Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My Brute just hit level 9! Personal Quest 528 killing four bosses leaves us at the mercy of the quest book. Especially since we keep going off on side missions. And we just finished mission 38. gently caress mission 38.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwarf74 posted:

My sun's personal quest is to watch teammates exhaust 15 times. :v:

The worst PQ in the game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PQ 521 actually does a decent job of that. You need to do 3 in the Dagger Forest. There's one early on that everyone gets access to, and then there are two short scenario chains that take place there. Plus you've got scattered scenarios from events and other places.

That drat quest is why it took me forever to retire my first character.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah PQ529 is bad. In my group someone pulled that on their starting spellweaver, who is now well into level 9 and is only just about to retire because we cheated and peeked ahead through the scenario tree to force the issue, while everyone else is well into their 2nd or even third character.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The worst PQ in the game.

100%

House rule the limit down to 12 exhausts at the very most, probably 10 or just agree to retire when you feel like it becaause that quest is SO SLOW

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We house ruled it down the back of the couch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Actually that PQ is hella solid outside of being entirely dependent on party member actions, and should be faster than the 12-scenario average in a party of four players.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Actually that PQ is hella solid outside of being entirely dependent on party member actions, and should be faster than the 12-scenario average in a party of four players.

In a 2P group though...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Shamelessly reminding everyone interested that we have a full coop LP of Gloomhaven just started, since we're embarking on the Black Barrows and the thread is going to discuss suggestions regarding starting items and starting decks for our party...https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=38774690

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Lots of discussion on Reddit about a suggested replacement for Stamina potions. Here's the Endurance Potion https://imgur.com/aOCSsLs

Stamina is definitely a game changer especially on Three Spears and when one is in your party.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lol, we have literally had single figures numbers of exhausts which weren't in scenarios where you could kill everything then dick around whilst waiting for people to get to the exit. It's entirely reliant on failure and failure SUCKS.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

KingKapalone posted:

Lots of discussion on Reddit about a suggested replacement for Stamina potions. Here's the Endurance Potion https://imgur.com/aOCSsLs

Stamina is definitely a game changer especially on Three Spears and when one is in your party.
I think it looks interesting, but we aren't going to be moving to these anytime soon.

I think we will make an immediate house-rule that you can't get a Stamina Potion back, once used during a scenario, though. That seems like an obvious thing we should do in general, and should at least stop the potential infinite XP loop.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, stamina potions and other similar items should absolutely 100% have the "cannot be recovered under any circumstances" icon. That prevents most of the truly degenerate stuff in the game, I believe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Stamina potions are still OP even if they can't be recovered.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

They are still better than any other small item slot, sure. The "can't recover" will only clamp down on the most serious of abuses.

We are still at a level where they aren't utterly overpowered, but I can see us changing it up down the road. Either using Isaac's official change or maybe these Endurance Potions.

e: Though I do admit, Rock Slide as three of my first four actions as a Cragheart was pretty baller.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 21, 2018

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't know that I agree, and I further don't know that I agree OP things need to be nerfed as a matter of course, but preventing them from being recovered keeps the actual legit broken poo poo out of the game and that does need to be fixed (especially when the fix is this easy).

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Isaac has said that stamina potions will be getting changed when the expansion comes out, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

Isaac has said that stamina potions will be getting changed when the expansion comes out, right?

Yes. IIRC Isaac's nerf is to reduce the number of cards recovered by 1, so Minors get 1 card back and Majors get 2 cards back.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think I would still take stamina potions on every character if they brought back 1 less card. Use them in a rest cycle that has an odd number of cards so you still get +1 turn, and you can still bring back your best non-loss card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

I think I would still take stamina potions on every character if they brought back 1 less card. Use them in a rest cycle that has an odd number of cards so you still get +1 turn, and you can still bring back your best non-loss card.
The key usage is to cycle your best non-loss card. Like the aforementioned double or triple rock slide. Or Triangles Level 7. Extending the number of turns is just a helpful side effect.

Which is why the Endurance Potion houserules basically let you recycle a few basic Move 2/Attack 2 actions without burning cards for them. Which is still really nice for when your plans get hosed and you decide not to do a loss, or your attack gets foiled.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

The key usage is to cycle your best non-loss card. Like the aforementioned double or triple rock slide. Or Triangles Level 7. Extending the number of turns is just a helpful side effect.

Which is why the Endurance Potion houserules basically let you recycle a few basic Move 2/Attack 2 actions without burning cards for them. Which is still really nice for when your plans get hosed and you decide not to do a loss, or your attack gets foiled.

This version makes it a LOT more tempting to actually use those poo poo-awful double losses, if you can only recover default moves.

It does make a specific build of a specific (already hella powerful) class stupidly more powerful than everything else though. Class in the first spoiler, discussion in the second.

Music Note

Specifically, the melee striker build that just grabs a Versatile Dagger and goes to loving TOWN using that stupid good attack deck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Yes. IIRC Isaac's nerf is to reduce the number of cards recovered by 1, so Minors get 1 card back and Majors get 2 cards back.

That's still really powerful because most of the time when I use a stamina potion I really only want one card have to spend time figuring out what the 2nd card should be.

I agree with the nerf though and also agree on making them so they can't be recovered as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I agree no recovery on stamina potions. I've tried to convince my playgroup to adopt the "1 fewer card" fix but it's 3 to 1 against nerfing them. "Why would you want to make them weaker? They're amazing! I love stamina potions!"

I have to actively work to convince everyone to bump the difficulty up on a regular basis. If it weren't for the higher coin rewards at higher tiers I'd have never done so.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I agree no recovery on stamina potions. I've tried to convince my playgroup to adopt the "1 fewer card" fix but it's 3 to 1 against nerfing them. "Why would you want to make them weaker? They're amazing! I love stamina potions!"

I have to actively work to convince everyone to bump the difficulty up on a regular basis. If it weren't for the higher coin rewards at higher tiers I'd have never done so.

Same with my group. I think I can convince them to go +1 next session but we will have 2 retirements after that so they will probably want to go back to normal with new characters. If my wife ends up picking Music Note I am going to push hard for a difficulty bump after she plays it for a couple scenarios because it's so ridiculous.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Now that I think about the stamina potion problem, it occurs to me that they'd still be amazing if instead of working as they do now, you could use one when taking a short or long rest to avoid needing to lose a card. That might be too powerful without something to mitigate the effectiveness, though, like limiting it to when you've already got half of your starting hand of cards lost.

Make card recovery a little harder and the abilities that allow you to recover cards from your discard pile will become more desirable, too.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Stamina Potions are the reason I consider +1 scenario level to be baseline easy mode and +2 a reasonable challenge. I don't mind them (well, until item recursion abuse), but you do have to raise the difficulty of the game once you get them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thespaceinvader posted:

Does your Sun have The Enhancement? It sucks the big one without it. It lights on FIRE once it gets it, but you do need to religiously(!) keep your move 3, 4, and 5 cards available to use AS moves, even at the expense of using good top actions. I've never had more fun in Gloomhaven than kicking down a door into a huge room full of ranged enemies and taking 0 damage from all their attacks.

On reflection, the only thing that really disappoints me about Sun is that it was felt necessary to gatekeep its effectiveness behind a hundred-gold enhancement. It means that people can start it and just... not get how great it is.

Yes.
But he's ridiculously slow, so we've already done everything before he got chance. Like I'm not saying the class is bad. He just never really got to do anything because we'd already done it.

None of my group (including me) would want to make the game harder though. While it's enjoyable it's a slog at times and making stuff harder just seems like a pain. It's hard enough getting through two games in 6 hours, can't imagine it otherwise.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 22, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, I finally retired my Brute after finishing Mission 48 (which was a really cool fight, even though he kept spamming Imps at us), and I got my new class... Helmet? Gonna be our first time really using a primarily ranged attacker. I'm bringing the net along so I can hopefully get into some "immobilize before you hit me" multitarget shenanigans. This is gonna be fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Angry Face is really really strong.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

Angry Face is really really strong.

Hilariously so. I'm intentionally avoiding retiring mine because I'm having such a good time with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a personal goal that requires certain missions, so depending on whether I like it, I can either beeline retirement or hit level 9 again.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

Yes.
But he's ridiculously slow, so we've already done everything before he got chance. Like I'm not saying the class is bad. He just never really got to do anything because we'd already done it.

None of my group (including me) would want to make the game harder though. While it's enjoyable it's a slog at times and making stuff harder just seems like a pain. It's hard enough getting through two games in 6 hours, can't imagine it otherwise.

Sun: the BIG trick is to never, ever use those move 3+ cards other than as moves, and to bring the boost of Striding. You need to move, and to keep moving, and to know the fights where putting the shields up hurts too much. I never found it sloggy, but I always made an effort to stay at the front as much as possible, even if it meant leaving some of the targets behind, because I knew they would chase me.

But you know, to each his own.

E: ANgry Face is great. Sun and Angry Face have been my most favouritest classes to play, both for very different reasons, and I took both to level 9 and enjoyed them both immensely.

I'm playing Brute (called Broot) in the community campaign now, and liking him a lot too.

I am Broot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Another trick with Sun is that you don't always need to put up the big shield immediately - a common strategy I used was to charge forwards on the first turn (while everyone else is often staying put with ranged attacks), and only putting up the shield when it makes sense to.

And similarly once you're down to the end of the scenario, don't be afraid to ditch the shield and get your movement back if there aren't many enemies left and you don't think you're gonna need it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hilariously so. I'm intentionally avoiding retiring mine because I'm having such a good time with it.

Angry Face spoilers: I'm playing him in the Capital Intrigue campaign and he can dish out 7 damage per round easily at range with the right combination of cards. He doesn't exactly have a movement problem beyond the issue that you really don't want to be moving very often if you're fighting. Even his summons have some utility to them; the boar can actually take a few hits at lower level.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Sun
I plan on getting the enhancement as soon as I get a hundred gold, but I felt it was smarter to at least carry a basic kit into battle first, since it's all stuff I'll want, eventually. So my 75 (with 2 gold discounts) went to chain mail, major stam, minor mana, and boots of striding. And now - I'm saving up for the enhancement.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Sun
I plan on getting the enhancement as soon as I get a hundred gold, but I felt it was smarter to at least carry a basic kit into battle first, since it's all stuff I'll want, eventually. So my 75 (with 2 gold discounts) went to chain mail, major stam, minor mana, and boots of striding. And now - I'm saving up for the enhancement.

This is absolutely the right way to go about it, by the by.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I agree.

Also Sun's solo scenario reward is a rather good shield and can save you a pile of money.

EDIT:
Level 9 Sun, Level 5 Eclipse, Scenario 78, failure.

The special cultists get to the third room very quickly giving you with something like 2 elite / 2 normal imps, 4 cultists and 2 archers attacking you while you try and burn down two elite cultists in a handful of turns. It's really loving nasty.

We almost pulled it off but had some terrible luck, mostly when Sun got immobilised twice in a row in the doorway to the main room by the archers but also when the cultists pulled out some very low initiative cards early on. It'll be a joke going back with a level 6 eclipse though.

This thread has some good answers for the special movement rules.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 23, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Thanks. I had a feeling, but was tempted nonetheless!

We randomly unlocked the Brilliant Blade a few sessions back, and I don't know enough about how the class plays yet to decide if it's worth saving for. My gut tells me I have enough ways to burn sun, but another option never hurts. After The Enhancement of course, unless I don't find myself tanking with this party makeup.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dwarf74 posted:

Sun

dwarf74 posted:

Thanks. I had a feeling, but was tempted nonetheless!

We randomly unlocked the Brilliant Blade a few sessions back, and I don't know enough about how the class plays yet to decide if it's worth saving for. My gut tells me I have enough ways to burn sun, but another option never hurts. After The Enhancement of course, unless I don't find myself tanking with this party makeup.

Sun spoiler chat:

I actually went with the jump boots instead of striding boots and found them more useful. We were playing 4p though so it got really crowded. If you do go 4p, consider getting the retaliate card at 5th level and then enhancing it to +3 retaliate. Whole rooms just break themselves on your face, it's amazing.

And yeah, Brilliant Blade wouldn't *hurt* to have -- but it's gonna depend on your build. Some Sun builds don't really use the generate/consume mechanic that much and others do. Blade's only gonna be useful if you're consistently generating more sun than you're using, and given the solo scenario item that's not gonna be common.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You can definitely make use of the Brilliant Blade, and I wish I'd had it when I ran my Sun, because I went with a build that skipped the level 5 burn sun for +1 and advantage power, so I often ended up with sun I couldn't use, but it's by no means essential.