Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Slime isekai is isekai civ rather than isekai rpg

It's both. It really does have a lo of elements reminiscent of the games I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
On the subject of Gobta being the best and real cool, he does get his reward before too long. He also gets a nice sword eventually.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I liked their take on the carrot and stick motivation when Gobta fought Gabiru. If you win you'll get a shiny stick but if you lose you'll have to eat her cooked carrot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

I liked their take on the carrot and stick motivation when Gobta fought Gabiru. If you win you'll get a shiny stick but if you lose you'll have to eat her cooked carrot.

What doesn't kill Gobta only makes him stronger.

Nothing can kill Gobta.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

What doesn't kill Gobta only makes him stronger.

Nothing can kill Gobta.

Gobta is the true final boss.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Gobta goes through so much poo poo but he always levels up from it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Gobta really hit the character lottery in the naming process. All those other goblins got names and turned into pretty hobgoblins but are relegated to essentially generic populace and never heard from again, but Gobta gets to look the same but be the strongest of standard goblins and be cool on the front lines and kicking both Lizard and Orc butt.

His power-ups should keep coming from Rimuru screwing him over too, that'll never get old to me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's still a Hobgoblin; some of them didn't get mega-swole when they evolved. Convenient, since they make good candidates for the cavalry. Pretty sure someone like Rigurdo would squish any wolf except Ranga.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Gobta got his own chapter in the light novel, detailing his travels to the dwarven kingdom the first time and what a goddamned hero he is.

i feel like bringing this up again since we're still on gobta chat; i ended up getting the first LN because of it and man, I love Gobta. what a scrappy little dude. he's got the highest luck stat of them all, huh? :allears: Would recommend picking it up for that chapter alone if anyone's on the fence. Or just read the chapter in a bookstore or something, haha.

In the very mildest of possible spoilers, I will say Gobta keeps being the best and keeps leveling up, at least through LN 3. So proud of the lil dude. And from such humble beginnings ...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

i feel like bringing this up again since we're still on gobta chat; i ended up getting the first LN because of it and man, I love Gobta. what a scrappy little dude. he's got the highest luck stat of them all, huh? :allears: Would recommend picking it up for that chapter alone if anyone's on the fence. Or just read the chapter in a bookstore or something, haha.

In the very mildest of possible spoilers, I will say Gobta keeps being the best and keeps leveling up, at least through LN 3. So proud of the lil dude. And from such humble beginnings ...

I'm so glad you picked the books up. They're a lot more detailed aren't they.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I'm so glad you picked the books up. They're a lot more detailed aren't they.

They really are! And honestly the official translation is really great, too.

I tried reading the fan translation of the web novel for like ... twenty seconds before I gave up. I was half ready to try leaning on my dictionary all the way through the original JP version before I found out the official release was so well done.

But yeah, lots more detail. It's been fun comparing with the anime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

They really are! And honestly the official translation is really great, too.

I tried reading the fan translation of the web novel for like ... twenty seconds before I gave up. I was half ready to try leaning on my dictionary all the way through the original JP version before I found out the official release was so well done.

But yeah, lots more detail. It's been fun comparing with the anime.

Agreed about the details. You really get a major understanding of the worlds mechanics and how his skills work along with his internal monologues like how he's initially kind of condescending towards the monsters and doesn't fully intergrate until much later after having lived with them for some time.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Agreed about the details. You really get a major understanding of the worlds mechanics and how his skills work along with his internal monologues like how he's initially kind of condescending towards the monsters and doesn't fully intergrate until much later after having lived with them for some time.

Ahh, he really is. And mechanics stuff + village-building stuff like the world voice vs the Great Sage voice. I love that they sound the same to him but aren't actually quite the same source, that's pretty entertaining. And it's really delightful seeing how like the goblins react on evolution, how excited they are that they got to hear the World Voice since usually nobody really does. Also I love how much time the author spent designing the town's water system and detailing its construction. It's interesting you mention him integrating w the monsters - I feel like the anime does a lot better with Rigurd specifically but the LN does better with Rimuru's viewpoint evolving as he gets to know everyone and feels more involved instead of just kinda obligated or sidetracked. Not sure if that needed spoilers but I'm being safe. It really does feel like an RPG meets Civ.

... Speaking of naming, NowonSA said Gobta hit the lottery, and MAN, later on... (intentionally vague spoiler) some characters 100% do not. The background goblins are really lucky comparatively compared to like Mountain M1 or whatever...

None of the spoilers in this post are major plot points on their own, just comparing LN content to the anime with some minor thoughts on things that happen in upcoming arcs without spoiling major characters or plot points.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Ahh, he really is. And mechanics stuff + village-building stuff like the world voice vs the Great Sage voice. I love that they sound the same to him but aren't actually quite the same source, that's pretty entertaining. And it's really delightful seeing how like the goblins react on evolution, how excited they are that they got to hear the World Voice since usually nobody really does. Also I love how much time the author spent designing the town's water system and detailing its construction. It's interesting you mention him integrating w the monsters - I feel like the anime does a lot better with Rigurd specifically but the LN does better with Rimuru's viewpoint evolving as he gets to know everyone and feels more involved instead of just kinda obligated or sidetracked. Not sure if that needed spoilers but I'm being safe. It really does feel like an RPG meets Civ.

... Speaking of naming, NowonSA said Gobta hit the lottery, and MAN, later on... (intentionally vague spoiler) some characters 100% do not. The background goblins are really lucky comparatively compared to like Mountain M1 or whatever...

None of the spoilers in this post are major plot points on their own, just comparing LN content to the anime with some minor thoughts on things that happen in upcoming arcs without spoiling major characters or plot points.

Same as above. No major spoilers outside of relating to the above so tagged just in case.

Well hey, there was 150k of them. Either you take too long and some die because you spent 10 minutes thinking of the perfect name, or you just go with whatever is easiest and gets it over quickest. His thoughts on the passing the names on by adding numbers was hilarious though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can we chill with the spoiler blocks? If you guys need to talk about the source material that badly maybe another thread is warranted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

Can we chill with the spoiler blocks? If you guys need to talk about the source material that badly maybe another thread is warranted.

...That would be nice yes.

I know there's a section for Light Novels and such but didn't this listed there.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 31, 2018

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

sorry, i was trying to at least be clear what i meant bc i know unexplained spoilers are obnoxious but i know even with a lil more clarity it’s still frustrating. my enthusiasm got the best of me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I appreciate that you marked the spoilers as light, but I was finding it frustrating to see the thread has a bunch more posts but I can't participate without being spoiled in some way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Slime isekai is isekai civ rather than isekai rpg

its isekai actraiser

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ViggyNash posted:

I appreciate that you marked the spoilers as light, but I was finding it frustrating to see the thread has a bunch more posts but I can't participate without being spoiled in some way.

Sorry. The LN's go on sale fairly often either via Yen Press or Bookwalker so you can score them cheap that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

Sorry. The LN's go on sale fairly often either via Yen Press or Bookwalker so you can score them cheap that way.
yeah, but there should be a thread for the LNs/WNs then because the manga, and then anime, are far, far behind them. Other series have multiple threads for correspondingly spaced out versions, slime isekai is huge enough to warrant it too tbh

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's really too bad that the evil demon tyrant Wark Say made it illegal to make new threads here in ADTRW. Curse them! :argh:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, but there should be a thread for the LNs/WNs then because the manga, and then anime, are far, far behind them. Other series have multiple threads for correspondingly spaced out versions, slime isekai is huge enough to warrant it too tbh

Dunno how to make a thread and I'm at work but here's the title it should have for those that can make it.

Diary of an OP Slime - That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime LN and Manga Thread.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Dunno how to make a thread and I'm at work but here's the title it should have for those that can make it.

Diary of an OP Slime - That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime LN and Manga Thread.

you click the post button

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

paragon1 posted:

It's really too bad that the evil demon tyrant Wark Say made it illegal to make new threads here in ADTRW. Curse them! :argh:

this will work out as well it does in the other split threads

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes, I agree that it will work out very well and a fun time will be had by all. :colbert:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878485

now it exists AND it's missing a letter

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lol. I just assume it's the legendary D from One Piece. Other than that,

Happy New Years(Veldora Boar Edition)!

Oni Edition!

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 1, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

this will work out as well it does in the other split threads

you mean "better than not at all"?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yesterday I learned from the year end sakuga blog picks that the guy who animated the OP for Slime was also responsible for most of the incredible swordfight episode of Princes Principal, which explains why all the motion in it is so good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Yesterday I learned from the year end sakuga blog picks that the guy who animated the OP for Slime was also responsible for most of the incredible swordfight episode of Princes Principal, which explains why all the motion in it is so good.

Who, Ebata? Yeah people have been commenting on that and him being the reason everything looks so awesome.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When do we get the second half anyway?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

When do we get the second half anyway?

The second cour will start next week.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Now you too can hug an boob pillow the Slime Overlord.

https://otakumode.com/projects/tensra_cushion

Funny thing is, that these are 100% to scale of what his proportions would actually be like.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do things from Asia usually take 4 months to ship?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

It takes a long while yes. Anywhere from weeks to months.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Grouchio posted:

Well, you're preordering a made-to-order (I assume) item, so that's sort of how long it takes.

Hell, Nendoroids can take near to a year sometimes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Possibly but that sounds long. Driven to the port, customs, loaded on a feeder ship, sailing, reloading on a bigger ship, sailing, reloading on a feeder ship, sailing, customs, unloading, driven from port. Will normally never take even two months I think.

Oh, it's made to order. Yeah that would explain it. My guess would be that they make a big batch every so often and not actually crafting one everytime someone places an order.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The big Rimuru is nearly 1kg

A whole kilogram of hugging slime.

I'd love to buy one but I'm not sure I can justify spending £100 on a cushion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Poil posted:

Possibly but that sounds long. Driven to the port, customs, loaded on a feeder ship, sailing, reloading on a bigger ship, sailing, reloading on a feeder ship, sailing, customs, unloading, driven from port. Will normally never take even two months I think.

Oh, it's made to order. Yeah that would explain it. My guess would be that they make a big batch every so often and not actually crafting one everytime someone places an order.

Yeah, sorry, they do a production run based on their preorder numbers, as I understand it.