Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

nice lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gorefiend posted:

I just finished the HG Gusion Rebake Full City and I kind of hated that kit. The stickers were real bad and it really does not like having the scissors attached to the back it seems.

Yeah, agreed, I really want to high effort paint that thing and see how it turns out . It's got sweet gimmicks and a nice profile but jfc those loving stickers. I wonder if the color separation sucks because they had to dedicate so much runner space to the mechanics.

Also it needs more guns! It has four arms for chrissake! You need a weapons pack or leftovers from another kit just to make full use of the whole figure. Then they release the Rebake instead of the Full City as a 1/100.

Like the kit represents all the shittier aspects of this hobby: it's a great design limited by engineering decisions and maybe even business ones. The RG Unicorn is a way more complicated design yet they pulled out all the stops and it turns out to be an engineering miracle. You put the Unicorn and Full City side by side and it's like, blindingly obvious which design was given more budget.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TendouToys/status/1077915896893497345

I'm excited

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

Also it needs more guns! It has four arms for chrissake! You need a weapons pack or leftovers from another kit just to make full use of the whole figure.

It means you can also get those guns for kitbashing so it's not a bad compromise.

Also those hands are free by default for The Big Scissors :colbert:.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Enjoy.

(Backdrop is makeshift because loving HUGE)

this is dope

when you have a decal that goes over a part that transforms (the "2" on the left shoulder for example), do you cut the decal into pieces before putting it on, or place it with the part closed then cut it?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Yessss. That Banshee is also rad.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Kuvo posted:

this is dope

when you have a decal that goes over a part that transforms (the "2" on the left shoulder for example), do you cut the decal into pieces before putting it on, or place it with the part closed then cut it?

The decals that break up are already multi-part. You kinda have to fuss them into place so they align properly.

You can kinda see them in this photo in the bottom right.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also those hands are free by default for The Big Scissors :colbert:.

:hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

this is dope

Trying to align them with the parts separate is an exercise in frustration. If they're a single piece, build the part up or blutack it together, then place the decal and cut it. Even if it's precut like here, assembling the piece first is almost mandatory unless there are precise alignment features on the parts and they assemble cleanly, and I don't even trust Bandai for that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh god, this RG Sazabi has so many stickers. :stonk:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Mordja posted:

Oh god, this RG Sazabi has so many stickers. :stonk:

They're worth it but putting them all on took me almsot as long as building the drat thing...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RillAkBea posted:

Looks like Bandai finally remembered they promised to HG every Gundam.

Going to be great when they remember G Gundam exsists.

HG Tequila gonna be raaaaaad.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone that is interested Banzai Hobby are doing their new year lucky bag promo again.

2 gundam options for :

12,800 yen (22 items mainly of  HG / HGUC / HGBD / HGBF )

30,000 yen (15 pieces including 5 RG, 2 mg, 1 HiRM + others)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dammit, I was trying to move RG Unicorn Banshee Norn's left arm to place a sticker, and the shoulder joint was so tight it snapped the hole in the L-shaped piece in the chest the arm attaches to. Something that tight to withstand arm/accessory weight should be supported by something other than a single peg with a wall thicker than 3mm.

Found a new place that can send you parts from Bandai's replacement service, but of course Bandai's out of G runners for the kit, and Bandai's site says that the cost of just that runner (rather than an idividual part, assuming it was in stock) is 4320 yen, which is the MSRP for the full kit itself.

Gundamstoreandmore seems to be dead, so that doesn't look like an option.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 1, 2019

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
More reasons to jam that RG in storage and never touch it.

On yours does the little dark green cylinder stay in the gun for you?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any chance someone has a 1/144 Vidar they don't need the arm armor for? I am a genius and didn't realize that I was holding my parts too close to the heat gun while heat-gunning them to dry the paint. I have warped three out of the four forearm armor parts.

I'll temp-swap them in with Barbatos arm armor if it'll fit around the frame, but it won't be the same.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MJP posted:

Any chance someone has a 1/144 Vidar they don't need the arm armor for? I am a genius and didn't realize that I was holding my parts too close to the heat gun while heat-gunning them to dry the paint. I have warped three out of the four forearm armor parts.

I'll temp-swap them in with Barbatos arm armor if it'll fit around the frame, but it won't be the same.

Get a System Base and turn it into a cool repair diorama

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So for anyone who REALLY wanted that MG Blue Frame that Dragon Momoko was making before they got murdered, GMC just put up a pre-order page for it.

Bad news - It's only 32 kits, so you're looking at 140 dollars US if you want it. http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-blue-frame-gundam

EDIT: AAAAAAND sold out.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 2, 2019

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MJP posted:

Heat guns bad. Hair driers good. Especially ones that have low heat settings.

TBH, you're best not snap drying paint at all. part of the paint drying process is a reactivation of the previous paint layer/plastic so it forms a better bond.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That's the Moon Gundam done, really fun build. It doesn't have quite the full internal frame that I had led myself to believe (only the arms and the legs have a frame, the torso and the head are just snapped together armour) but building a weird spindly robot skeleton and then putting armour over it is fun as hell. Only makes me want to try a Real Grade even more.

I love the colours on it, going for a purple-ish blue (or blue-ish purple, how ever you want to put it) rather than normal-all Gundam blue makes it pop nicely. It's so nicely detailed that I'm not sure if I even want to panel line it. I mean, I probably will but I'm a bit cack-handed with that stuff I'm kind of afraid of ruining the look of the kit with smudging the lines.

While including an Action Base 5 is awesome I really wish they included the full instructions for the thing rather than a cut-down "here is what to do with only the pieces we'll think you'll need" instructions. I hadn't built an AB5 before so I had to spend some time looking at and playing with the left over pieces to figure out what they're for. And some of them I'm still not sure about.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Veotax posted:

That's the Moon Gundam done, really fun build. It doesn't have quite the full internal frame that I had led myself to believe (only the arms and the legs have a frame, the torso and the head are just snapped together armour) but building a weird spindly robot skeleton and then putting armour over it is fun as hell. Only makes me want to try a Real Grade even more.

The PG Exia is pretty much the ultimate kit for being able to build the frame first. The only thing you have to remove/leave off are the hands.

This was mine during the build:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I have had to stop myself buying another PG Exia as it looks so drat good with the lights just built as a frame.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I kinda want to do a second Exia too, but with the Repair kit. I really enjoyed the build.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I really love that Exia kit and every time I get drunk on the computer I want to get one as a second PG, but I just can't get excited enough about the suit itself to go through that build. Exia just always just looks to me like it has a giant head.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Starting the Bandai no-grade Big O. I’m very excited about it despite pretty reasonably low expectations about such an old kit, but drat literally the first step requires gluing two tiny itty bitty bits onto the red dome since there’s no socket for them, which I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen before for Bandai I think everything else is the usual but I was pretty jarred by that.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ANAmal.net posted:

I really love that Exia kit and every time I get drunk on the computer I want to get one as a second PG, but I just can't get excited enough about the suit itself to go through that build. Exia just always just looks to me like it has a giant head.

I never really liked the Exia and and of the other 00 models, but when I saw the PG with the lighting model announced, I thought that looks pretty good and bought it as a treat to myself.

Its now hands down one of, if not my favourite kit. It is a ton of fun to build, even the plastic feels of a higher grade and easier to work with. Finished it looks amazing and once I was finished with it, i was actually kinda upset that the build was over.

If you can get your hands on the MJH (Dragon Momoko) aftermarket LED kit it is a 1/3rd of the price, which if you bought the base model of the PG reduces the price considerably and apparently has one less bay for batteries, but gains a micro USB port so you can plug the thing in and have the lights on all the time and use it like the best lamp there ever is.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Gonna be streaming Sazabi Ka painting tonight, 8pm GMT.

Painting clear red over Chrome, with tips and tricks on getting it right.

https://www.twitch.tv/xaerael_endiel

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

DamnGlitch posted:

Starting the Bandai no-grade Big O. I’m very excited about it despite pretty reasonably low expectations about such an old kit, but drat literally the first step requires gluing two tiny itty bitty bits onto the red dome since there’s no socket for them, which I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen before for Bandai I think everything else is the usual but I was pretty jarred by that.

I'm extremely jealous! Where'd you get it?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jesus Christ! I'm attempting to do the waterslides for the MG Sinanju OVA (pre-assembly) and god drat, your granddaddy's waterslides these ain't! Curved surfaces, corners and embossings all on the same piece? You betcha and if you poke them too much the gold film breaks apart. :smithicide: I mean I've got all the right tools, I've got Mr. Mark Setter AND Mr. Mark Softer but they just don't want to cooperate. I'm pretty close to just painstakingly hand painting the gold trim, because these waterslides are just not working for me.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 4, 2019

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of, I got the MG ZZ Ver Ka as a Christmas present as my first ever build (only hosed one thing up but it was pretty inconsequential). Haven't done the transformation yet but is there a good tutorial for doing the water decals? Thinking I might leave that until I get some more experience, I've already bought two more HG's.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

screaden posted:

Speaking of, I got the MG ZZ Ver Ka as a Christmas present as my first ever build (only hosed one thing up but it was pretty inconsequential). Haven't done the transformation yet but is there a good tutorial for doing the water decals? Thinking I might leave that until I get some more experience, I've already bought two more HG's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RThCDlx9EJE

Keep in mind the one thing about waterslides, unless you use those or order other's there's not a lot of chances to practice with them. Pretty much the only kits that have them are Ver Ka's and p-bandai kits/p-bandai NA mass releases like the Exia Avalanche, 00 XN, Quant Full Saber.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

screaden posted:

If you wa t to practice waterslides, order some cheap random ones off ebay and practice on a cheap plane kit that has lots of angles and curved surfaces.

Will be good practice for manoeuvring them and such.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

You can even buy blank waterslide paper off ebay for a couple bucks a sheet and print your own.

As you can see, that buttflap peace symbol really got away from me.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I ended up ripping off the waterslides and throwing them in the garbage. Handpainting the gold trim actually worked out much easier than I thought. Gold on black just works really well and with an ultra fine brush there was never really enough paint in play for it to flow away.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Puddin posted:

I never really liked the Exia and and of the other 00 models, but when I saw the PG with the lighting model announced, I thought that looks pretty good and bought it as a treat to myself.

Its now hands down one of, if not my favourite kit. It is a ton of fun to build, even the plastic feels of a higher grade and easier to work with. Finished it looks amazing and once I was finished with it, i was actually kinda upset that the build was over.

If you can get your hands on the MJH (Dragon Momoko) aftermarket LED kit it is a 1/3rd of the price, which if you bought the base model of the PG reduces the price considerably and apparently has one less bay for batteries, but gains a micro USB port so you can plug the thing in and have the lights on all the time and use it like the best lamp there ever is.

God I wish they all had this, I'd buy one of the lit-up PGs and use it as a slightly less trashy version of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.

That's good to know though, and I really do think the kit looks awesome, I just wish it was a mech I liked more - if they do a PG Nu up to the same standard I'll buy it in a heartbeat, and I actually almost picked up the Unicorn, but I already have it in RG and I don't know if I want to build a bigger version of the same one when there are so many other designs out there.

RillAkBea posted:

I ended up ripping off the waterslides and throwing them in the garbage. Handpainting the gold trim actually worked out much easier than I thought. Gold on black just works really well and with an ultra fine brush there was never really enough paint in play for it to flow away.

This seems like the way to go, I can't imagine those waterslides going on well at all, and the gold all being raised detail is going to make painting it on go pretty easy (with the caveat that I've been painting models well before I got into GunPla, so I'm used to dealing with that).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

This seems like the way to go, I can't imagine those waterslides going on well at all, and the gold all being raised detail is going to make painting it on go pretty easy (with the caveat that I've been painting models well before I got into GunPla, so I'm used to dealing with that).

Many builders have been successful with the reverse wash as well - paint the whole area gold, paint a differently-based black over it, then gently wipe the black off the raised parts to reveal the gold.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Midjack posted:

Many builders have been successful with the reverse wash as well - paint the whole area gold, paint a differently-based black over it, then gently wipe the black off the raised parts to reveal the gold.

Don't forget a clear coat between the two, else you'll wipe off both colours when you hit it with the thinner and q-tip.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Don't forget a clear coat between the two, else you'll wipe off both colours when you hit it with the thinner and q-tip.

Critical step.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Clear coat is basically CTRL+ S for gunpla.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Clear coat is basically CTRL+ S for gunpla.

Except when you use too much and it starts to pool and then it's like CTRL + SSSsssSSSSS