Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NYC is a moderate-to-major international trip for me :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I live in Boston and so have no excuse for not visiting it and MArcelo’s

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

NYC is a moderate-to-major international trip for me :/

Good reason!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah that’s a casual 15,498kms for me to travel

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah that’s a casual 15,498kms for me to travel

Makes my 2,847 seem like nothin' by comparison! I think if I got a direct flight I could do it in like 8 hours, depending on what it's like to go from JFK to RGA. It's not insurmountable, but I'd have to be planning a NYC trip first and foremost.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Been in a slump recently. I've not been progressing in skill at all since my rotator cuff tore. I've been training once a week on average because of trying to take care of it (3-4 nights a week of PT for it and taking nights off when it hurts too much eats up a lot of time). The doctor says probably 6-10 months until it's back at full strength, maybe longer if I push it and reinjure sooner.

It almost feels like im backsliding even though I'm probably just not improving and everyone else around my level is able to go 2-3 times a week at least and I'm stuck not using my left arm at full strength to keep from reinjuring it which limits what I can actually do.

Any advice for how to deal with this frustration?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I live near Pittsburgh so I’d love to hit Yuns up for a roll...when I’m at least a blue belt. Until then I’ll just have to live vicariously through videos.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

Have a favorite? I'm trying to decide which one to get. Between Kimuras and the Leg game right now.

I spent most of it watching front headlocks as I've been stalemates in positions where those would work. I'll probably watch it again for further learning on thw way back.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

All you guys could come visit me and work on this stuff in the blue basement, but despite my years of invitations I've had like 5 people reach out to me and only 2 that I trained with Odddzy and Decades, I missed meeting JaySB's friend because I was travelling.

I wish I could get to NYC easily. Someone invent that Star Trek transporter technology.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I am also in NYC and enjoy rolling with people and as a bonus I'm like 100x easier to beat than Yuns and also you won't have to go to an 8am class to do it :toot:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

L0cke17 posted:

Been in a slump recently. I've not been progressing in skill at all since my rotator cuff tore. I've been training once a week on average because of trying to take care of it (3-4 nights a week of PT for it and taking nights off when it hurts too much eats up a lot of time). The doctor says probably 6-10 months until it's back at full strength, maybe longer if I push it and reinjure sooner.

It almost feels like im backsliding even though I'm probably just not improving and everyone else around my level is able to go 2-3 times a week at least and I'm stuck not using my left arm at full strength to keep from reinjuring it which limits what I can actually do.

Any advice for how to deal with this frustration?

I spent a year or two like this - basically maintaining because life had other priorities. Only advice is just grind it out and remember life has seasons.

Also since you're dealing with injury, focus on progress there.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Been back at my old gym for holiday break and having a lot of my teammates tell me I'm making good progress despite missing most of 2018 on the mats. Wooo. Now gotta get this weight off.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I refuse to train with Yuns.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

ICHIBAHN posted:

NYC is a concrete jungle after all

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wonder how many knees he's destroyed...

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
All of them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
i generally heel hook people who try to heel hook me. My favorite heel hooks are all counter attacks on leg locks. These days I'm more likely to finish with an arm bar.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I need to learn a good leg attack. The other day a dude was basically keeping me away with an extended leg and I thought to myself "if I knew a knee bar or something I would try for it right now"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

You could also try just getting into an offensive position, like the saddle. Might be more achievable than going straight for a leg lock. And remember: position before submission!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I need to learn a good leg attack. The other day a dude was basically keeping me away with an extended leg and I thought to myself "if I knew a knee bar or something I would try for it right now"

Heel hook? Traditionally, when someone "iron boot"s your anklelock, it exposes their heel for the outside heel hook.

Although maybe you can't do that (dark arts for lyfe), or the position didn't lend itself towards it. :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Drewjitsu posted:

Heel hook? Traditionally, when someone "iron boot"s your anklelock, it exposes their heel for the outside heel hook.

Although maybe you can't do that (dark arts for lyfe), or the position didn't lend itself towards it. :shrug:

Yeah our school is really against ever reaping the knee so I am not sure what's allowed and not allowed. I think heel hooks are ok but I don't know how to do one and am not sure it's best to try to figure out on a dude while rolling.

Count Roland posted:

You could also try just getting into an offensive position, like the saddle. Might be more achievable than going straight for a leg lock. And remember: position before submission!

Yeah, I have a list of escapes and transitions I want to drill at the open mat we are holding today. I will add that in.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The idea that reaping is too dangerous but heel hooks aren't is hilarious.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that reaping is too dangerous but heel hooks aren't is hilarious.

I dont think it's a danger thing as much as most local tournaments dont allow it so he doesn't want to teach us stuff we can't use

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Do most not just gyms go by Ibjjf rules for rolling?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I just re-watched Royler vs Bravo 2 and it is still so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0088BT-DfeI

the torque on Royler's knee at the end is disgusting

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Every gym has their idiosyncrasies.

My gym is more "be aware that white belts are dumb and spazzy so if you hurt them its on you, but other wise do what you want." and on the other side I've seen a few gyms that ban even straight ankle locks till blue belt.

edit: The only submission that seems universally banned is neck cranks, and I can respect that.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 1, 2019

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Ghetto Blaster posted:

most bad ones maybe. that would blow

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

old.flv posted:

I just re-watched Royler vs Bravo 2 and it is still so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0088BT-DfeI

the torque on Royler's knee at the end is disgusting

Watching that match a million times, especially Bravo's walkthrough of the match on JRE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiNg4-kc1s) is the basis of my BJJ life. My gym is mostly pajama wearing IBJJF style, but my best moves are all 10th planet concepts. When I watched the match live, I thought "oh poo poo, Eddie is about to get smashed" and then I quickly learned how cool electric chairs are. In the breakdown video, he says how excited he was that Royler let him have quarter guard. What!? All I wanted after that was to know how to turn lovely nothing guards into sweeps. I re-watched the halfguard DVD from the Mastering The Rubber Guard set after the Metamoris match. Bravo basically describes exactly the strategy and sequence used in the Royler rematch. Bravo doing a live demo of his DVD series on an uncooperative Royler Gracie was pretty rad.

I cringe listening to him talk about nearly anything else, but his descriptions and systems of jiu jitsu have been more natural for me to apply than anyone else's.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Watching that match a million times, especially Bravo's walkthrough of the match on JRE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiNg4-kc1s) is the basis of my BJJ life. My gym is mostly pajama wearing IBJJF style, but my best moves are all 10th planet concepts. When I watched the match live, I thought "oh poo poo, Eddie is about to get smashed" and then I quickly learned how cool electric chairs are. In the breakdown video, he says how excited he was that Royler let him have quarter guard. What!? All I wanted after that was to know how to turn lovely nothing guards into sweeps. I re-watched the halfguard DVD from the Mastering The Rubber Guard set after the Metamoris match. Bravo basically describes exactly the strategy and sequence used in the Royler rematch. Bravo doing a live demo of his DVD series on an uncooperative Royler Gracie was pretty rad.

I cringe listening to him talk about nearly anything else, but his descriptions and systems of jiu jitsu have been more natural for me to apply than anyone else's.

yeah the jre walkthrough was crazy. i couldn't believe how in control he was at literally every juncture of that match. i mean, he obviously 'won' the fight in my eyes, but i didn't realise it was an embarrassing domination.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Eddie is really good at bjj - teaching and doing and seems to have a head for business given all his affiliates and ebi and what not.

It's like two different people when he switches to other topics.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I sat and watched two brown belts try to deconstruct and re-enact the exact Hall/Penn finish today

owned

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I sat and watched two brown belts try to deconstruct and re-enact the exact Hall/Penn finish today

owned

Were they able to figure it out? Lachlan Giles put up a video breaking it down.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Were they able to figure it out? Lachlan Giles put up a video breaking it down.

Yeah they got it eventually

one of the guys offered to show them the Giles vid and they were like "no, we got this"

It was an open mat with like only six dudes and they were just kinda bored

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There’s a kent peters video which points out that one of ryan’s feet was hooked around BJ’s neck to drag him down harder, too. I didn’t see that detail in other videos

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Kent Peters is the man. I love his youtube channel.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I highly recommend Eddie's online content - Mastering The System (which he coined way before Danaher's Enter the System). I urge you to do a drop in at 10p school if you have one nearby too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There’s a kent peters video which points out that one of ryan’s feet was hooked around BJ’s neck to drag him down harder, too. I didn’t see that detail in other videos

Knee, surely not neck?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Knee, surely not neck?

It was part of his takedown, earlier

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah the ol' foot on the neck, that's a neat way to bring someone down.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol I think the brown belts missed that part yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
its been about 6 months since I started doing jiu jitsu. I've really been enjoying it, and I'm just going to post some thoughts from a beginner

- I struggle real hard with breaking and passing guard. Sometimes during free rolls I will spend the entire 3-5 minute round stuck in someone's guard, unable to pass. The only guard pass concept I have had success with is getting 1 or 2 of their legs on my shoulders. If I can get both arms underneath their legs that is great. Once someone's guard closes I don't really know what to do besides roll my hips, base out my knees and wait for them to do something. I hate standing up in someone's closed guard because they (higher belts especially) instantly use my stood-up leg to get a sweep.

- On the flip side I feel good in side control. It's really intuitive to me, keep their hips close to your hips, put your weight on them, and control their head. I've been able to keep people at my level or a bit higher (like new blue belts) in side control for as long as I want. I guess part of it is I never try to go for mount.

- I did no-gi the other day for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. One cool thing about no-gi is a lot of people will go for a collar tie and I like to russian tie that arm and use it for a sweep or just control.