Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Hand Knit posted:

Picked myself up something to read. Might even make a thread of it.

When you're done, please mail (for free) to Chrystia Freeland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Ah yes, low income folks "sentenced to lifetimes of deteriorating amenities" because of rent control. Because here in Winnipeg where we are free of the scourge of rent control every single low income apartment is a shining example of Western decadence.

I was listening to some community radio show years ago and some guy from B.C had a land cooperative. Basically a coop owned a whole bunch of land so the houses could be bought & sold without having to sell the land and it apparently cut down on a ton of costs. No idea if it still exists or how awful the defacto HOA was there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Ah yes, low income folks "sentenced to lifetimes of deteriorating amenities" because of rent control. Because here in Winnipeg where we are free of the scourge of rent control every single low income apartment is a shining example of Western decadence.

I was listening to some community radio show years ago and some guy from B.C had a land cooperative. Basically a coop owned a whole bunch of land so the houses could be bought & sold without having to sell the land and it apparently cut down on a ton of costs. No idea if it still exists or how awful the defacto HOA was there.

what are you talking about, taking away regulations always leads to quality improvements

for ceos

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

please do, I think I would have Opinions

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

please do, I think I would have Opinions

probably some time in the new year

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

if it doesn't end in a musty basement in Yekaterinburg i ain't interested

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

A Typical Goon posted:

if it doesn't end in a musty basement at Stornoway i ain't interested

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Leave it to Iggy to write Bear fanfic.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
One young girl's strange, erotic journey from Moosejaw to Manitoulin.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Michael Ignatieff belongs in the “post funny political poo poo you remember” thread

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

what the gently caress is going on with Toronto :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/kristynwongtam/status/1080499602434846721

quote:

It started on a warm day last August as I was touring the John Innes Community Centre in Moss Park, something I had done many times in my eight years as a city councillor for the area. Out of nowhere, I was suddenly accosted by a group of large, muscular men, led by an individual who had run against me unsuccessfully in a previous election and who had put his name on the ballot again in 2018.

With phones pointed in my face recording, they launched into a barrage, making a series of false, defamatory and outlandish allegations, accusing me of “corruption,” and owning 28 condominiums, which were allegedly acquired under questionable circumstances during my time in public office. These were vicious, ridiculous and easy-to-disprove lies. I co-own exactly one condo with my sister. Our retired and pension-less parents live there, and we work hard to cover their expenses.

But the truth did not matter – I was trapped in an episode of staged political theatre, designed to capture video for an online slander campaign. It was also intended to intimidate and in that moment it worked.

I have been in the middle of many heated political debates, but this was something different, something threatening and unsettling.

I am a small-frame, gender non-conforming, queer Asian woman and I was confronted by a large man, accompanied by his large friends who had joined him from the weight training room at the centre. With his non-stop barking of questions and allegations and no way to de-escalate the situation, I was forced to leave.

Feeling shaken and unsafe, I reported the incident to the Toronto police, but there was nothing they could do about the online assaults that followed.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

what the gently caress is going on with Toronto :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/kristynwongtam/status/1080499602434846721

She doesn't name the person, but there appear to only be two men in the 2018 Ward 13 results who have run against her before.

They got 225 votes between them (to her 15,706).

It's the pointlessness of the fringe nutjob hate campaign (ie, you weren't going to win, whichever it was) that gets me. Probably can figure out who it was with a speck more effort but meh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
P. sure it was Jordan Stone. It played well with the usual fringe nutjobs who like to accuse everyone of being both in bed with developers and also secret NDP operatives, luckily most of the ones on the internet don't appear to live in the city, let alone her riding.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
which one of you moron incels did this

https://twitter.com/mlevinereports/status/1080551738632036359?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That was deffo Baloogan

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
imagine getting dunked on by jesse brown

https://twitter.com/jessebrown/status/1080571469527203840?s=21

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is that graph of patrons or earnings per month? why is that graph allowed to exist?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's patrions per the y axis, presumably it exists because that's what his pateron allows to be published

iirc his patreon used to show a dollar figure but that got turned off somewhere around $65k/mo. a couple years ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the...other Y axis purports to be about earnings, but without units, which I thought might have been the trick to them showing the graph without divulging the numbers (a common tactic in corporate communications!)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the orange line is the number of individual patrons. Patreon shows the number of patrons for each creator and there’s a website called Graphtreon that scrapes and records that information and shows it in graphs. I think what’s more interesting is if you look at his full history.

it’s clear that Peterson peaked back in June/July. meanwhile leftist creators like CTH have enjoyed steady continuous growth and are significantly more popular (and with much less suspicious revenue-per-patron figures) so it’s not a Patreon-wise trend. just Jorp and other right wing “intellectuals” and “anti-SJWs”, they all peaked last summer.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jan 3, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that is interesting, yeah. even a unit-less earnings graph might make it clear whether he’s losing people evenly throughout the tiers of patronship, or if it’s the whales moving on, etc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

That was deffo Baloogan

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
why did CI get perma banned??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

repeatedly being racist despite being told to knock it off, for years

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
makes sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's been back a few times but his bizarre hate-on for sikhs keeps seeping out and getting him banned

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He got banned for being racist against chinese people

which is kinda funny since he was the only chinese poster in the thread.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ChairMaster posted:

He got banned for being racist against chinese people

which is kinda funny since he was the only chinese poster in the thread.

Most of his habits were endearing in the thread because he actually contributed a lot. Unfortunately, he didn't know how to quit when he was ahead and kept it going in other threads that didn't appreciate it as much.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uh he got permabanned in one of the canpol threads, and I'm pretty sure it only happened because the terrible d&d mod we had back then didn't know anything about Canadian politics and just took bad faith reports on face value.

ChairMaster has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Jan 4, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I liked the effort posts but this apologia for the poo poo posts continues to be baffling

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/billyarmagh/status/1080963756522385411?s=21

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This article about an upcoming by-election in BC has a comment that is either terrifically ironic or terrifically ignorant, I can't decide:

"The BC Liberals could no more win Nanaimo than the NDP could win Point Grey or some other affluent Vancouver suburb. It's too solid NDP to warrant what-if speculations."

(For the benefit of non-BC people, Christy Clark, as sitting premier, lost the Point Grey riding in 2013 to current AG David Eby)

Edit: oops, wrong link

James Baud has issued a correction as of 09:21 on Jan 5, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

THC posted:

the orange line is the number of individual patrons. Patreon shows the number of patrons for each creator and there’s a website called Graphtreon that scrapes and records that information and shows it in graphs. I think what’s more interesting is if you look at his full history.

it’s clear that Peterson peaked back in June/July. meanwhile leftist creators like CTH have enjoyed steady continuous growth and are significantly more popular (and with much less suspicious revenue-per-patron figures) so it’s not a Patreon-wise trend. just Jorp and other right wing “intellectuals” and “anti-SJWs”, they all peaked last summer.

The fact that CTH and cumtown are some of the top patreons gives me hope for the world until I remember the other ones are Amanda Palmer and a Pokemon Go hack.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's some real nth dimensional chess here too, because it's also being used by anti-islamic hate groups as an example of them terrible muzzlins takin over are politics

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
So Klanada's about to go to war against a first nations tribe:

"It's Going Down posted:

Yesterday, members of the RCMP’s Aboriginal Police Liaison met with the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs and indicated that specially trained tactical forces will be deployed to forcibly remove Wet’suwet’en people from sovereign Wet’suwet’en territory. Police refused to provide any details of their operation to the Dini’ze and Tsake’ze (hereditary chiefs) including the number of officers moving in, the method of forcible removal, or the timing of deployment. By rejecting the requests for information by the Dini’ze and Tsake’ze the RCMP indicated that they intend to surprise and overwhelm the Wet’suwet’en people who are protecting their territories on the ground.

The RCMP’s ultimatum, to allow TransCanada access to unceded Wet’suwet’en territory or face police invasion, is an act of war. Despite the lip service given to “Truth and Reconciliation”, Canada is now attempting to do what it has always done – criminalize and use violence against indigenous people so that their unceded homelands can be exploited for profit.

The RCMP were advised that there are children, elders, and families visiting and present at the Gidimt’en Access Point, to which they did not respond. Since it was established, the Gidimt’en Access Point has hosted gatherings, workshops, and traditional activities for Wet’suwet’en, and provided an essential space for Wet’suwet’en to reconnect with their traditional territories.

Article 10 of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples clearly states “Indigenous peoples shall not be forcibly removed from their land or territories.” Any removal of Wet’suwet’en peoples by the RCMP, or any other authoritarian forces, will directly violate UNDRIP and the Trudeau government’s promise to implement UNDRIP. We are now preparing for a protracted struggle. The hereditary chiefs of the Wet’suwet’en and the land defenders holding the front lines have no intention of allowing Wet’suwet’en sovereignty to be violated. In plain language, the threat made by RCMP to invade Wet’suwet’en territories is a violation of human rights, a siege, and an extension of the genocide that Wet’suwet’en have survived since contact.

Canada knows that its own actions are illegal. The Wet’suwet’en fought for many years in the Delgamuukw-Gisday’wa court case to have their sovereignty recognized and affirmed by Canadian law. In 1997, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the Wet’suwet’en people, as represented by their hereditary leaders, had not given up rights and title to 22,000 km2 of Northern British Columbia. Knowing that further litigation would be prohibitively expensive to Indigenous plaintiffs (and that pipeline construction could be completed before any significant legal issues could be further resolved) TransCanada and the provincial and federal governments are openly violating this landmark ruling.

The creation of the Gidimt’en Checkpoint was announced in the Wet’suwet’en feast hall, with the support of all chiefs present. Under ‘Anuc niwh’it’en (Wet’suwet’en law) all five clans of the Wet’suwet’en have unanimously opposed all pipeline proposals. TransCanada lawyers have argued that the Unist’ot’en are essentially a rogue group without a rightful claim to Aboriginal title. The Gidimt’en intervention shows that the Unist’ot’en are not alone, and that the hereditary chiefs of all clans are prepared to uphold Wet’suwet’en law in refusing CGL access.

The Wet’suwet’en have laid out a path toward the implementation of UNDRIP, and the Free, Prior, and Informed Consent requirement of international law. Canada has chosen to ignore this path toward reconciliation. We call on all people of conscience to act in solidarity through an international day of action on Tuesday, January 8th, 2019.

Support the Wet’suwet’en by offering physical support to the camps, monetary or material donation, or by taking action where you stand. We are conducting peaceful actions as sovereign peoples on our territories, and ask that all actions taken in solidarity are conducted peacefully and according to the traditional laws of other Indigenous Nations. Forcible trespass onto Wet’suwet’en territories and the removal of Indigenous peoples from their lands must be stopped. Provincial and federal governments must be confronted.

– Gidimt’en Access Point

There's going to be a :d2a: emote for Canada at this rate.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gently caress, I always knew Trudeau was a slimeball but I never expected something like this.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

gently caress, I always knew Trudeau was a slimeball but I never expected something like this.

How could you possibly not expect something like this?

How in the loving world are people still surprised by this poo poo?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5eA6QDm68

I'd love to know when the last time he used the term 'social license' in a speech was

e: lmao Youtube Autoplay algorithm selects a video from The Rebel trashing Trudeau to follow this up, of course. We're all so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

why would you ever think trudeau would put canadian lives, especially native ones, over a lovely pipeline nobody wants