Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I highly recommend Eddie's online content - Mastering The System (which he coined way before Danaher's Enter the System). I urge you to do a drop in at 10p school if you have one nearby too.

Oh yeah, I subscribe to Mastering The System. It's my favorite resource. A lot of the moves have been updated since the books and DVDs. Mastering the Rubber Guard doesn't have the whip down in the half guard series and that was a game changer for me when I got it from that JRE breakdown of the Royler match. There's a 10th planet across town. It'd be too far for regular training, but I should visit sometime. I'm still healing a back issue, so I'm not really training anywhere right now. One day I rolled with a visitor to our gym at open mat and he flipped the truck on me and kind of laughed. He told me after that he was from the 10th planet gym, which explained why he was better at my moves that I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You gotta call stuff japanese names, always fix your gi every time you reset, fix your gi with your back to the sensei, very specific way to bow

A lot of the traditional pageantry martial arts stuff

Will his BJJ gi's be ok to use?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At my club we let people use BJJ gis to come try things out here and there, but we ask them to get a proper judo cut gi if they're planning to stick around.

If someone showed up in a ridiculously tight one to the point that it inhibits their ability to drill with a partner, I might throw them a loaner and ask them to wear something that fits better next time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Testing for my purple belt Jan 26th. At what point is it okay to frame your old belts?

They should be given to the new belts who now have your old rank. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

Will his BJJ gi's be ok to use?

I imagine it depends on how serious and separate the class is from BJJ

Our school has the class right after rolls so we almost always wear our BJJ stuff but there is def distinct differences between the two that might matter higher up

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

They should be given to the new belts who now have your old rank. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Kinda cool but I'd imagine most people want a shiny new belt, not someone else's old tattered one. I do enjoy the symbolism though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Kinda cool but I'd imagine most people want a shiny new belt, not someone else's old tattered one. I do enjoy the symbolism though.

Personally, I think you're inheriting some sort of artifact - there's a lot of sweat, blood, and tears that went into that thing, with a history that you (as the person who got the belt), helped in part to create as well when you rolled with the person that had the belt on at the time.

I think it's neat as gently caress, but I'm a sucker for that sort of voodoo poo poo.

EDIT: Tattered belts look cool as hell :colbert:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Formalities at judo clubs varies just like everything, some clubs are more formal and some are pretty casual. Since they're rooted in such tradition, I generally find the judo formalities more tolerable than the bjj ones, but that's where I started so ymmv.

If you're in the US then any judo club will be so eager for new members that the gi shouldn't be a concern until he decides to compete. Keep in mind when next shopping for a new gi for him: a judo gi can be used in bjj tournaments, but not the reverse. Judo gis also generally cost less.

The initial learning curve of judo can be a little rougher than bjj. Especially early on it can feel pretty frustrating, painful and hopeless. My experience is that people who come to judo from bjj tend to pick it up faster than I expect.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I lost my white belt the class before I got my blue. i'm kinda disappointed I lost it but I think in a way it's made me not worry too much about the legacy of the belt i'm wearing or whatever, not sure if that makes sense but I'm happy just having a piece of belt around me and don't worry about it's color too much now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I might be able to go to the next Quintet event (Quintet Fight Night 2) in February. :yayclod:

Edit - Also they announced about 6 events for 2019.

Quintet 4 is going to be in Vegas again come April/May.

They're doing Fight Night series across the board including events in Japan (4 to 5), South Korea (1 to 2), and the UK (1 to 2) (they had planned a UK event for December but couldn't secure a schedule that worked with Polaris).

They're also planning to do other types of tournament brackets:

- Japan Open Team Championship Team Tournament by team of 4 men with 430 kg total weight
- Female Open Team Championship Tournament by women's 4 teams
- Light Weight Team Championship Team Tournament by team of 4 men with a total weight of 360 kg
- Masters Legend Team Championship Tournament by 4 teams consisting of legends over 45 years old

They're also doing Amateur Quintet events starting in February.

Source - https://www.quintet-fight.com/2018/12/21/quintet_fn2_announcement/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 4, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Personally, I think you're inheriting some sort of artifact - there's a lot of sweat, blood, and tears that went into that thing, with a history that you (as the person who got the belt), helped in part to create as well when you rolled with the person that had the belt on at the time.

I think it's neat as gently caress, but I'm a sucker for that sort of voodoo poo poo.

EDIT: Tattered belts look cool as hell :colbert:

I appreciate this sort of thing, but it isn't for me. I'd feel bound in some way to the person who held the belt previously, which for some reason makes me feel a bit strange. I'd rather be on my own for it.

My instructor just got his brown belt, which had previously been worn by a pal of his and he was thrilled about it. Tradition and hand-me downs are great, I'd skip it though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always donate my old belts to the club. I also love tattered belts.

I was inventorying our judo club's belts shortly after I got my brown belt and came across a tattered, faded old brown belt, approximately the colour of coffee with three creams. It has the old-school metallic embroidered Fuji logo which I remember having on my yellow belt and gi as a kid so many years ago. My judo instantly got better after I put it on. The voodoo is real.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I like the idea of inheriting an old tattered belt but it drives me nuts that once they fade I cannot tell blue and purple belts apart

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like the idea of inheriting an old tattered belt but it drives me nuts that once they fade I cannot tell blue and purple belts apart

I've found the real distinguishing factor is the severity with which you're being smashed. Purples are always way slicker.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

when you inherit someone's belt you absorb a tiny fraction of their power but you also inherit the ghost that haunts them

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 4, 2019

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ihop posted:

Formalities at judo clubs varies just like everything, some clubs are more formal and some are pretty casual. Since they're rooted in such tradition, I generally find the judo formalities more tolerable than the bjj ones, but that's where I started so ymmv..

I've found this to be true. I've been to 5 different judo clubs and none were super traditional (definitely not like karate and such). You do bow and such but it's minimal and quite often clubs are more sports focussed. Of all the clubs one was a bit more formal, but they also had a competition style class everyday where it was very bjj like in attitude. So if you saw judo more as a sport that's the classes you'd attend

Kids class tend to have a bit more emphasis on the rules and etiquette and what have you though.

Also on the gi. If it's white or blue they'll probably accept it but the difference in cut will make it annoying for your partners. If it's coloured or full of patches, they may tell you that you need a new one soon.

Also in around 15 years I've never seen anyone under Brown belt do a Kata in judo.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 4, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How do you even do a kata in a grappling art

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I gave away my white and blue belts after promotion. Tattered belts are cool. The belts given to me were new though. I'd love to inherit an old brown belt when I get there.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Quintet 4 is going to be in Vegas again come April/May.

This is awesome because I was planning on heading out there around that time anyway. Know my friends out there will def be interested in this.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

when you inherit someone's belt you absorb a tiny fraction of their power but you also inherit the ghost that haunts them

Yeah I dont believe in that. Just I dont believe in "if you wash your belt you will remove the knowledge"...lol

Honestly I just wouldnt want someone elses belt.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do you even do a kata in a grappling art

It's pretty fun actually. Very ritualized throws. But no one ever does that unless they want their black belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcVfmmMBLY

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

It's pretty fun actually. Very ritualized throws. But no one ever does that unless they want their black belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcVfmmMBLY

Still more believable than an Aikido demonstration

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that loving yoko gake looks awful to drill even with good ukemi

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dave Grool posted:

"If yoko gake is executed correctly, uke should pass out, however so briefly."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Judo kata is actually quite fun, and the more I do it the more I enjoy it. I know three roles in two katas now - both parts of the throwing kata, and the uke side of the ground kata.

The key part to understand in any judo kata is that it's a demonstration of key principles in the technique, not a demonstration of the technique in full action. E.g. the strikes in Nage no Kata are so loving corny (ippon seoi nage, uki goshi, ura nage, and yoko guruma). It's easy to look at that and say "well that's a lovely strike defense" - but it's not a strike defense. It's a choreographed and exaggerated way of showing to an audience that uke has moved his own weight up and forward (seoi nage) or given up an underhook (uki goshi, ura nage, or yoko guruma), and how tori can exploit it.

To get competent at Kata requires good bodily awareness and control, so it's a pretty good use of practice time for light drilling too. My main kata partner and I often use it as a warmup.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is it ok to take a day off? Many of us have an addiction to being on the mat and learning, but like today I could have gone in but just didn't. Im actually ahead for the week and trained a little bit during the holiday.

I feel like a cheat day is ok every once and a while(?)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
More like Tacos Im Poster. Jits is life, bro. (But really, of course it's ok, you've got the whole rest of your life to do Jiu Jitsu)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's fine to skip class, it's not fine to skip warm up and come to class :colbert:.

It's me, I'm the weirdo who doesn't like warmups in jits.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

It's fine to skip class, it's not fine to skip warm up and come to class :colbert:.

It's me, I'm the weirdo who doesn't like warmups in jits.

I dont mind warm ups unless it's the girl who loves running

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I always tell new people who want to come in every day and do two a day's etc.

Unless you have a plan (like mundials/mma/olympics), you're going to be doing BJJ until they put you in the ground.

So, you have to take care of yourself and a) not burnout on the thing you love, and b) be in a physical space where you still have the physical ability to grapple. That also means you have the right to say no to some training partners.

BJJ in life is much like BJJ itself - taught as a slow methodical art where incremental advantages accumulate over time leading to a finish. Position over submission.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have a coach that thinks we're all signed up for lunging classes. Once, it was lunges down the mats and sprints back up again; on the last set I fell forward over my own exhausted feet. Good lesson on how to do the warm up at your own pace.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

We have a coach that thinks we're all signed up for lunging classes. Once, it was lunges down the mats and sprints back up again; on the last set I fell forward over my own exhausted feet. Good lesson on how to do the warm up at your own pace.

One time we had someone do forward rolls, runs back, back rolls, run back, turtle, run back, etc. Went for like 20 min. Fortunately our school is extremely no judgement if you cant or dont want to do something.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fortunately our school is extremely no judgement if you cant or dont want to do something.
That is extremely cool. It lets everyone feel welcome, unlike what might happen at a more "intense" gym. And really, now that I'm a :bahgawd: old man I'm way more likely to try hard in a warm up if you demonstrate good intensify yourself while being very chill about how hard each individual goes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Dave Grool posted:

Pretty much all the kata throws can be made relatively painless with sufficient skill. If that's true for yoko gake I've yet to experience it. That one's brutal for either person.

I do like to use the ippon seoi from the nage no kata to help teach throwing off of the grip when someone tries to go straight for the high back grip.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ill do any warmup dont really care what it is (even burpees), but wrestling shots? gently caress that.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I haven't been to class in 3 weeks cus I strained a hip muscle or something and it was killing me then I got the flu. I look forwards to being gassed and subsequently killed when I go back tomorrow

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I skip most of the warmups because they're bullshit and I didn't sign up for a cardio class. I enjoy the stretching part of our warm ups but we have one guy that will literally take 20mins to get through all the stretches if he's left in charge. gently caress that.

I want to: Show up early, stretch on my own time, drill drill drill, roll, leave.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What kind of warm ups do you guys do?

My gym usually doesbjj related drills such as hip escapes or passing drills.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I do the muay thai class that ends just as the BJJ class begins. I consider that warmed up enough.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We: Run, back run, shuffle, cross feet, skip, + more if someone is feeling sadistic like 20 sprawls or whatever, front roll down the mat 2x, back roll 2x, hip escape 2x, + random other poo poo depending on who is teaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

What kind of warm ups do you guys do?

My gym usually doesbjj related drills such as hip escapes or passing drills.

JaySB posted:

We: Run, back run, shuffle, cross feet, skip, + more if someone is feeling sadistic like 20 sprawls or whatever, front roll down the mat 2x, back roll 2x, hip escape 2x, + random other poo poo depending on who is teaching.

Basically this if one of the tournament junkies is in charge of warm-ups, if one of the laid back dudes is in charge its usually just stretches

I don't know how you guys do it, but the instructor usually picks the highest ranked person there that day to do warm ups