Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Green Intern posted:

This is the moment when Deku gets his Muscle Form, terrifying everyone around him (and also spilling the beans to all of UA)

I still don't understand why he's kept it a secret from at least the faculty or his other class mates. Like them knowing your quirk can be passed on isn't gonna put you in danger since you have to be willing to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Probably because All Might told him not too and he respects him too much to go against his wishes.

Plus, the less people that know means it's less likely that the secret gets out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I still don't understand why he's kept it a secret from at least the faculty or his other class mates. Like them knowing your quirk can be passed on isn't gonna put you in danger since you have to be willing to do that.

People would just try to make him "willingly" give it up. Like kidnap his mom or something. Not worth the risk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should probably tell Eraserhead though. Especially after this.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Rhonne posted:

They should probably tell Eraserhead though. Especially after this.

I was just thinking about this. All Might gave him a head's up when Deku started exploding, and Aizawa is I think smart enough to afterwards go, "Hey All Might how'd you know something was wrong"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Green Intern posted:

This is the moment when Deku gets his Muscle Form, terrifying everyone around him (and also spilling the beans to all of UA)

All might only made the muscle form after his guts got ripped out by AFO. He used to naturally be that buff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It isn't clear how many of the faculty know, but we know that at least the principal and Recovery Girl know about the transference of the quirk. Eraser and some of the other faculty also at least were aware that All Might was on his last legs as well. Several of them at least have suspicions about All Might and Deku. Some of the students are also aware that All Might and Deku have some sort of relationship.

So there's varying levels of knowledge of what's going on, ranging from being in the know to having a suspicion that something is up. Though I'm sure several people probably think they're related somehow.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Green Intern posted:

I'm pretty sure this would only make everyone follow Todoroki in thinking Midoriya is All Might's illegitimate son. Which, I admit, would be hilarious.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

People would just try to make him "willingly" give it up. Like kidnap his mom or something. Not worth the risk.

Yeah it's much better to not tell anyone so the only people that can help with the unknowable and infinite power you have inside yourself are: A) You idol the world's worst teacher B) HIS backup teacher an old man pretending to be senile half the time C) You we're love/hate best fremeny who can all shout and blow things up.

Kids if you get super powers tell your parents.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah it's much better to not tell anyone so the only people that can help with the unknowable and infinite power you have inside yourself are: A) You idol the world's worst teacher B) HIS backup teacher an old man pretending to be senile half the time C) You we're love/hate best fremeny who can all shout and blow things up.

Hey, there's also the fuzzy and lovable principal!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Only people who can maybe help with your exploding power on that list are B) the fake senile old man, D) fuzzy and lovable principal and potentially adding E) your new brainwashing friend if he can tell you to "reach out to your soul"

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Don't forget the kindly old nurse who can kiss you and make you feel better :kimchi:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Can't tell your deadbeat dad anything, and Dekumom knows all she needs to know.

Why do you want to worry Dekumom even more?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's been a long time so I forget: is Deku's father A) Dead B) Deadbeat Divorcee C) Common anime trope of the dad who works abroad and you never loving see him for some reason D) Deku's mom had a virgin birth and Deku is Christ?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's been a long time so I forget: is Deku's father A) Dead B) Deadbeat Divorcee C) Common anime trope of the dad who works abroad and you never loving see him for some reason D) Deku's mom had a virgin birth and Deku is Christ?

At some point Horikoshi mentioned that he works abroad. But he did also say that he wants to introduce him at some point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah ok. The "never around parent working abroad" theme is so loving tired to me at this point.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

E) Is All For One

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ah ok. The "never around parent working abroad" theme is so loving tired to me at this point.

It'd legit just be better if Deku's mom was a single parent because it'd be the same without the dumb cliche.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It'd legit just be better if Deku's mom was a single parent because it'd be the same without the dumb cliche.

:yeah:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vengarr posted:

E) Is All For One

Ah, the "Snoke created Anakin" plan, which is kind of like D.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe Deku's dad will return and be a shitbag and Deku's mom will divorce him/Deku will punch him in the face.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Deku's dad will flood their apartment with a waterfall of tears upon finally being released from work and getting to see his beloved family after years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku's dad is gonna come back and he's gonna be huge like a Rob Liefeld.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Deku already crackles with energy whenever he uses his quirk, as long as the powerups just help him punch or kick better, I don't think it would be too hard to explain away.

Now if he got like, laser eyes or something, then he might be in trouble.

tbh I always thought of the energy stuff as just a visual representation for us, the readers, to know when he's using o4a since it doesn't work like that for all might

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I always thought of the energy stuff as just a visual representation for us, the readers, to know when he's using o4a since it doesn't work like that for all might

As we're finding out it's possibly because All Might is really bad at using One for All, he's just naturally talented and heroic enough for it not to have ever mattered.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rhonne posted:

If Funky Jack here is really based off Hellboy as people say, then I expect Deku to get some kind of giant fist based power up. Like, that black lightning forms around his hand and turns into some kind of energy fist or demon hand or something so he can punch people again without ruining his arm.

If this happens, I expect people to compare that to Naruto and his tail-forms or, god forbid, Sasuke and his chakra armor thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm a little apprehensive about the protagonist receiving yet another powerup when at 20% he was already strong enough to overwhelm mid-tier villains with relative ease.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm a little apprehensive about the protagonist receiving yet another powerup when at 20% he was already strong enough to overwhelm mid-tier villains with relative ease.
I dunno if I'd consider Gentle mid-tier since he wasn't really fighting to the death, as he was at heart a good person.

Like even as he is now Midoriya couldn't take a Muscular or Moonfish or probably a Blue-Tier Noumu.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if I'd consider Gentle mid-tier since he wasn't really fighting to the death, as he was at heart a good person.

Like even as he is now Midoriya couldn't take a Muscular or Moonfish or probably a Blue-Tier Noumu.

I mean I guess if you wanna count all of Overhaul's lackeys as mid-tier that could work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gentle and LaBrava combined were capable of taking out a group of heroes who would have had to have passed the hero licencing test and had initiated the confrontation (meaning they were at their maximum readiness to fight). He wasn't a minor threat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, but Deku isn't gearing up to take on a mid-tier threat. He's gearing up to take on all of them. Shigaraki is never gonna let Deku 1v1 one of his crew again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gentle vs deku was kind of a bad matchup for gentle since his love power up was just a strength boost against the single strongest self buff in the world

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That and Gentle's real power is bounce. Deku never broke them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, but Deku isn't gearing up to take on a mid-tier threat. He's gearing up to take on all of them. Shigaraki is never gonna let Deku 1v1 one of his crew again.

Yeah, but by that same token I think Horikoshi is really gearing up to push hero teams as a thing to contrast against the whole All Might / Endeavor working on their own. In fact that's pretty much exactly what this arc has been about, about how these hero students are trying to work as teams instead of individuals.

Deku getting another powerup makes everyone else pale in comparison, and I think it'd also be kind of weird if it ended up being something like "Deku is extra strong now but needs Ochaco and Shinso as sidekicks to properly control his power" since the obvious endgame there is "Deku learns to properly control his power on his own".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, but by that same token I think Horikoshi is really gearing up to push hero teams as a thing to contrast against the whole All Might / Endeavor working on their own. In fact that's pretty much exactly what this arc has been about, about how these hero students are trying to work as teams instead of individuals.

Deku getting another powerup makes everyone else pale in comparison, and I think it'd also be kind of weird if it ended up being something like "Deku is extra strong now but needs Ochaco and Shinso as sidekicks to properly control his power" since the obvious endgame there is "Deku learns to properly control his power on his own".
Not if we reach the "One for All is becoming too much for one person" endgame that people have predicted. Hell, maybe the singularity already passed a long time ago and the only reason All Might didn't explode is because he's such an idiot savant that he could tap into one power and be completely oblivious to the rest of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Not if we reach the "One for All is becoming too much for one person" endgame that people have predicted. Hell, maybe the singularity already passed a long time ago and the only reason All Might didn't explode is because he's such an idiot savant that he could tap into one power and be completely oblivious to the rest of it.

A reverse Korra, as a comparison that makes sense to a dozen people in here.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

A reverse Korra, as a comparison that makes sense to a dozen people in here.

lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Radish posted:

Gentle and LaBrava combined were capable of taking out a group of heroes who would have had to have passed the hero licencing test and had initiated the confrontation (meaning they were at their maximum readiness to fight). He wasn't a minor threat.

The children have repeatedly been show to handle threats that low rank street walking pro-heroes haven't been able to.

There's been a lot of real no-hopers as low rank heroes. To the point that the top 3 students at prestigeous UA were repeatedly touted as "Better than a lot of pros already". Taking out a group of nobodies doesn't make Gentle a threat to Deku in any real way. For evidence see: Deku trouncing Gentle even with his big secret ace in the hole move.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 6, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The children have repeatedly been show to handle threats that low rank street walking pro-heroes have been able to.

There's been a lot of real no-hopers as low rank heroes. To the point that the top 3 students at prestigeous UA were repeatedly touted as "Better than a lot of pros already". Taking out a group of nobodies doesn't make Gentle a threat to Deku in any real way. For evidence see: Deku trouncing Gentle even with his big secret ace in the hole move.

A reminder that one of those three was Mirio Togata.

Someone who, with no powers, protecting an injured girl, and still recovering from getting shot, lasted five minutes against one of the most broken quirks in the series.

Mirio was and still is Some Bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

The implication I got is that Gentle mostly made them take themselves out by turning the entire area into rubber so they just bounced around or hit themselves/eachother with their attacks. Gentle didn't even look like he actively hit anyone when the group of heroes jumped him at the mini-mart.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 6, 2019