Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm very new to MST3k (watched a few random episodes many years ago) but Netflix UK kept been pushing The Return/Gauntlet so I started watching it and loved it. Only a few 'classics' of older seasons are available in the UK though, and there doesn't appear to be any legitimate way of watching the rest of them without spending many hundreds of pounds.

I'm still laughing at "The Day Time Ended" with the bit where the dude blames the vandalism on bikers, and justifies this by saying he saw some hill climbers nearby the other day" (???).

"drat hill bikers!" "drat space bikers!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm very new to MST3k (watched a few random episodes many years ago) but Netflix UK kept been pushing The Return/Gauntlet so I started watching it and loved it. Only a few 'classics' of older seasons are available in the UK though, and there doesn't appear to be any legitimate way of watching the rest of them without spending many hundreds of pounds.

I'm still laughing at "The Day Time Ended" with the bit where the dude blames the vandalism on bikers, and justifies this by saying he saw some hill climbers nearby the other day" (???).

The MST3K channel on Youtube has a bunch of episodes up to watch freely, and you shouldn't feel bad about watching pirated episodes on random youtube uploads or wherever the way you may feel about doing so for other shows - the mantra of the fanbase (and the show creators) is "keep circulating the tapes", specifically because a lot of episodes just will likely never see an official release due to licensing issues.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The MST3K channel on Youtube has a bunch of episodes up to watch freely, and you shouldn't feel bad about watching pirated episodes on random youtube uploads or wherever the way you may feel about doing so for other shows - the mantra of the fanbase (and the show creators) is "keep circulating the tapes", specifically because a lot of episodes just will likely never see an official release due to licensing issues.

Makes sense!

I got a pirate copy of season one from someone years ago, so I'm making my way through that now. Is it weird that I'm actually kind of enjoying the awful Captain Cody serial?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

For what it is Cody isn't too bad, it at least keeps up a fast pace, even if all that means is that it goes around the hamster wheel a few times. Season 2 has a dreadful serial.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

remusclaw posted:

For what it is Cody isn't too bad, it at least keeps up a fast pace, even if all that means is that it goes around the hamster wheel a few times. Season 2 has a dreadful serial.

rifftrax did the phantom creeps recently, it's great

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't feel great when watching season 2, could be a mix of what the footage looks like and lack of resolution I guess? I find a lot of what is unwatchable to me in MST3K is what is literally hard to watch. I can stomach some of the worst dross if it looks decent.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

remusclaw posted:

HEEEEEEEEEY IT'S THE UNDERSEA KINGDOM, FOR YOU AND FOR ME, WHERE THE MEN ARE IN DRESSES

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think they're putting MST3K past series as collections on rotation, likely changing the collections with the release of each of the new series. As for watching them, check out rifftrax on twitch.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Also, if you have an Apple TV or some such device, I’d recommend downloading both Shout Factory TV and Pluto TV. Shout Factory TV has a large collection of episodes on demand, and Pluto TV has a 24/7 streaming MST channel. Both are free.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Commando Cody is great

That's the exact thing that inspired the Rocketeer so it's got some solid bones

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Makes sense!

I got a pirate copy of season one from someone years ago, so I'm making my way through that now. Is it weird that I'm actually kind of enjoying the awful Captain Cody serial?

if you're enjoying season 1, you will love this show

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/jonahray/status/1083023229340520453

I like this Jonah guy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

if you're enjoying season 1, you will love this show

I'm finding it much more subdued and deadpan than the new seasons. Seems to be far fewer laughs but that doesn't make it less funny, if that makes sense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm finding it much more subdued and deadpan than the new seasons. Seems to be far fewer laughs but that doesn't make it less funny, if that makes sense.

I think a lot of that is down to Josh, who left after season one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While the notion to make the Sci-Fi era have 'story arcs' was dumb, can I say I unironically love the 'space children' storyline?

"Cool! He's gonna heft!"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Dawgstar posted:

While the notion to make the Sci-Fi era have 'story arcs' was dumb, can I say I unironically love the 'space children' storyline?

"Cool! He's gonna heft!"

Overall they're a huge mess, but I find most of the individual beats funny.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Overall they're a huge mess, but I find most of the individual beats funny.

I think that's basically what they were prioritizing anyway.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when I watch an episode in a standalone viewing, they're usually pretty funny. There was just something about watching them over the course of a season that made it annoying.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My viewing of older episodes is so sporadic I didn't even know they did storylines in the host segments until fairly recently.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

My viewing of older episodes is so sporadic I didn't even know they did storylines in the host segments until fairly recently.

Its only starting with Mike's second season, and also sort of gets dropped again in the last season or two for the most part so it was very confusing when I first was watching those on DVD in random order because I always assumed the stuff that was on earth with Pearl was before the stuff in space with pearl but it isn't! It isn't at all!

But yeah, I dig both the invention exchange and the random narrative host segments for having different strengths. The fundraising plotline is probably the single best set of host segments for any episode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I believe there is a thing somewhere with Mike saying the storylines we're sci-fi channel's demand and he's like "why do we need storylines we are a puppet show"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

I believe there is a thing somewhere with Mike saying the storylines we're sci-fi channel's demand and he's like "why do we need storylines we are a puppet show"

The crew also questioned the need for storylines because they knew that the episodes were often going to be shown out of order anyways, so a new viewer coming in would be confused as to why the MST3K gang were visiting ancient Rome in one episode and then dealing with omnipotent space kids in the next.

E: they were able to ditch the storylines for their last season on Sci-Fi, along with the "science fiction/horror movies only" requirement that Sci-Fi had previously imposed; as I recall the person that had signed them to a deal was leaving, and his incoming replacement was not keen on keeping the show around, so he signed them to one last season and told them they didn't have to adhere to those requirements any more, which is why they were able to do stuff like "Girl in Gold Boots" and "Hamlet" in season 10.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm actually okay with the Netflix seasons having a bare-minimum arc stringing them together, just because it IS in a format where they're more likely to be viewed in order. If not binged (THE ~GAUNT~LET~).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The crew also questioned the need for storylines because they knew that the episodes were often going to be shown out of order anyways, so a new viewer coming in would be confused as to why the MST3K gang were visiting ancient Rome in one episode and then dealing with omnipotent space kids in the next.

I think the only way to actually see them 'in order' was first-run because the out of order thing started immediately after, with additional 'immediately losing the rights to the series' so some episodes weren't aired even twice. I feel like that happened with 'Revenge of the Creature.'

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I think the only way to actually see them 'in order' was first-run because the out of order thing started immediately after, with additional 'immediately losing the rights to the series' so some episodes weren't aired even twice. I feel like that happened with 'Revenge of the Creature.'

Even so, rights issues would occasionally delay episodes so that they’d never air in order to begin with. Merlin’s Shop Of Mystical Wonders is I believe episode 1003, but didn’t air until about 2 months after Diabolik.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually okay with the Netflix seasons having a bare-minimum arc stringing them together, just because it IS in a format where they're more likely to be viewed in order. If not binged (THE ~GAUNT~LET~).

And again, this was apparently a network demand.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh, I just now realised that season one is weirdly mixed up and they respond to letters from later episodes.

Also I'm outraged that they apparently don't finish commando Cody :mad:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The mix-up was mainly that Women of the Prehistoric Planet was filmed last but was still "104" of the production order for some reason, and they never changed the numbering.
If you put 104 after 113 then the rest is in order.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hogama posted:

The mix-up was mainly that Women of the Prehistoric Planet was filmed last but was still "104" of the production order for some reason, and they never changed the numbering.
If you put 104 after 113 then the rest is in order.

Oh, makes sense!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Saw Track of the Moon Beast for the first time over the weekend. I came for the chicken, corn, green peppers, chili, :sigh: onions, and stayed for the unlit night shots.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I think "Gorgo" was aired only once before rights issues kept it out of reruns for a long time. I want to say that it never even made it back on-air at Sci Fi until the show had been cancelled, but I could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Looking it up, apparently it aired twice on its premiere date, then never again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SirPhoebos posted:

Saw Track of the Moon Beast for the first time over the weekend. I came for the chicken, corn, green peppers, chili, :sigh: onions, and stayed for the unlit night shots.

after going on a RLM binge i'll take poorly shot night scenes over day-as-night anyday

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Liberal Idiot posted:

I think "Gorgo" was aired only once before rights issues kept it out of reruns for a long time. I want to say that it never even made it back on-air at Sci Fi until the show had been cancelled, but I could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Looking it up, apparently it aired twice on its premiere date, then never again.

That must have been cleared up, since I could swear I've seen it on the Pluto.tv MST3K channel multiple times.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SirPhoebos posted:

And the band that sang 'California Lady'.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Proteus Jones posted:

That must have been cleared up, since I could swear I've seen it on the Pluto.tv MST3K channel multiple times.
Yes, it's also part of the current collection of episodes on Netflix. Presumably, they worked it out when it was released on DVD.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it was fixed a while ago. It was included in the 25th anniversary boxed set from Shout, so it's all nice and legal now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liberal Idiot posted:

Yeah, it was fixed a while ago. It was included in the 25th anniversary boxed set from Shout, so it's all nice and legal now.

Not for nothing, but God bless Shout! Factory. I'm also super impressed they bought the rights to distribute the Gamera films primarily for the MST3K versions.

I wish they could do the same for the Godzilla flicks, but that's harder.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

gorgo is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

gorgo is really good

Definitely one of my favorite episodes. It helps that I'm a big fan of giant monster movies in general, and Gorgo is tantalizingly close to being a great movie (by the standards of the genre anyway) but it trips a few too many times to really cross the finish line.