Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys are depressing me about shrimp deaths! My guys seem very healthy and happy, finally eating the algae from the new stem plants (the stalks I prune always get a little algae on them, anyone know why?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When you have 4-5 shrimp, a death is a big loss.

When they've interbred til there's 100 crammed in there, its free fish food.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I get that. My shrimp will never breed thankfully.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah when its a small group of amanos its awful but, when its 100 cherry shrimp its a sign I shouldn't feed today.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've been wondering about the whole inbreeding thing on my end, and I think the trick is to swap shrimp with people

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
It's funny. When I bought some cherry shrimp as the clean-up crew for my 10 gallon, I kind of balked that they were like 3 bucks a piece for a tiny little shrimp so I only got 4. Now I've got 50. I've gone from having a fish tank with some shrimp to a shrimp tank with some fish.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah free shrimp was the best decision. I constantly have 2-300+ in my tank and make $40 every couple weeks selling the extras

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Maybe I'll get some red culls or dark colored shrimp. I've got a pretty bushy plant set up, a moss coconut bunny and a ceramic log going.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or maybe I should put a small radioactive source in there to encourage genetic diversity.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Or maybe I should put a small radioactive source in there to encourage genetic diversity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Re: snail thing - my water pH is good I think, 6.8-7. Don't have a TDS pen, I fertilize w/ Thrive Shrimp stuff. I did add one of those 'Wonder Shell' things - hopefully that makes a difference going forward.

I have noticed that my trumpet snails and pond snails are on the whole exponential growth thing - I'm not really concerned about that because I know it will stabilize with time, but maybe all those new snails are taking all the calcium from the water somehow? It's on the nerites and other snails that I see the issue.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The wondershell is a good solution really, I've heard them recommended again and again for snail shell health. It might make your pH go up a little but I don't think it will hurt anything.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi thread! I'm moving again soon (with any luck) and since I only have the one betta I'm gonna transfer him from his big ol' 15-gallon to something more manageable, probably a simple fiver. This means the HOB filter I have is gonna be too big. How do I pick a filter type for a small tank and one betta?

And just in case I nix the tank switch, are there any good tank buddies for a male betta?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doc Fission posted:

Hi thread! I'm moving again soon (with any luck) and since I only have the one betta I'm gonna transfer him from his big ol' 15-gallon to something more manageable, probably a simple fiver. This means the HOB filter I have is gonna be too big. How do I pick a filter type for a small tank and one betta?

And just in case I nix the tank switch, are there any good tank buddies for a male betta?

Check out the clearvue filters on Amazon, I use one in my 5g, works well.

I just saw some BBA in my tank last night. Any pro tips with how to deal with it? Only animals in the tank are my 3 Amanos.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Check out the clearvue filters on Amazon, I use one in my 5g, works well.

I just saw some BBA in my tank last night. Any pro tips with how to deal with it? Only animals in the tank are my 3 Amanos.

Get some flourish excel (enough to dose the tank), and shoot it through a syringe onto the algae. Should turn it pink over doing this for a couple weeks. The big thing with BBA is prevention, so treat incoming plants with whatever's recommended online

It's a pain to deal with, I have a small case of it in a couple tanks

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Get some flourish excel (enough to dose the tank), and shoot it through a syringe onto the algae. Should turn it pink over doing this for a couple weeks. The big thing with BBA is prevention, so treat incoming plants with whatever's recommended online

It's a pain to deal with, I have a small case of it in a couple tanks

I'm nervous about adding excel to the shrimp tank because I've read horror stories about nuking shrimp. It's a 5g which is heavily scaped and planted and probably has only 4g of water in it, any little spot treatments I do will end up likely fully or overdosing the tank due to the small volume. I'm confused about where it came from since I haven't added anything to the tank in months. I wonder if it's from the toothbrush I use for the tank just sitting in the open air. I read that Amanos actually will eat BBA so I guess I'll see what happens.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been setting up a planted tank! I ordered some plants, a top up of rotala, some trident java fern, and some hygrophila pinnatifida which I'm adding to a bit of other hygro and some crypts and so on from that I've grabbed from other tanks. I drained the snail poop water out of the tank and started working on getting the ugly blue paint off the back yesterday, the plants arrived today so tonight I have had a marathon session of paint scraping, hardscaping, planting and filling. I am trying to make sure the tank is kuhlie loach friendly so there are some rubble piles and some kind of caves under the corner sponge filters, I've got branches through the tank that I've attached the java ferns to and I found some curly moss that I've forgotten the name of to add as well. I'm also using proper aquarium soil for the first time, hopefully it will help the plants get established quickly. It's the first time I've used this kind of soft grainy soil so I'm not sure how it will work out. I want the plants to really fill in before I move the fish over!

My inspiration for this tank is this one I found on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMRnA22c_s

Mine looks nothing like this! But hopefully it will get there. If I had any idea where my phone was I'd take a pic but I'm in holiday mode and I have no idea where I left it. Hopefully I'll remember to grab a pic once I find my phone.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So I made a stupid mistake and cracked this 37 gallon tank while putting it in the new stand I made. Its an old aquarium that I'm re-purposing to fill with RO/DI for water changes for the 90 gallon display tank. It takes about a day to fill, and then another day or so to get up to temperature before I can do the water change, so it only has to hold water 2 days a week and will never hold any livestock (the 20 long above it is also an old tank that will be for quarantine). Any recommendations on how to repair it? It looks likes its just the front glass. I'm considering some kind of epoxy and then bracing the front with another couple of 2x4s or some 3/4" plywood. I don't really care what it looks like so long as it doesn't leak or crack worse.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Might as well post some shots of the display tank too I guess. Moved over from the 20L mentioned above into this 90gal a little while ago. Some of the plants I transferred over, especially the buces, have had it kinda rough, but the rest are starting to establish pretty well. Its starting to come together. There's a bunch of really fat otos, a few assassin snails, an assortment of micro corys (hastatus, habrosus, and pygmaeus) and a few remaining panda corys from the old tank.

This is my first experience with a discus tank and my wife decided to go ham with ordering the new livestock: 4 discus, 3 zebra plecos, 3 german blue rams, and a panda garra.

I'm running CO2 injection via a diy Cerges reactor and diy inline heater, 2x Finnex planted+ 24/7s, an ATO with 10gal reservoir, a big Hydor canister filter, and the smaller Eheim canister from the 20L. I built the custom stand (still finishing the doors) and eventually I'm going to make a matching canopy to conceal the fact that those 2 finnex lights are only 30" long (reused from previous tanks, I've lapped them a bit to cover the width of the 90gal).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have experience with dennerle scraper tanks? I'm moving the Betta in my 8 gallon flex to beside my couch and I'm worried it's going to look terrible with the new viewing angles.

I'm looking for an 8-15 gallon cubish tank without to much light leakage that looks good from 3 of the 4 sides. Don't really want to break the bank on it, and the dennerle is looking like $200 for the kit in Canada

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

George Farmer has to have done some Dennerle Scaper tanks on his channel, I'm sure I've seen some somewhere. Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGpaHjEdc_4&t=1165s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYQ1C69D7Tw&t=940s

I think it'll come down to how you lay out what's in the tank as to whether it will look good from three sides. I still don't think I can quite manage to get a tank that looks good from one side :\ but if you get that nice centrepiece hardscape item, it's much easier.

In any case I would worry about a betta jumping out of a hoodless tank in a site that is likely to see more traffic. Is there any option to add a clear lid of some kind?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

George Farmer has to have done some Dennerle Scaper tanks on his channel, I'm sure I've seen some somewhere. Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGpaHjEdc_4&t=1165s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYQ1C69D7Tw&t=940s

I think it'll come down to how you lay out what's in the tank as to whether it will look good from three sides. I still don't think I can quite manage to get a tank that looks good from one side :\ but if you get that nice centrepiece hardscape item, it's much easier.

In any case I would worry about a betta jumping out of a hoodless tank in a site that is likely to see more traffic. Is there any option to add a clear lid of some kind?

Thanks, I'm not so worried about it being hoodless, and the dennerles look like they come with lids if you buy them as a kit. My bigger issue is that it's going to be in the corner between 2 couches in an L, and I don't want the LEDs casting too much light in people's eyes.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Back again with my irritating, months-long by this point ammonia issue (click the ? under my name for the history!). We've cleaned, we've got a more powerful filter, we've now added extra bacteria (a week ago) and still the ammonia is spiking, no nitrite is appearing, and the two aquatics shops we've been to have tested the water with exactly the same results as we've had so it's not a testing kit issue.

Daily water changes are getting to be a real ball ache now and we'll be away for nearly a week in the middle of March.

It's increasingly looking like starting all over again is going to be the only solution but I wanted to make a last ditch effort to get some more advice. So... Any other suggestions for helping a (15gal I think) tank that's been perfect for three years get back to functioning as it should?

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 13, 2019

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Man. My anarchis stems are melting. :( Crypts are groovin', the bulb plant is groovin', moss seems happy but not the stems...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

Back again with my irritating, months-long by this point ammonia issue (click the ? under my name for the history!). We've cleaned, we've got a more powerful filter, we've now added extra bacteria (a week ago) and still the ammonia is spiking, no nitrite is appearing, and the two aquatics shops we've been to have tested the water with exactly the same results as we've had so it's not a testing kit issue.

Daily water changes are getting to be a real ball ache now and we'll be away for nearly a week in the middle of March.

It's increasingly looking like starting all over again is going to be the only solution but I wanted to make a last ditch effort to get some more advice. So... Any other suggestions for helping a (15gal I think) tank that's been perfect for three years get back to functioning as it should?

You added extra bacteria last week but are doing daily water changes? Are you re-adding the quick - start bacteria after your water changes? In your situation I would.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

VelociBacon posted:

You added extra bacteria last week but are doing daily water changes? Are you re-adding the quick - start bacteria after your water changes? In your situation I would.

We've gone from 50% changes to 10% on the advice from the aquatics shop. The bacteria are in these squidgy balls that go in the filter, the guy assured us the water changes wouldn't wash out the bacteria and said we should add two balls each week. He also reckons we should've expected to see some parameter shift within a couple of days or so. Currently running two filters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was my problem when I had an ammonia spike I couldn't get rid of when I was cycling. The water changes I was doing were probably getting rid of the good poo poo I need. I resolved it when someone suggested I start really overcompensating the conditioner in each water change. I started going like 4x and it fixed my problem quick.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thing is, this is a well established tank. The water conditioner detoxify ammonia to an extent but beyond that I don't know if it would do much else?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If there's chlorine in your water or even chloramine, it's going to mess up your bacteria and thus mess up your cycle. Dosing extra dechlorinator to make sure it's all gone is a good idea. Not every water conditioner is a dechlorinator, and not every dechlorinator has correct dosages marked on the label for removing chloramine. I think that's what STAC goat is getting at? I had issues with my tap water and just gave up in the end because I could never be sure I'd got the dosage right. So a RO water system and remineralising means that's not something I ever have to worry about again.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ah, I understand now... We've had the same water and conditioner since April with no issue until October. We have slightly overdosed water since the issue began but it doesn't seem to have helped, and dechlorinator aspect of the conditioner dechlorinates beyond the levels of chlorine that are acceptable in drinking water in the UK.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Remembered to grab a pic of the planted tank I set up on the counter. Still looks okay! Wondering how long that will last though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Seems like this 40W sansi grow bulb does way better than either the finnex or the fluval plant nano light. It's way cheaper too the only problem is you need your own fixture and have to deal with splash problems depending on how you set it up.

E: This is their daylight color bulb so your tank won't look pink.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 14, 2019

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Just saw this: Housefire put out by fish tank, firefighters revive sooty catfish on the scene.

https://www.ktvz.com/news/nw-redmond-house-fire-put-out-by-fish-tank-s-water/973751790

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wow, good job by those firefighters! I think most people probably wouldn't give a poo poo.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The catfish are the true heros.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

~never let go, no matter the odds~

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Thank you to everyone who posts. Going through a bit of trouble with dropsy in a betta, and an unresponsive snail. Sad days but y'alls posts and pics brighten it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
A little side action from my 5 gallon.

https://streamable.com/3g8hy

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

A little side action from my 5 gallon.

https://streamable.com/3g8hy

I've kept this open in a browser tab and have looked back at it a few times. So tranquil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
New tank! :holy:

Threw something together - didn't have any idea of what I wanted to do, just to use stuff I already had on hand.

Still not sure what I want to put in it.