Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm thinking of borrowing 80k on top of 200k in non-dischargable student loans for an entry level white collar job :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So I just finished reading all of the last thread.

All I have to say is :stare:

Man i thought my life was BWM. Thanks guys, this is like reading a TCC train wreck thread when you’re starting to feel like a loser.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
If you can be booked out 4-6 months in advance in supporting yourself as a musician/artist - go for it? That way if upcoming work begins to deteriorate you at least have some indicator that "Hey, this money is going to stop coming in in two months - better figure out a job situation." If you really can make a living at it, bookings increase and you forge a career out of it. You have to be able to support yourself, though, and in this instance given his high debt load and needing to support a family, that bar is going to be hard to reach.

NYC is known for not being a very competitive market for musicians and artists. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My friend the BogWitch is pregnant and has discovered a new connection to the aura of all living things.

She is now selling personalized fetus readings.

Here is what you do:

- You let her touch your pregnant belly.
- She reads the auras of the fetus inside your body.
- You deliver her magazines or other works of literature that are meaningful to you.
- She translates the baby's aura reading from her mind into a message by going through your literature and finding words that align strongly with your baby's aura.
- You pay her $180.
- You get this:

People have placed 8 orders that I can see and are overwhelmingly positive about how accurately she read their fetus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hope is a terrible, ruinous thing sometimes.

I recently got into knitting. It can be a deceptively expensive hobby, especially if you want to support local yarn makers and distributors. A couple weeks ago I was at a small-ish yarn store, and a couple middle-aged women were joking with each other about lying to their SOs what they were spending their yarn money on. One said that she was cheaping out on their baby and pet food to save more money for yarn. :(

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My friend the BogWitch is pregnant and has discovered a new connection to the aura of all living things.

She is now selling personalized fetus readings.

Here is what you do:

- You let her touch your pregnant belly.
- She reads the auras of the fetus inside your body.
- You deliver her magazines or other works of literature that are meaningful to you.
- She translates the baby's aura reading from her mind into a message by going through your literature and finding words that align strongly with your baby's aura.
- You pay her $180.
- You get this:

People have placed 8 orders that I can see and are overwhelmingly positive about how accurately she read their fetus.

Excuse me, this is the "Bad with money" thread. Charging people $180 to glue some poo poo from some magazines that they bring to you to a picture of a fetus seems extremely Good with money.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I always enjoy the Bogwitch updates. Initially because lol wtf, but now because it’s kind of impressive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thanatosian posted:

Excuse me, this is the "Bad with money" thread. Charging people $180 to glue some poo poo from some magazines that they bring to you to a picture of a fetus seems extremely Good with money.

It's BWM to pay her.

I am fairly sure that she is making bank. Her tinctures and mushrooms are ~$60 for a 4 oz bottle of water and "essence" of something.

She also just had to spend an enormous amount of money fighting the city and reversing changes she made to her house a few months ago and had all the cash on hand.

I feel so conflicted. She quit her job as the #2 accountant at a Fortune 500 company to do stick-and-poke/bogwitching and it is so bizarrely dumb, but now I think she may be one of the smartest people in the world.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 9, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

One said that she was cheaping out on their baby and pet food to save more money for yarn. :(

As long as she's making them warm scarves , hats, and doggie coats they'll at least be warm as their body temperatures drop from malnutrition.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The upcoming Bezos divorce has the potential to be the most BWM of all time. Especially as they got married 25 years ago and it’s unclear if there’s a pre-nup.

Even getting 1% of his net worth would be ten figures. Hachi machi.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not a Children posted:

Hope is a terrible, ruinous thing sometimes.

I recently got into knitting. It can be a deceptively expensive hobby, especially if you want to support local yarn makers and distributors. A couple weeks ago I was at a small-ish yarn store, and a couple middle-aged women were joking with each other about lying to their SOs what they were spending their yarn money on. One said that she was cheaping out on their baby and pet food to save more money for yarn. :(

I remember seeing a single panel comic of a wife catching her husband at the model train store and said something like "Why can't you blow all your money at the bar like a regular husband?"

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Wait so $180 is "Less than a date night?"

I mean sure, live shows are expensive, but if that's your typical date night then maybe you have bigger problems than pissing away money on useless crystals.

Cause drat, $180 can get 2 people in to an IMAX movie and a really nice dinner. Or if you have kids, a regular movie and a decent dinner once the babysitter takes their share.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wouldn't even know how to spend $180 in one night.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The upcoming Bezos divorce has the potential to be the most BWM of all time. Especially as they got married 25 years ago and it’s unclear if there’s a pre-nup.

That's not the Paul McCartney record I want to break

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure he'll suffer with only *checks notes* $25B

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Uber both ways and order multiple drinks for two people at a nice restaurant.

One of my friends and his fiance insist on ubering into town when they go to a fancy restaurant because they want to get drunk there. You will get reamed at a high-end place where the cheapest bottle of wine is $119.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 9, 2019

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Almost any live show. I saw someone trying to offload Hamilton tickets for $500/ea when it came to our area, and that was sold for cost (supposedly). That's on the extreme side, but just about any live performance is going to be $50+/ea minimum for any nationally-known touring performer (musician/comic/play/etc), and it just goes up from there depending on demand.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gently caress man, movie tickets at boring old normal non imax are $20 each. Tickets for two and dinner at a not fancy restaurant can hit 80 before you even think about booze. Add a sitter if you’ve got kids and Uber and you’re there.

BWM: having fun with your wife

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Washington is a community property state so at least in theory she is entitled to half of all of their joint assets and almost certainly alimony approximately equal to 1/2 of Bezos' annual compensation for a long time if not the rest of her life. It will be certainly fascinating to watch this unfold because nobody wants the public spectacle and Amazon has a business interest in preventing a single outside third-party shareholder from owning something like 50 billion dollars of their preferred stock. Definitely bad with money in an accounting sense to get divorced, but probably not that bad from a utility sense to get out of an apparently unhappy marriage and the marginal utility difference between a personal wealth of 50 billion dollars and 100 billion dollars must be pretty close to zero.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress man, movie tickets at boring old normal non imax are $20 each. Tickets for two and dinner at a not fancy restaurant can hit 80 before you even think about booze. Add a sitter if you’ve got kids and Uber and you’re there.

GWM: converting that repeated babysitter outlay to a one-time outlay for a vasectomy.

Jan 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

since you're new to this thread we're about to have the argument again wherepeople discuss on one hand how much their local Chinese takeout cost in Des Moines Iowa and then on the other hand people talk about how much upscale sit-down restaurants in big cities cost and then nobody can believe that there such a big difference and somebody somewhere must be being really bad with money about it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

GWM: converting that repeated babysitter outlay to a one-time outlay for a vasectomy.

Vasectomies don't kill your existing kids. You're thinking of vaccines :tinfoil:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can you trade in your car right after refinancing? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 23 hours ago by mcmz12

quote:

Right now my car loan interest rate is around 7.74% and I owe 13 grand the trade in value would be 9 grand I would assume since there tying to make money and it’s worth 12 or 13 grand if I refinanced to let’s say 4 or 5% and went from oweing 13 grand to 12 or 11 grand could I trade the car in right after? Possibly even sell it?

quote:

You need to clarify what you’re trying to do, cause after reading it five times it still doesn’t make sense. Are you trying to sell your car to them and buy back your car?

quote:

[–]mcmz12

[S] -6 points 23 hours ago
I’m trying to get another car that I want by trading in this car by minimizing that amount of money I owe to the finance company and the amount of money that the place I will sell my car too will give me so if right now I owe 13 grand in payments but they give me 9 grand for trade in value I’m paying a $6,000 difference so just trying to minimize the interest im paying for this current company to minimize the difference

quote:

[–]Ak15567

[+1] 20 points 23 hours ago
Honestly man the only thing I got from that is that you’re terrible with money. You’re already 4K underwater and you want to get a new car?

To answer your question you can trade in your car and put 6k down for your next car. Idk where you’re getting all these 4-5% interest rates from when they gave you almost 8% now, but most likely you’ll be underwater for your next car too.

My advice for you is to stay in your lane and don’t waste money like this. Pay off your current car man.
[quote]
mcmz12

[S] -4 points 22 hours ago
And the trade in value is worth 9k because if it’s work 12k or 13k there gonna want to resell it so they will Offer around 9k kelly blue book selling it to a person I could get 13k which means I lose absolutely no money at all

quote:

mcmz12

[S] -19 points 22 hours ago
Lol it’s funny because I’m absolutely great with money I drove a lot of miles which lowered my car value it’s not like I got a bad deal it’s just the way I drive

quote:

[–]mcmz12

[S] -2 points 21 hours ago
I’m not great with money? But I have a great amount of money so I’m confused

Post history reveals this rocket surgeon is on disability at age 25 because he took enough molly to fry his brain. I'm sure he has a great amount of money.........

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

since you're new to this thread we're about to have the argument again wherepeople discuss on one hand how much their local Chinese takeout cost in Des Moines Iowa and then on the other hand people talk about how much upscale sit-down restaurants in big cities cost and then nobody can believe that there such a big difference and somebody somewhere must be being really bad with money about it

Yep. College town though. Arts and entertainment are very cheap here.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Part of a tasting dinner for one at a 2-3 star Michelin restaurant.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Posts as old as time, song as old as rhyme, goons and BFC

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Expensive restaurants are a form of Boredom Spending. Keep yourself busy by planning a wedding or running a horse ranch and you'll avoid the issue entirely.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BWM 2019: it’s my mistake to make

Jan 11, 2004

baquerd posted:

Part of a tasting dinner for one at a 2-3 star Michelin restaurant.

maybe at one of those kind of long in the tooth places still getting that second star out of respect but everyone knows the chef doesn't really have it in him or her to earn that third star, and you probably have to eat at the bar at 5 p.m. on a weekday

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol. You can't avoid these derails even when you try :allears:

How much was your most recent Michelin Meal mr Cape?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

maybe at one of those kind of long in the tooth places still getting that second star out of respect but everyone knows the chef doesn't really have it in him or her to earn that third star, and you probably have to eat at the bar at 5 p.m. on a weekday

That is an impressively niche burn

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Motronic posted:

Can you trade in your car right after refinancing? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 23 hours ago by mcmz12

Post history reveals this rocket surgeon is on disability at age 25 because he took enough molly to fry his brain. I'm sure he has a great amount of money.........

:psyduck:

Does anyone have any idea how his maths are supposed to work? I'm really curious, but I absolutely don't understand what he thinks he's doing. There's a part where he thinks that because he owes 13k on the car, it's automatically worth 13k, but then there's 6k seemingly out of nowhere?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He thinks the current total owed number displayed on the loan is inclusive of the total interest due on the life of the loan, among other misunderstandings he has.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

:discourse:

I just want to state for the record that I am Team Bogwitch

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Enchanted Hat posted:

:psyduck:

Does anyone have any idea how his maths are supposed to work? I'm really curious, but I absolutely don't understand what he thinks he's doing. There's a part where he thinks that because he owes 13k on the car, it's automatically worth 13k, but then there's 6k seemingly out of nowhere?

Look at his post history runon sentences with no actual context are the norm and apparently molly hosed his head up because it wasn't molly.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So how attached are we to the thread title? This one seemed to be the most wanted.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Change it!!

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Magissima posted:

BWM 2019: You don't have the money to play starving artist

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Magissima posted:

BWM 2019: You don't have the money to play starving artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's BWM to pay her.

I am fairly sure that she is making bank. Her tinctures and mushrooms are ~$60 for a 4 oz bottle of water and "essence" of something.

She also just had to spend an enormous amount of money fighting the city and reversing changes she made to her house a few months ago and had all the cash on hand.

I feel so conflicted. She quit her job as the #2 accountant at a Fortune 500 company to do stick-and-poke/bogwitching and it is so bizarrely dumb, but now I think she may be one of the smartest people in the world.

There is only one way to know for sure. See what happens when a man asks for a personalized fetus reading.