Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fsmhunk posted:

I liked him too. I don't object to a cute Kaiju in principal

But we already haaaaaaaave Anguirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I did not like Minilla in Final Wars, but it was not out of principle. I thought his scenes were really out of place with the rest of the film, both in terms of narrative and tone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

From wrestling legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger:

https://twitter.com/Liger_NJPW/status/1083919512863297536

I would like a hat like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

If King of the Monsters has Charles Dance reciting this verse, it will immediately become my favorite movie of all time.

Yes, it will top Ghostbusters.

I would prefer that he say “History shows, again and again, how nature points up the folly of man.”

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I liked Minilla in Final Wars (then again, I'm one of the few diehard fans that loves Final Wars 100%). I actually gasped out loud the first time I watched it and he let out the full blast atomic breath without help at the end, as that's something he's never done. He's always needed poppa G stomping his tail and stuff to go past the rings.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Choco1980 posted:

I liked Minilla in Final Wars (then again, I'm one of the few diehard fans that loves Final Wars 100%). I actually gasped out loud the first time I watched it and he let out the full blast atomic breath without help at the end, as that's something he's never done. He's always needed poppa G stomping his tail and stuff to go past the rings.

It's a nice way to cap off the era of suitmation. It's sort of like vs Destroyah in that it ends with Godzilla's kid showing his transition into a worthy heir.

The problem with Minila's scenes wasn't him, it was the goofy-rear end old guy. Everything else is treated more or less sincerely no matter how crazy, but the old guy felt like the movie knew it was a gag.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Davros1 posted:

From wrestling legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger:

https://twitter.com/Liger_NJPW/status/1083919512863297536

I would like a hat like that.

I would also like that hat. Let me know if anyone figures out where to order them.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think Godzilla's Revenge is a good film. Even the extensive use of stock footage kind of works as it follows a young boy who daydreams about Godzilla and Minilla to escape from the doldrums of his existence, and so you could read it as the boy incorporating scenes from his favourite films into his imaginings.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Karloff posted:

I think Godzilla's Revenge is a good film. Even the extensive use of stock footage kind of works as it follows a young boy who daydreams about Godzilla and Minilla to escape from the doldrums of his existence, and so you could read it as the boy incorporating scenes from his favourite films into his imaginings.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "good" film, but I think the hate it gets is less due to its objective quality and more due to the fact that it's probably the Godzilla movie with the most narrowly focused target audience and therefore really difficult to enjoy if you're not a young Japanese boy circa 1970.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Karloff posted:

All Monsters Attack (the original version) is a decent film, but the Americanized version drops or glosses over so much of the human story, particularly the critique of the working class economy of the time producing latchkey kids and absentee parents, that it becomes little more than cheap escapism for American kids.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered the first time I watched Final Wars and they cut to Minilla in the front seat of a car and I almost freaked out because I thought he was driving. I was so disappointed when I realized he wasn't :smith:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Watched the last episode of the Netflix Godzilla series.

Yeah, I'm glad Netflix has a fast forward function.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah lol

i like how he avoids child support payments by getting obliterated by godzilla at the end

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
That Netflix series is one of the most boring things ever. I don't know the history behind it but I assume it was some other story that they shoehorned Godzilla into.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it was more it was supposed to be one movie and it got made into a trilogy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What I didn't understand is why they had Vulcans and Klingons with the names filed off in the film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is the worst of everyone working on it and that's impressive

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Godzilla anime is cool because it doesn't have a single likeable character. I was actively rooting for Godzilla to kill them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fsmhunk posted:

The Godzilla anime is cool because it doesn't have a single likeable character. I was actively rooting for Godzilla to kill them.

Didn't they kill Godzilla in the first episode?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Fsmhunk posted:

I haven't seen the third but as far as I can tell the protagonist's entire arc is "tries to kill Godzilla, gets owned, tries to kill Godzilla, gets owned, tries to kill Godzilla, ?"

This is the hero. This is the most developed character in the entire thing. And his motivation is literally no more complex than that one crazy general in Godzilla 2000.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I haven't seen the third but as far as I can tell the protagonist's entire arc is "tries to kill Godzilla, gets owned, tries to kill Godzilla, gets owned, tries to kill Godzilla, ?"

This is the hero. This is the most developed character in the entire thing. And his motivation is literally no more complex than that one crazy general in Godzilla 2000.

He finally develops into

commiting suicide by attacking Godzilla instead of getting over his irrational hatred. He chose to do that, reject growth as a person and betterment entirely, so that he could abandon his unborn child and lover and all of the people who still looked up to him for support and leadership. While also taking every last scrap of technology with him, because gently caress you doctor who wanted to help people with superior medicine and the future human race, I'm going to be a selfish rear end in a top hat to the goddamn bitter end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow I'm really glad I didn't watch those.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

He finally develops into

commiting suicide by attacking Godzilla instead of getting over his irrational hatred. He chose to do that, reject growth as a person and betterment entirely, so that he could abandon his unborn child and lover and all of the people who still looked up to him for support and leadership. While also taking every last scrap of technology with him, because gently caress you doctor who wanted to help people with superior medicine and the future human race, I'm going to be a selfish rear end in a top hat to the goddamn bitter end.

"Everyone sucks and is dumb, you're better off being an anarcho-primitivist or getting killed by Godzilla" seems to be the overarching theme.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It feels more like bitter nihilism than trying to make a point about anything.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 13, 2019

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Honestly while all the human-space elf drama was really bad I could have lived with it but if the monster action was any good, but they even hosed that up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that the last movie FINALLY had a kaiju fight, and it actually had *A* good idea

That they proceeded to stretch for 20 goddamn minutes and then Godzilla shot a bunch of black spots in the sky

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ghidorah is pure energy and Godzilla can't attack him because he's from another dimension also he has no body and is just heads and neck also Mothra is just a ball of light.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s really cool how the ENTIRETY of the fight between Ghidorah and Godzilla is Ghidorah boring and lifting Godzilla. This action is stretched over 30 minutes. That’s it. That’s the entirety of the fight. Once Haruo(?) beats the elf dude and Ghidorah becomes tangible Godzilla slaps one head and shoots the other two and wins.

If the goal was to make the lost uninteresting boring Godzilla movie they succeeded. It feels like they wanted to make a statement with Godzilla’s size and effect on the planet while also not knowing what that statement could be. So we have the biggest Godzilla ever and you can’t even do anything good with him as a force of nature or as simply a giant Kaiju since he’s an afterthought to the real effect of Godzilla on the planet ( all life on earth essentially assimilating itself to Godzilla ).

The ending, in addition to the loss almost all of humanity(?) just made the entire thing very cynical and just not fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The elf dudes are X Seijin in this dimention. They needed those slit-shades.

Edit: even Mothra was a cop-out in these movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You know I've seen every Godzilla movie but this may be where my completion-ism is tested.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I thought that their version of Ghidorah took an interesting angle but yeah, pretty much everything else about the trilogy was just a whole bunch of missed opportunities.

The overall animation was pretty ugly as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I thought that their version of Ghidorah took an interesting angle but yeah, pretty much everything else about the trilogy was just a whole bunch of missed opportunities.

The overall animation was pretty ugly as well.

I thought it was okay for all the spaceships and tech but it just doesn't work for monsters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite being all CGI the animation fell back on the really obnoxious anime habit of throwing the "camera" around to obscure cheap looking visuals by making it impossible to get a clear look at what is happening. It's the animation equivalent of shaky cam and it's awful. They used it way too much in the first film with the dragon reptiles and the jetbikes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

drat shame the movies weren't likeable because the concept of Ghidorah being an extra-dimensional entity sounds pretty cool.

Also, the dude committed suicide because he realized that if they redeveloped that tech, Ghidorah would return and gently caress poo poo up for real this time.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Nobody's talking about the best part of Anizilla 3, where The MC has a vision in which Mothra saves Hiroshima by destroying the Enola Gay, which is also Ghidorah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zartosht posted:

Nobody's talking about the best part of Anizilla 3, where The MC has a vision in which Mothra saves Hiroshima by destroying the Enola Gay, which is also Ghidorah.

Japan, y'all got issues.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Please, the world as a whole has issues with WW2 and film media. Japan is no different.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Please, the world as a whole has issues with WW2 and film media. Japan is no different.

I mean, we probably wouldn't have Godzilla as he is if the the bombs hadn't been dropped.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Arcsquad12 posted:

Japan is pretty unique world war 2 wise, they made the movie Godzilla nine years later about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Japan is pretty unique world war 2 wise, they made the movie Godzilla nine years later about it

Godzilla was also inspired by Lucky Dragon No. 5 which happened the same year it came out and inspired the entire opening.