Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do want to learn other options though because over relying on it kills my thighs after a round or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

When people put me in lockdown I stand up into the scorpion lock thing and I think ‘gently caress you’ while I do it

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but they dont know that

Let em tug for three minutes till they are off balance

yeah this is a terrible approach lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

old.flv posted:

yeah this is a terrible approach lol

All my approaches are and will likely remain so well into the future

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is the electric chairs primary purpose to get to (in order of priority(?)):

1. The vaporizer
2. Complete the electric chair submission or
3. get over the leg into like a leg drag type position

Which do you guys normally go for? The EC submission and Vaporizer are nasty submissions and are generally frowned up in Gi, but #3 I use every once and a while.

The lockdown is actually pretty easy to get out once you understand what your opponent is doing to your leg.

EC is mainly used to sweep and come up on top, sometimes it leads to an EC submission, sometimes a vaporizer.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is the electric chairs primary purpose to get to (in order of priority(?)):

1. The vaporizer
2. Complete the electric chair submission or
3. get over the leg into like a leg drag type position

Which do you guys normally go for? The EC submission and Vaporizer are nasty submissions and are generally frowned up in Gi, but #3 I use every once and a while.

The lockdown is actually pretty easy to get out once you understand what your opponent is doing to your leg.

At the gym, I'm usually just looking for the sweep and pass (#3). That's mostly because I like rolling into the truck from twister side control. If I were more concerned about "winning," I would try to complete the submission first. Some inflexible people tap when I only really want the sweep. There are a couple of super flexible people though that will just do the splits right on top of me. The vaporizer comes from abandoning the electric chair into stoner control. Stoner control is the backup plan for me if they're flexible and start to clear their foot to the other side on their own during the electric chair. I don't usually initiate that. From stoner control, I usually just go into twister side as though I had completed the EC sweep. I've found it hard to maintain the right leg angle to hit the vaporizer when I come up into stoner control and I feel like I'm fighting my own knee positioning too much. I'm also at an IBJJF, pajama wearing gym, so I try not to be too much of a jerk about involving the dark arts of leg attacks.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I like to secure an over/under grip after I sweep with the EC, this lets me kick my inside leg over and smash them into a little ball as I drop the shoulder of doom.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I went HAM on someone in the gym today because he put a headlock using the blade of his wrist across my teeth and drove it into my mouth and teeth. I'm normally a nice guy but if that's the game then I'm playing my full power full speed A game.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What's your ham game?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

I went HAM on someone in the gym today because he put a headlock using the blade of his wrist across my teeth and drove it into my mouth and teeth. I'm normally a nice guy but if that's the game then I'm playing my full power full speed A game.

Was this person good? Could they have done it on accident? Because I've had that done to me, presumably on accident.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

Was this person good? Could they have done it on accident? Because I've had that done to me, presumably on accident.
It was a brown belt. I explained why I went so hard and he apologized and explained that he did it by mistake.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What's your ham game?
Dominating top position and pressure. Knee riding everything and driving the opponent into the mat. From a takedown perspective suplexes and lateral drops.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 15, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Do you guys ever use your shin to pressure a guy's head? It seems like it'd be effective but its so brutal-looking I've never tried it out.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

Most of my game revolves around doing unnecessary mean stuff with my bony parts but even I try to stay away from people's mouths.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Do you guys ever use your shin to pressure a guy's head? It seems like it'd be effective but its so brutal-looking I've never tried it out.

I don't even really give people the shoulder of justice, so there's next to no chance I use my shin on someone's face.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

I don't even really give people the shoulder of justice, so there's next to no chance I use my shin on someone's face.

What's wrong with the shoulder of justice? I don't think I could hurt anyone in a million years with that. And I've tried to put people's faces through the mat with pressure.

Can you? :ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use the EC to get top position, and if someone tries to break the lockdown, it means they've taken their weight off of me, especially their shoulder off of my face, and I can immediately start working for a better half guard position.

Shoulder of justice is pretty much expected at my club. Everyone does it sometimes. Some dudes do it really well.

e. and I shin on head in certain circumstances, but mostly as a counter-move.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Drewjitsu posted:

What's wrong with the shoulder of justice? I don't think I could hurt anyone in a million years with that. And I've tried to put people's faces through the mat with pressure.

My 10 year old could pop my head like a melon with his shoulder of justice game.

Some people are super effective with it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/CatchWrestling/status/1084210555949383680

Does this.....work?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

It looks like a good way to give up your back if you don't finish the leg lock.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

if bottom guy does absolutely nothing to break posture or sweep the top guy when he swings around, sure.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Nothing is wrong with it, I just am on the heavier and stronger side and I'm sure it's absolutely miserable when I deliver the shoulder of justice. I really try hard not to use my best attributes unless someone is a oval office.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Asking if you should put your shin on someone's head is the wrong question, instead think about how to finish a shinlock with your forehead

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
One of my main training partners for a long time *loves* to stall with the lockdown to little real effect, so I got enough practice balancing from there that now when I get put there I just happily work my normal top half attacks while the bottom guy huffs and puffs wasting all of their attention and effort trying to sweep me.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

When people put me in lockdown I stand up into the scorpion lock thing and I think ‘gently caress you’ while I do it

I got a lesson on that in like my second month of training and forgot about it until you mentioned it just now, thank you for the reminder.

My gym's in-house Quintet tournament a couple weeks ago was a blast. The instructors set a skill cap of purple belts and below (mostly), picked four team captains, and had the captains draft team members from the pool of people who threw their names in the metaphorical Goblet of Fire with a nominal weight limit that was probably ignored. My entire team got taken out by one guy whose heelhook game was head and shoulders above ours, and after completing the official bracket, it turned into a round-robin for the unexplored matchups because why not. My moment of glory for the tournament and, indeed, the entire year was avenging a teammate who got picked up and thrown around for almost eight minutes by the aggro pro MMA fighter captain on the other team. I sat down and butt scooted towards him while one of the other captains mocked him from across the room for not passing my guard until I could reach his legs, then I snapped on a toehold. Hail Satan.

In-house tournaments rule, Quintet format rules, and both together is like chocolate and peanut butter.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Nothing is wrong with it, I just am on the heavier and stronger side and I'm sure it's absolutely miserable when I deliver the shoulder of justice. I really try hard not to use my best attributes unless someone is a oval office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISBP_fPg1s&t=43s

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

electric chair looks sick

excited to try it out

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

electric chair looks sick

excited to try it out

Many people dont see it coming either. Just watch it with the sub and go slow, it can do nasty things to people hips as well as I learned recently on a dude I was rolling with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Many people dont see it coming either. Just watch it with the sub and go slow, it can do nasty things to people hips as well as I learned recently on a dude I was rolling with.

Yeah I will probably focus on using it as a sweep first before trying it as a sub

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Usually you need the threat of the submission to give you the easy sweep.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

two things

1. Electric Chair is way harder than it looks lol. I did learn how to pull a deep half guard though.

2. My instructor today was like "I knew you were serious about this when you shaved your head"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
About three months into my white belt now, today I read a Stephen Kesting article about how white belts shouldn't become fixated on subs that mostly work on other white belts (Americana) and instead develop subs that work at all belts (arm bars, triangles, RNCs). Brought it up in class while we were stretching and all the colored belts smiled like I was suddenly in on the joke :arghfist:.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

two things

1. Electric Chair is way harder than it looks lol. I did learn how to pull a deep half guard though.

I stopped by my gym tonight just to catch up with people. I'm still too injured to train. A white belt buddy of mine came up to me and told me he's been hitting electric chairs a lot and thanked me for showing him. He said "It worked on a brown belt the other day! I had no business sweeping that guy." I don't know what kind of resistance the brown belt was giving him, but I always feel pretty good when other people report back on moves I showed them to let me know it worked for them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I got a weird injury last night I can't find any info on, and I was wondering if you guys had any experience with it.

I had my foot sideways laying on the ankle on the mat and a dude rolled over it with his full weight so that it kinda folded my foot in on itself. There was an audible pop that felt like when you crack a knuckle. It didn't hurt at first, but now today its a bit sore right around the cuboid bone.

I can still walk fine so I figure its nothing serious, but just curious if anyone knew what happened.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I stopped by my gym tonight just to catch up with people. I'm still too injured to train. A white belt buddy of mine came up to me and told me he's been hitting electric chairs a lot and thanked me for showing him. He said "It worked on a brown belt the other day! I had no business sweeping that guy." I don't know what kind of resistance the brown belt was giving him, but I always feel pretty good when other people report back on moves I showed them to let me know it worked for them.

The brown belt probably knew what he was going for...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

It's been a month since I popped my rib. Holidays and travel and baby mean I haven't been able to do anything, much less train, which is probably a blessing in disguise as I haven't really been tempted to rush back. However as I've settled into the routine of the new year this past week I've started to feel a bit antsy and a really missing training.

Smash cut to today which is the first day since it happened where I've woken up and felt like I could actually go and train. So I'm planning on giving it another week of rest and then try to go back next week sticking to warmups/light drilling/no rolling for at least a week.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im going through an "I suck" period again. I get trapped on bottom and am basically a one trick pony resorting to deep half sweeps (although I am getting pretty good about forcing them to happen now). I need to come up with more options from bottom.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys(maybe upper belts)): On any type of pressure pass, or a pass where you have the legs locked up, the typical defense is to push the head away. It makes passing a lot more difficult. Whats the counter to that from the passers perspective? What should I be doing to counter the head push??

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Getting your head to the other side is a good general response. Can also reposition to lead with the shoulder or hip.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Question for you guys(maybe upper belts)): On any type of pressure pass, or a pass where you have the legs locked up, the typical defense is to push the head away. It makes passing a lot more difficult. Whats the counter to that from the passers perspective? What should I be doing to counter the head push??

hop to the other side and cross face?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Look at some of the tutorials regarding guard passing when they push the head.

Most of them will advocate for circling around to the back, as if they are pushing your head they are on their side and exposing their back.

Let my friend BJJ Kermit show you how it's done:
https://youtu.be/nkC5gqqg9uo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The triangle dvd from danaher has been released according to his IG