Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hero of Justice themed character pack: Jiren, Toppo, Great Saiyaman, Mr. Satan, and special guest All Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What, no Jaco?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I want chi chi.

Or Bulma for that matter (she could fight using various capsules and/or maybe that robot suit she used once in DBZ).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

as long as Kefla is in I'm satisfied, though Ribirianne would be a lot of fun too. jiren is okay just kind of boring from a gameplay perspective, he's just another strong dude that hits hard. it's more fun when the characters have crazy special moves and a lot of flair.

really curious what form that DBZ ARPG takes though. i wonder if this is effectively Xenoverse 3?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
My guess would be Super Broly, Gogeta Blue, Jiren, UI Goku, Kefla, Whis, Bojack, Super 13 and comedy Red Vegeta and Goku.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

really curious what form that DBZ ARPG takes though. i wonder if this is effectively Xenoverse 3?

They could finally be trying DBZ Sagas again. That's where my thought went.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

I think it would have to be Xenoverse 3 style aerial combat with loot.

The thing about DBZ combat is it's too fast for a Dark Souls weighty combat style approach and too aerial for a Diablo 3 isometric style approach. There's also, let's be honest, not a ton of variety in what fighters are actually doing.

Maybe instead it'll just be Legacy of Goku for the modern era though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think it would have to be Xenoverse 3 style aerial combat with loot.

The thing about DBZ combat is it's too fast for a Dark Souls weighty combat style approach and too aerial for a Diablo 3 isometric style approach. There's also, let's be honest, not a ton of variety in what fighters are actually doing.

Maybe instead it'll just be Legacy of Goku for the modern era though.

Just have platinum do it

they only have like 5 games in development, I'm sure they can do one more

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bloodly posted:

They could finally be trying DBZ Sagas again. That's where my thought went.

Honestly, Sagas but done properly and competently would be a lot of fun. Dragon Ball definitely could lend itself to that kind of gameplay - too bad that our one example of it is Sagas of all things.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New SDBH screens

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoLA/status/1085582519494475778

Also, I've seen claims on twitter that the first day edition will come with five physical cards but nothing definitive.

I did find that a spanish retailer is giving a Goku Xeno SSJ4 keychain with every preorder :v:

https://twitter.com/VideojuegosGAME/status/1085467505039163392

As for Fighterz, let me know when they add any SSJ4.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Do you actually like anything Dragon Ball related that doesn’t feature garbage from GT? Honest question.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nanigans posted:

Do you actually like anything Dragon Ball related that doesn’t feature garbage from GT? Honest question.

The OG DB, most of Z and there's some bits for Super that make me laugh. But as far as modern DB goes, my interest is on SDBH and anything GT related that sneaks on the multiple video games.

Also, anything with the LatAm dub is a must watch for me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
GT just feels slow to me. The fights seem much lower energy than Z even at its tamest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really do hope the next Dragon Ball game is fully co-op style, where you can do the main story with a group of friends

Take what was learned from Xenoverse and go even further with it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My ideal Dragon Ball game would be a Platinum cinematic action game with an original plotline and villain. Just let them go absolute ham with action setpieces and overblown cutscenes without being tied down to the millionth retelling of Goku vs Frieza or whatever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New Leaf posted:

GT just feels slow to me. The fights seem much lower energy than Z even at its tamest.

Which is funny considering how much shorter it is that any of the other DB series.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

New Leaf posted:

I wouldn't call them "lower energy" but they do suffer from I assume, limited budget, leading to the over reliance of beam spamming and a simplistic fighting choreography most of the time. However, I think the series makes up for it by getting a better integrating the ongoing narrative in the fights and every now and then they got creative with it. Great Ape Baby getting into the usual back and forth with Goku is one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise, for example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I remember it being revealed baby was just crushing and killing poo poo for fun despite up until that point reviving his planet and people was his entire motivation.

Man the baby saga was a mess even by Dragonball standards.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A survival game where you're a saiyan on an alien world. Monster Hunter but with Kung Fu mechanics straight outta Legend of Legaia.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ongoing narrative in the fights, jesus Christ I have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about Dt.

The only ongoing narrative in GT is that everyone is loving garbo except for Goku,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m curious what fight in the entire DB franchise didn’t move the narrative forward, even at its worse that’s kind of the minimum a shonen has to do.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Sea Lily posted:

it's more fun when the characters have crazy special moves and a lot of flair.

This is the reason I actually like playing Krillin and Yamcha in FighterZ, but otherwise just kind of ignore them in other stuff like Xenoverse.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m curious what fight in the entire DB franchise didn’t move the narrative forward, even at its worse that’s kind of the minimum a shonen has to do.
UI Goku Vs Kefla if we are being honest would count, Goku could have kicked them off the stage way before he actually tried and and UI wasn't new. :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zedd posted:

UI Goku Vs Kefla if we are being honest would count, Goku could have kicked them off the stage way before he actually tried and and UI wasn't new. :v:

I mean that whole fight was Goku getting his second wind so he could go against Jiren.

It definitely served a narrative purpose, you can call it weak I guess but it exists.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

I remember it being revealed baby was just crushing and killing poo poo for fun despite up until that point reviving his planet and people was his entire motivation.

Man the baby saga was a mess even by Dragonball standards.

No, his main motivation was to create a new Tuffle Empire, getting revenge on the Saiyans and remaking Planet Plant were a bonus he found on Earth. Baby becoming more reckless is somewhat of a character arc, since he becomes increasingly unhinged as Goku keeps coming back every time. At the start Baby was even wanting to keep Goku as one of his slaves but as their fight went on, he became more and more obsessed with killing Goku no matter the cost.

Monaghan posted:

The only ongoing narrative in GT is that everyone is loving garbo except for Goku,

I've always found this impression interesting since the series goes to great lengths to show that Goku on his own would be easily defeated and is only through the support of his friends that he's able to come on top every time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Asura's Wrath, but Dragon Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebxMaIUr8o

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The only part of GT I enjoyed was the Baby saga between him getting to Earth and them killing him, since there were at least a lot of transformations and power ups there, it was the closest GT ever got to how Z felt for me.

But really all I can remember about GT fights in terms of action was the Omega Shenron fight that reused the same clip of Omega Shenron charging face-first at the heroes about four or five times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

None of the other characters do anything outside the final fusion which doesn’t actually accomplish anything, how did the series go through great lengths to show he needed them. They didn’t do anything outside piccolos hell thing

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've always found this impression interesting since the series goes to great lengths to show that Goku on his own would be easily defeated and is only through the support of his friends that he's able to come on top every time.

Everyone whose not goku get's their rear end kicked all the time and never progresses the story in any meaningful fashion. They even side lined Vegeta for fucks sake. That's like saying Yugi's friends from Yu Gi oh were of vital importance because they cheered him on from the bleachers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of the other characters do anything outside the final fusion which doesn’t actually accomplish anything, how did the series go through great lengths to show he needed them. They didn’t do anything outside piccolos hell thing

As much as I hate to say anything in favor of GT, every major villain defeat is a concentrated effort where people join in and help. Goku gets powered up with the help of his friends in a moment that seems very much like they cribbed it for the SSG power up concept, Android 18 is the reason Goku gets an opening to kill Super 17, and Omega Shenron is just Kid Buu again but the people he's met and befriended in GT included and even the side characters try to stall for time to help. That being said, I would not say any of these moments feel any more meaningful or like they are showing a joined effort from the cast so much as they show up and just help Goku at the eleventh hour, but... it's there.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There was an episode in GT where Uub shows up for the first time since like the first episode, gets his rear end kicked, goes off and transforms, and then the next episode gets his rear end kicked again and iirc that's the last time he shows up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

As much as I hate to say anything in favor of GT, every major villain defeat is a concentrated effort where people join in and help. Goku gets powered up with the help of his friends in a moment that seems very much like they cribbed it for the SSG power up concept, Android 18 is the reason Goku gets an opening to kill Super 17, and Omega Shenron is just Kid Buu again but the people he's met and befriended in GT included and even the side characters try to stall for time to help. That being said, I would not say any of these moments feel any more meaningful or like they are showing a joined effort from the cast so much as they show up and just help Goku at the eleventh hour, but... it's there.

Ah so he is using a very generous definition of help where they don’t actually do anything but effectively moral support.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's honestly impressive when there's a clear character that could take protagonism, said character actually gets an important power-up from someone else's sacrifice, he's shown as not only Goku's apprentice but also a rather intelligent fighter despite being made from one of the dumbest characters in the franchise, and from his very birth he's been meant for glory.

He accomplishes literally nothing in the whole series and actually gets cock-blocked when he tries to get more powerful to help.

In fact the one surprising thing about Gogeta in GT is that Vegeta was even allowed to exist in Goku Time, and that fusion was allowed to happen when both Goten and Trunks, and Uub and Gohan, are not allowed to fuse despite the idea coming up for both pairs, the former because even Gotenks would be pointless because he isn't Goku, and the latter because Uub was apparently too wounded, despite how that's never stopped anyone before.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so he is using a very generous definition of help where they don’t actually do anything but effectively moral support.

It's definitely nothing like the Vegeta, Frieza, or Kid Buu fights where the battle is consistently shifting focus from character to character as they fight whoever the main villain is and how much their efforts mean in the moment, that's for sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention U7 vs Jiren, another gold standard of this

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not entirely true.

Pan and the Para Para Brothers were vital to defeat Ludo, Uub stalling Baby from the inside was what allowed Goku to get his power back to finish Baby, the aforementioned 18's presence being what allowed Goku to take down Super 17, and the boys stalling Omega to allow Goku and Vegeta to fuse allow them to clean up the evil karma from the Shadow Dragons, without that, beating Omega wouldn't meant much since the Earth would've still become hosed by the evil energy.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's honestly impressive when there's a clear character that could take protagonism, said character actually gets an important power-up from someone else's sacrifice, he's shown as not only Goku's apprentice but also a rather intelligent fighter despite being made from one of the dumbest characters in the franchise, and from his very birth he's been meant for glory.

He accomplishes literally nothing in the whole series and actually gets cock-blocked when he tries to get more powerful to help.

In fact the one surprising thing about Gogeta in GT is that Vegeta was even allowed to exist in Goku Time, and that fusion was allowed to happen when both Goten and Trunks, and Uub and Gohan, are not allowed to fuse despite the idea coming up for both pairs, the former because even Gotenks would be pointless because he isn't Goku, and the latter because Uub was apparently too wounded, despite how that's never stopped anyone before.

Not that is something new with the franchise though. That first paragraph pretty much describes Piccolo's role through the series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The first Vegeta fight and the last Jiren fight are my standards for actual team fights in Dragon Ball. They're fights where Goku isn't the absolute center of the team, hell, in both he ends up beaten and someone else (Gohan, 17) ends up taking the victory, and really important blows in the fights are given by people other than Goku as well (Krillin and Yajirobe, Freeza).

The Freeza and Kid Buu fights are also team fights but they're centered around Goku. Freeza's fight is just a constant stall until Goku appears and saves the day, no one else accomplishes anything other than angering Freeza. Kid Buu has Vegeta and Buu being more important in that their stall is vital for Goku's Spirit Bomb, and most importantly, Mr. Satan is absolutely key to the Earth's victory in a way that no one else could accomplish, but it's still a way that allows Goku to win rather than sharing the victory, if that makes sense.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not that is something new with the franchise though. That first paragraph pretty much describes Piccolo's role through the series.

I realized it as I was writing it. Being a non-Saiyan is hard.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blaze Dragon posted:

No Gotenks especially never made sense to me, since I'd expect him to be such a massive teenage shithead that he'd probably blow it anyway; thus leaving the runway clear for Goku/Gogeta to swoop in and save the day. But it would have at least been fun to watch.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah I know Gohan sucked in the Buu Saga and Super.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I never got why people say Gohan sucked in the Buu saga. He was like as strong as super sayian three goku and only lost the fight because trunks and goten were idiots who decided to fuse. I guess there's the earring thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

No Gotenks especially never made sense to me, since I'd expect him to be such a massive teenage shithead that he'd probably blow it anyway; thus leaving the runway clear for Goku/Gogeta to swoop in and save the day. But it would have at least been fun to watch.

If I had to guess a lot of GT was written very quickly which is why outside baby not a lot happens in them. Like out of all the arcs in GT only Baby actually feels like a real arc.