Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are skeletons and zombies worth as cheap tar pits in Legion of Nagash armies or have they been eclipsed by newer units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are skeletons and zombies worth as cheap tar pits in Legion of Nagash armies or have they been eclipsed by newer units?

Hard to go wrong with Chainrasps.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lungboy posted:

Tzaangors get battleline inherently, but also have a caveat that they are battleline in a BoC army only if you take a Shaman general. Does that mean that they are naturally battleline in a GA: C army, but not in a BoC army? I've not seen that before.

Bear in mind they only get Ambush etc if they're in BoC. So I think it's a balance thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They can work well, Chainrasps also work well too. Skeletons are better for some army comps then the others however. (Also Chainrasps are stupidly expensive for how many you get.)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Paint a Wight King to go with my Skeletons

Trying to up my basing game this year.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Looks like he stubbed his toe on that shield. Rad job!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I got me some squigs, both normal and rider variants. The Gloomspite Gits book is nice and i love the fluff in it. One of my favorite storys is the grot who won against a Slannesh cult by leading them into a cave filled with magic mushrooms and the cult just couldnt help themselves and got wrecked on the shrooms and then the grots came in and killed them all while they were all freaking out as the Bad Moon rose in the sky.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK, I've got my first game of AoS this Saturday (or at least that's when the League officially starts). I need to turn in my 500 point list by tomorrow.

I know what I'm going to run:

(460/500 pts)
240 Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
120 5x Sequitors
100 1x Celestar Ballista

But I'm a little confused by, or on the fence about a lot of other "options" for my army:

Battlehost?

Command Traits? Both Shielded by Faith (5+ FNP) and Consummate Commander (4+ to gain a CP at the Hero Phase) both seem really good.

Artefacts of Power... Holy poo poo there are way too loving many. Suggestions? I was thinking the Mindlock Staff?

How do I know what "Chamber" my dudes are?

The Warscroll for my Lord Arcanum lists the spells he knows. Do I still pick 1 spell from all of the Lore tables? 1 from each Lore?

Anything else I'm missing?

I was thinking I'll expand into a Hailstorm Battery in 2 weeks when we go up to 750 points; just need to add the Ordinator + Castigators

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 17, 2019

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Big Stormcast Loser calling in

Sab669 posted:

OK, I've got my first game of AoS this Saturday (or at least that's when the League officially starts). I need to turn in my 500 point list by tomorrow.

I know what I'm going to run:

(460/500 pts)
240 Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
120 5x Sequitors
100 1x Celestar Ballista

But I'm a little confused by, or on the fence about a lot of other "options" for my army:

Battlehost?

Command Traits? Both Shielded by Faith (5+ FNP) and Consummate Commander (4+ to gain a CP at the Hero Phase) both seem really good.

Artefacts of Power... Holy poo poo there are way too loving many. Suggestions? I was thinking the Mindlock Staff?

How do I know what "Chamber" my dudes are?

The Warscroll for my Lord Arcanum lists the spells he knows. Do I still pick 1 spell from all of the Lore tables? 1 from each Lore?

Anything else I'm missing?

I was thinking I'll expand into a Hailstorm Battery in 2 weeks when we go up to 750 points; just need to add the Ordinator + Castigators

Anvils of the Heldenhammer is the okayest choice of Stormhost for something this low in points. Hammers of Sigmar is only picked for super MLG pro Gavriel Sureheart strats, Hallowed Knights doesn't synergise with the buffs the magic Stormcast do, and there's probably no monsters at this low a points level so Astral Templars won't help. This also makes the command trait and artifact choice easy as you'll need to pick what the Stormhost gives you, and Anvils have some half decent stuff.

If you don't want to use a Stormhost, I'd recommend Shielded by Faith at this low a level, or Staunch Defender to make your Sequitors more resilient.

Mindlock Staff is fine if you expect lots of magic users. I really like the Armor of Silvered Sigmarite on a Lord Arcanum as they aren't terribly good in melee, so it makes them more likely to survive if they do get caught.

"Chambers" are a lore thing, don't worry too much about them.

You can pick one extra spell for your Lord Arcanum, and it can be from either Lore. Azyrite Halo owns.

The only thing you're missing is a Mount Trait for the Gryph-Charger, and personality I've never given a poo poo about mount traits. The only advice I'd give is that Savage Loyalty isn't great because ideally you'd want your Arcanum to not die.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get. I think we're supposed to stick with this for the League - so if I pick a Stormhost (or don't) I'm stuck with it until the end of the league. We just add more models / points every 2 weeks.

But yea I think I'm gonna skip a Stormhost. I'll look into more Defensive Artifacts too.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

News just in, Forgeworld are giving head to Stormcast.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/...mcastHeadsJan18

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I admit I want the female ones but at FW prices? Maybe not that badly.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

$20 is a lot for only 10 heads, but I don't think that's beyond "treat yourself" money.

I know earlier this year last year they announced a US-based Forged World distribution network so that Americans don't need to pay through the teeth for shipping. Has that happened yet?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They raised the prices like 25% for the convenience of it.

Really helping us out!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LOL at the people on GW's Facebook who are like 'Finally, we can make female Space Marines'. As if Statuesque and other suppliers haven't produced heads in the right scale for years...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

LOL at the people on GW's Facebook who are like 'Finally, we can make female Space Marines'. As if Statuesque and other suppliers haven't produced heads in the right scale for years...

The female stormcast heads do work rather well though for it. I can attest to that. Even if I did shave off a bunch at the bottom to make the head fit in lower onto the torso.
Although I don't think I'd really want to build a whole army with those heads. At some point the cost would spiral out a bit.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair, having an official means to do it would allow for people to use lady Marines at WHW and at GW ran tournies without pissy TOs raising a stink about 3rd party bits.

Probably a lot less faffing around with greenstuffing necks as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been learning some stuff about the upcoming RPG. A Writer and Producer for the game are part of the Discord for it and Warhammer Fantasy 4e.

Anyone curious about it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

To be fair, having an official means to do it would allow for people to use lady Marines at WHW and at GW ran tournies without pissy TOs raising a stink about 3rd party bits.

Would also got an excellent way to do female Knight Pilots. Which is a thing I want to do with the Canis Rex model but the chance of buying it stand alone from a bits store has managed to slip from my grasp.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyone curious about it?

Sure. Sadly it seems unlikely my usual RPG group would be into a Warham RPG but I'm a big dumb consumer whore who will probably buy the book regardless.

And yea, I don't see anything wrong with being excited about First Party Lady Bits (er, not those) even if they're were other things on the market. Like, I finally bought a painting handle now that GW makes one and my local store carries them. Sure I could've bought one long ago on the internet, but :shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MonsterEnvy posted:

Been learning some stuff about the upcoming RPG. A Writer and Producer for the game are part of the Discord for it and Warhammer Fantasy 4e.

Anyone curious about it?

I might just pick up the book as I really like the AoS lore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

Sure. Sadly it seems unlikely my usual RPG group would be into a Warham RPG but I'm a big dumb consumer whore who will probably buy the book regardless.

We don't have a ton of details

Emmet the Producer posted:

Stuff we've shared about the mechanics:
- The system uses d6 dice pools
- To start you choose an Archetype, which is like your class. Your Archetype lets you choose from a select list of Skills & Talents. As you gain experience the game completely opens up and you are free to advance how you want
- The corebook focuses on the forces of Order but we will be supporting "unconventional" characters with future releases
- We have a "toolbox" that let's you plug in optional rules at different points. This includes freeform character creation

So far all of the playtests for the Age of Sigmar RPG have seen the combat last less than 20 minutes (and that's with upwards of a dozen combatants). Design goal: ACHIEVED

Archetype is also different from species. They are planning on covering known areas and cities in the Mortal Realms along with a few original ones. The tone is Heroic Fantasy so the Adventurers will already start off fairly capable, Fantasy 4e is the game for starting as a farmer.

They really want to flesh out the world more as it has a lot of area to expand in. Along with lots of original creatures they can fill it with.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean if this lets me play a Seraphon right out the box since they're part of the forces of Order I'm game but at the same time I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.
Otherwise it almost sounds like the usual WHFRPG faire.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Looking forward to rping as a fighter bloodbound axemaster (tm) with my party oathsworn triumvirate (tm)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kharadon Overlords are playable out of the gate, I would not be shocked if Seraphon were too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kharadon Overlords are playable out of the gate, I would not be shocked if Seraphon were too.

I mean I won't hold my breath since I have no idea how much of the system would be repurposed from WHFRPG and just making another dwarf variant isn't that hard but neat regardless.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

I mean I won't hold my breath since I have no idea how much of the system would be repurposed from WHFRPG and just making another dwarf variant isn't that hard but neat regardless.

None of the system is being repurposed as far as it seems. Like the System is D6 Pool instead of D100 for example.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

None of the system is being repurposed as far as it seems. Like the System is D6 Pool instead of D100 for example.

Oh yeah. Forgot WHFRPG was d100. :doh:

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I just finished painting my 2k Stormcast list and I'm fairly happy with how they came out. I'll try to remember to take better pictures when I go to a tournament tomorrow.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I like your Jademar dudes.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
AoS is suddenly appealing to me, and I think I want to start an army. I always thought tomb kings were cool, and before they got crazy expensive I snagged a box of tomb guard and some metal heroes a couple years ago.

I see that tomb kings are still in the official AoS army builder app and have points, so I assume they are legal for matched play?

In any case, I am going to mainly just be painting the new skeleton warriors to match my tomb guard, and maybe sprinkle some some tomb guard bitz in with them.

So, my question- should I just play them as legion of negash, or should I attempt to use the tomb king rules?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Godswarn Hunt up for pre-order now: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Godsworn-Hunt-Collection-eng-2019

But most importantly - their AoS rules!

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-godsworn-hunt-en.pdf

I can't say I'm blown away by them - the restriction for bonuses against ScE are a bit awkward and their saves are hot garbage. I dig the enfeeblement spell tho.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 19, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mollog is up too. It appears the reason he is so much smaller then other Dankhold Troggs is because he has shrunk in his old age.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mollog is up too. It appears the reason he is so much smaller then other Dankhold Troggs is because he has shrunk in his old age.

His rules were in the Gitz battletome and he looks like a really solid pickup for any troggoth army.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Arven posted:

AoS is suddenly appealing to me, and I think I want to start an army. I always thought tomb kings were cool, and before they got crazy expensive I snagged a box of tomb guard and some metal heroes a couple years ago.

I see that tomb kings are still in the official AoS army builder app and have points, so I assume they are legal for matched play?

In any case, I am going to mainly just be painting the new skeleton warriors to match my tomb guard, and maybe sprinkle some some tomb guard bitz in with them.

So, my question- should I just play them as legion of negash, or should I attempt to use the tomb king rules?

I’m a Death Player, and I’m very sad because while Tomb Kings can be used with their rules or mixed in with the “Death” faction keyword, taking them in either configuration aren’t really great as far as their viability goes. As always, having fun is more important than anything competitive or whatever

A lot of the goodies and stuff only kick in when you’re using the Legion of Nagash lists.

I’m especially sad at all this because I have two sealed boxes of Tomb King warriors I was excited to make into archers so my death list could finally have some missile weapons.

(Chainghasts can be allied in from Nighthaunt now though)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
As a fellow TK fan, I can commiserate. The two options available are to run them as VC/Deathrattle or keep them on the shelf and hope that GW continues on the track of placating fans and rereleases them as a complete army at some point again.

Some of the kits were kind of dated though, so I think a VC/Deathrattle army are going to be your best bet in getting them to the table.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I sincerely hope for all you Tomb King players that GW realizes how kicken rad the mummies were and makes a separate tomb king faction of Death. Im not entirely sure the lore of Death but arnt the undead able to be independant of Nagash in some way?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Are the ghosts separate from Nagash’s army?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Are the ghosts separate from Nagash’s army?

They are subordinate, but separate. Nagash however can take a fair number of their units in his legions and take the others as allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cover of the new White Dwarf has emerged

I'm so glad it's not just page after page of Gloomspite Gitz.