Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
You know what's incredibly dark about this movie? loving Frieza's last scene. He's out there conquering planets and Goku could stop him but doesn't. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The theater in my little Podunk area sold out on the premiere night for Broly. Kids, adults and nerds were disappointed in the line they had to come in another day because they already ran out of Broly tickets, and I somehow made the right move of preordering them weeks in advance. Dudes came in Goku shirts, a couple dressed up as Goku and Vegeta, people hyping each other with Team 4star memes, but I still got to see it on a giant rear end screen, in the second row because people already filled in the back. And despite how people got quiet between the talky bits, people clapped, hooted and cheered at the film. It was a more energetic viewing than I'm used to.

As weak as some of Vince's screaming parts were compared to his Japanese counterpart, Broly's soft moments really felt like a slice of life episode could pop out at any moment. despite wanting more between certain scene transitions like time skips, honestly the film's a lot more energetic than you'd think a near 2 hour film would be. And goddamn do you want more of Broly's childlike wonderment at anything to be seen. He plays with Frieza's hover seat or gives Goku kind of a little brother's gaze at the end when he's no longer a threat. Goddamn do I want to see him wander around an earth city - even if that would mean some rear end in a top hat gets choked.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just got back from seeing the movie, the animation was amazing. The part where Gogeta and Broly punch a hole in dimensions and Gogeta's utter confusion was great. Frieza acting like a more assholish version of Bulma was really fun too. Also goddamn the Ginyu Force is really old.

The only parts I didn't like were at the beginning, where they were repeating lines of dialogue wayyyyyy too much. The first 20 minutes were pretty much:

Wow this baby has way too much power, I gotta get rid of him
Wow the king is jealous because my baby has way too much power and now he's getting rid of him
Wow I gotta save my baby because the king is jealous of his power and wants to get rid of him
Wow I'm really angry because the king tried to get rid of my baby because he was too powerful

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw the movie

-The fight scenes are beautiful and amazing. I think the fight with Gogeta and Broly at the end is my favorite in the whole series right now, for how rapidly it escalates from form to form and how many altercations and trading of blows happen. It is cool as poo poo that once Gogeta goess SSB he just starts steamrolling Broly, but all of the crazy rear end attacks he pulls out are cool as poo poo.
-Whoever said Gogeta is just Vegito felt like they were generalizing. He definitely quips and acts arrogant, but as soon as he starts fighting Broly he is all business and doesn't gently caress around. I appreciate how seriously he takes it to the point that he almost kills Broly, something Goku on his own definitely would not have wanted. I liked Gogeta a shitton in this film and also him talking poo poo to Frieza with Frieza getting upset about not knowing about the stuff they were up to before he came back.
-Whis is good and him dodging Broly was a fun thing.
-Broly is a good boy and I love him and his green alien girlfriend Cheelai and Lemo was a fun character too. What few scenes you get of Broly being a character are good and make him a character I want to see more of because I find his lack of brain and common sense charming.
-The movie doesn't give Broly enough scenes with Paragus to really establish Broly feeling strong about his father's death being a genuine thing. Like he obviously cares about this person he's spent 40+ years with, but most of their scenes is Paragus being lovely to Broly or demanding things of him. He has a few moments like near the start of the film and when Broly is going on a rampage. But, it feels like when Frieza kills him and Broly freaks out that it's kind of ridiculous. Same goes for the scenes where Cheelai is saying he doesn't want to fight and is being forced.
-I really wish the opening parts of the movie didn't include the Bardock poo poo at all, but I guess they felt the need to include that so Goku had some connection to everything that was happening.
-Goku being friends with Broly is good.

I had fun

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Just saw the movie tonight. Looks like the animation team took some cues from One Punch Man. Did not disappoint.

The only part that really stuck out was where Goku and Vegeta IT to Piccolo to practice the fusion dance. It was obvious that the B team did the animation for that scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Baal posted:

-I really wish the opening parts of the movie didn't include the Bardock poo poo at all, but I guess they felt the need to include that so Goku had some connection to everything that was happening.

I had fun

Yeah, it really just felt like an excuse for Toriyama to adapt Dragon Ball Minus, but hey, I like Gine.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Does Gine get any speaking lines or does she just show up briefly? I'm just curious if she's got a proper VA now

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
To be absolutely fair, Broly makes Minus bearable. There should be more here because it felt like it skipped some beats, but Minus is better now. Not good, but tolerable now.

Also I can't believe Saiyans were trading planets before they were under Cold and Frieza's thumb. So this was basically a Yakuza take over the Saiyan's enterprize and not wanting to share with a potential threat.

Sea Lily posted:

Does Gine get any speaking lines or does she just show up briefly? I'm just curious if she's got a proper VA now

Gine has lines, tries to talk down Bardock's rash actions and is generally shocked and heartbroken about watching Kakarot go into space all alone.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 17, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

She has several. Her appearance isn't huge, but it's not brief.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sea Lily posted:

She shows up enough to give us an idea of her personality. Twas nice.

Also have a picture I drew up in 10 mins because I loved this movie.

I'm so glad he's canon.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 17, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Chris Sabat's King Vegeta voice is just All Might when he's big, just like how Piccolo is All Might when he's small.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha glad I wasn't the only who noticed. I'm like what the hell is All Might taking over Planet Vegeta for.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not entirely, his King Vegeta also sounded like he has poo poo in his mouth when he's talking to paragus. Like all of a sudden King Vegeta was going to harrumph and talk about how he needed a bucket to puke into.

I guess the subtle hoity toity accent was to differentiate it from Piccolo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The poo poo in his mouth is his VILE WORDS ABOUT MY SON.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I appreciated lil Raditz and Vegeta still being voiced by their grown rear end men actors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also appreciated that they acknowledged Tarble.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Waffleman_ posted:

I appreciated that they introduced the topic of Tarble just to say that nobody gives a poo poo about Tarble. It was so abruptly dismissive that it made me laugh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Hahaha glad I wasn't the only who noticed. I'm like what the hell is All Might taking over Planet Vegeta for.

Because meddling when you don't need to is the essence of being a hero.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

Acknowledging Raditz is a much bigger deal than acknowledging Tarble imo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Neo_Crimson posted:

Acknowledging Raditz is a much bigger deal than acknowledging Tarble imo.

The audience at my theater broke out in laughter when he showed up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The animation of this film is incredible. Not only have they finally managed to make their 3D models look very 2D (likely took notes from ASW), but there is PLENTY of well animated 2D animation as well.

Fantastic film. My only complaint is that the writing was sub-par.

Spruchy posted:

You know what's incredibly dark about this movie? loving Frieza's last scene. He's out there conquering planets and Goku could stop him but doesn't. hosed up.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that. I wish Dragonball was a bit more "serious" at times so that Goku's ideals could be challenged, kind of in a "But I'm Batman I cannot kill!" fashion.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 17, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Drove 3 hours both ways to see the movie with my boyfriend. It was very much worth it.

Broly owns

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Captain Baal posted:

-Whoever said Gogeta is just Vegito felt like they were generalizing. He definitely quips and acts arrogant, but as soon as he starts fighting Broly he is all business and doesn't gently caress around. I appreciate how seriously he takes it to the point that he almost kills Broly, something Goku on his own definitely would not have wanted. I liked Gogeta a shitton in this film and also him talking poo poo to Frieza with Frieza getting upset about not knowing about the stuff they were up to before he came back.

This was the most interesting part about Gogeta to me. I don't know if is different in the Japanese or the English dub, but in the LatAm dub, is stated that Vegito and Gogeta are the same being

Also, I was amused at the breathing masks used by the Saiyans being nearly identical to Cumber's mask.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
DBS Broly was extremely good and it easily takes my #1 place among the Super movies. Man that animation was gorgeous.
Is it just me or did Bardock look like he was battle damaged when he was doing his new last stand? I wonder if there's a scene on the cutting room floor of him fighting some Freiza Force dorks or something

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

movie fukken ruled everyone go see it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
#Broly is trending on twitter :toot:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Broly is going to sell more than Battle of Gods, i think it already did that in Japan sales alone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This was the most interesting part about Gogeta to me. I don't know if is different in the Japanese or the English dub, but in the LatAm dub, is stated that Vegito and Gogeta are the same being

This never happens and now I'm seriously wondering if there's two Latin American dubs or something since it's not the first time I see a post about it that has nothing to do with what I watched. The other was earlier in the thread, a complaint about an over 9000 reference that never appears in the movie. Hell, I'm pretty sure this dub was not based on the Funimation one considering subtle but clear differences from the trailers (Gogeta not referring to himself in plural when no other fusion has ever done that, for example)

Then again, maybe you just completely misunderstood what was happening. Gogeta basically points out he isn't Vegetto as soon as he fuses considering his first thought, thanks to Piccolo, is trying to name himself, even saying that with the Potara Vegetto's formed so he can't use that one. He does say that he was Vegetto in that sentence, but that's basically him identifying as... Himself.
Both are still clearly different products, and the movie actually does a good job in showing how Gogeta is different, he's got a cocky smile now but he's still just as no-nonsense as in Fusion Reborn, with pretty much no words whatsoever the moment he clashes with Broly, and even aiming for the kill unlike Goku (but then being happy he failed, unlike Vegeta)

Also hey I watched this yesterday and it was awesome. I'm not sure if it was the changes, the animation, or just the really good Latin American VAs, but I even felt the Minus part. I still prefer Father of Goku but I could've cried with Bardock's words about saving someone instead of finding peace in battle, especially if it could be a low class like him.
Also it was followed by Vegeta just got giving a poo poo he even had a brother and that was the funniest moment in the movie.

I don't feel like writing a lot since pretty much everything was great but goddamn I just had the widest smile on my face through most of the movie, be it from comedy or excitement. Proof spoilers are bad indicators though, I read about Freeza's wish before watching it and thought it was cringey, then I laughed my rear end off in the movie because of the amazing parallel with Bulma and just Gerardo Reyes having the time of his life voicing el emperador Freezer.

The voice acting in general was really good. After Mario Castañeda's disappointing performance in Resurrection "F", he was back to his Goku days here, and Ricardo Brust's voice was greatly helped in post production for some great screams as Broly.

Okay so saying all I liked would take ages so instead I'll point out the very few things I didn't. Let it be known that these are minor and I loved, loved, loved this movie.
-Minus felt completely superfluous. Bardock's last stand has nothing to do with the proper focus of the movie, Broly, and shouldn't have been there. The scenes with Broly as a child could've been expanded with that time instead.
-While letting animators do as they pleased turned this into the most beautiful Dragon Ball has ever been, it also meant sometimes the changes in style were really jarring. Broly's long face when he arrived on Earth, the weird super serious God Goku from my man Takahashi, and a few other minor scenes come to mind. It's far less important than how much good that liberty did to the movie though.
-Broly's signature form feels shoehorned in the film. His Wrath form has a proper explanation and importance, and his first transformation into a Super Saiyan is a moment of pathos for him and a cruel reminder of how Freeza is still Freeza, even if he's used for comedy now. His Full Power form, despite being shown in advertisement and games prominently and being the thing people remember original Broly from, comes out of nowhere and the movie never really seems to care for it. It makes me wonder if it's Toriyama's doing, since that's the kind of transformation he's known to dislike, so he may have just thrown it in out of necessity but with as little importance as he could give it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
In Super Broly, it just Maximum Power Super Saiyan. The natural result of just trying as hard as he can and inflating himself with all of his power. The fact that it can still somewhat go to toe with Gogeta until he's blue is what is actually interesting, but it not necessarily his only trick because Broly's big transformation in this film is just figuring out Super Saiyan 1. The first form that is super influenced by his mutant power and closeness to the Oozaru. But still, dangerous enough for the serious fusion to no nonsense into blue.

And Goku, in his greediness, wants to train him probably to utilize God Ki.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Given how God Ki is all about control and stability, that seems like a pretty good therapeutic measure for Broly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I saw Broly this Monday, I was just too lazy to post my impressions and all, but here we go:

So, to start with the obvious: the animation is GORGEOUS. It's the best-looking DB movie by a mile, and the directing on the fight scenes is top-notch. They went for a more traditional style of coloring and shading too, and personally I think that looks amazing. The CG usage was a bit jarring, but it was sparse or had good composition, so it's whatever.

As for the plot: It's DB, I wasn't expecting a ton to start with, and doing Minus + Broly retellings can temper your expectations like nothing else. However, I think the movie wrangled out an interesting character AND backstory for the latter without sacrificing his former appeal, which is being the X in "I bet X can beat this guy, he's the strongest!" playground arguments. Minus is...still Minus. At least it got more time to elaborate on stuff, and it gave us both more Peak rear end in a top hat Freeza time and the Scouter tracking the extinction of the Saiyan race, which was a good-rear end scene IMHO.

Freeza was really good in this movie, BTW. I like him as an agent of chaos without necessarily engaging the Saiyans directly after Ressurrection F/ToP. Dude learned two lessons: as long as you don't bring the fight to Goku, Goku doesn't give a gently caress about what you're doing; and Saiyans are OP As gently caress and you can't beat them alone when there are two of the assholes around. So, he's better off rebuilding an army and searching for strong warriors he can sic on them. Of course, Freeza is still an arrogant gently caress so he gets beaten down for his hubris, and the best part of Peak rear end in a top hat Freeza is watching him get destroyed by whatever threat he underestimated this time around. One day he'll learn to not trigger anger transformations. One day.

Broly is now a Real Character, and his crew is also pretty fun. I hope they get incorporated into the anime without ever becoming a focal point of it. He's also officially Hulk now, so that's cool too. Dude ended up in a nice place of being potentially stronger than everyone else but still beatable without Deus ex Machinas. I don't think him being mistreated by Paragus detracts from the latter's death triggering his SSJ transformation - he's a pet, basically, and a pet will lash out at anyone threatening his owner, even if the owner was kinda poo poo. Plus Saiyans are lovely parents, Paragus was probably a stellar dad by their standards. Green Girl (I'll learn her name eventually) misunderstanding what a Saiyan is is also par for the course, because to me she also sees Broly as a mistreated pet. Saiyans like fighting, it's why Broly and Goku end up as friends.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crabtree posted:

It'd make sense. Broly's main issue is losing control of himself the moment a fight begins, while Super Saiyan God is portrayed in the movie as a transformation of pure calmness, completely different from the basic Super Saiyan and Blue which are shown as far more forceful transformations. If Broly could attain that peacefulness, he'd be able to control his power, which would be great for him since he's an innocent that doesn't deserve to lose himself in rage, but it'd also be great for Goku since STRONGER FIGHT which is all Goku ever desires.
I wonder though, would that transform his Full Power form into Kale's "True" Legendary Super Saiyan, or would it give him a brand new form?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I still want him to meet Kale first because it isn't as simple as KEEP TRAINING AND IT'LL HAPPEN. Maybe Goku's monkey brain will remember how Kale seemed to understand some sort of calm in the battlefield and tries to get her advice with Broly. An overall emotional state influences his power. Letting others like Chelai, Goku, who knows whatever other friends he can gain - maybe even a little reconnecting with Bah; that's what helps him really calm down. The training just gives him more power, but its finally being allowed to connect to people without Paragus just treating him like an attack dog is what helps him out the most. Nu Broly is super cute, let him be cute. Even if making him fight makes him really cool. HE'S SO drat ADORABLE, BUT HE'S AWESOME WHEN HE POWERS UP! AUGH!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
They had it in the theatres here in Houston, this was an awesome movie. It takes awhile to get to the punch mans because everybody knows they're gonna add the events leading up to Planet Vegeta, but the animation was top notch, and i loved how they were going to use the dragon balls in this one.

Oh, and you don't really have to wear an orange Gi to watch this movie, it's going to be dark and nobody will pay attention to you unless you're a oval office and have your phone on

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really like that Frieza spent an entire hour getting the poo poo kicked out of him by Broly

SMP
May 5, 2009

When's a simple country boy like me going to get to see this motion picture? (when is the digital release)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestonJew posted:

I really like that Frieza spent an entire hour getting the poo poo kicked out of him by Broly

While watching the movie that just felt really weird to me but after a bit it made complete sense and only made it even more clear how drat right Vegeta was at the beginning of the non-Minus part of the movie. Goku and Vegeta had to run from SS Broly because they were getting demolished. Freeza survived a full hour and, even if he was clearly not winning or even accomplishing anything, he was healthy enough to keep his Golden form up when Gogeta appeared.
Between the Tournament of Power and Broly, Freeza kept training, and even if he knew not to pick up a fight with the monkeys he still grew that much stronger. Vegeta was absolutely right in training in case Freeza came back and pointing out to the idiot he's saddled with that Freeza's explosive growth means he's absolutely still a threat. Said idiot...somehow, managed to completely miss this. Oh, Goku.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Let me introduce you to Goku, a man that tries to make friends of people who try to kill him. Like Vegeta.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Or Tien. Or Piccolo. Or Frieza.

Hell, Piccolo actually did get to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Minus is fine, y’all are just olds now and don’t like change. Even if it doesn’t actually change anything. It’s okay.

Also, changes to character models are par for the course when using a looser, more fluid animation style. It’s why those scenes you’re all mentioning look “off.” It’s 100% a conscious decision and not budget/laziness. You can still dislike if, of course. I like stuff being on-model mostly, but also love squash/stretch animation.

Goku 100% should do something about Freeza by the end of the movie. He’s actively hurting people, dude.

Seeing this tomorrow night. Can’t wait!