Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the thing about Ship of Theseus is that once you finish it you're not even sure if its the same book you started

booo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dropping this little nugget I saw posted in a FB group today because I feel some of you will get a kick out of it.

quote:

For the first time in my life, I have failed to finish reading a book purely because the content was too much for me. I expected De Sade's 120 Days of Sodom to be quaintly erotic, like Fanny Hill, but I have never read such filth. Can anyone explain why it's so famous and still in print? I couldn't find anything that made it seem worthwhile.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ornamented Death posted:

Dropping this little nugget I saw posted in a FB group today because I feel some of you will get a kick out of it.

That's hilarious

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ah, yes, the famously quaintly erotic 120
Days of Sodom

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want to meet the grandchild or co-worker who knew the lady liked 50 shades of grey and pulled off this not so subtle troll.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

learnincurve posted:

I want to meet the grandchild or co-worker who knew the lady liked 50 shades of grey and pulled off this not so subtle troll.

One of the weirder things about this is that the FB group it was posted to is focused on horror.

And it was a guy that posted.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Hey, I don't come around this way often, so I'm posing this question here.

I'm nearing the end of writing my first book, a horror novel currently around 100k words long (before editing/pruning). Have any goons gotten their books published via traditional methods? How does that work, exactly? Do you have to know someone "on the inside" to really stand a chance? Also, how does advertising get handled?

If there's already a thread for this type of question tucked away somewhere, a link would be super appreciated. Ty!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

UWBW posted:

I'm nearing the end of writing my first book, a horror novel currently around 100k words long (before editing/pruning). Have any goons gotten their books published via traditional methods? How does that work, exactly? Do you have to know someone "on the inside" to really stand a chance? Also, how does advertising get handled?

If there's already a thread for this type of question tucked away somewhere, a link would be super appreciated. Ty!

Go to the Creative Convention subforum.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

UWBW posted:

There are a few authors that I am aware of that have accounts on SA, but only GeneralBattuta actually posts. (In the Scifi&Fantasy thread.) But yeah, Creative Convention, the Fiction Writing Advice thread.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

Bought Ship of Theseus a week or so ago and finally took it from its packaging and opened it. WTF. I see now why it's not on Audible. I'm kind of intimidated to even start it.
As noted, the ink color has significance. You can either just read it all and figure it out, or use one of the several reading guides out there. I was lazy and did the latter; I would read each original chapter through, then read the notes that signified the first "conversation" between the writers, then move on to the next chapter until I finished the book. Then I went through and read the second back-and-forth conversation. It worked well enough for me. Honestly, my only complaint about the book is that with a little more polish it would have been indistinguishable from finding it on a library shelf, by using newsprint for the clippings (which would unfortunately rub off on the book, etc.) and so forth. Overall, though, it was an incredibly well-produced piece of work for its relatively low cost.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I used some of the money I got for Christmas to buy a bunch of cat cozy mystery books.

And some cat-adjacent cozy mysteries.

I think I may have a problem.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Foundryside is pretty good so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1081097326289190912

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Grey posted:

I've read Neal Stephanson's Snowcrash and Diamond Age, and really enjoyed each.

I recently started Quicksilver with the idea of reading The Baroque Cycle over the winter. I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this though... I'm about 150 pages in and feel like I'm missing out on a lot because I don't really know my British history or about the scientist in The Royal Society. I don't know who guys like John Hooke are and then I get confused if someone like "Roger Comstock" is an actual historical figure or just a fictional character for the book.

Should I continue reading this with the idea that I'll eventually get a better understanding of what's going on? I supposed I could have a wiki sitting besides me as I read it...
Do you know if there's a good digitial copy avail of the first part? The Amazon reviews indicate quality problems (A bad OCR?)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently reading Larry McMurtry's The Last Picture Show, and I'm pretty sure this is the horniest book I've ever read.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fat Cat Takes the Cake is a book wherein the main character successfully gets the person who designed her store's website to hack into the e-mail account of a dead guy whose information they know nothing about, no idea what his online presence was, no idea what his e-mail was, no idea what domain he used, no idea about anything relating to the guy, and it worked and they successfully managed to pull up some e-mails that are actually just text messages treated like e-mails.

https://pastebin.com/LA89mZAt

I'm not even mad. I love this kinda poo poo. I gotta know. Will they successfully stop the evil underhanded schemes of some old dudes who wanna buy other old peoples' houses for super cheap so they can turn the area into an apartment complex? Will the main character's grandma win the local batter battle baking contest? Will the main character continue to complain about fermented quinoa sprouts while going on not-dates with a guy who won't stop talking about the health benefits of fermented quinoa sprouts? Will she continue to see this guy on her not-dates even though she's currently with another guy? Will anybody question why there have been no less than 5 high profile murders in this small dinky town of Dinkytown, Minnesota, where a particularly fat, orange tabby was found next to 3 of the bodies which were also coincidentally next to 3 forms of food that a cat should probably not be eating? Will anyone tell the author that she shouldn't include a recipe for a cat treat that involves feeding cream cheese to your cat? Will anybody actually make the recipes that are in the back of the book that are so important to the plot that they need to keep stopping to remind me of that the batter battle will be happening soon and that they hope this very good and original recipe will win???

Oh and I guess maybe we'll find out who killed the victim and why but :shrug: that's not so important

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Franchescanado posted:

I'm currently reading Larry McMurtry's The Last Picture Show, and I'm pretty sure this is the horniest book I've ever read.

That was in a list of books for a free reading assignment in my junior year of high school for English III. I was working as the projectionist at my local movie theatre at the time and figured it was about movies, so I picked it.

It was not about movies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Have you read Tom Robbins? Any Tom Robbins at all?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh is that why all the hippies like to read him?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No, not yet. I have a few of them on my shelf to read. I wasn't aware that he'd be similar, but it's not surprising with some of the titles he picks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

No, not yet. I have a few of them on my shelf to read. I wasn't aware that he'd be similar, but it's not surprising with some of the titles he picks.

I associate him very strongly with the 1990s.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I associate him very strongly with the 1990s.

and Deadheads

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

> orders a trilogy
> the books are shipped separately
> books 2 and 3 will arrive first

:negative:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad: you must read this Kate Mosse trilogy, here take this
Me: it’s the third one
My dad: oh you will have to buy the other two yourself

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

My dad: you must read this Kate Mosse trilogy, here take this
Me: it’s the third one
My dad: oh you will have to buy the other two yourself

ughhhh

That's up there with finding books 2+3 in a bookstore but not the first one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

At a local county library I frequent, it's almost guaranteed that any middlingly popular book trilogy/series will be missing the first book, since the series is popular enough that the first book will get damaged/lost over the years, but often not popular enough to justify buying a brand new copy every time it happens (at least at the criminal rates that libraries get charged when they buy direct).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
There's nothing quite like sitting in a traditional, warm, busy pub, having a drink and reading a book while picking up snatches of conversation as you smile to yourself over the humourous little moments in the story. It's the best mix of being anonymous, with no-one to bother you and your solitary time while also having a hint of sociability to it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You guys need to watch this hour and a half long book review. It has the most amazing twist at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mrenda posted:

There's nothing quite like sitting in a traditional, warm, busy pub, having a drink and reading a book while picking up snatches of conversation as you smile to yourself over the humourous little moments in the story. It's the best mix of being anonymous, with no-one to bother you and your solitary time while also having a hint of sociability to it.

I used to really enjoy this but now everyone's on devices and nobody can tell you're reading a book, they just think you're on facebook

also I can't judge people by their book covers any more

lose-lose

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

I used to really enjoy this but now everyone's on devices and nobody can tell you're reading a book, they just think you're on facebook

also I can't judge people by their book covers any more

lose-lose

That's pretty much why I've never tried reading Ulysses. I don't want to be seen with it in public.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mrenda posted:

That's pretty much why I've never tried reading Ulysses. I don't want to be seen with it in public.

that's dumb as hell

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I read Infinite Jest in a coffee shop wearing a tweed blazer what is this poo poo

also what the gently caress is trigger warning

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

quote:

JOHNSTONE COUNTRY. WHERE OTHERS FEAR TO TREAD.

From the bestselling authors of The Doomsday Bunker, Black Friday, and Stand Your Ground comes the explosive story of a college under siege—and freedom under fire . . .

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WON’T SAVE YOU

Former Army Ranger Jake Rivers is not your typical Kelton College student. He is not spoiled, coddled, or ultra-lib like his classmates who sneer at the “soldier boy.”

Rivers is not “triggered” by “microaggressions.” He is not outraged by “male privilege” and “cisgender bathrooms.” He does not need a “safe space.” Or coloring books. Jake needs an education. And when terror strikes, the school needs Jake . . .

Without warning, the sounds of gunfire plunge the campus into a battle zone. A violent gang of marauders invade the main hall, taking students as hostages for big ransom money. As a veteran and patriot, Jake won’t give in to their demands. But to fight back, he needs to enlist his fellow classmates to school these special snowflakes in the not-so-liberal art of war. This time, the aggression isn’t “micro.” It’s life or death. And only the strong survive . . .

it should unironically be the next botm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
author of that book: god I hope people don't miss the themes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of appreciate how horny The Last Picture Show was. It manages to show many different angles of human expression through sexual intercourse--as a tool of control, as a way to combat boredom, as an expression of romance, as a way to fulfill emotional dependence, as a perfunctory action, as spiritual or societal rebellion, etc. I think it's a little too pessimistic in that everyone's sexual maturation (or lack thereof) destroys them.

While I think that it's portrayal of women is lovely--they are either manipulative, selfish and obsessed with status (Jacy, Lois), off-puttingly dependent/needy (Ruth), mother figures (Genevieve), or sex workers with discouraging descriptors--the men are actually worse. Sonny and Duane are considered handsome, but they're pretty lovely people, but at least they aren't a homophobic closeted-homosexual molester (Coach Popper), a willfully obtuse cuck (Gene), a child molester (Joe Bob), or any of the countless lovely fathers or rednecks or the preppy kids. Hell, Sam the Lion is revealed to be a genius of love, even. Despite all the toxic masculinity and hypocrisy, the book seems pretty comfortable with vilifying the women while kinda chuckling away the horrible men.

Also the normalization of bestiality was bizarre, to say the least.

I couldn't help but keep being reminded that one of my high school girlfriends read this book during her senior year(?). I remember her describing it to me with repulsion and confusion. I think it's a bad choice for a high school literature course, and I'm surprised that her school, which is a prestigious private academy, taught it.

I don't know if I can say that I liked it overall, but I'm glad I finally read it, if that makes any sense. I'm excited to watch the lauded film adaptation, which seems to have changed a lot of details (the year it takes place, the name of the town, characters, etc.), and I assume, plot points.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was actually pretty happy to finally devote all my concentration from TLPS's horniness to get to some real fun literary adventures of One Hundred Years of Solitude, only to immediately start the chapter where all the women are horny for a well-endowed teenager.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
More like 100 Years of Banging.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

I couldn't help but keep being reminded that one of my high school girlfriends read this book during her senior year(?). I remember her describing it to me with repulsion and confusion. I think it's a bad choice for a high school literature course, and I'm surprised that her school, which is a prestigious private academy, taught it.

I don't know if I can say that I liked it overall, but I'm glad I finally read it, if that makes any sense. I'm excited to watch the lauded film adaptation, which seems to have changed a lot of details (the year it takes place, the name of the town, characters, etc.), and I assume, plot points.

Lots of times high school reading lists will deliberately choose books that have really good movies just so they can then watch the film in class and the students can do compare/contrast essays.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: resolved

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: resolved

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 24, 2019