Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How’s this drill press for $180?

https://morgantown.craigslist.org/tls/d/barrackville-target-industry-tt-18/6780264269.html

Worth my time/money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I finally worked with the 1st piece of wood I got from that huge moving sale from the nearby sawmill. I'm using the maple for some frames for door panels and once I got it planed it looks even better than I had hoped. The picture doesn't do it justice at all in showing the reds and oranges coming out. It's super cool stuff.

I tried to use a method I read about to shim it up on some MDF then run it through the planer as I don't have a joiner yet. It uh, did not work very well. I'm just going to jointer plane down one side by hand before throwing it in the thickness planer. I hosed with the shims / MDF a ton and it didn't ever seem to really even out using the planer sled.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
While we're talking craigslist, any thoughts on if this is worth a look?

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/d/richland-delta-10-table-saw/6790282979.html

I'm really stumped as to what kind of table saw I'd like considering I might want to get a dado set down the road but in the meantime be able to have precision rips of long trim pieces/boards for making basic furniture and interior finishes like baseboards.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If the quill is tight when it's extended all the way and the table doesn't flex with some pressure, motor/belt tension adjustment isn't stripped, sounds relatively smooth then it's probably worth it. There's nothing special about it though, it's just an older version of the same rebranded overseas drill press that's still around today. Maybe offer like $150

Blindeye posted:

It's worth a look because those are pretty decent saws in the price range, but it's not worth $450. Maybe 350 with the top looking like that. Hard pass if it's lived outside to gain that rust instead of just a damp garage or something.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 18, 2019

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

It's worth a look because those are pretty decent saws in the price range, but it's not worth $450. Maybe 350 with the top looking like that. Hard pass if it's lived outside to gain that rust instead of just a damp garage or something.

Yeah I suspect it was out there under the carport because this is the desert and people are dumb about wet compared to when I lived on the East coast. I am scratching my head trying to think of what kind of saw to get and craigslist has so far been...disheartening.

Any thoughts on Grizzly's contractor saws? They seem competitive in price with Dewalt and Hitachi.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Blindeye posted:

Any thoughts on Grizzly's contractor saws? They seem competitive in price with Dewalt and Hitachi.

The minimum good Grizzly is the G0771Z cabinet saw. If it's contractor saw you're after then jump straight to the Dewalt. They're extremely good for the money (although there is only like a $200-300 jump to inexpensive hybrid cabinet saws, but if you have space constraints then that's just the way it goes). DWE7490/DWE7491RS is the full fancy one that takes dado stacks, and I believe the 7480 will take up to 3/8, although not officially.
I personally would prefer the Dewalt contractor saw over the hybrid-ish Delta or the comparable Ridgid. Admittedly I don't know anything about the Hitachi.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 18, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

The craigslist post says it's a year old, so it's probably not deeply pitted even if it was left outside. The cast iron will develop a rusty patina after just a few days' exposure. Mine wasn't this bad but it cleaned up easily with some steel wool and then a nice coat of paste wax.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any pro tip type suggestions for how to use something handy (or inexpensive) as fence-stops on a router table?

The table has a fence, natch, so I was thinking maybe just like some clamps on the fence as stops.

Any suggestions?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Clamps clamped to the fence/table work or blocks of wood clamped to the fence/table work even better. You can also make some fancy blocks of wood that fit over the fence and clamp to it too. Vise grip kind of clamps are good for this, or anything you can operate one handed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

The minimum good Grizzly is the G0771Z cabinet saw. If it's contractor saw you're after then jump straight to the Dewalt. They're extremely good for the money (although there is only like a $200-300 jump to inexpensive hybrid cabinet saws, but if you have space constraints then that's just the way it goes). DWE7490/DWE7491RS is the full fancy one that takes dado stacks, and I believe the 7480 will take up to 3/8, although not officially.
I personally would prefer the Dewalt contractor saw over the hybrid-ish Delta or the comparable Ridgid. Admittedly I don't know anything about the Hitachi.

The DeWalt 7491 is pretty great. I spent a long time deciding between the DeWalt and the comparable Bosch and Hitachi.

The rack and pinion fence on the DeWalt is just the loving best, but the Hitachi has that too, but the one set up in my local Lowe's felt a little flimsier. If you can't commit to a full cabinet saw, the 7491 is totally the way to go.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Are you guys saying that the Dewalt 7491 is a better buy over the Delta 36-725? Or just that it’s the best job site sized table saw? The 7491 looks like the table size would be a lot more limiting than the Delta.

I think $450 is a little high with a rusty top, but if you could knock the price down a bit, it would probably clean up really well. Those don’t pop up very regularly in the Seattle area.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Falco posted:

Are you guys saying that the Dewalt 7491 is a better buy over the Delta 36-725? Or just that it’s the best job site sized table saw? The 7491 looks like the table size would be a lot more limiting than the Delta.

I think $450 is a little high with a rusty top, but if you could knock the price down a bit, it would probably clean up really well. Those don’t pop up very regularly in the Seattle area.

I kind of am, and it's not necessarily because the Delta is bad, but because the price for it feels within reach of a hybrid cabinet saw for another $200ish. At that point I'd rather have an easier to deal with (and very proven) Dewalt jobsite saw or just jump up to the cabinet saw. Used for a good price it's totally worth it, assuming it doesn't have any issues.

That may be a weird opinion, but the Delta and comparable Ridgid R4512 are just in a weird price/inconvenience zone for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

I kind of am, and it's not necessarily because the Delta is bad, but because the price for it feels within reach of a hybrid cabinet saw for another $200ish. At that point I'd rather have an easier to deal with (and very proven) Dewalt jobsite saw or just jump up to the cabinet saw. Used for a good price it's totally worth it, assuming it doesn't have any issues.

That may be a weird opinion, but the Delta and comparable Ridgid R4512 are just in a weird price/inconvenience zone for me.
What is meant by hybrid cabinet saw? Whenever I see something described that way it always just looks like a regular cabinet saw to me. Are they just smaller or something?

I’m with you though-those delta and Ridgid things just looks awkward as hell. Too big to move easily but still not a proper cabinet saw.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is meant by hybrid cabinet saw? Whenever I see something described that way it always just looks like a regular cabinet saw to me. Are they just smaller or something?

I’m with you though-those delta and Ridgid things just looks awkward as hell. Too big to move easily but still not a proper cabinet saw.

lighter base, generally meant to be moved out of the way in your garage/shop. A true cabinet saw has a cast iron heavy as gently caress base that you don't move. A contractor saw is usually on stick legs and meant to be moved around from job site to job site. You can put a contractor saw on a sturdier base or build it into a work bench/table so hybrids fit an odd nitch that can't quite figure out their price in life.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
At long last I'm at the point of starting assembly of my knockdown Nicholson and finding out where all the places I said "that's good enough" are not, in fact, good enough. Getting things to seem square/flush by themselves is a whole lot easier than getting them actually square and flush when put together with something else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

z0331 posted:

At long last I'm at the point of starting assembly of my knockdown Nicholson and finding out where all the places I said "that's good enough" are not, in fact, good enough. Getting things to seem square/flush by themselves is a whole lot easier than getting them actually square and flush when put together with something else.

Oooohhh I remember this exact feeling 1 year ago.

It'll probably all work out. I had to shim one leg pretty heavily and do a lot of planing on the top to get it all evened out in the end.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blindeye posted:

I'm really stumped as to what kind of table saw I'd like considering I might want to get a dado set down the road but in the meantime be able to have precision rips of long trim pieces/boards for making basic furniture and interior finishes like baseboards.

It's got a nice fence and a year old. Those were the defacto standards for guys like me who set up on site and built residential cabinets from the ground up. Much more portable than the big solid cabinet saws, just take the fence off and tip into your pickup bed. I can't tell if it's a direct drive motor- of which I'm not a fan, but it's worth what he's asking.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

z0331 posted:

I really wanted to build one of these like 1-2 years ago and stopped myself because I realized my skill level was equal to never having worked with wood at all and that I'd go crazy trying to get this thing built. Now the plan I found recently seems a lot more simple than I built it up in my head, though considering I won't be moving job sites and I want a workbench for my home, from which we never plan on moving if we don't have to, I still may just build a simpler one with 2x4s and get a flat solid wood door as the surface so it will be permanent.

Don't know your own skill level but good luck with the assembly, sounds like you got the hard part out of the way (maybe)!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

life is killing me posted:

I really wanted to build one of these like 1-2 years ago and stopped myself because I realized my skill level was equal to never having worked with wood at all and that I'd go crazy trying to get this thing built. Now the plan I found recently seems a lot more simple than I built it up in my head, though considering I won't be moving job sites and I want a workbench for my home, from which we never plan on moving if we don't have to, I still may just build a simpler one with 2x4s and get a flat solid wood door as the surface so it will be permanent.

Don't know your own skill level but good luck with the assembly, sounds like you got the hard part out of the way (maybe)!

I'm a complete beginner - this is the first thing I've ever made out of wood as an adult. I bought his workbenches book for the step-by-step because I knew I'd never be able to do it just from the plans available on the internet.

If you use power tools, I would say the bench is not actually hard at all to make. If you have a power jointer and a circular saw, you could probably bust it out in a full weekend outside of waiting for glue-ups. I'm using all hand tools and learning how to properly surface and square lumber more or less on the fly, which has made the whole thing really challenging. Hand planing eight-foot boards sucks after a while. On the other hand, it's a lot of practice, and I feel like planing stuff for actual projects will seem like a breeze in comparison.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If it’s put together with bed bolt style construction (which I think it is IIRC?) you can crank the poo poo out of those to help tighten it all up too.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Another budget woodworking question for you guys; do you ever use any harbor freight tools for rough work/niche things you don't want a dedicated tool for? I have gotten things like guides/clamps and things from them but avoided much else, but I've had friends claim they carry some diamonds in the rough, so to speak.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Another budget woodworking question for you guys; do you ever use any harbor freight tools for rough work/niche things you don't want a dedicated tool for? I have gotten things like guides/clamps and things from them but avoided much else, but I've had friends claim they carry some diamonds in the rough, so to speak.

I use HF poo poo quite a bit but stay away from any overly complex or precision machines. I have a bench top sanders (1" and belt/disc combo) for hand sanding but would never use the fence or expect to sand to proper 45 degree angles. My compressor is like 12y olds and been through hell and back and still works like a charm. Same goes for a palm router but don't plan to make quick precise adjustments to the depth without tools and hand measuring.

Best thing to pick up from there is consumables like rubber gloves, sandpaper, towels, etc. I even go so far as to throw drill bits and my most common used router bits in that list. cheap enough that when they start to go dull or you break one you just go pick up another. Their clamps are alright for the cost but I only buy the 12in and under F clamps. Anything longer and they bow like crazy under pressure.

Best thing to do is get their email flyers and keep an eye out for 20 and 25% off coupons (plus all the free batteries). There is a store less than half a mile from my house so I go there way to often.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JEEVES420 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDWb0orSQ

I tell people that wood turners have a weird love/hate relationship with trees. With the amount of waste you produce you have to hate trees on some level :v:

it aint waste if that tree was just gonna rot on the ground or get mulched by the city anyway

(edit: some folk take out shavings away for other projects - I'd use it for stalls but unfortunately most wood shavings are bad / poisonous for horses)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 18, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Harbor freight batteries are poo poo in my experience. Short life and unstable voltage.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

If you have any interest in anything Harbor Freight, then you should know about https://www.hfqpdb.com

Search everything you buy, because it's probably got a coupon. Also they post the specialty brand-specific 20% off coupons (like Vulcan, the new welding stuff brand that's otherwise excluded, etc)

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think typically a hybrid has table mounted trunnions like a contractor saw, but the base looks like a cabinet saw.

A true cabinet saw has cabinet mounted trunnions.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Best thing to pick up from there is consumables

Everything from Harbor Freight is a consumable if you're brave enough. Some just last slightly longer than others.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Javid posted:

Harbor freight batteries are poo poo in my experience. Short life and unstable voltage.

Even with short lifespans I have a lifetime supply of TV remote batteries :colbert:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, they work for certain things like that. But I put some in a camera, and it would take one photo and the battery drain to work the motors would shut it off for 5 minutes. I thought the camera was hosed until I tried it with my existing rechargeable AAs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

moron izzard posted:

it aint waste if that tree was just gonna rot on the ground or get mulched by the city anyway

(edit: some folk take out shavings away for other projects - I'd use it for stalls but unfortunately most wood shavings are bad / poisonous for horses)

I use my shavings and saw dust in my compost. Unless it's walnut, because I want my plants to grow. The walnut plane shavings end up as mulch for my walking paths where I don't want things growing. It doesn't really help because it doesn't degrade very quickly. Basically, I don't do enough woodworking to have a problem with getting rid of the waste. Even the offcuts and scrap is usually a wood that's okay for using in the grill or smoker because I don't buy treated lumber.

Is it really most wood that's bad for horses? I thought it was the walnut again that was just bad for them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Finished up a box last night but I am not really feeling the hardware on it. Thinking about swapping it out for antique bronze to contrast the maple a bit more.

This was made from about 18in of 6/4 rough cut Maple and 12in of 6/4 rough cut Black Walnut. Milled and resawed to .5" of Maple and .25" pieces of Walnut then cut the miter joints and dado on the table saw. Laser cut inlay and filled with Resin and a pearl green pigment.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Finished up a box last night but I am not really feeling the hardware on it. Thinking about swapping it out for antique bronze to contrast the maple a bit more.

This was made from about 18in of 6/4 rough cut Maple and 12in of 6/4 rough cut Black Walnut. Milled and resawed to .5" of Maple and .25" pieces of Walnut then cut the miter joints and dado on the table saw. Laser cut inlay and filled with Resin and a pearl green pigment.

That looks great. That's kind of a cool catch-where did you find it? I'd agree with you darker would probably look better. You can get brass aging solution that does a pretty good job, but you have to get the lacquer off if it is lacquered brass which is a pain. I think a plain mortised lock with a key escutcheon set in would look good too, but you've already got screw holes in it now, so I dunno if I'd mess with that (or inlay some little walnut bits over where the screwholes are?).

As far as Harbor Freight, their dust collector is great for the price-we've got one hooked up to a 24" planer that's supposed to have 930 CFM and it keeps up surprisingly well. Changing bags is a pain, but that's true of most any dust collector with a bag. They make a perfectly decent pallet jack and pneumatic paint shaker if you need one of those too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

z0331 posted:

I'm a complete beginner - this is the first thing I've ever made out of wood as an adult. I bought his workbenches book for the step-by-step because I knew I'd never be able to do it just from the plans available on the internet.

If you use power tools, I would say the bench is not actually hard at all to make. If you have a power jointer and a circular saw, you could probably bust it out in a full weekend outside of waiting for glue-ups. I'm using all hand tools and learning how to properly surface and square lumber more or less on the fly, which has made the whole thing really challenging. Hand planing eight-foot boards sucks after a while. On the other hand, it's a lot of practice, and I feel like planing stuff for actual projects will seem like a breeze in comparison.

I did mine entirely by hand too except for drilling the bolt holes with a cheap cordless electric drill.The only thing I had built before was a saw bench and bent from the Minimalist Woodworker book. It was a lot of work and I was sore and blistered after it was all done.

You're right, it's made it a lot easier to use hand planes and surface out boards and poo poo as well as get some confidence using a hammer and chisel. It's pretty drat rewarding to finish a giant thing like that too.

JEEVES420 posted:

This is beautiful.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I dunno man, for only 1/2hp on that size of drill press I would pass. I would want at least 3/4hp, if not more. As another poster said, it's not much more than a generic asian clone you can get new today, but buying a new one would probably get you variable speed with the same hp

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I ended up just grabbing a bench top drill press off amazon for $75 and using the rest of the money to buy a bunch of poo poo I’ve been wanting/needing like a shelf pin jig and a zero clearance throat plate and a digital angle gauge

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I decided to make my kids' desk top out of 1/2" plywood. Can I rout a pencil groove in that or is attaching a ledge the only option?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I would say rout it. Most pencils are like 1/4" thick so depending on angle I bet a 1/8" deep groove would hold a pencil fast enough.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Am I wrong for just kind of.... hating the look of red oak?

Like every six months I get some and tell myself it's gonna be different this time and every time I'm still disappointed with it

I think it maybe reminds me of some lovely furniture my parents had in the 90s or something, maybe?

Also unrelated question but also related:

Making a picture frame. Got it glued up. Realized I did my rabbets backwards, so they're 1/4" inch deep but 3/8" wide

Given my acrylic and backer piece are both 1/8", this leaves me no room to put points or brads or staples or anything to hold everything in.
I guess I could go pick up a piece of 1/16" acrylic instead, but are there any other options for me to unfuck this?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 21, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I have the same feelings against it. It’s just super played out 90s decor. Throw in some polished brass light fixtures and you’re officially a time traveler.

Walnut is my current love. It’s not super expensive, is very easy to work, has nice tight pores, and a natural finish on it is to die for. Especially if you find some pieces that are even moderately figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You're not wrong, red oak is awful.

The right tree can look good, particularly rift or quartersawn, in a piece where it actually fits, but in general it is wildly over used and completely gross.

It's also rear end to work with and finish, so there's that.