Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol at the fountain pen with “Seig Zeon” etched on the cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What would be a good first MG that isn't an RX-78? Or I guess, if they're all around the same, what would be the ones to avoid?

anything made in the last 15 years without huge wings or some sort of transformation. Backpacks are okay but wings usually mean something that cant stand up and the wings will always be sagging.

Personally I like build strike full package, duel, blitz, buster, and most of the Gundam Wing good guy MGs

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 19, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MG Age 1 is really cool and also a sorta basic barebones in a good way.l

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Personally I like build strike full package, duel, blitz, buster, and most of the Gundam Wing good guy MGs

So that's Sandrock, Deathscythe and maybe Tallgeese depending on your interpretation of Zechs' motives :v:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TaurusOxford posted:

Sorry, I already bought five HG Leos just to send a message and we got nothing from it. I'm not gonna keep catering to Bandai's dumb bullshit.

I’ve bought 8 Leo’s so far, plus both P-Bandais. And I will buy some of these as well. “More Wing Grunts” is the correct response from Bandai.

Bring on all of the Wing suits that aren’t out in modern sets yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think there are four Maganac variants in the show that would need just one extra small sprue of parts each.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I want a HG Taurus. P-Bandai would probably be Noin's white one, of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EVGA Longoria posted:

I’ve bought 8 Leo’s so far, plus both P-Bandais. And I will buy some of these as well. “More Wing Grunts” is the correct response from Bandai.

Bring on all of the Wing suits that aren’t out in modern sets yet.

You can have those, I just want non-protagonist HGCE kits.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Saz Progress!

This bugger is taking a while, but I'm past all the tricky red and chrome bits.

e: different angle with LED on

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 19, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want an HGAC Aries. I want my jet pilot MS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Imagine a HG Pisces

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Booourns posted:

HG freaking Maganac

I knew I skipped the Leo for something better.

Cmon Bandai stop trolling me, Den'an Gei and Berga Dalas are right there!!!

Xaerael posted:

Saz Progress!

This looks wonderful. The off-red tones are fantastic

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Xaerael posted:

Saz Progress!

this is beautiful and makes me really wish i had a setup that i could paint fumey non acrylic stuff indoors

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Also just picked up an eclipse hp cs to celebrate getting a new job and god drat. I was kind of debating whether or not it was worth it, like if it'd just be wasted on me since I'm not very experienced and if I'd be able to even tell a difference from the Master G22, but even with my lack of experience it's an enormous upgrade. At first I thought hey what the hell this thing eats through paint like mad, then realized that unlike the G22 where even freshly cleaned I have to pull the trigger all the way back to get anything that isn't a spluttery mess, this thing actually regulates flow depending on how far back you pull it. To sum it up I'd say that before I bought an airbrush I had an idea in my head as to how it would work and feel, then I got the G22 and it wasn't really what I expected, and now the HP CS feels exactly how I initially imagined it would. I'd say if you have money to burn then get one the second you decide that you like airbrushing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What'd the benefit of ordering kits from Amazon Japan? Prime doesn't give free shipping or anything? Or does it work for US customers in a way it doesn't for the UK?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

What'd the benefit of ordering kits from Amazon Japan? Prime doesn't give free shipping or anything? Or does it work for US customers in a way it doesn't for the UK?

You get it a little faster and pay out the nose for shipping. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's literally the only way to get something.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well that's the Bigduck done.

Fun build but kinda frustrating at times. Parts of it feel really tight and stiff, probably a result of the kit not using any polycaps I guess. Plugging the torso into the waist took what felt like too much effort, I had to strip the legs and skirt from the waist to get a good enough grip to get it in.

Managed to break my first part unfortunately, the top plate of the torso is so loving thin at the back that it just came apart when I tried to take it off to adjust the part the arms connect to. Thankfully it was a pretty clean snap and it doesn't look too bad, was the perfect time to test out the Tamiya cement I brought a while back. Won't be able to take the torso apart any more, but I don't think I would want to any way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More deets on the S/EX-S 2.0.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Transformer thread has pics of the new Char Aznable suit and it'll surprise you...

The_Doctor posted:

That proper legit company doing the deluxe-size Bee OSKO has 2 more! Check out that box art! This is Miniso, a company with a Cartoon Network licence for We Bare Bears merch.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/kuroken01/status/1086512401946529792?s=21

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Veotax posted:

Well that's the Bigduck done.

Fun build but kinda frustrating at times. Parts of it feel really tight and stiff, probably a result of the kit not using any polycaps I guess. Plugging the torso into the waist took what felt like too much effort, I had to strip the legs and skirt from the waist to get a good enough grip to get it in.

The tolerances on RGs are also just a lot tighter compared to HGs. Don't be too afraid to try a light trim or sand if things aren't going in smoothly. It's a lot easier to tighten a loose joint than it is to fix a broken peg.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thanks for the advice, gave that peg a light sanding while I was doing panel lining and stickers and it's much easier to get that peg in and out.

Speaking of panel lining and stickers:

Feeling much better about the kit than I was last night, was probably just tired while finishing it off. Stickers went much better than the last kit that had those red text ones. There are a couple of the small ones that went a little wonky but the big ones went well and none of them have any noticeable dust this time!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Kinda want to try something like this, expect it's dangerous/expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hj19_B8jWk

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kinda want to try something like this, expect it's dangerous/expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hj19_B8jWk

compressed air explosions would work without the fire/burn risk. Out of focus fire effect is easily replicated with a screen as the background

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Working on the SN Wing and so far it's ok, i managed to crack the abdomen waist part. So I spent like an hour trying to make it better and cracking it more in the process. I've gotten it to a place where it's not good, but it's going to have to do. So if you do build this thing be careful with the abdomen parts. I've gotten them basically shaded black and carved some lines that resemble(poorly) the cracks on the opposite side. If this is the only issue I have with the kit I'll be fine, it looks bad now but with a topcoat I think it'll be ok.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got started on MGV2AB. I haven't finished it alk yet but I've done the base V2 and overhang pack and it's shaping up to be really good.

The shoulders and hips are almost completely different to the original construction. The shoulders have lost the wiggly bar that attaches to the shoulder armor, which is a good start, and the bicep peg is muh longer now so it doesn't pop out. The hips now have the ball joint pins angled upwards which allows for a wider spread and the two hip halves are now properly locked together with an extra part that slides in.

For weapons I can only talk about the overhang pack so far but it's pretty solid with big chunky pegs, nothing like the awful tiny ball joints on V-Dash for example. Unfortunately you only get enough parts to make one of the core fighters compatible with the pack but it isn't permanently fixed on. Also while it looks quite back-heavy, most of the weight is just over the shoulders so it has no trouble free standing.

There's an interesting bit in the Katoki interview about the overhang pack. It was apparently supposed to replace the minovsky drive wings on the core booster. When it got animated though, in one scene the pack was purged and the wings came back and it stuck in canon that way.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Man I was dreading doing the decals on this thing because I read so many places that it's so hard but it's way easier than stickers. With the stickers you have to put em on juuuust right and keep on lifting and reapplying and it sucks. With water slides you just haphazardly slide em on and nudge it riiight where you want it to go.

Main bit done, time for backpack and weapons and shields woo

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Love it. Makes me want to build mine.

My lucky box from Banzai Hobby came.

Only thing I have a double of is the Moon Gundam which I've already purchased. Pretty happy with what I got.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Puddin posted:

Love it. Makes me want to build mine.

My lucky box from Banzai Hobby came.

Only thing I have a double of is the Moon Gundam which I've already purchased. Pretty happy with what I got.

Nice! When did you order? I got the bigger one in the second round and tracking says it’s in a boat somewhere.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Ordered on the 3rd, paid for Sal shipping and ended up take about just over a week to get here.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my two main shelves, not all of my kits built so far over the past two years but most of them. I know, my posing needs work:

Working on the HG Full Armor Thunderbolt now since the new cat, Aika, is taking up my hobby/painting room. Fun little kit, but I wish the outer armor was a separate layer.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Puddin posted:

Ordered on the 3rd, paid for Sal shipping and ended up take about just over a week to get here.

Ah yeah, most of the shipping options for the big batch were expensive. Even the sea trip cost nearly $50, I think SAL was almost $100

Guess I’ll wait for my giant surprise bag a while longer.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

All right, MG Assault Buster finished and I have to say it's pretty fantastic, a real shame Bandai didn't see it fit for general release.

It's hard to get an idea from the pictures exactlyhow much stuff is hanging off this thing in full Assault and Buster gear. There's an awful lot of it though, and if you've built the V-Dash you'd probably expect each piece to pop off as you attached the next but it's actually surprisingly sturdy. The assault armor and the micro missile pods just clip onto the existing armor pieces in a way which gives them enough grip to stay attached in normal handling but still allows them to be taken off without too much manhandling. As for the micro missile pods themselves unfortunately the missile bays aren't articulated and reply on parts swapping. Luckily though, while they aren't quite hot swappable they're very easy to switch out when they're off the model.

The handheld equipment, the mega beam rifle and mega beam shield, do a reasonable job of staying in place. This is largely helped out by the fact that they both lock into the beam saber pods on the elbow. The strengthened upper arm joints mean there's no concerns about weight anymore though I would have appreciated some specialized hand parts as the handles are mostly kept in place by the angle of the hand and tension from the thumb.

Overall though, much better than what I was expecting. The frame improvements have really tightened up the base model and all the extras look great.

I have the full package version that uses alternate colors but once it's all together the contrast between them levels things out and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference without a regular V2 next to it. It does have the gold coated parts though and they are seriously spiffy looking. The assault armor pieces are almost all undergated though so it would be possible to do a quick lazy spray job on the frame.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Done.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Xaerael posted:

Done. Finished.

And so have I.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I disassembled the chest, took out the red parts and it fell apart more. I've got it setting with glue and cement. Once it drys im going to putty in the cracks and gaps, sand it, then prime and do some simple red paint over it and hope it looks decent. It's gotta look better than the horror show it is now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gorgeous.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

It's beautiful

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Amazing!