Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So am I totally in the minority here for thinking that a significant number of people who aren't directly caught up in climate change induced violence and migration could actually end up happier and more mentally well adjusted in a few decades?

I don't want to downplay the substantial amount of pain and suffering that the world will experience as entire social systems collapse and the surviving political structures turn into politically reactionary gated communities but on some level I can't help but wonder whether people won't end up mentally healthier in a post climate change world where a lot of contemporary consumerism becomes nonviable.

It depends on exactly how things play out of course but I think there are actually some real potential upsides in terms of mental health and life satisfaction that might come along with the destruction of the global economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Helsing posted:

So am I totally in the minority here for thinking that a significant number of people who aren't directly caught up in climate change induced violence and migration could actually end up happier and more mentally well adjusted in a few decades?

I don't want to downplay the substantial amount of pain and suffering that the world will experience as entire social systems collapse and the surviving political structures turn into politically reactionary gated communities but on some level I can't help but wonder whether people won't end up mentally healthier in a post climate change world where a lot of contemporary consumerism becomes nonviable.

It depends on exactly how things play out of course but I think there are actually some real potential upsides in terms of mental health and life satisfaction that might come along with the destruction of the global economy.

Please read up on the local effects of the collapse of the USSR.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
:staredog: at the last few pages. Whew.

LOL that "being an rear end in a top hat I personally disagree with as a mod" eats a 30 day probation on SA of all places now, though. What a world we live in. :discourse:

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 21, 2022

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Conspiratiorist posted:

Please read up on the local effects of the collapse of the USSR.

Please read up on the first sentence of the post you quoted.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I keep seeing things about looking local and learning about your environment and what grows/lives there to handle society collapsing, and I think to myself "are you sure that there's going to be a recognizable ecosystem at 3C+ from now?" I can't help but feel that it's terribly optimistic to believe that there's going to be a way to handle 3C+ temperature increases in a fashion that involves decentralizing, detechnologizing and going back to the land, given the massive extinctions (including very fundamental bits of the food chain) that are going to be happening. The societies that existed as few as a couple hundred years ago were much more tied to exploiting wild parts of the planet that are looking like they flat out won't exist when the time comes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Helsing posted:

Please read up on the first sentence of the post you quoted.

I did and the answer is yes you're in the minority, hence my response.

People who aren't directly involved in violence and migration are still going to feel the effects of a global logistic chains collapse, various state functions fall apart as they become unsustainable, and suffer through a permanent economic depression. What do you think are the positive upsides of this? What historical analogues do you have to back them?

Complications posted:

I keep seeing things about looking local and learning about your environment and what grows/lives there to handle society collapsing, and I think to myself "are you sure that there's going to be a recognizable ecosystem at 3C+ from now?" I can't help but feel that it's terribly optimistic to believe that there's going to be a way to handle 3C+ temperature increases in a fashion that involves decentralizing, detechnologizing and going back to the land, given the massive extinctions (including very fundamental bits of the food chain) that are going to be happening. The societies that existed as few as a couple hundred years ago were much more tied to exploiting wild parts of the planet that are looking like they flat out won't exist when the time comes.

Oh, no, "going back to the land" and "detechnologizing" is the opposite of a solution. You're correct, we can't - the ecosystem just won't be there to sustain that lifestyle.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Jim Bendell (the guy who wrote that deep adaptation article which galvanized a lot of people last year) wrote a good thing a couple weeks back which it seems many of you would appreciate and seems thread-appropriate today:

Anyways the whole article is really good and you should probably read it, very thought provoking and not entirely soul crushing.

Aside from those afflicted with the most terminal brokebrainedness, I think we all cycle through those varieties of hope from time to time.

I do think that surviving and adapting to climate change will require that those of us who are left form better societies than what we have now--more cooperative, less wasteful, and not so disposable.

quote:

LOL that "being an rear end in a top hat I personally disagree with as a mod" eats a 30 day probation on SA of all places now, though. What a world we live in. :discourse:

This is pretty not good. Yeah, what?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Helsing posted:

The amount of suffering fixed by infectious disease control and the green revolution is not something that is going to be a net positive to reverse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hey, if we're lucky, maybe bacteriophage treatments will mature enough over the next two decades that we won't be having to deal with superbugs as social security nets collapse.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm currently reading a book called drawdown, which shows the 100 most effective methods of reducing ghg emissions and transforming society into something that can reverse global warming (I can already mentally see certain posters reaction to that statement) . I'm not far in but it seems to be trying for the more hopeful side of things and has a few hundred scientists and experts being it supplying the underlying information and modeling. I'm gonna report on it here when I'm done, did anybody else read it by chance?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sogol posted:

Survival of the fittest is not exactly a real thing. It relies on assuming natural selection functions as a variable, implying the individual organism as the unit of analysis and competition as the context for growth and development. Darwin never mentions it. If you assume for instance that selection is a constant, trait selection becomes a co-production of the entire niche. Attention is on and meaning derived from the understanding of the collaborative action of the niche in this case. It is a very different way of seeing things and leads to very different actions, interventions and conclusions. The application of selection as a variable and competition as the means for growth and development underpins the dominant paradigm of capitalism and seems self evident to most moderns in the industrialized world.

I went to a pretty cool talk about trees and fungi and inter-species cooperation, feeding each other when they need or transferring resources to others if you're dying. Suzanne Simard I think it was.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I forced a bot to read over 1000 hours of systems theory texts and asked it to write a post. Here is the first post.

Haha

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

lmao it owns

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

If the mods want to tone-police I guess we can't stop them, but that probation is excessive, and telling Rime not to come back to the thread is just stupid. Censoring or excluding specific posters is far more discouraging to participation than anything Rime has posted.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wait it was 30 days what the gently caress

He got painfully pedantic on the yellow vests discussion but goddamn.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's excessive and to tell him not to come back is pretty chilling.

::dons yellow vest::

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ubachung posted:

If the mods want to tone-police I guess we can't stop them, but that probation is excessive, and telling Rime not to come back to the thread is just stupid. Censoring or excluding specific posters is far more discouraging to participation than anything Rime has posted.

:same:

Throw him a sixer or a day or two, but 30 days and a "gently caress off" is over the top.

He's got valid points, even if he is bleak as gently caress about it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Jim Bendell (the guy who wrote that deep adaptation article which galvanized a lot of people last year) wrote a good thing a couple weeks back which it seems many of you would appreciate and seems thread-appropriate today:

Hope and Vision in the Face of Collapse – The 4th R of Deep Adaptation

Anyways the whole article is really good and you should probably read it, very thought provoking and not entirely soul crushing.

is this guy considered reputable? there isn't a lot of information on him online except that he is (or was) big into crypto which is a bit of a red flag. although i'm sure he would recognize its environmental impacts. I'm reading his Deep Adaptation paper and it's very much inline with what I believe personally. Also his paper was apparently not accepted for publication.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

He's got valid points, even if he is bleak as gently caress about it.

He uses truth bombs to justify posting some pretty abhorrent poo poo. I agree banning from the thread is a little harsh, but as to not derail let's post about that in QCS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880128

Edit for content
Yes it seems we are full steam ahead towards the iceberg on this titanic of industry. Accepting that reality is important. But instead of making plans to fight over flotsam to float on (Rime's post alludes to this), we can make plans to build an arc, or any number of more compationate options.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 21, 2019

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

In lieu of hope I am driven to stay alive by empathy for people who are worse off than me, a sense of duty to "make the world a better place" by the time I die than when I was born and a desire to learn stuff. So even though we are doomed I try to help people be less ignorant and maybe help influence decisions made by people with power that impact our future.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I still think if at the end of the day your argument for action on climate change is no different than BP's or Shell's or to call for even less response, its probably a bad plan.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Your problem, Rime, is not that you do not understand the issue or that you are not intelligent as such, your problem is that you're a huge rear end in a top hat who drives everyone else out of this thread. Don't come back when your probation is over. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.
this is horseshit. he sourced the hell out of his points, you're just shooting the messenger.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's appropriate to be angry about climate change and the lot we've drawn. I liked his posts.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm currently reading a book called drawdown, which shows the 100 most effective methods of reducing ghg emissions and transforming society into something that can reverse global warming (I can already mentally see certain posters reaction to that statement) . I'm not far in but it seems to be trying for the more hopeful side of things and has a few hundred scientists and experts being it supplying the underlying information and modeling. I'm gonna report on it here when I'm done, did anybody else read it by chance?

I haven't read the book but i've seen the ted talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vjGSiRGKY

and the website: https://www.drawdown.org/

imho the talk is very pro-watch

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

this is horseshit. he sourced the hell out of his points, you're just shooting the messenger.

I think you missed a "not" in your interpretation. It says he does know but is an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StabbinHobo posted:

Rime has been warned and probated so many times for the same poo poo in every iteration of Climate Change thread that to imply this wasn't warranted indicates a density so profound that it could be used for a new generation of fission reactors.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Good to see that mods can throw around ad homs as they please, veiled or not. It really makes me respect you and the decision you're defending. :jerkbag:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I usually just lurk, but telling Rime to stay out is wrong.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Rime has been warned and probated so many times for the same poo poo in every iteration of Climate Change thread that to imply this wasn't warranted indicates a density so profound that it could be used for a new generation of fission reactors.

Fair. The climate's fixed. What does he have to be so dour about?

StabbinHobo posted:

I haven't read the book but i've seen the ted talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vjGSiRGKY

and the website: https://www.drawdown.org/

imho the talk is very pro-watch

Watched the talk, browsed the site a bit. They're good to refill your hope stores.

Where I continually get tripped up is how to reorient society around suggestions like these. I'm individually working on or at the very least giving money to the top 20 or so of these Drawdown suggestions, as well as others further down their list, but it all seems pretty pointless if the elected branches of my government are hostile to anthropogenic climate change as a concept.

I do not even want to hazard a guess at how many people are employed full-time to make sure that this remains the case.

The best case scenario in the USA is that there's a sea change (ha) in a couple of years where better climate policy can start to be negotiated up to whatever limit Joe Manchin is comfortable with.

This is not brokebrainsedness. I just don't see a way to overcome the practical hurdles of the frankly undemocratic political system that rules the world's second-largest carbon emitter.

e: Oh, cool, that QQCS thread was closed already. Good to see unquestionable, rigid decorum enforcement in the mass extinction thread.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 21, 2019

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
It’s good to be angry about climate change and Rime has both anger and sources for it, and is doing things in regard to it, Arkane posted tons of dumbass poo poo despite the warning of no climate deniers of previous threads

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, but the difference was that Arkane was way more restrained as he peddled nonsense to muddy the waters on climate change.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The difference is seeing Arkane shouted down fills people with smug satisfaction, but shouting Rime down amounts to "please stop being right, I don't like you and it hurts my feelings".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Actually I think it is wrong to tell people to pollute as much as they want because it doesn't matter. That's not correct.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
On an individual level it's irrelevant and you're incorrect if you think you are, though. He was right, you're still having a fairly hefty impact.

It's not a matter of "gently caress you" it's a matter of know you're not actually helping.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Maybe true. But there’s also been a lot of “But why can’t someone post things that make me feeeel gooood?” posts and honestly those are way more annoying. Probating Rime for his casual racism and personal attacks make sense, but probating him for sources and accurate ‘doomsaying’ doesn’t, it’s up there with the BS CSPAM bans, or are you suggesting that evilweasel is also a lovely poster? I’d take it to QCS but the D&D threads just get locked, cause lol of course they do.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

squirrelzipper posted:

Probating Rime for his casual racism and personal attacks make sense, but probating him for sources and accurate ‘doomsaying’ doesn’t
This is where I am. Saying "The D&D mods have totally failed to permaban Rime for being a racist rear end in a top hat, therefore we picked a pretty inoffensive post to go to war over to cover our total failure to deal with this problem earlier" is fine. The mods aren't paid, I'm not expecting them to be on top of everything. Complaining that Rime's posts are accurate and also too depressing and aggressive, and therefore the racist rear end in a top hat needs to be banned from a specific thread, but is welcome anywhere else is bizarre.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Gamerofthegame posted:

On an individual level it's irrelevant and you're incorrect if you think you are, though. He was right, you're still having a fairly hefty impact.

It's not a matter of "gently caress you" it's a matter of know you're not actually helping.

I'd say making sure people understand the gravity of a situation is more helpful than ignoring it or being unaware of it, but that's just me

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Insanite posted:

Where I continually get tripped up is how to reorient society around suggestions like these.

Activists. Activists everywhere. Saturate the landscape. Start with local government.

It's true what people say about the importance of local government. My buddy in county government has impressive anecdotes. He also makes a lot of small talk about code, policy, enforcement, long-term planning, etc.

Point is, at least in his county, county-government decides what the county looks like. If you want to fix the world, activists targeting local government will be necessary. Power's distributed across the entire system. Activism must be distributed across the entire system.

And activists minding their own backyards is some 'Propaganda of the Deed' poo poo. It can help broader efforts to snowball. It can build a basal infrastructure to support larger enterprises. Lots of angles. Any work anywhere is worthwhile.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 21, 2019

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Your problem, Rime, is not that you do not understand the issue or that you are not intelligent as such, your problem is that you're a huge rear end in a top hat who drives everyone else out of this thread. Don't come back when your probation is over. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.
What actually drives me away from the thread is knowing that posts outside the approved lines of optimistic local action get repercussions like this. It’s a great metaphor for our real-world situation though :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What drives me away is all the misanthropic losers justifying their empty lives with the "possible" end of human civilization.