Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm getting married in a few days and wanted to create something that combined the fact that he's a drummer, loves Sabaton and enjoys getting drunk and watching stupid videos on Youtube.

Bought this and got it shotblasted

Made it black

Then it went yellow

Then blue

And done!

It went wrong the first attempt as I didn't leave the yellow long enough to harden before applying the masking tape so it all tore off exposing the black.
Second time I was impatient and didn't leave the blue as long as I could which is why the edges seem a bit rough in some bits but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

That’s a good idea. A furring strip can just be any strip of wood yeah? I can already see the screens tearing in a few places around the staples so the extra support would be good. The cats haven’t decided to try ploughing their way through the screens but I reckon the could if they really wanted to...

Yeah, it technically can be any piece of wood, but furring strips is a specific size/type of wood that you can buy at the big box stores that's cheap, and an appropriate size.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Dagen H posted:

Remember that electrolysis is line-of-sight, position your anodes and workpiece accordingly. It may take several sessions for a thorough result.

Watching Youtube videos and whatnot, there seems to be a wide disparity of opinion on what amperage to use, so I'm also eager to hear the input of others.

One of the reasons it varies heavily is because it's dependent on surface area.

Of course, people can't agree on amps per area either.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

freelop posted:

Second time I was impatient and didn't leave the blue as long as I could which is why the edges seem a bit rough in some bits but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I don’t think it takes away from it one bit. I love simply repainting stuff and it’s amazing sometimes just how cool it can make things. Good job man. That’s something you treasure and remember the person who gave it to you each time you look at it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aurium posted:

One of the reasons it varies heavily is because it's dependent on surface area.

One of the coolest setups I've seen involves a flexible graphite sheet as the anode. Lots of surface area and the rust just wipes off of it.

I had no luck tracking it down in small quantities a few year back when I was doing that project.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Aurium posted:

Right, that's exactly my hangup.

Haven't seen a definitive formula for solution concentration either.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you for the tips, I'll be giving them a try next weekend. Living in a condo and not having a working area of my own means having to do it at a local makerspace on (some) weekends, so it's... slow going. :negative:

This is the first piece before I started on it:

Guess the thing and win absolutely nothing!

Which leads me to a question: what do you guys use when suspending your pieces in the bath? I can't find non-coated, non-stainless, non-galvanized steel wire in stores, so I ended up getting some rebar baskets and cutting them up. The result works but it's freaking difficult to bend into shape and work with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

Guess the thing and win absolutely nothing!

Which leads me to a question: what do you guys use when suspending your pieces in the bath? I can't find non-coated, non-stainless, non-galvanized steel wire in stores, so I ended up getting some rebar baskets and cutting them up. The result works but it's freaking difficult to bend into shape and work with.

Looks like a press.

And for wire I stripped some leftover pieces of 12-2 romex. Was I supposed to use steel for some reason? Because the entire lathe I restored didn't seem to notice.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Boo, you got it right off the bat. It is indeed a bookbinding press.

Romex is just copper inside, right? Because it's my understanding that copper will react during electrolysis and contaminate your solution, and I originally wanted to have multiple rounds of the process without having to change it out. That's why I tried getting the least reactive cathode connection I could think of, meaning some plain steel.

That copper reaction might be a "12 hours later at 30 amps" kind of thing though, I really don't know.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
If water is getting through the insulation of the romex, you got bigger problems than failed electrolysis

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You have to strip the insulation to make the connection to your work piece though, and that part is submerged.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The felting thread feel into the archives so:

First needle felting thing I've ever Made.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

Romex is just copper inside, right?

Yeah, it's copper. And I think I put a good 30+ hours on each bucket of solution. I just didn't notice any problem at all.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cakesmith handyman posted:

A) That's awesome. Birdie :3:

B) I hope you did this at work during your pointless night shift

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it's copper. And I think I put a good 30+ hours on each bucket of solution. I just didn't notice any problem at all.

I'm thinking I ought to do the same.

Awesome!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dagen H posted:

A) That's awesome. Birdie :3:

B) I hope you did this at work during your pointless night shift

Thank you. I didn't, but I've got 4 more shifts, let's see what I can get away with.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Thank you. I didn't, but I've got 4 more shifts, let's see what I can get away with.

A small wizard hat for the birb

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

it's adorable!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Was looking at some old posts and found one detailing a bunch of issues in the house we bought in 2016. This one in particular stood out, because I finally took care of it.

Before:

I don't even fuckin' know. And the strike on the door was still juuuuust almost too low to drop in there. How do you miss that bad, that many times. They had to replace the top screw with a 2" one because it was in air behind the plate.

Anyhow, after:

The mortise isn't perfect as I was trying to match the radius with a flat chisel, but considering what I was working with and how much reconstructive work had to happen, I'm extremely happy with it.

Progress pics:

What I found behind the strike plate:

Taking it back to square one. If this didn't work, I was looking at cutting out a bit if the jamb and trying to fill it with a new block of wood. I really didn't want to go down that path.

Filled and marked for the new strike plate and mortise:

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, here's the product I used, JB Weld for wood. It's fantastic and was extremely easy to work with. I no longer dread similar fixes in the future.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bad Munki posted:

If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, here's the product I used, JB Weld for wood. It's fantastic and was extremely easy to work with. I no longer dread similar fixes in the future.

I didn't even know this existed, so thanks for posting it, and I appreciate your endorsement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I never saw it at Lowe’s or Home Depot, I ran across it at Menard’s, but I think you can get it on Amazon.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
If you use the epoxy putty, it is good to use a brush on hardener on the wood before applying it. It helps create a stronger substrate so the putty doesn't pull away the top. For interior/furniture type repairs not as big a deal but exterior, where there could be weathered/rotted wood underneath it really helps.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bad Munki posted:

The mortise isn't perfect as I was trying to match the radius with a flat chisel

At first I nodded in solidarity, but then I remembered I have a set of hollow punches. :doh:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 30, 2019

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Bad Munki posted:

A locksmith once turned me on to this stuff for the exact same purpose: http://www.waterputty.com/

Packaged and priced like it's just out of the 1930s, the stuff works great for painted wood repairs.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Before:

I don't even fuckin' know. And the strike on the door was still juuuuust almost too low to drop in there.

Oh god. This brought back memories of my old house. The battered and too low too strike plate just barely covered up an absolute mess behind, like they tried to create a hole by firing bullets into the wood..

Great job on the fix by the way!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We bought a new house recently. This has entailed lots of small projects of course, but I finally finished up the details for this one.

This closet is off of the dining room/kitchen open area. It was dark. I did the following:

- added an outlet on the inside of the closet
- built a shelf on one side for a printer/charging station
- mounted the handheld dyson for charging
- installed LED lighting in the whole closet
- ran Ethernet from the router so I can patch in the poe access point. It’s pretty much center of the house where it’s mounted, I get good signal everywhere.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Holy poo poo your crevice tool actually stays on your upright Dyson?
I had to banish mine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Seeing a WAP stashed in closet makes me cringe a bit, but I tend to forget ubiquiti stuff can basically blanket most residential without much trouble.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Made a new ring with a stainless steel inner band this time. Also got a new camera as my Pixel just wasn't cutting it for good macro shots.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

JEEVES420 posted:

Made a new ring with a stainless steel inner band this time. Also got a new camera as my Pixel just wasn't cutting it for good macro shots.

Can you link me the resin that you buy? I assume you vacuum cure it to get the bubbles out, correct? I have a project coming up that I want to make a similar type block that you made the rings from.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

iForge posted:

Can you link me the resin that you buy? I assume you vacuum cure it to get the bubbles out, correct? I have a project coming up that I want to make a similar type block that you made the rings from.

I use Alumilite resin and use a pressure chamber to cast it. You can use a vacuum chamber but I only ever use that for really porous material that could hide air pockets or to stabilize wood.

https://www.alumilite.com/products/casting-resins/rigid/alumilite-clear-slow

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been learning to use a potter's wheel. Today I learned an important lesson: just because you have a nice bowl on your wheel doesn't mean it'll still be there when you get back from washing your tools.

It's a neat shape, I just have no idea what I'd use it for.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Call it “Introspective Self-Dialog” or “Wednesday” or something and sell it at a gallery. I like it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sleepy cowboy hat

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Did someone else do that while you were otherwise occupied or does pottery stuff do strange things I don't understand while drying?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Did someone else do that while you were otherwise occupied or does pottery stuff do strange things I don't understand while drying?

When you're working on the potter's wheel, the clay is nearly saturated with water and has very little strength to speak of. I made the walls of the bowl way too thin -- or alternately, I made the slope of the walls much too shallow. Either way there was too much cantilevering and the clay couldn't support it. It collapsed under its own weight over the course of a couple of minutes.

We'll see what it looks like once it's dry; I don't think I'll be able to move it without ruining the shape until it's pretty much hardened. But I think the "treat it as an art piece" approach is probably the one with the most legs.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But I think the "treat it as an art piece" approach is probably the one with the most legs.

I don't know, I see a fancy vegetable tray.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been busy with life, kids, kidney stones, work, etc.

Anyway, here's my latest build, I call it a weatherclock. It's a nixie clock in a machined aluminum case, which I had made by a buddy in Dallas. It has neopixel backlights that display outside weather conditions based on your location. Right now it's cold outside, so the lights are blue.

If it were a nice 70 degrees outside, they'd be green. If it were hot, they'd be red. If it rains, they flash blue, if it snows, they flash white.

Customer wanted lil feet on this one, sort of 60's era, so these feet are 3d printed off a form 2 printer.

Here I am testing the custom PCB I had made to support the tubes and the neopixel backlights. That PCB eliminates all the hand wiring I used to have to do for the multiplexing wiring harness, which was tedious and time consuming.

It's been a fun project, and hopefully I get to make a bunch more of these.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

New lathe new ring. I was cleaning up the tool marks on the outside when I looked again and thought they work with the chaotic nature of the Meteorite shavings. They are smooth to the touch and are only noticeable when they catch the light. I don't know if polished works or if I should of just gone with a brushed stainless steel look.

There were some interest in the resin ring by a few of you so...shameful plug.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I've always wanted to build a cnc machine, and lately I've been playing around with some concrete.

I had a concrete mix that I was happy with, but then I added way way way too many glass fibers, and tried out some different anchoring options.

1) Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete is tough as poo poo. I went nuts on the corner of it with a hammer and nearly worked up a sweat getting a few little chunks off

2) Coupling nuts in the concrete work just fine, I did a stress test and ended up stripping the heads completely off of 2 of the bolts with my impact gun

3)Concrete is cool

4) I think this is a totally viable option for making a very heavy, very rigid cnc frame "on the cheap"