Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

We buy them non-running and ratty, and then pour money into them with equal parts denial and sunk-ship fallacy. :shepspends:

Body work is free if you do it yourself right :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Plenty of opportunity for body work in the hospital after your 1991 Corolla mangles you in a crash you'd walk away from in a car made this decade.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Only if you wear your seatbelt.

Can't get mangled in a car if you're thrown free :smug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Adiabatic posted:

Only if you wear your seatbelt.

Can't get mangled in a car if you're thrown free :smug:

This, but unironically.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Guinness posted:

Plenty of opportunity for body work in the hospital after your 1991 Corolla mangles you in a crash you'd walk away from in a car made this decade.

poor guy, if he'd only bought a 2019 Camry instead of a rickety old 2014 that extra 4mm of styrene they put in the bumper might've saved him

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sirotan posted:

"Michigan rust" hasn't been a thing for at least a couple decades at this point. Wash your car routinely in the winter and you'll be fine.

As an expat from New England the roads here in Michigan are godawful and you’ll certainly burn suspension parts faster.

Ask me about spending a thousand dollars on two new tires and a new wheel for my ragingly BWM BMW last week!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NumbersMatching320 posted:

poor guy, if he'd only bought a 2019 Camry instead of a rickety old 2014 that extra 4mm of styrene they put in the bumper might've saved him

The 2019 Camry crashes significantly better than the 2014 especially in small overlap

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

A different mode of transportation...

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1087787089897447424?s=19

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
BWM Thread: Of Horses and Horsepower

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Hey, BWM AI questions thread: I want to buy a Miata. It would replace my 20 year old Elantra, which is mainly used for short commutes down the 9. Questions:

- Should I be considering any different cars? I do not want anything flashy, just something fun to drive on curvy roads and along the coast.
- What years are best for either fun, reliability, or value?
- Am I crazy to consider soft tops? It's California and I want to look up at the redwoods, dammit. My husband says soft tops are too loud but I say just turn the music up.

TIA for your carefully considered responses, I love you

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is one of the rare cases where I can legitimately say.... buy a S2000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you don’t already have a strong opinion the Miata is a way better value than the s2k

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

I know that americans tend to have more kids than Euros but four is probably on the unusual end.

Thanatosian posted:

It's regional. In Utah, it's fantastically common. I'm in Seattle; seeing anyone with kids at all is uncommon, and more than a couple definitely stands out.

Europeans confusing "The United States" with a more cohesive thing like (a/some) country(s) in Europe and not understanding that the landmass of all of those countries are about the same as the entire US.

Come on man.....I have to say this to non-passport-holding people from the middle of the US a lot more, but get out there and experience more before you form unilateral opinions.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Aren't S2000 $20k bux now? I suggest you buy a 1991 ZR1 corvette with 18k miles for the same money. So what if it is a unicorn that no parts are available for. Just point at the engine and say 32 valves chumps.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Aren't S2000 $20k bux now?

Only on BaT

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don’t already have a strong opinion the Miata is a way better value than the s2k

True, the ND1s are cheap as gently caress with the release of the ND2, which finally rivals the S2000 stock for stock

moana
Jun 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hmm, on the one hand the miatas for sale near me are way cheaper. On the other hand, there is an s2k that is yellow and I have always wanted a car that looks like a bumblebee. This is a hard decision, gonna have to sleep on it.

Elephanthead posted:

Aren't S2000 $20k bux now? I suggest you buy a 1991 ZR1 corvette with 18k miles for the same money.
If I wanted an old flashy car to die in I would get a datsun 240z

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't drive them back to back if you think you want to save the money and get a Miata, just sayin

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Being a horse trainer, GWM?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Adiabatic posted:

We buy them non-running and ratty, and then pour money into them with equal parts denial and sunk-ship fallacy. :shepspends:

Truer words have not been written. Come join me in my thread for a live rendition of the above as I resurrect a Porsche Cayenne I purchased for $1.5k.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Bajaha posted:

Truer words have not been written. Come join me in my thread for a live rendition of the above as I resurrect a Porsche Cayenne I purchased for $1.5k.

I scrolled the first and last two pages, easy :five:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Being a horse trainer, GWM?
Horse trainer, GWM
Horse owner, BWM

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Slugworth posted:

Horse trainer, GWM
Horse owner, BWM

Horse psychologist, GreatWM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Person who sells homeopathic remedies for horses, BestWM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
AI is a nice stop, on the way to PI to discuss the main event.

:horsedaddy:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Buy a chrysler 300, You can enjoy the sheer luxury as you get towed to the dealer because the 9 speed transmission fails (again) because they are all time bombs :v:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Hoodwinker posted:

If you live in a metropolitan area with good public transit, you can live reasonably affordably while still living well within city limits. I'd hazard it's probably cost saving as long as you also work in the city.

Sure, as long as you're willing to forgo any hobbies or pets which would require more than minimal living space (depending on your income level and housing prices in your specific city).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's always tradeoffs like that, though.

A house in the suburbs with a white picket fence gives you space for that stuff, but you're unlikely to be able to, say, be able to quickly walk to the store to pick up milk. You might not be able to walk to any stores at all, if you're in a really pedestrian unfriendly suburb. And you're likely to spend a lot of your day stuck in traffic, especially if you're commuting into the city.

Is it better or worse than living in an apartment in the middle of the city? That depends on your own preferences and needs.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

TraderStav posted:

AI is a nice stop, on the way to PI to discuss the mane event.

:horsedaddy:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Guinness posted:

in a car made this decade.

That's going to be expensive, BWM advice next year. :jail2:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

moana posted:

Hey, BWM AI questions thread: I want to buy a Miata. It would replace my 20 year old Elantra, which is mainly used for short commutes down the 9. Questions:

- Should I be considering any different cars? I do not want anything flashy, just something fun to drive on curvy roads and along the coast.
- What years are best for either fun, reliability, or value?
- Am I crazy to consider soft tops? It's California and I want to look up at the redwoods, dammit. My husband says soft tops are too loud but I say just turn the music up.

TIA for your carefully considered responses, I love you

How have your questions not been addressed already?

1: when looking at any car ,ask yourself “Is this a Miata?” The answer should always be yes.
2: when trying to determine longevity and reliability, ask yourself “Is this a Miata?” The answer should always be yes. And so the question is now answered.
3: soft tops are great, but skin cancer is bad, mmmmkay? Consider a hard top, or maybe a Miata RF.

There are no wrong answers, just bad questions.

Please do not look in my garage, but if you do, note that my custom stretch Miata with hard top and sliding doors conveniently seats 8. The Honda badge is just there to screw with the boy racers. Vtech, yo!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

:horse::horse::horse:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Residency Evil posted:

Sorry guys, I couldn't hear you. This is AI and I'm looking at beater Mercedes wagons.

Far be it from me to stop you, but if you're looking for a wagon, there's Volvos out there...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

1: when looking at any car ,ask yourself “Is this a Miata?” The answer should always be yes.
2: when trying to determine longevity and reliability, ask yourself “Is this a Miata?” The answer should always be yes. And so the question is now answered.
3: soft tops are great, but skin cancer is bad, mmmmkay? Consider a hard top, or maybe a Miata RF.

Please do not look in my garage, but if you do, note that my custom stretch Miata with hard top and sliding doors conveniently seats 8. The Honda badge is just there to screw with the boy racers. Vtech, yo!
Thank God someone is finally being helpful itt

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Hat, sun glasses, and broad spectrum sunscreen exist for a reason. I love the look of horror on my dermatologists face when I tell her I drove a convertible to see her.

one day I will be putting her kids through private school

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Square Peg posted:

That said, if it makes sense to get a car for you then I'd agree with SiGmA_X, a used BEV or PHEV is the way to go for GWM newer cars. Used Chevy Volts are nice and affordable and will get you to work and back without sipping a drop of gas (unless it's cold). Though I'd like to hear AI's opinion of Volts for reliability/maintenance.
I love my parents 2018 Volt. Drives nice, its comfortable for 300mi and in stop and go (the ACC is very good), panel gaps are good. A 2017 may be in my future. (Or a 2019 EV...)

The Volt had a funky front suspension issue at about 20k-mi, makes noise when backing up on off camber inclines. GM replaced something and its fixed - my parents weren't precisely sure what.. I've yet to see the invoice.

Devian666 posted:

Thread title: 2019 BMW: should I buy one?
Upvote.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

This post is perfect. I just replaced every "Miata" with "e36" - but I am left wondering what an e36 RF is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Say what you will but dodges keep loving going. Only reason I got rid of the piece of poo poo neon was because it kept eating brake cylinders and I didn't want to change the clutch. Style? Lol gently caress that. Rust? The whole frame was rust. Thing just kept ticking though. Co-worker has a 96 Plymouth neon that's still on the road. Dodge makes poo poo cars but they keep chugging out of spite. Till they catch on fire like the one my dad had.

That was pre-Fiat Dodge. Now they're lovely -and- unreliable.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 23, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Buy a chrysler 300, You can enjoy the sheer luxury as you get towed to the dealer because the 9 speed transmission fails (again) because they are all time bombs :v:

The 300 is one of the only good FCA products. It has the ZF 8HP which is basically the best high output transmission you can buy. I think you’re thinking of the 200 and the various lovely jeeplets.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

moana posted:

Thank God someone is finally being helpful itt

MIATA literally stands for Miata Is Always The Answer where is your new miata post pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I developed a burning hatred of Miatas in college because parking was limited and every time I thought I was about to luck out, BAM, a Miata was hiding beside a larger car.