Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mekchu posted:

That's great and all but SAGK rash guards when?

Fake edit - jk, cool to hear.

not jk from this poster. take my money bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

We had a 40 minute warmup aka cardio session before class today... One of our purple belts who I dominate decided to neck crank me and I popped my knee. Good times.

I hate these so much. signed, the guy that's out of breath from the exertion of bowing into the mat

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wangsbig posted:

I hate these so much. signed, the guy that's out of breath from the exertion of bowing into the mat

I am split between how much I hate long super cardio workouts and how good I feel as I slowly die less everytime I do them

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I believe theres actually a technique to running/sprints, but I dont know them and running on mats sucks. Thats my excuse for not liking bjj cardio

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mekchu posted:

SAGK rash guards when?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Defenestrategy posted:

I believe theres actually a technique to running/sprints, but I dont know them and running on mats sucks. Thats my excuse for not liking bjj cardio

the technique is to show up late and stay in the lockerroom until they stop doing sprints

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Get in shape on your own time. I pay for an hour of BJJ instruction.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Get in shape on your own time.

I categorically will not

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

I categorically will not

:mad:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Get in shape on your own time. I pay for an hour of BJJ instruction.

my instructor was talking today about how some schools have hard class times and I was surprised

Technically our classes go an hour but I usually will spend an extra hour there just rolling after time is up

Like, usually the last guy is out the door around 9 even though classes end at 8

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think people are more complaining about the warm up taking up the drill time, not the roll time. Our clases last one hour, but that's warm up, drill, and then a round or two of rolling that's usually focused somewhat on the drill. Then class "ends" and everyone stays to roll as long as they want.

The teacher we have that does two or three times the warm up consequently has to do less or faster drilling/teaching moves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think people are more complaining about the warm up taking up the drill time, not the roll time. Our clases last one hour, but that's warm up, drill, and then a round or two of rolling that's usually focused somewhat on the drill. Then class "ends" and everyone stays to roll as long as they want.

The teacher we have that does two or three times the warm up consequently has to do less or faster drilling/teaching moves.

eh, for us it doesn't really matter

the instructor only stops drilling when everyone is just sitting around

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my instructor was talking today about how some schools have hard class times and I was surprised

Technically our classes go an hour but I usually will spend an extra hour there just rolling after time is up

Like, usually the last guy is out the door around 9 even though classes end at 8

Yeah, that's totally cool and fine.

However, I have a very busy schedule. When I come in for that scheduled hour, it's very valuable to me because I don't have all that time to just hang out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our classes are typically ~30 minute warmup, which includes simple repetitive drills that help technique (e.g. pummelling), ~30 minute technique, then king-of-the-mat positional drilling for 15 minutes or so, then open rolls.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Got my first leg lock submission last night! Had dude in my full guard, he stood up, I went shin to shin and corkscrewed up into single X.

Did the rotation sweep into a straight ankle, got a tap in about two seconds.

Brothers, I’ve seen the light. Hail (baby white belt straight ankle) satan!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:hai:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Got my first leg lock submission last night! Had dude in my full guard, he stood up, I went shin to shin and corkscrewed up into single X.

Did the rotation sweep into a straight ankle, got a tap in about two seconds.

Brothers, I’ve seen the light. Hail (baby white belt straight ankle) satan!

:yeshaha:

Hail Satan!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got neck cranked by a purple belt that I actively avoid tonight wasn't very happy. We were doing situational sparring where winner stays on and the next in line jumps in. I come in and he starts on my back, I'm basically just conceding an easy choke or arm bar attempt because I literally hate rolling with this guy because he's Mr Go Hard. He wraps his own lapel around my neck swings his leg over and chops down hard, no choke just slams my head down towards the mat, had to say tap 4x before he let go. Fun times.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sounds awful. I'd have to think other people at the gym notice the guy too?

I just had the opposite experience; a week ago I rolled with a guy that had a cup (it was after kickboxing and he spars) and,sure enough when he took my back from turtle I felt that pressure digging into my spine. I came out of it OK but made a mental note to talk to him about it next time. A week later we pair up again and I ask him if he has a cup, explain how I'm wary of it crushing my spine, and ask him if he could be careful about taking my back. He says that's fine, doesn't take my back, and still taps me several times. Win win!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bad abs bad jiu-jitsu

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

Got neck cranked by a purple belt that I actively avoid tonight wasn't very happy. We were doing situational sparring where winner stays on and the next in line jumps in. I come in and he starts on my back, I'm basically just conceding an easy choke or arm bar attempt because I literally hate rolling with this guy because he's Mr Go Hard. He wraps his own lapel around my neck swings his leg over and chops down hard, no choke just slams my head down towards the mat, had to say tap 4x before he let go. Fun times.

I mean can you tell the guy you don't want to go hard, or hell, just tell him you don't like rolling with him because of how he acts?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean can you tell the guy you don't want to go hard, or hell, just tell him you don't like rolling with him because of how he acts?

Been there done that, doesn't help. I just avoid him. Had the unfortunate situation of having to get paired with him.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Been there done that, doesn't help. I just avoid him. Had the unfortunate situation of having to get paired with him.

"I gotta go to the bathroom"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

I would hope even the stricted gym would respect "hey, this guy is a spaz and he is gonna hurt me, I won't roll with him" if you get paired up in the future

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Got my first stripe

I know it's the babiest of baby steps but it feels good to have a marker I have taken my first step

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Congratulations! Don't diminish it, most people think about the difference between white and blue belt but isn't it really that first stripe when you make the biggest change.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I did BJJ for like 2 years after doing sambo for like 8 years and I still never got a stripe, so you're officially ahead of me

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Got my first stripe

I know it's the babiest of baby steps but it feels good to have a marker I have taken my first step
I know it's not a belt but still congrats!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

any recs on good kneepads?

I got Venums which were well reviewed but they are already almost completely fallen apart after like four months

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

any recs on good kneepads?

I got Venums which were well reviewed but they are already almost completely fallen apart after like four months

u roller skating homie??

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats Mel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wangsbig posted:

u roller skating homie??

I don't care if it makes me a big bitch or whatever my knees dont hurt all the time so its fair shakes

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I have been using the Bauerfeind GenuTrains for the past 2 years. They have held up quite well to 3-4 training sessions a week, I wash them every time as well.

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/KNEE-BRACES-BY-GENUTRAIN/GenuTrain%C2%AE/p/YPBF_BAK_GENUTR

When I started BJJ I sprained my MCL in both knees. One of the times it was really bad. Part of it was lovely moment and all that but since using these I have had zero issues. I also where them snowboarding (old man knees).

Yes, they are expensive, yes, they are worth it and I will get another pair immediately if these every where out.

EDIT: Congrats on the stripe!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spandexcajun posted:

I have been using the Bauerfeind GenuTrains for the past 2 years. They have held up quite well to 3-4 training sessions a week, I wash them every time as well.

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/KNEE-BRACES-BY-GENUTRAIN/GenuTrain%C2%AE/p/YPBF_BAK_GENUTR

When I started BJJ I sprained my MCL in both knees. One of the times it was really bad. Part of it was lovely moment and all that but since using these I have had zero issues. I also where them snowboarding (old man knees).

Yes, they are expensive, yes, they are worth it and I will get another pair immediately if these every where out.

I'll take a peek, thanks.

spandexcajun posted:

CommonShore posted:

Congrats Mel.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I did BJJ for like 2 years after doing sambo for like 8 years and I still never got a stripe, so you're officially ahead of me

Jack B Nimble posted:

Congratulations! Don't diminish it, most people think about the difference between white and blue belt but isn't it really that first stripe when you make the biggest change.

thanks. I was thinking about how many people start and drop out before even getting to this point, so its a cool little marker of growth.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I hated my bauerfield brace, it would get deformed so quickly from washing in hot water along with the rest of my gear and never fit well. I got a warranty replacement and the same poo poo happened immediately.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so, for Judo last night I was partnered up with a 300lb dude

I recommend it, because if you can get that mother fucker off his feet you know you're doing it right

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

heeebrew posted:

I hated my bauerfield brace, it would get deformed so quickly from washing in hot water along with the rest of my gear and never fit well. I got a warranty replacement and the same poo poo happened immediately.

I don't wash anything in hot water and have never had an issue with my baurfiend prodcuts. is it a good idea to wear a brace if you don't have ligament issues? Mel requested a knee pad which I take to be different from a knee brace. I would be wary of wearing them if I didn't have a medical need but it's more of an assumption

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I sprained my right ACL last year, started wearing a brace, have been mostly pain free for past 2+ months, stopped wearing my brace and just re-hurt my knee this week. Ugh. Back to that brace life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

I don't wash anything in hot water and have never had an issue with my baurfiend prodcuts. is it a good idea to wear a brace if you don't have ligament issues? Mel requested a knee pad which I take to be different from a knee brace. I would be wary of wearing them if I didn't have a medical need but it's more of an assumption

I always wash all my gear in hot water for enhanced sanitation. Is this overkill?