Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

My former co-worker loved his dogs so much. He was DINK so he could afford it, but one required 4 blood transfusions before finally expiring. Each pint cost about $700. And that was just the blood and not any of the other procedures needed so this animal could continue making GBS threads itself at every opportunity.

I have never understood spending more on a pet's medical care than you do on your own. I was doing my grocery shopping lat weekend and noticed a new business in the shopping center. It was a pet dermatologist. Meanwhile there are people living in daylight RVs on the parking lot.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Even if you're upside down on your cat, just let them go because they'll always land right-side up.

Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jan/21/should-i-stop-pension-contributions-to-get-a-bigger-mortgage

quote:

I have a question based on the article you wrote in 2015. I am a deputy head teacher. My partner and I are having strong arguments over me stopping my pension, which I want to do so that I can get the best possible mortgage by providing three payslips clear of pension contributions. We are looking to increase the size of our house in north London as we have a young family. My partner doesn’t have a pension as she thinks they are the devil. She is freelance and so her payslips won’t be contributing to the mortgage process. It appears most mortgage firms do not overlook your pension payments. What should I do?

PI whats the least expensive cat food these people are going to have to eat when they stop receiving a wage

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Taking investment advice from cats is better than taking it from paid professionals

quote:

Professional wealth managers have long been criticized for charging more than their services are actually worth.
But getting routed by an animal that spends 20 hours a day either asleep or scratching itself is a new low.
In a recent stock-picking challenge, the UK Observer pitted a trio of investment managers against two groups of amateurs: a handful of high school students, and a house cat named Orlando.
The cat won.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

therobit posted:

I have never understood spending more on a pet's medical care than you do on your own. I was doing my grocery shopping lat weekend and noticed a new business in the shopping center. It was a pet dermatologist. Meanwhile there are people living in daylight RVs on the parking lot.

Very nice.

My GF is a dentist and the amount of people who balk at spending $250 to get a filling is crazy. Meanwhile they have a new iPhone, Apple watch, nice car, etc... You have a hole in your tooth....

A girl at my office was just telling me about her pet dermatologist....

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

New movie idea: Ace Ventura, Pet Dermatologist.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Cacafuego posted:

~~Tale as old as time (again)~~

Good Credit but Low Income

This is going to work out spectacularly for all involved: dumbass kid, his equally dumb co-signer, his parents paying his insurance (which will probably skyrocket once he gets in his first accident)...

lol I had to go back and read more of this guy's reddit posting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/9gsfbd/best_rolex_everose_gold_40mm/ posted:

I don’t know really know much about the watch,(or watches in general) but I love how it looks. I’m looking for the closest looking and highest quality rep under $700. It doesn’t have to be an exact replica, as long as it looks genuine, keeps time and doesn’t get called out I’m good.

some redditor posted:

The thing that'll get you called out is whether or not you could plausibly afford a $25k watch tbh

OP redditor posted:

I drive a $48k car, if that helps. I can’t afford nor would I drop that much on a watch though.

He's talking about a 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost, which is worth less than $20k and which, even when new, was only about a $30k car. It takes some real cognitive dissonance to convince yourself that your $18k car is actually a $48k car, and to use that falsehood to try to get others to tell you that yes, it's reasonable that you could be rocking a $25k gold Rolex.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

He's talking about a 2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost, which is worth less than $20k and which, even when new, was only about a $30k car. It takes some real cognitive dissonance to convince yourself that your $18k car is actually a $48k car, and to use that falsehood to try to get others to tell you that yes, it's reasonable that you could be rocking a $25k gold Rolex.

It's also disturbingly typical BWM behavior to think that the car you drive is what makes you look wealthy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How do you get a dog blood donation? Does some other owner volunteer their dog or do they just grab a guy with a poor adoption outlook from the shelter and drain him?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

How do you get a dog blood donation? Does some other owner volunteer their dog or do they just grab a guy with a poor adoption outlook from the shelter and drain him?

the former, if you have a dog who donates it can be bucks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Not pet related unless you count this dude getting treated like a goddamn dog:
My company owes me over $25k in backpay... but I don't really want to quit or litigate

quote:

I've been working for a small engineering company for almost two years now. The company is about 30 years old, but has shrunk in size over the last few years. Finished a graduate degree in science, and once I settled into my current position, I found I really had a knack for this kind of work. I was able to move back to my hometown, near my family. On paper, most of the things about my current position are great; I work with other capable people, the projects are varied and interesting, I get to put my education to use in a novel and rewarding way. I truly enjoy going into work every day.

The problem is a financial one. The company doesn't have a lot of liquid cash. In fact, they started missing payroll occasionally last year, and I'm owed quite a bit of backpay. I was naive, being my first non-academia position, but I really let the amount slip... and I'm owed about $26,000 on my $60,000 a year salary. Payroll has been consistent for the last few months, but I haven't seen any backpay, and I don't think it's coming anytime soon. There's no controversy on the backpay amount. My checks' pay periods are back-dated to August of 2018, on new paychecks I've been getting this month. I believe the company is worth a lot, somehow. We are still getting projects, there's a lot of IP that is owned by the company (although I have no experience evaluating it), and while I don't really understand it, I think we have a lot of stock from some client who is attempting to go public?

None of this feels malicious. I am on great terms with the owner, sort of my boss, and we interact almost daily on interesting and challenging work. My other coworkers are great too. Like I said, I love going into work. I feel like finding a job you love is worth a lot... but I also feel like I have no idea what is going on with the company financially. I have consulted with two different lawyers, and I know if I sue for the pay, I could easily get twice the amount plus legal fees. The boss has downplayed this fact... either (1) he has some legal reason to prevent current and former employees from just getting a payout, where the lawyers I talked to don't realize, (2) he believes he has some reason, but is mistaken, or (3) he knows anyone could win a lawsuit, but doesn't want to make it obvious. But suing would really screw up the company and my coworkers, who I would call my friends at this point.

I guess none of this is a question... and I know most of the responses are going to tell me I am crazy, to get out of there, and collect my easy $50k judgement. I just can't really bring myself to do it. It's hard to explain in this post, but it feels just, morally wrong. I could find some local job that pays much better, but I feel like I wouldn't enjoy the work nearly as much. Is there anything of the whole situation I could be missing, or critical information I could easily figure out? Am I just being duped at this point?

TL;DR : Company owes me $26k in missed paychecks. The amount is not really contended, and suing for double the pay would be pretty easy. I just can't bring myself to do that to a job where I love the work, and to coworkers and a boss that I enjoy interacting with daily.

Reply posted:

OP, can we keep in touch so I can eventually hire you whenever I open my own company? I need employees who feel morally wrong to seek compensation for their work.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

Not pet related unless you count this dude getting treated like a goddamn dog:
My company owes me over $25k in backpay... but I don't really want to quit or litigate

Lol that comment is on the nose. He should file a wage claim now, hopefully ahead of any other employees filing.

Also LMAO stop working for free, you idiot, you absolute moron.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Continuing to work at a place that misses payroll once is BWL

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Continuing to work at a place that misses payroll once is BWL

Can't tell if you're specifically referencing the shutdown or not.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Very common problem that employers take advantage of without any thought is that employees treat their interactions with the business as a personal relationship rather than viewing things through a business relationship lense.

More commonly you see this as workers accepting being overworked and understaffed since they view it as helping out their friends/coworkers rather than a failure of the company to ensure they have an adequate work force to handle the work load.

This is just an extreme case of that mentality and I hope they snap out of it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Very common problem that employers take advantage of without any thought is that employees treat their interactions with the business as a personal relationship rather than viewing things through a business relationship lense.

More commonly you see this as workers accepting being overworked and understaffed since they view it as helping out their friends/coworkers rather than a failure of the company to ensure they have an adequate work force to handle the work load.

This is just an extreme case of that mentality and I hope they snap out of it.

Keeps them coming in when they're sick and taking much longer to quit when they realize it's BS, too. It's so scummy to take advantage of employees.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

therobit posted:

Lol that comment is on the nose. He should file a wage claim now, hopefully ahead of any other employees filing.

Also LMAO stop working for free, you idiot, you absolute moron.

Canada Bill Jones once said it was morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money. So the company is obviously morally right here!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

lol

e: https://www.buriennissan.com/VehicleDetails/used-2013-Subaru-Impreza_Wagon_WRX-5_door_Manual_Wagon-Burien-WA/3351684793

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 24, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rich people understand interest, poor people pay it.

6 years at $600/month for a 6-year old Impreza WRX. Dear god...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hey, at the end of it he'll have spent $48k to own a 12 year old WRX free and clear!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

16% on a car loan... Just ouch

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I get absolutely insulting "offers" in the mail from local dealers, saying that I can trade in my 2015 for a 2019 and keep the "Same Payment"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nocheez posted:

6 years at $600/month for a 6-year old Impreza WRX. Dear god...

Hail automotive Satan!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I get absolutely insulting "offers" in the mail from local dealers, saying that I can trade in my 2015 for a 2019 and keep the "Same Payment"

If it's paid off, you should definitely take them up on that deal.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Weird there's no arrow pointing to the APR.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I get a certain pleasure out of telling car salesman I'm not interested in talking about monthly payments. Maybe too much pleasure.

:ohdear:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
That APR is awful but there's so much more BWM there - $895 for GAP and $3250 warranty are outrageous. $650 for the license/doc(umentation?) fees seems absurd, too.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Since we’re in Pet Island can we get away with self posting? Cats were BWM for me, I had a lovely little black cat George who had all kinds of problems, developed diabetes so he had to get shots every day. Then he came down with pancreatitis if I remember correctly. That was more daily medicine. He was a love though.

I also had a female black cat named Pink. She never really got domesticated, hated everyone except me and scratch up everything. When she went to the vet they had to use those elbow length leather gloves to handle her. She tore up all kinds of stuff. We saved her from a junkyard though so I felt bad for her.

Throw in all the allergy meds my wife and daughter had to take and it added it up.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's always GWL to have a black cat though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

It makes me sort of nauseous to think that the answer must be that somewhere there is a lab facility where dogs are kenneled and drained of their blood on a regular basis

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It makes me sort of nauseous to think that the answer must be that somewhere there is a lab facility where dogs are kenneled and drained of their blood on a regular basis

What about the other breeds?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Entering a lease to get rid of negative equity. (self.personalfinance)

Missed opportunity. It was deleted by the time I clicked on it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Phanatic posted:

What about the other breeds?

Dogs are all the same species and can donate blood to each other with respect to their blood typing rather than breed. Evidently there are common universal donor blood types. Sure enough a little bit of googling revealed horror stories about 150 retired racing greyhounds kenneled at a dog blood bank as blood donation slaves

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dogs are all the same species and can donate blood to each other with respect to their blood typing rather than breed. Evidently there are common universal donor blood types. Sure enough a little bit of googling revealed horror stories about 150 retired racing greyhounds kenneled at a dog blood bank as blood donation slaves

That's some Stephen King poo poo.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

150 retired racing greyhounds kenneled at a dog blood bank as blood donation slaves

Someone's been reading my diary

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dogs are all the same species and can donate blood to each other with respect to their blood typing rather than breed.

I was making a lab/labrador joke.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/ajgrlg/pge_cleared_from_wildfires_wtf_i_sold_at_7/

PG&E Cleared from Wildfires. WTF??? I sold at $7 posted:

News just broke out that PG&E (PCG) got cleared from liability for California wildfires. WTF?? SEriously??? I bought $90k shares worth of PG&E @ $17 and sold them at $7 because YOU GUYS told me it was going to be bankrupt. OMFG why

They are still on the hook for the 2018 fires so this guy was screwed either way but lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

No dollar figures, but this situation sounds expensive.

horsechron posted:

Free Lease gone super bad, WWYD?

Sep. 11, 2013, 12:24 PM

Just like the title says.... free leased a schoolmaster hunter gelding within state. Big horse, super sweet and easy to ride, been in lesson program before successfully, was great show horse in the past and 2 ft low working hunter champion last year.

Needs front shoes and basic maintenance spelled out in signed contract to include SmartDigest Ultra as he is too old to be insured and is enrolled in Colic Care program. Also is prone to getting summer sores if turned out in wet conditions so Leasee was specifically told to keep legs as dry as possible and be vigilant about leg care.

I send horse with 3 weeks worth of Smartpaks and kindly remind leasee that horse absolutely needs them and not to forget to order. They were never ordered, leasee says that she lost her credit card, will reorder them. Horse is only gone for 3 months but I am always available by text, phone or fb. Am told weekly that horse is doing great.

Get a text last week by leasee that horse is too high maintenance is being returned, only gone for three months. No problem. just tell her to bring him back. Ask where he is in his supplement schedule, am told barn manager let smartpaks lapse but she will order new box and send with him. 

Horse is returned and dropped off with all four legs covered in summer sores and a hot mess. No smartpaks, no halter (she took the halter and lead rope back with her???) no nothing. I suspect that he has never had any supplements for the last 3 months.

Vet immediately comes out, treats summer sores and sends pathology out to university as we find out the horse has been used for swimming in a lake and want to rule out other sources for the sores and lesions. Four days later, last night, horse colics with an impaction and vet again comes out at 12am and tubes horse. Luckily he passed manure this morning and we likely caught it in time.

So now these vet bills are racking up, horse is a mess and needs constant care. Per the lease agreement, Leasee is responsible to return the horse in the same condition in which he left, all vet bills while in her care and to maintain his current supplement program. She has done none of these things.

This is not a backyard facility that he went to but a highly visible, highly advertised barn with 5 figure horses for sale. Actually just saw that they bought a new upper level jumper on fb. Leasee will not communicate by phone, only by text or fb message.

Besides the legal route, what would you do? I have a video that I would love to post of how the horses legs looked when he was returned. Now I am into all this extensive care for the lesions and now the colic aftercare. All leasee says is that she is "sorry". Thoughts on how to proceed?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I don't know what most any of that gibberish means, but it sounds like a lot of :20bux: and that's good enough for me

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That tree law comic but with horses instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

26%APR car loan ahoy:

Trying to pay out my car finance early..some things aren't adding up?

quote:

Hi Reddit - I'm in a very high interest car finance with Source One Financial, I'm looking to pay off my vehicle early and keep it as my daily. I was looking too see if my contract makes sense. I was 23 when i got the car and in a tough spot, needed a car for work and made a bad decision, been paying for it for 2 years now. Got the car March 2017, I can afford to continue making the payments but I don't want to continue paying so much interest as my financial situation has improved since. Below are the facts;

Cash selling price - $12,539

Optional Warranty (i didn't know this was included, my fault for not paying attention) - $1,866

Net Diff - $15,108

HST - $1,984

Subtotal - $17,072.04

Cash down - $500

Registration Fee - $99

Source One Admin Fee - $795

Amount Financed - $17,466.04

Number of payments - 66

Interest rate - 26%

Cost of borrowing - $16, 134.57

Total Payable - $33,600.71

Also need to mention - When i called to ask how much it would be to pay off the loan they told me $14,500. I was under the assumption it would be lower as the $14k is the amount owed if i continued with the 5 year term? Or am i wrong. I pay about $235 bi weekly now. As it stands i've paid 50% of the balance but its purely been interest.