Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Peanut Butler posted:

if I had to guess, watching News Radio, which actor on there would be relevant in 2020, I probably would have hoped it'd be Phil Hartman and feared it'd be Andy Dick

we really do get the worst surprises

at least Stephen Root is still doing good work

snipe, might as well post a pic

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/mad_liberals/status/1086252211754151937

A nuke went off a few years ago and we all died in our sleep. We transitioned to hell overnight without realizing it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol the last gasp of western white supremacist power is donald trump

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Koishi Komeiji posted:

A nuke went off a few years ago and we all died in our sleep. We transitioned to hell overnight without realizing it.

nah we didn't die we are just in half-life and the simulation is not being maintained properly.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

if I had to guess, watching News Radio, which actor on there would be relevant in 2020, I probably would have hoped it'd be Phil Hartman and feared it'd be Andy Dick

we really do get the worst surprises

Was gonna say Kathy Griffin too but turns out that was Vicki Lewis that was on News Radio

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Koishi Komeiji posted:

2012 was real

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llgUV4pNwQs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

I had to stop at "10 Duel commandments."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's been almost 4 years since hamilton premiered. does anyone want to guess how much money it's bringing in each week on broadway? for reference a big hit is considered somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5-2 million/week. no cheating!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

R. Guyovich posted:

it's been almost 4 years since hamilton premiered. does anyone want to guess how much money it's bringing in each week on broadway? for reference a big hit is considered somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5-2 million/week. no cheating!

I'll guess $3mil/week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

R. Guyovich posted:

6.2 mil/week averaged somehow

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlVt9iyT58E&t=38s

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I'll guess $3mil/week

yeah, this seems about right - it's constantly sold out and ticket prices are high, but pretty much all Broadway shows are expensive and I think the Richard Rodgers Theatre's capacity is only medium high for Broadway

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

at this rate lin m miranda will be wealthy enough to own slaves like the subject of his creative vehicle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Former DILF posted:

at this rate lin m miranda will be wealthy enough to own slaves like the subject of his creative vehicle

where is immortal technique when we need him the most

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I'll guess $3mil/week

got it in one. average ticket price is $300 lmao

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
On some level I'm just happy people are seeing something other than Cats and Les Mis.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Volcott posted:

On some level I'm just happy people are seeing something other than Cats and Les Mis.

since both those shows are closed i dunno how impressive it is

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

since both those shows are closed i ...

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

cats owns if you’re tripping

they should provide you with edibles when you get in the theatre

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

you should be upset that anybody is watching broadway

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volcott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

Hamilton is worse.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hamilton is worse.

im with you on les mis (the novel is butchered although the show is still slightly pro-revolution) but cats? absolutely not

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Cats is the product of Andrew Lloyd Webber realising he's put out enough hits that he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so he made a play based off a toxoplasmosis fever dream and a book of old cat lady poetry.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

at some award show recently they had Miranda and the guy who played Washington from the original cast do the song about Washington's final address because it's got a "partisanship is bad" message and it struck me how this specific song is about lionizing events that really had no larger impact on history as a whole. Washington's farewell address didn't do poo poo in the context of history.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

who cares about relevance when you can have smug satisfaction

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hamilton is worse.

Is it, though?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Volcott posted:

Is it, though?

yes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich posted:

im with you on les mis (the novel is butchered although the show is still slightly pro-revolution) but cats? absolutely not

Cats might be bad but at the end of the day it's just a furry musical. Hamilton is revisionist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Treating historical figures, especially elitist monsters like Hamilton, as heroic figures of escapist fantasy is a whole new level of false consciousness. The Japanese can pull this off because their historical fiction is inherently ridiculous and everyone knows that it's just a story, but Hamilton is billed as a musical experience with living history.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the bbc take on les mis (the actual novel) going on right now is pretty good.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

les mis the novel loving rules. let me find my favorite passage

Victor Hugo posted:

It has been estimated that in ceremonial of this kind, salutes to royalty and other distinguished personages, the opening and closing of harbours, guns fired at daybreak and sunset from ships and fortresses throughout the civilized world, some 150,000 cannons are uselessly discharged every twenty-four hours. At six francs a time this amounts to 900,000 francs a day, or 300 millions a year. A detail in passing. Meanwhile the poor continue to die of hunger.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Retromancer posted:

Cats is the product of Andrew Lloyd Webber realising he's put out enough hits that he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so he made a play based off a toxoplasmosis fever dream and a book of old cat lady poetry.

Sounds like he knew his market, op

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

1776: the musical is better than Hamilton anyways

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cool dance moves posted:

1776: the musical is better than Hamilton anyways

this is true. though 1776 is very back-patty as well.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
john brown is the only white american from before the 20th century who deserves the title of hero imo

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

William Henry Harrison, whose pre-presidential career involved loving over native populations in Indiana Territory, died a month into office- at the time pneumonia was cited but modern medical historians believe what got him was sepsis from the fact that DC's sewage used to be dumped upstream from the White House and that WHH was over 70 at a time when doctors were guessers

so whoever decided to dump sewage there is, in part, accidentally a hero

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Dear god, when the Hamilton movie adaptation comes out I may actually kill myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Larry Parrish posted:

john brown is the only white american from before the 20th century who deserves the title of hero imo

well i'd say the others who worked with him probably count too