Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

no the extra 15% spent wont result in anywhere near 15% performance. They are the same GPU, the power delivery and cooling will be improved resulting in a usually cooler and quieter card that overclocks better. Still not 15% better though, maybe 5% with a golden chip and underwater

My question was if I'm in the step up queue will they lower the price to match a lower msrp or do they keep separate skus to say "sorry, different card?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, I feel like with my 1080 Ti pushing 120hZ 1440 Ultrawide I’m good til at least the next generation or the one after that. With an i5-4670k I’m due for a CPU upgrade today over any GPU one.

Please talk me out of buying a i9-9900k please

For gaming, the 9900k is effectively identical to the 9700k.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Fauxtool posted:

no the extra 15% spent wont result in anywhere near 15% performance. They are the same GPU, the power delivery and cooling will be improved resulting in a usually cooler and quieter card that overclocks better. Still not 15% better though, maybe 5% with a golden chip and underwater

Turing chips are binned differently, higher end GPUs are legitimately better. You're not going to see linear price/performance gain, but if you're buying a 2080Ti that's clearly not your goal to begin with. I'm not sure the performance delta per dollar there is going to be any worse than your upgrade as a whole.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, I feel like with my 1080 Ti pushing 120hZ 1440 Ultrawide I’m good til at least the next generation or the one after that. With an i5-4670k I’m due for a CPU upgrade today over any GPU one.

I already own a 9900k, its very nice. Today I was shuffling some games off my SSD to free up space and steam backup was going super slow ~30 MB/sec because it is single threaded :lol:, so I canceled that and instead fired up 7-zip and started manually compressing them into "fastest" 7z archives on the backup drive which pegged all 16 threads and ran at 145 MB/sec. My old quad core couldn't even come close to that kind of throughput outside of "store" which is not compressing files at all, now 7z is actually significantly faster than my gigabit internet so it is worth it to keep local backups again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tehinternet posted:

If you get a 9900k get as big a cooler as you can fit or go custom loop because the things poo poo heat. I'm fairly limited with a 280mm AIO.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Any good options besides a 1070 in the same general price range? Looking in a new card and just wanted to check my options, just running a 1440p 75hz monitor so don't need anything very powerful.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are they still selling 1070s? I thought it was all 1070ti. Check out Vega56. It comes with some games you may want like division 2 and RE2

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Any good options besides a 1070 in the same general price range? Looking in a new card and just wanted to check my options, just running a 1440p 75hz monitor so don't need anything very powerful.

If you’re in the US, there are still a few new entry-level 1070s starting at $300.

The 2060 has roughly 1070 Ti performance (~15% over the 1070) and starts at $350. You’ll get RAYZ, but lose 2GB RAM, which hurts at 4K and will probably be more important down the line. You’ll also get a choice of one free game.

Vega 56s have roughly similar performance. They mostly start around $400, but currently come with 3! free games. The Red Dragon is currently on sale for $340, but I can’t speak to the quality of the card.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Stickman posted:

If you’re in the US, there are still a few new entry-level 1070s starting at $300.

The 2060 has roughly 1070 Ti performance (~15% over the 1070) and starts at $350. You’ll get RAYZ, but lose 2GB RAM, which hurts at 4K and will probably be more important down the line. You’ll also get a choice of one free game.

Vega 56s have roughly similar performance. They mostly start around $400, but currently come with 3! free games. The Red Dragon is currently on sale for $340, but I can’t speak to the quality of the card.

I have that vega 56 and its nice, plus the amd drivers are amazing, plus amd chill makes it so that the fans never have to turn on.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Palladium posted:

Good, because it only took like 4.5 years for day 1 GTX 970 holders to double the perf/$

This is a few pages old, but HEY this is me! It's frustrating. I guess I made the right purchase.

I think I'm just going to shell out for a high end card at this point. Tired of waiting for value to show up.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 28, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Stickman posted:

For gaming, the 9900k is effectively identical to the 9700k.

What he said, and in some cases the 9700K outperforms the 9900K if you're playing a game or using a piece of software that doesn't schedule well with hyperthreading.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jisforjosh posted:

What he said, and in some cases the 9700K outperforms the 9900K if you're playing a game or using a piece of software that doesn't schedule well with hyperthreading.

Does any game made in the last couple years have issues with HT? I know some did years ago but I assumed that was largely behind us.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lockback posted:

Does any game made in the last couple years have issues with HT? I know some did years ago but I assumed that was largely behind us.

I believe that's correct. Games are only getting better and better with core usage.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lockback posted:

There were a few instances with BFV performing slightly better without HT enabled.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-pc-performance-benchmarks,4.html

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heads up, the "cheap" EVGA 2080 Ti is in stock for $1,099 no taxes outside CA.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-laments-low-turing-sales-says-last-quarter-was-a-punch-in-the-gut/

Turns out poor performance/$ doesn't translate into strong sales.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Who would've thought that 700-1200$ cards would not sell like hotcakes? Preposterous, I say!

Did they seriously expect to move a lot of inventory considering the price, the price/performance ratio and the uselessness of the RTX features until now?

Honestly, that's great. My recently purchased 1080 will carry me through this gen and I will be ready for a 3080 or whatever, with RTX 2nd gen and a probably much better price/performance ratio

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 28, 2019

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It might have had more 2080 Ti traction if it wasn't about the fourth time they've released $1000 priced cards in six years.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

This is excellent news. Hopefully they've found the tipping point for pricing, and will drop prices a bit... wait, who am I kidding?

Edit: but really, cards at similar price points or higher price points than before with similar-ish performance and less VRAM, and a barely usable (apart from Quake 2) feature as the headline? People aren't exactly going to break down doors for that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Who would've thought that 700-1200$ cards would not sell as hotcakes? Preposterous, I say!

Did they seriously expect to move a lot of inventory considering the price, the price/performance ratio and the uselessness of the RTX features until now?

Honestly, that's great. My recently purchased 1080 will carry me through this gen and I will be ready for a 3080 or whatever, with RTX 2nd gen and a probably much better price/performance ratio

In what loving galaxy are they living in? Just because they wouldn't bend to pick up $1000 off the ground ... bah, who am i kidding, of course nobody else would either. That's basement prices.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They really needed to clear out the Pascal lineup and felt like they had to release something. They got themselves backed into a corner due to betting on crypto (ie, what happens to everyone) and there wasn't a really good out for them.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Chips are developed on time scales of multiple years. Turing didn't happen because Nvidia "felt like they had to release something;" the fundamental design was most certainly in the pipe well before the recent Bitcoin mess was even evident. Major semiconductor firms do not turn on a dime and the horse-race narrative of "launch and response" is largely a construct that hardware sites use to make things sound more exciting than they are.

The mega-dumb, insult-everybody's-intelligence thing about Turing is that NV's product people tried to name-game their way into "generational advances" and felt like they could soak gamers on performance per dollar because competition is so weak right now. If AMD had truly perf/watt-competitive products across the board and not just perf-competitive stuff that has to be heaved over the optimal point on the VFS curve to matter, we'd probably have seen the usual trickle-down in perf/dollar from NV this generation.

Instead we're getting a 300W GTX 1080 Ti equivalent from AMD two years later that's still priced like a GTX 1080 Ti because Nvidia gave them the go-ahead by charging 1080 Ti prices for 1080 Ti performance in the vast majority of today's games with the 2080. GPUs are in a seriously strange place right now. #waitfornavi (LOL it's still GCN with GCN problems I guess who even knows any more)

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 28, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I could swear most people couldnt give a poo poo about perf/watt. I just dont know who'd pay that much attention outside of laptop users

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I could swear most people couldnt give a poo poo about perf/watt. I just dont know who'd pay that much attention outside of laptop users

Most things these days, CPUs and GPUs, boost based on temperature. It would be pretty lovely to buy a hotter GPU and then have your CPU not boost as high, without creating more fan noise, just to give an example.
I think I speak for most when I say I care about having a machine that runs quietly, but also isn't sacrificing performance to be quiet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I don’t care about perf/power as much as perf/noise.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yeah, perf/watt is an analogue for perf/noise and perf/dollar as well, apart from the direct link of "how much perf can I fit into this beige box with a low-profile slot and no aux power connector".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Animal posted:

Heads up, the "cheap" EVGA 2080 Ti is in stock for $1,099 no taxes outside CA.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

SuprisedPikachu.png.

Hopefully AMD can get something worthwhile out of door one day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

SuprisedPikachu.png.

Hopefully AMD can get something worthwhile out of door one day.

the "surprisedpikachu" here is probably tariffs on chinese goods, MSI says they're already hitting their goods, I don't see why EVGA would be different

The price increase is... 10% you say? Now where have I heard that number before? /surprisedpikachu

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 28, 2019

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

How good AMD's hardware encoding compared to NVENC? Specifically, compared to my 750 Ti @720p 60 FPS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Stink Terios posted:

How good AMD's hardware encoding

It's not. Not that you're likely to notice because aside from some wacky niche programs nobody uses it. It took forever to get it into ffmpeg. Handbrake actively resists it for some reason. Until about ten months ago your only weird converter apps were weird one-man niche programs like StaxRip and A's Video Converter, and I can't imagine the streaming apps being much better. However like with Shadowplay until recently, using their built in streaming overlay thing is going to know it better than something like OBS.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I seem to recall perf/w being the reason AMD had to tumble down the road of HBM with Fiji and Vega, as well. For all the financial costs HBM incurs, the watts saved that way can go elsewhere in the board power budget and AMD seems to need every watt it can get to the core to make/keep its products competitive, full stop. Nvidia enjoys much greater flexibility in setting top-line board power, what memory types it chooses to use, and how it allocates juice among the subsystems of its cards, and that ultimately seems to let it address more markets and make more money with its products.

Someone much smarter than I am makes the point that "power efficiency is pretty much the most important metric for any [integrated circuit]" and as much as we can wave away that concern on the desktop where power and thermal constraints don't matter nearly at all, it doesn't bode well in getting design wins for your architecture in attractive but power-constrained markets like data centers or in notebooks if all you can ship is power-hungry, low-margin (or money-losing) parts that only match what the competition is doing with about half the power.

eames
May 9, 2009

Computerbase reports that defective chemicals destroyed thousands of 300mm TSMC Wafers

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia reached to bigger, more expensive parts with big new features with Turing because it thought the market could support it. If the market is softer than they thought, I don't think thats really a good thing for gamers. The results won't be $600 2080 Ti performance, Nvidia is already charging ~$1.3 per square mm on TU102 and TU104, a price per mm that GP102 and GP104 never even came close to even with sales, both of which were in the $1.5-1.4 per mm range on a more mature process to boot. During the sales recently, 2080 went down to $1.19/mm. Thats normally the range of midrange cards like the 1060 and RX 580 (although with 580 sales lately, thats gone as low as like 70c a mm. Unreal).

My thoughts are that a strong high end market drives R&D spending that lower end parts can benefit from, and makes Nvidia/AMD more willing to take tight pricing on the chin for the volume parts most of us buy. A soft high end market leads to more refreshes, rebrands, longer product cycles, and generally lower performance all around. Nobody buying fancy products doesnt always mean those fancy products get cheaper, it often means they just get way worse.

There are problems with Turing beyond the narrative i'm pushing (the used Pascal crypto parts, the lower ram, the flat price/performance), but I still don't think its a positive sign.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

It's not. Not that you're likely to notice because aside from some wacky niche programs nobody uses it. It took forever to get it into ffmpeg. Handbrake actively resists it for some reason. Until about ten months ago your only weird converter apps were weird one-man niche programs like StaxRip and A's Video Converter, and I can't imagine the streaming apps being much better. However like with Shadowplay until recently, using their built in streaming overlay thing is going to know it better than something like OBS.

Ugh. Having to buy Nvidia with a significantly worse price thanks to this sucks.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I don't care if AMD stuff isn't as price/prrf at this point considering the recent game bundles. NVIDIAs dumb prices is also punishing me to take the switch .

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

Who would've thought that 700-1200$ cards would not sell like hotcakes? Preposterous, I say!

I buy expensive, dumb poo poo regularly. $1k+ for a 2080ti is too loving much. It's the same reason I haven't upgraded my Pixel XL.

Like I bought $600 in headphones during the shutdown while not getting paid kind of dumb poo poo. I'm 100% their target market.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 29, 2019

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I care about perf/watt in that I don’t want my office to be a sauna with a 1000W heater

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Stink Terios posted:

Ugh. Having to buy Nvidia with a significantly worse price thanks to this sucks.

Buy used cards. Nvidia cards are the good ex-mining cards because they haven't been re-flashed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
With the news that RTX cards aren't selling all that well, are price cuts realistic? How high are the margins on these things, especially in light of the current trade war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lambert posted:

With the news that RTX cards aren't selling all that well, are price cuts realistic? How high are the margins on these things, especially in light of the current trade war?

Nvidia would rather die than do price cuts

The glory days of the 970 are over