Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

police don't lay claim to being heroes.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Within the context of the series, anyway :V

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1089697832993357824

:bignews: My Hero Academia is now avaliable worldwide so we don't need to rely on Jaimini's Box's dodgy translations. Sadly, Vigilantes is still restricted to the US side of things for some reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I certainly won't mind getting manga legally for a change

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bizarrely, manga plus has English translations for series that aren't on the Shonen Jump site?

David-kun, I'm from Japan, and Hinomaru.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Conot posted:

To criticize All Might for selling merch is a pretty high level "missing the point". All Might's (public) face is meant to be our platonic ideal of heroism. He is a hero who makes people feel safer just because "I am here". It's been explicitly spelled out multiple times that All Might's merch serves a explicit purpose of making his presence even greater then his actual superheroing, making villains scared to act out because everywhere they look there's reminders of All Might as an insurmountable wall who you can't even hope to scratch.

All Might is also the definition of self-sacrificing, having sacrificed both personal relationships and his goddamn internal organs on the altar of being a hero.

Stain is 100% insane and petty but he absolutely has a point to make about self-serving "heroes" who solely pursue the work for fame or money. All Might isn't a gloryhound for his own sake, he promotes his image for the sake of giving people a sense of security.

The sincerity of Stain's beliefs is shown in the chapter in which he's captured, in which he slips his bonds, while bloodied and beaten up just to stab a Nomu, rescuing a hero who meets his standard, puncturing his lung with a broken rib in the process.

The fact that Stain has a point doesn't mean he's objectively right (nor are his methods good). Endeavour is still a perfectly good "crimestopper" even though he wasn't "heroic" at the time of Stain's arc. No one can argue that Endeavour doesn't do material good for society through his deeds, but Stain will absolutely argue all day long (with knives) that Endeavour is not a "hero" and that he besmirches the name with his uncharismatic and aggressive personality.

As far as I recall we've never seen Stain stabbing or harming police because as far as we can tell he doesn't consider them part of the issue. They are police and they act like police and they don't lay claim to being heroes.

All Might's merchandising had an important role in his plan to become the Symbol of Peace. That's clear to the reader, because we understand that the Symbol of Peace was a deliberately planned idea of All Might's instead of something that arose organically. The general public isn't aware that All Might's entire plan for his whole career was to deliberately engineer events to set himself up as the Symbol of Peace, so it wouldn't really make sense for someone like Stain to know that "All Might signs off on letting people manufacture a billion tons of All Might branded merch" was Actually Selfless Heroism.

Trying to apply Stain's world view to judging All Might the same way he judged random beat cops heroes means that All Might used his image to make a bunch of people a whole lot of money, which is not in tune with the heroic ideal Stain claims to espouse. That's okay, because Stain being a crazy arbitrary murderer with a point that can't be entirely denied but isn't internally consistent seems to be the intent of the character.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, even if yes All Might has a bunch of merchandise he's been active for decades at this point and was so impressive he literally redefined society by his sheer presence. He's kind of on a pedestal no matter who you are, just look at how the All for One fight ended, literally everyone watching (besides villains) was wishing for All Might to win, to be the hero, to save the day.

All Might is everyone's hero, so Stain being kind of blinded by that and ignoring the bits that don't fit with the heroic ideal he places on All Might absolutely make sense, he ignores the bits that make heroes match the heroic ideal if he doesn't immediately see them. He's not so much arbitrary as extreme and as Izuku shows you can be a good enough hero for Stain to choose not to kill you, it just has to be his first opinion because he doesn't change his mind about "heroism" as far as I can tell. Which doesn't make him not an rear end in a top hat or a monster who happens to have a point, but it does mean he's at least consistent about his level of bullshit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

I need to find the interview again since it's one of the early ones but Horikoshi was asked for American comics he'd recommend to a new JAPANESE reader, and his first recommendation was Astro City which is pretty telling.

Care to fill us who don't read cape books in on what makes Astro City telling?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

:bignews: My Hero Academia is now avaliable worldwide so we don't need to rely on Jaimini's Box's dodgy translations.

I'm not sure where I read it but I recall someone complaining that the Viz translations sucked a lot of character out of the dialogue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Astro City is a cape comic that's kind of about the world of cape comics, using analogues of major heroes to tell more personal stories instead of the endless cycle of events.

Like, it's not the comic that asks "What would Superman REALLY be like? He can't be that good.", but it is a comic that goes "Alright. So there's a Superman, and he acts like Superman. What's it like to live in a world where that's possible?"

For example, the first issue is a day in the life of the Samaritan, the Big Blue Boyscout of the setting, with flashbacks of how he came to be here, and how much he's always doing. One of the running themes in it is how little time he has to himself, how he's had to deal with the fact there's always things he can't get to, even as he does more good in a day than most people can imagine doing in a lifetime.

It's not bitter or cynical. It's just... how this guy's life goes.

One of the longer storyarcs is about this C-list supervillain, Steeljack, who's gotten out of jail and is trying to go straight while investigating the murders of a bunch of his fellow schlub villains, focused on how hard it is to leave the life once you've gotten into it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm not sure where I read it but I recall someone complaining that the Viz translations sucked a lot of character out of the dialogue.
I don't know who said it but either way I would take it with a grain of salt. I think they're perfectly good translations and I haven't noticed that since switching away from scans. It's possible that that person is just upset that Bakugou doesn't curse like a sailor or something.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If anyone here is even slightly interested in cape comics then Astro City is a must read. Busiek is one of the best cape writers of the old guard and there are some really great stories in it. It's only 52 issues, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Bizarrely, manga plus has English translations for series that aren't on the Shonen Jump site?

David-kun, I'm from Japan, and Hinomaru.

hinomaru's a nice one since I don't think the scans keep up to date

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1089697832993357824

:bignews: My Hero Academia is now avaliable worldwide so we don't need to rely on Jaimini's Box's dodgy translations. Sadly, Vigilantes is still restricted to the US side of things for some reason.

Don't scanlations still come out 3-4 days before the SJ issue?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Either way you still don't have to rely solely on scans for big shounen stuff anymore, since you can just wait a few days or read both; one to satisfy the urge and the other to actually know what's being said.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
it should really apply to this manga where the scans can have such garbage translations that it ruins meaning

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

Chiasaur already kinda explained but there's a lot of little elements from it that you can kinda see in mha. All Might has several shades of The Samaritan in him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Astro City gave a lot of focus to the little people swept up in a superhero universe. The cast skews older than most of the usual superhero fare, and they're treated with weight and compassion. For folks who feel MHA doesn't do enough with the worldbuilding, Astro City has a rich setting jammed full of human details. It deals a lot with regular folks adjusting to the consequences of living in a world full of super-people.

In one arc, a scumbag lawyer starts using superhero precedent in regular courts. "Is the jury SURE it was my client, and not a shapeshifter from the Neptune dimension who did the murders? Because that's happened like, thirty times. And are we sure the victim is REALLY dead? Because lots of heroes die and come back."

Each arc is self-contained with it's own cast, so you can start reading at any trade. Like chiasaur11 says, the Tarnished Angel arc is a great place to start reading.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That sounds really neat, thanks. I'll check it out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh hey, well if the spoilers are correct. Using Black Whip now loving HURTS, to the point Deku has to drop from 20% to 8% of OFA, because he absolutely cannot use Black Whip without seriously screwing himself up. So as suspected, no, he hasn't magically mastered the quirk, and even as he unlocks new ones they won't just be the solution to the next problem, because even using Black Whip as he did is not something he can physically handle. So, once more, there was a whole bunch of crying and thrashing about like children for something that wasn't what it appeared to be.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Guess Deku will have to start using Black Whip with his feet for the time being :v:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
monoma musta used copy on class 1-a and thats why he's loving useless as poo poo, i really wanted him to do something cool with all my soul

Onmi posted:

Oh hey, well if the spoilers are correct. Using Black Whip now loving HURTS, to the point Deku has to drop from 20% to 8% of OFA, because he absolutely cannot use Black Whip without seriously screwing himself up. So as suspected, no, he hasn't magically mastered the quirk, and even as he unlocks new ones they won't just be the solution to the next problem, because even using Black Whip as he did is not something he can physically handle. So, once more, there was a whole bunch of crying and thrashing about like children for something that wasn't what it appeared to be.

it can't be that bad since the next panel deku is shown again he's already goku zooming around to catch shinsou, and still has 5 get out of jail free cards

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Uraraka is good

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/215/5648/1?mobile=1

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
A powerful cinnamon bun.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

drjuggalo posted:

monoma musta used copy on class 1-a and thats why he's loving useless as poo poo, i really wanted him to do something cool with all my soul

it can't be that bad since the next panel deku is shown again he's already goku zooming around to catch shinsou, and still has 5 get out of jail free cards

"Deku's finger flicks can't be that bad because he used his already broken fingers. There definitely won't be any long term ramifications from them."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well if this going to continue shaping up to be Dragon Ball Z I hope it gets to Ultra Instinct and Q-Cells quicker than DBZ did.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

A powerful cinnamon bun.

Uraraka made the decision early in her high school career to focus on how to beat the poo poo out of people.

So far, it really seems to be working out for her.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hey look monoma did something cool

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Isn't that over.

Also, I'm still in the camp that thinks OfA was more interesting when it was "just" super strength.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think they do but only on the scanlator site

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EDIT: My life is a mess

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats the one i linked

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jose posted:

thats the one i linked

then why did I read it on Box?

What is my life?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

then why did I read it on Box?

What is my life?

According to top experts, "being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

uraraka and ashido got to be cool so I'm v happy with this chapter

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Deku just faffed around with Shinso while Uraraka cleaned house. Very good chapter :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ashido's pretty clever

her acid quirk is just a ruse to distract you from her true power, uppercut inna jaw

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:swoon:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Turns out combining martial arts with zero-g is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Turns out combining martial arts with zero-g is really good.

Imagine a bicycle kick that never had to stop