Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Least favourite smell is formic acid, for me. Not just cause it burns like a motherfucker.

Neutral buffered formalin smells slightly sweet in small doses, I kinda like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
my company has had to basically create to what amounts to fermentation...umm jerky

so like spent enriched media, dried down with some filler to make a solid material

the SMELL of that process is the WORST most invasive stench i have ever delt with, think like something like TEMED(and i actually love the temed aroma) or some other ammoniated solvent and multiply that by a hundred fold or like dried concentrated urine

i'm assuming the stench is the fully broken down peptone in the media

it literally just inervates any clothing item you have on, thankfully we have a bunch o interns do the processing

Development
Jun 2, 2016

lol surprised no one has mentioned TEMED (except vivi) or BME, fuuuuuuuck those smells forever

I think the worst smell I had in recent memory was when the rotation student burned a bunch of their hair with a bunsen burner

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
you will not find me takin a casual wiff of BME...TEMED on the other hand

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

vivisectvnv posted:

(and i actually love the temed aroma)

Wtf.

Selenomethionine doesn't have the worst odor, but I hate it the most because it gives me a terrible headache.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We should move the last two pages of this thread to TCC and see if anyone there notices.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I like it when the essence of ammonium hydroxide hits the nose when I'm stuffy. That and lower concentrations of acetic acid are my favorite.

The higher levels of acetic acid do not smell like delicious pickles. They smell like burning.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The only thing that smells good in my building is the coffee in the breakroom. Everything else ranges from "slightly offensive" to "wow I wish I didn't have a nose" depending on what the spore lab is cooking and how long the test tubes have been sitting out without being cleaned.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

tbh "mouse" smell is quite awful

rotten fly food is also gnarly

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There’s a hallway at UCSD where they clean and prep food for drosophila labs. Holy cats that hallway could stink and it was just long enough that you would doubt whether you would make it holding your breath.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I’m so glad I don’t have to work with mice anymore.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

vivisectvnv posted:

you will not find me takin a casual wiff of BME...TEMED on the other hand

I kinda like the smell of BME since it was the standard reducing agent during my PhD. Nothing like exposing an entire lab section to this.
Nowadays I just judge my ecoli production based on the smell of the lysed cells.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
We deal with a number of pure mercaptans, mainly methyl, ethyl and butyl. Relatively small quantities, but enough to have 200mL bottles in use. Most of the site is able to tell when we open our storage fridge, even though all of the containers are double walled. And you'll smell it on your clothes for days after. Horrid stuff.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Sticko posted:

We deal with a number of pure mercaptans, mainly methyl, ethyl and butyl. Relatively small quantities, but enough to have 200mL bottles in use. Most of the site is able to tell when we open our storage fridge, even though all of the containers are double walled. And you'll smell it on your clothes for days after. Horrid stuff.

I was kinda waiting for this. gently caress mercaptans for ever.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I actually worked at a pet store for a while and I can confirm that mice are the stinkiest of all small animals.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Whatever the media that one of our researchers uses to culture our plasmids smells loving godawful.

We do a lot of cranial window stuff on our mice so I just ignore everything mouse-related in my lab, cause looking at those little fuckers does kind of make me :smith:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

Whatever the media that one of our researchers uses to culture our plasmids smells loving godawful.

We do a lot of cranial window stuff on our mice so I just ignore everything mouse-related in my lab, cause looking at those little fuckers does kind of make me :smith:

I am so glad I no longer work with anything that has feelings.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

r u BME guys cool enough???

:thunk:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Development posted:

One of my coworkers had a solution of iso-octyl mercaptan in the fridge. He did not have containment around it, and it was in the door of the fridge. He threw it in, the container shifted, and it fell to the floor and broke when the next person opened the fridge. Oh, and he didn't label it either. Evacuated a 50,000 sq ft building. Everyone got sent home early. It was a 1% solution in a scint vial.

Fall-out: I had the pleasure of firing him (for other reasons on top of this), and we installed an emergency air evac system that can turn over the whole building in 5 minutes.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Development posted:

ahahahaha NO THANK YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Development posted:

Be easier to just print this ghs label: :ohno:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dik Hz posted:

One of my coworkers had a solution of iso-octyl mercaptan in the fridge. He did not have containment around it, and it was in the door of the fridge. He threw it in, the container shifted, and it fell to the floor and broke when the next person opened the fridge. Oh, and he didn't label it either. Evacuated a 50,000 sq ft building. Everyone got sent home early. It was a 1% solution in a scint vial.

Fall-out: I had the pleasure of firing him (for other reasons on top of this), and we installed an emergency air evac system that can turn over the whole building in 5 minutes.

what's the min cert req for air change at this point?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Discendo Vox posted:

what's the min cert req for air change at this point?
No idea. We have an open floor plan 5000 sq ft lab with 5 hoods so we easily exceed the min cert just through those hoods.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
And here I am, mentioning with some regularity that we should have a fume hood at the very least.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

Be easier to just print this ghs label: :ohno:

you know what the worst GHS label is? exclamation mark

i mean look how stupid this is

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'll take "Localized Temperature Variation" for $1000, Alex.

Calibration dudes just identified that we have a 3*C difference in temperature between the two sides of our T/%RH transmitter in one room. As-Found vs As-Left tolerance failure because last year's technician put his probe on the other side of the transmitter from this week's technician. There's some airflow fuckery going on right next to it.

I would never have thought to check that and just assumed it was a legit out-of-tolerance. :doh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Clostridium culture takes the Cake for my worst lab smells. More than H2S producers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Today I got to do a thorough lab inspection of our entire building because it was smelling like burning electronics by our hoods. People were pretty freaked out.

Turns out some rednecks had a nice trash fire going directly upwind of our air intake points for our climate control system.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Posted this over in the resume thread, but figured I might get some more opinions from non-overlapping science people itt. I have basically no real network of professionals, as my old lab was, by the end, literally just me and my PI, and my PI did a really good job of repelling and alienating the rest of our department. I wasn't responsible or looking out for myself and my future, so you internet dorks are kinda all I have right now.

Dik Hz posted:

me posted:

Question about a pair of job postings I'm seeing. A large national biotech company has two different postings which have very similar job descriptions, but one is a senior associate which requires 5 years lab experience, and the other a scientist which requires 8 years. I have 6 years relevant experience. How hard and fast are these experience requirements, typically? And related, would an application for the higher up position potentially hurt my chances with the lower one, if they decided I was being uppity or whatever in trying for something they don't feel I'm qualified for? They'll both be almost certainly be interviewed by the same manager, as they're at the same location. I'd just be using the same cover letter/resume for both.

I guess maybe the resume scanning bot would toss out my app for one but not the other? I don't know how this works.

Scientist-level positions are almost always (in my limited knowledge) PhD level positions, so the opportunity to interview for one while only having a BS would be potentially a big deal and open up other possibilities down the road.

Apply only for scientist role. 6 is close enough to 8. The hiring manager won't dumpster your resume if they think you only qualify for the senior associate role; they'll phone screen you and ask you if you're interested in the associate role.

Titles are completely meaningless in biotech. What's a scientist I in some places is a technician in others. In some places, lab managers wash dishes and in others they lead teams. In my R&D department, research associate is a higher title than chemist, which makes no sense to me, but w/e.

Hooplah posted:

alright, thanks. I assumed they have the "traditional" associate/senior research/technician -> scientist hierarchy based on posting requirements i'm seeing, but would that title just not matter later on when theoretically applying for other positions which would normally require a PhD?

This is a question I'm struggling with a lot lately. I have no idea how much of a ceiling there is in biology based on level of education. I've heard there is, but I've only really had contact with academics who are all either in school for a PhD, or are doing postdocs. No idea whether to trust their opinions or what.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Normally everything in my lab smells terrible (except the phenol, mmmm phenol). Recently, however, I started a project using 2,3-butanedione. Now everyone is constantly confused because even just opening that bottle outside a fume hood makes the lab smell like butter for hours.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Someday all the NDAs will time out and I'll be able to tell all the research lab construction disaster stories I have.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Someday all the NDAs will time out and I'll be able to tell all the research lab construction disaster stories I have.

Just talk about your experience at Bold Fling Harbor, in Dr. Doe's lab. Or maybe you were employed by Visor.

Or just say "gently caress it" and keep it vague enough that we can't easily prove it was you. :haw:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

These would be med school facilities. To put it in perspective, the one I think I am most able to talk about, because a lot of the details are technically public, involves both a radiation leak and a suicide.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 18, 2019

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I'll take "Localized Temperature Variation" for $1000, Alex.

Calibration dudes just identified that we have a 3*C difference in temperature between the two sides of our T/%RH transmitter in one room. As-Found vs As-Left tolerance failure because last year's technician put his probe on the other side of the transmitter from this week's technician. There's some airflow fuckery going on right next to it.

I would never have thought to check that and just assumed it was a legit out-of-tolerance. :doh:

You know how if there's a cop behind you you get nervous even if you're not doing anything wrong? Cuz what if they notice something or you don't 100% stop etc. And then oops you can't find proof of insurance, now you're getting pulled into court. And anytime you got to the courthouse it's the same thing, better dress nice and not say the wrong thing, don't want to end up in jail for contempt. The justice system has a way of trying to fix every problem by applying More Justice. Which, once you're caught up in it, it can be very hard to emerge again, having a record for life etc. This results in some people (stereotypically poor) trying to avoid any contact with the justice system. Don't ever call the police, even if you need the type of help they're designed to provide. There's a similar in quality systems. The system is designed to bring things in line, and the way the system knows how to fix every problem is More Data. Until your lab is buried under a mountain of temperature probes. Maybe that's why the science poors (academics) try to avoid any type of contact with quality systems?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

You know how if there's a cop behind you you get nervous even if you're not doing anything wrong? Cuz what if they notice something or you don't 100% stop etc. And then oops you can't find proof of insurance, now you're getting pulled into court. And anytime you got to the courthouse it's the same thing, better dress nice and not say the wrong thing, don't want to end up in jail for contempt. The justice system has a way of trying to fix every problem by applying More Justice. Which, once you're caught up in it, it can be very hard to emerge again, having a record for life etc. This results in some people (stereotypically poor) trying to avoid any contact with the justice system. Don't ever call the police, even if you need the type of help they're designed to provide. There's a similar in quality systems. The system is designed to bring things in line, and the way the system knows how to fix every problem is More Data. Until your lab is buried under a mountain of temperature probes. Maybe that's why the science poors (academics) try to avoid any type of contact with quality systems?

While I agree in general, that's just a photo of the test they used to ID the issue. Our solution was to just put a note in the PM task list to always place the probe on the right side of the transmitter. :v:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I wish I still worked for QC so I could sneak that into some slideshow for a meeting but goddamn am I glad I no longer work in QC.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

How often do you guys wash your lab coat? Mine usually lasts about three weeks or so before it starts needing a serious visit to the washing machine, mostly to temporarily flush out the potpourri of Interesting Lab Smells.

(they've been promising us a professional laundry service for months but that has yet to materialize)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2019

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pikestaff posted:

How often do you guys wash your lab coat? Mine usually lasts about three weeks or so before it starts needing a serious visit to the washing machine, mostly to temporarily flush out the potpourri of Interesting Lab Smells.

(they've been promising us a professional laundry service for months but that has yet to materialize)

Usually when it starts to smell strongly of my... musky scent.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I don't wear a lab coat, how much of a heathen am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Some how empower* found new way to be bad. While making a report I wanted it to list only vials less than 13. I tell the report to do so and low and behold I only get vials 10, 11 and 12. I look at it dumbfounded and figured ok, maybe I have to use the between function. Again I o lay get vials 10, 11 and 13. Apparently empower doesn't treat all the data as numbers and treats part as letters. Eventually found a work around but seriously what the gently caress Waters?

* software used for chromatography in pharma land for the lucky ones here who don't use it.