Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

So I started reading (a friends copy) of Fire and Blood.

Got about a 100 pages in before I realised.

Wait. Why the gently caress am I reading 700 pages of fake history.

No sane answer coming to mind, I have abandoned this endeavour.

And just like the main series and Dunk & Egg, it's another Chapter 1 in another series of books that he'll never finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
honestly it was worth it for the cool part about the targ girl who went to valyria on balerion and came back all hosed up. book sucked but that was cool

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

ruddiger posted:

And just like the main series and Dunk & Egg, it's another Chapter 1 in another series of books that he'll never finish.

With Dunk & Egg he can always say - "and then nothing terribly interesting happened until Robert's Rebellion. The End"

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

GOT is very Trumpy when you think about it. A story about a governmentally incompetent group of meatheads who depose a peaceful, if flawed, ruling class via an implausible campaign and a completely faked heroic backstory of the installed ruler, who then proceeds to let the whole kingdom get raked over by lovely grifters and calamity while he indulges vices and complains to his friends about how nobody likes him.

Brandon Stark is Seth Rich
Renley is Jeb!
Littlefinger is Mooch

It all comes together.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Brandon Stark is Seth Rich
Renley is Jeb!
Littlefinger is Mooch

It all comes together.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Can't be, people actually like Renly

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
mushroom is a secret targ.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
also ive been rereading the first book and the scene at the inn in the crossroads owns.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

also ive been rereading the first book and the scene at the inn in the crossroads owns.

Ah, that is where the birth of my hatred for a character occurred.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Everything before the red wedding is loving amazing and only makes everything after it so incredibly disappointing in comparison.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Everything before the red wedding is loving amazing and only makes everything after it so incredibly disappointing in comparison.

feast is pretty awful, i'll admit, besides the brienne chapters but dance has some good moments.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Feast has Cersei as a POV character and is thus ballin'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok, I guess the line should really be Tyrion shooting Tywin.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Drunk rear end cersei doin dumb stuff is cool in the books and on screen

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

feast is pretty awful, i'll admit, besides the brienne chapters but dance has some good moments.

She certainly shat.

Perhaps I will do another reread of this poo poo series after I am done with Beacon 23.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Drunk rear end cersei doin dumb stuff is cool in the books and on screen

Yes those were the good parts of ADWD

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Feast owns b/c you don't have to read Jon or Dany poo poo, and Cersei is my kween

However I AM LOOKING FOR A MAID OF THREE-AND-TEN

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Are you talking about the scene where Cat takes Tyrion captive? It's a fun scene, but I will never understand why she did it. With Ned and her daughters at the capital surrounded by Lannisters she put them in danger. I thought she was supposed to be smart. Then again, ol' GURM has to get the conflict rolling. Might as well have her do something dumb.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
She's dumb as poo poo (classic Stark) but she's also filled with rage about Bran getting harmed and is sure Tyrion did it so it's slightly less ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She's dumb as poo poo (classic Stark) but she's also filled with rage about Bran getting harmed and is sure Tyrion did it so it's slightly less ridiculous.

Also the book lulls you into a false sense of confidence because the way Catelyn abducts Tyrion was incredibly smart and savvy because she read the room like a motherfucker and tooled his rear end spectacularly. It's only later after looking back that you realize you were seeing her principle character flaw in action: being savvy and right in the immediate moment, but disastrously wrong in the long run because she can't think ahead properly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dragging him off to her sisters place was the even dumber move

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dragging him off to her sisters place was the even dumber move

to be fair, she had no idea just how crazy Lysa was and it was a good move to avoid being followed by all the lannister bannermen.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Refresh my memory, where did the books leave off with Lady Stonebrain and that manly woman who had to say a word or something because ~reasons~?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Refresh my memory, where did the books leave off with Lady Stonebrain and that manly woman who had to say a word or something because ~reasons~?

Sword or noose is the last thing?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Sword or noose is the last thing?

And we are still to believe that Stonebrain is Ned's idiot widow? (Widiot)

I endeavor to do my reread whist in my cups.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

And we are still to believe that Stonebrain is Ned's idiot widow? (Widiot)

I endeavor to do my reread whist in my cups.

Lady Stoneheart is ultimately irrelevant and her subplot amounts to nothing because GRRM told D&D everything about how the story ends and they felt confident enough to not even bother introducing her in the show so who cares.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sword? Noose?

No...

Swordnoose.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sword? Noose?

No...

Swordnoose.

They already did that in book 1

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Lady Stoneheart is ultimately irrelevant and her subplot amounts to nothing because GRRM told D&D everything about how the story ends and they felt confident enough to not even bother introducing her in the show so who cares.

I am confident that the books that will never be written will pick up where he left off, and be completely different than the HBOmimation and things will be relevant again.

It is precious that you believe that gurm himself knew how the story was supposed to end before HBO got it. What is more likely is they told gurm that there were simply too many character plots and things had to be cut for the small screen. IE: Strong Belwas

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 29, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Strong Belwas

RIP to a legend

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He 100% stopped whatever tiny amount of writing he was doing when HBO got far enough ahead of him. He was making comments about how he wanted to change his own poo poo so it wasn't the same as HBO and then realized that'd take him 30 years to finish so he quit and is enjoying having money. Which is the right move.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He 100% stopped whatever tiny amount of writing he was doing when HBO got far enough ahead of him. He was making comments about how he wanted to change his own poo poo so it wasn't the same as HBO and then realized that'd take him 30 years to finish so he quit and is enjoying having money. Which is the right move.

I mean poo poo, at least he could pick one of his WILD CARDS authors to write it and he could dictate what happened plot/incest/rape-wise. He'd never have to punch another key in his life.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hasselblad posted:

I mean poo poo, at least he could pick one of his WILD CARDS authors to write it and he could dictate what happened plot/incest/rape-wise. He'd never have to punch another key in his life.

I've wondered if Ty didn't write the last two books.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

this dosen't really work though because D&D also cut out an entire invasion that literally landed in westeros.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

this dosen't really work though because D&D also cut out an entire invasion that literally landed in westeros.

Because Fake Aegon is also a wet fart of nothing that goes nowhere and wastes everyone’s time. You should have said Dorne. Dorne was also a pile of useless poo poo that did nothing that they kept in for no reason other than BAD POOSAY.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Because Fake Aegon is also a wet fart of nothing that goes nowhere and wastes everyone’s time. You should have said Dorne. Dorne was also a pile of useless poo poo that did nothing that they kept in for no reason other than BAD POOSAY.

at this point ive trained my mind to assume everything after season 3 is completely not related to the books in any way and it's working well so far.

seriously though, did they think people would like the bad poosay line?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The Bad Pussy episode won the Emmy for best writing that year.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The Bad Pussy episode won the Emmy for best writing that year.

This will never not be hilariously damning to the whole awards system

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

This will never not be hilariously damning to the whole awards system

In case you haven't seen it yet, this headache inducing pile of dog poo poo was nominated for best editing.

A scene where a guy sits down in a chair has more rapid cuts per minute than a Resident Evil movie.

https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?s=19

And yes, that's Littlefinger, as awful as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cersei POV chapters are the best part of A Feast For Crows and outweigh the awful and tedious chapters of Brienne looking for a maid of three-and-ten with auburn hair.

Cersei's Continuous Mistake was something I was really looking forward to seeing on television and they hosed it up, Ser Pounce never even got named to the Kingsguard and that travesty shall not stand.