Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

heeebrew posted:

I always wash all my gear in hot water for enhanced sanitation. Is this overkill?

I personally think it's required. Cold water wouldn't get rid of bad odor once I would start sweating again in my rashguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

heeebrew posted:

I sprained my right ACL last year, started wearing a brace, have been mostly pain free for past 2+ months, stopped wearing my brace and just re-hurt my knee this week. Ugh. Back to that brace life.

I was in a similar situation, low grade tear initially and my knee would be unstable only a few times a year so I didn’t wear a brace. Ended up tearing my ACL early December so embrace the brace or end up scheduled for surgery like me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Odddzy posted:

I personally think it's required. Cold water wouldn't get rid of bad odor once I would start sweating again in my rashguards.

I wash everything in cold water with a cap of eucalyptus oil in every load and never have odour issues

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was everything in cold water and only have smell issues if I overload the washer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wash it in the blood of my enemies

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I use detergent

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I cover myself in turmeric powder before every class.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

I cover myself in turmeric powder before every class.

Good prep for the traditional Holi no-gi tournament

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHf0mFkLqhY

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I ball all four of my gis up and just shove them back into my bag after each practice, picking one out at random each day to use. That lets the hard work and muscle memory seep into the fibers.

I wash my belt daily. I’m not some kind of animal, after all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Do you guys have schools that emphasis a judo style forward roll?

I saw online a lot of bjj vids recommend a forward roll by like reaching for your back ankle and rolling through. Here, they emphasize instead sort of forming a wheel with your arm inverted.

It's supposed to be better for when you get thrown, but I am having a bitch getting it down. I can do the reach one no problem though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you guys have schools that emphasis a judo style forward roll?

I saw online a lot of bjj vids recommend a forward roll by like reaching for your back ankle and rolling through. Here, they emphasize instead sort of forming a wheel with your arm inverted.

It's supposed to be better for when you get thrown, but I am having a bitch getting it down. I can do the reach one no problem though.

This post is adorable

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This post is adorable

I mean fill me in on what I am missing

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Here is a not very good version of the forward roll. The arm is the roll cage for your head, neck and shoulder. When you throw it under like that you're throwing away that protection. The arm also serves to orient your body as you're being thrown. Contacting the mat with the outside of the hand allows you some degree of control over how the rest of you lands. Pure bjj players are especially prone to this.

here's a pretty decent instructional that emphasizes the importance of the forward arm.

Judo players finish the roll differently than aikido or bjj. Judo players will keep the legs more or less straight and dissipate impact by using them like the arm slaps in backwards breakfalls. Bjj/Aikido players tuck the legs in because it makes you look like a ninja.

Watch a couple YouTube instructional, keeping aware of how they use the forward arm. Learning to breakfall is one of the most important fundamentals of grappling. You WILL be thrown off your feet at some point. I've knocked the wind out of opponents despite deliberately trying to put them down easy, because they didn't know how to breakfall. If you're feeling really lost then ask your coach, or any judo players at your gym.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean fill me in on what I am missing

just have someone do a drop shoulder throw or fireman's carry on you a few hundred times and you'll have it down

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Japanese judo name for the forward rolling breakfall is "zempo kaiten ukemi" if you're looking for videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMUSsQnFtWo

This video is a lovely video, but all the information is there and buddy has a nice breakfall. If you're practicing it as a breakfall, stick the landing and stay down. The roll is better for practicing being thrown insofar as it is a better simulation of the arc of a throw than a static side or back breakfall.

Most BJJ classes I've seen don't do anywhere near enough breakfalls - when they do them it's like uh, 4 back, 4 side, and some forward rolls that aren't really breakfalls, oh and we'll forget to do them next class. For comparison, we make our judo classes do 15 roll, 15 back, 15 alternating sides, and 15 front every class as part of the warmup.

I'm still not really sure what you're asking, Mel.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
And break falls are an important life skill. I’ve done them when falling off of bikes, skateboards and ice. It’s a an amazing motion to get ingrained in your brain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I'm still not really sure what you're asking, Mel.

Not really asking anything, just seeing if it was hard for other people too I guess because its a bit frustrating for me to get right right now.

I used to do breakfalls when I did Hapkido as a teen but I have completely lost it. Its funny because I can still reflexively nail the landing of the forward roll, I just gently caress up the actual roll. Fortunately I can still nail the back breakfall like a boss.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
My most practical life application of martial arts was when I was running in the park and got both feet snared in the worst possible way by an invisible cable. Breakfalls aren't something I've given a lot of conscious attention to and I wouldn't feel too comfortable teaching them, but I haven't ever really been hurt on a throw despite eating some big ones and I rolled through without a scratch that day when most folks would've eaten pavement, so guess I've gotten them down good enough.

The twin principles of "tuck your chin and otherwise relax once you leave the ground" + "don't post your arm, stupid" seems pretty sufficient for most intents and purposes, no?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Decades posted:

...The twin principles of "tuck your chin and otherwise relax once you leave the ground" + "don't post your arm, stupid" seems pretty sufficient for most intents and purposes, no?

For conscious thought, yes. The rest is instinct.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
First sparring session after Christmas break today. Transitioned from a failed triangle to an over-the-shoulder armbar in guard that I saw on Youtube just before going to class and got a tap. Felt like a god drat BJJ-pro after that!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

What exactly is the difference between "Gracie Barra" and "the Gracies"? Something about Carlos?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

heeebrew posted:

What exactly is the difference between "Gracie Barra" and "the Gracies"? Something about Carlos?

Gracie Barra is a school and The Gracies is a family.

Gracie barra is a network of schools that (I believe) are owned by the son of Carlson Gracie, Carlson Gracie Junior. I could be mistaken as I think he's also the owner of the Carlson Gracie school network. I might be confusing one of those schools with the IBJJF of which I also heard he was the owner. Basically he's behind a lot of aspects of the sport as far as I know. The Gracies is a big family of people that did Grappling in brazil and got famous for promoting their fights.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's Carlos Gracie Jr., the son of Carlos Gracie. Carlson Gracie is a different school.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

It's Carlos Gracie Jr., the son of Carlos Gracie. Carlson Gracie is a different school.

Junior owns the Carlson Gracie School network.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yah, Carlson Gracie Jr. does. Not Carlos Gracie Jr.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Those names are confusing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Here is a halfway decent lineage chart:
https://www.bjjee.com/articles/know-your-jiu-jitsu-lineage-non-gracie-lineages/

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The 10th planet team quintet thing that went up on YouTube three weeks ago then suddenly disappeared is back up. Not bad so far.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Odddzy posted:

Those names are confusing.

Yep

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

Here's the same thing from a different start, from my son, Craig Jones:

https://youtu.be/CRFYfSasVjI

I've been practicing this a bit during our warm up sessions and I like it a lot but I'm having a damned time getting my left leg into position to do the triangle, while not letting their left knee slip into a position where my control over it is lost. This is in gi and it works, but that left leg positioning is messing me up about 40% of the time I practice it. I've yet to get in a situation to pull it off during a sparring session but then again I get walloped a bunch during sparring these days.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Jerome Louis posted:

Doc confirmed it's ringworm, got some clotrimazole. I've had the worst luck in the past 30 days, injury then flu, come back and train for 4 days and now I have ringworm. Bad luck

I've been treating the ringworm 2x a day since I last posted 11 days ago and it's basically gone now. Doc says I *should* be good to train but I don't want to put my training partners at risk, even tho I've been "itching" to get back to training. How long have you guys taken off after ringworm? Think I'm good to head back?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Jerome Louis posted:

I've been treating the ringworm 2x a day since I last posted 11 days ago and it's basically gone now. Doc says I *should* be good to train but I don't want to put my training partners at risk, even tho I've been "itching" to get back to training. How long have you guys taken off after ringworm? Think I'm good to head back?

If it's not there anymore and the doc gives the go ahead I guess you're fine.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Odddzy posted:

If it's not there anymore and the doc gives the go ahead I guess you're fine.

There's just a slight discoloration on the spot like you get with a wound that's healed but it's not scaly or itchy anymore at all and hasn't been for awhile. I'm gonna head in and show my coach too and see what they say

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerome Louis posted:

There's just a slight discoloration on the spot like you get with a wound that's healed but it's not scaly or itchy anymore at all and hasn't been for awhile. I'm gonna head in and show my coach too and see what they say

You're fine. That discolouration will be there for like another 6 weeks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm out with loving ringworm too (on my calf). I'm taking terbinafine pills and also hitting it with topical antifungal ointment too. I caught it early so hopefully I'll be able to go back to BJJ soon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ailson Brites, the..head? Of our school system may visit on April 10th. 40 bucks to attend, I'm hyped.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So Firas put up this narrated roll of him vs a pretty elite wrestler and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. He just heel hooks this kid over and over again, save for maybe once when he guillotines him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqS01icVxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What do you feel conflicted about?