Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

gently caress him, I use my bandsaw for frozen meat. You can take my bandsaw when you pry my cold dead buffalo wings off it.

Bandsaws don't need no fancy electronical finger protection. If you do anything more than nick your finger with a bandsaw, you need to take up a safer craft, like pottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B-Nasty posted:

Bandsaws don't need no fancy electronical finger protection. If you do anything more than nick your finger with a bandsaw, you need to take up a safer craft, like pottery.

Bandsaws look so dangerous though!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

B-Nasty posted:

:colbert:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You need to put a little fedora on your thumb, name him Nick Fingers and do a noir safety video

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

That probably hurt, but if you were using a table saw, you'd be hitchhiking with your right hand.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bandsaw=Bestsaw. Hard to hurt yourself unless you really try (I’m going to cut my whole hand off tomorrow, I’m sure)

And drat that looks painful. Must have been a fairly fine tooth blade? I’ve always been scared a coarse blade would just start ripping chunks out and make an awful nasty cut.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

That probably hurt, but if you were using a table saw, you'd be hitchhiking with your right hand.

I agree, if it wasn't 1/8" deep I would have just super glued it and went on my way.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Bandsaw=Bestsaw. Hard to hurt yourself unless you really try (I’m going to cut my whole hand off tomorrow, I’m sure)

And drat that looks painful. Must have been a fairly fine tooth blade? I’ve always been scared a coarse blade would just start ripping chunks out and make an awful nasty cut.

Laguna lt18 with a 1" resaw blade. Not fine tooth at all but makes a clean cut :v:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Valid use case checks out:

I'm the power take-off meat grinder.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Anyone buy a Kreg Accu-cut? It totally looks like my cheapskate way to have a tract saw without spending the money on one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Cheapskate track saw is a 2x4 or level clamped down and circular saw

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Looks like somebody shook hands with danger.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I once danced with a table saw...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Oooh, can I join in on the "finger chewed up by saw" club?

This was my table saw's doing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I love that all our pictures are all:

"Who's the dumb rear end who stuck his finger in a saw?"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I was using my table saw a couple months ago and noticed blood on my workpiece. Looked over my hands and noticed a skin deep cut the exact width of the blade kerf. Still not sure how I managed that one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

I love that all our pictures are all:

"Who's the dumb rear end who stuck his finger in a saw?"

Someone photoshop that with only 1 thumb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Oooh, can I join in on the "finger chewed up by saw" club?

This was my table saw's doing.

Sup buddy?

I was ripping very narrow mouldings and didn't have much of the blade sticking above the work or this could have been much worse.

I also sanded two of my fingernails off one time on a huge edge sander! Luckily, I don't have any pictures of that.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 31, 2019

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Someone photoshop that with only 1 thumb

I’d buy that shirt.

My grandpa is 97, a life long woodworker, and still works in his wood shop everyday. He “shortened his thumb up a bit” two years ago.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

I’d buy that shirt.

My grandpa is 97, a life long woodworker, and still works in his wood shop everyday. He “shortened his thumb up a bit” two years ago.

Perfect chance to 'dad' him- tell him the old timers' board stretcher joke except make it a thumb/finger stretcher....

edit- let me just say in all sincerity that he's amazing to be able to do that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

MSPainted it

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Anyone else seeing that old video of the dude causing kickbacks on the tablesaw all over the internet today? Seems a bit odd the day before Sawstop raises their prices :tinfoil:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sawstop doesn't do anything to protect against kickbacks though, right? That's what the riving knife is for?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The video shows the guy "demonstrating" a kickback almost pulling his hand into the blade.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sawstop doesn't do anything to protect against kickbacks though, right? That's what the riving knife is for?

Correct.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Are we still doing pictures of stupid self inflicted injuries?

Here's one of the main reasons I decided to get a saw stop.

It's out of focus (sorry, it was taken with an old phone 8 years ago) but this was a result of me pretty much punching a table saw blade. I had my hand on a piece of wood above the blade, the blade kicked the wood out and my knuckles went right into the blade. Luckily I had a fence set up about 1" away from the blade so they only glanced across it.

16 stitches, no tendon or bone damage at all. I was lucky as poo poo, as well as loving stupid as poo poo. I could see the knuckle in my middle finger. That was pretty hosed up.

I'm WAY safer with my tools now, but as I'm trying to get my daughter interested in wood working as well, I figured I'd get the saw stop to reduce some of the danger anyway.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Someone local is selling a no name (at least that shows up on google) table press drill made in Germany in the late 90's. $50 or so for it. 300W, 600-2500RPM belt gearbox.
Bad idea or "how bad can it be for $50 so why not"?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At that price is it physically solid and does it have terrible runout, $50 is about as cheap as they get right?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey what’s a good oscillating multitool that won’t break the bank? Looking for sub-$100 if possible, corded or battery.

About to purchase a house and have a lot of small jobs that will need to be tackled.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hey what’s a good oscillating multitool that won’t break the bank? Looking for sub-$100 if possible, corded or battery.

About to purchase a house and have a lot of small jobs that will need to be tackled.
I have a cheap corded craftsman one that has never failed me. My opinion is it's the type of tool where the quality of the blade is gonna make more difference than quality of the tool.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Man, all these finger injuries from saws. That's why I stick to nice, safe things like assembling IKEA furniture

And re: oscillating tools, I ended up grabbing a corded Ridgid and it's worked well to cut baseboards and drywall, and remove excess mortar from tile joints. I think it was around $70.

dakana fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 4, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I've got a Rockwell one that was 90-ish on sale and is pretty rad.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The horrible freight one works great, and it's frequently a coupon deal for $25...like now: https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/VARIABLE+SPEED+MULTIFUNCTION+POWER+TOOL

I've beat the hell out of mine sanding drywall (and getting that fine dust in the motor), and it's still ticking.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Picked up a No. 6 Stanley off eBay for a bit more than I would have liked, but I think my collection is complete now (It never will be).

Talking to my dad about it, and he used to be a real yard sale and auction junkie in the 80's and 90's. He said back then widows were unloading sets of 10 hand planes for $5.00 because nobody wanted them then. Almost every sale would have a tool box full of them and he figured a good number of them would just end up in landfills because nobody ever showed interest in them. This is sort of like 70's audio equipment in the early 2000's when stuff that sells for $100-400 now was either going for $10 or going to the curb.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Slugworth posted:

I have a cheap corded craftsman one that has never failed me. My opinion is it's the type of tool where the quality of the blade is gonna make more difference than quality of the tool.

That’s what I’m figuring as well. The HF one looks decent and I can pick up one and some nice blades for the the price of a better one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slugworth posted:

i think this is generally a good rule but it's worth noting that some vibrate way more than others and ryobi and ridgid offer ones with heads that are able to change out or change orientation on. not sure if that's worth a premium but its something to consider

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Is there a big difference between an impact driver and a hammer drill?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes. One applies the banging toward the end, driving it into the surface. The other applies the banging in a rotary direction, driving the thing circularly. They have entirely different applications.

e: Hammer bangs in, impact bangs around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
AIUI impact drivers are basically for driving screws into standard materials without the cam-out you'd get if you used a regular drill, while hammer drills are for driving stuff into concrete and masonry and so on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I was utterly underwhelmed by Ryobi's impact driver pushing spax screws into fence panels & post. Couldn't do it, even with countersink help. Compared to their standard drill, it sucks. First time I'd used it on a heavy application since I got it last year in some promo deal Homey Depomey ran. Maybe that's not what it's intended for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was utterly underwhelmed by Ryobi's impact driver pushing spax screws into fence panels & post. Couldn't do it, even with countersink help. Compared to their standard drill, it sucks. First time I'd used it on a heavy application since I got it last year in some promo deal Homey Depomey ran. Maybe that's not what it's intended for.

yikes, that doesn't sound like it should be hard on an impact at all. Guess its a little beyond what Ryobi users are usually doing like stripping ikea screws. That is a shot at ryobi tools not users haha

You're talking like 1 1/4 too I'd imagine. Should just fly in with the countersink!?