Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PMush Perfect posted:

Sentai has always had about a 50% rate of if a series is good, but only one out of the last five? I can't blame them for going back to what works. "New talent but safe premise" worked pretty well for KR Black. I wanna say it also worked for Garo? But that's a second-hand opinion, I've never gotten through one myself.

Isn’t that part of why Power Rangers is doing Go-Busters rather than any of the newer Sentai: because they’ve had such a bad run with Saban that they need something relatively safe to adapt with their new team? Lord knows that the last thing they’d want to force on new writers in their first series is a team with twelve alien rangers. That and the last thing Hasbro wants to test a new property’s toyline on is cubes or trains when they have nice, safe transforming vehicles so close to their main toy franchise to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just sort of got the feeling that they really wanted to make "Cashgrab Sentai Persona5ranger" but it somehow turned into this. Like if you look at the show from the perspective that they just really wanted to strike on the Persona hypetrain but couldn't just completely rip it off wholesale and had to make changes for legal reasons, you can kind of visualize a roadmap where they get to this. People seem mostly to be upset because the Patren actors really do seem to give it their all but have little to work with. I sort of wonder if they were more the boring "smile and look pretty" types I'm used to seeing on these shows if there'd be as much rage.

I can't explain having a common linking piece between both mechs, though. God what a bad idea.

Geostomp posted:

Isn’t that part of why Power Rangers is doing Go-Busters rather than any of the newer Sentai: because they’ve had such a bad run with Saban that they need something relatively safe to adapt with their new team?

They're doing it because Bandai refused to allow them to do it before, and now they're gone, and someone on staff thinks they can make something good with it. That someone might even be Judd Lynn, and if he's freed from managerial demands (blatant MMPR cliche callbacks, fart jokes, etc) it could be another "Gingaman to Lost Galaxy" style super-adaptation, so people are curious.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 30, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Was Lost Galaxy actually good or am I just nostalgic?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I really did wonder about the Persona 5 vibe, complete with the art style of the little cards they threw at people.

Honestly surprised none of the SMT franchises have been made into live action tokus.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Lost Galaxy has a lot of great things about it, has one of the best non crossover finales in toku, and some of the more complex and interesting characters around. It was also SUPER ambitious

It's big failing was entirely stuff beyond their control where they tried their best to roll with the punches despite lovely set backs happening time and time again. Over all, it starts strong, has a meandering middle with some good points to it, and ends on a high note rarely matched before or after

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

coconono posted:

Honestly surprised none of the SMT franchises have been made into live action tokus.

Well, there's always Gaim if you want a live-action SMT. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

coconono posted:

I really did wonder about the Persona 5 vibe, complete with the art style of the little cards they threw at people.

But they made Gaim 6 years ago?

But a serious answer, they actually have!

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Devil_Summoner_(TV_Series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fTIJM1Oimw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

welp! to the torrentmobile!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's apparently godawful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't think LuPat can be called 100% terrible terrible tbh, it has enough redeeming factors imo. It seemed to me most individual episode reactions until we reached the now-rushed endgame seemed to be ]"Well that was fun, but the plot isn't moving is it?". If you go into it with zero expectations of the metaplot you will be entertained, this doesn't mean it's worth seeking out but you'll know you're gonna be entertained. And I also feel there is a really good ~20 episode recut of the show in all the footage that (likely) ends on a weakish ending.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Geostomp posted:

Isn’t that part of why Power Rangers is doing Go-Busters rather than any of the newer Sentai: because they’ve had such a bad run with Saban that they need something relatively safe to adapt with their new team? Lord knows that the last thing they’d want to force on new writers in their first series is a team with twelve alien rangers. That and the last thing Hasbro wants to test a new property’s toyline on is cubes or trains when they have nice, safe transforming vehicles so close to their main toy franchise to work with.

Honestly I figure Hasbro is doing a Go-Busters adaptation cause it will be an easy first line for them as that series has relatively limited amounts of stuff to make toys out of, after that is when we'll probably get a Kyuranger adaptation

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I figure Hasbro is doing a Go-Busters adaptation cause it will be an easy first line for them as that series has relatively limited amounts of stuff to make toys out of, after that is when we'll probably get a Kyuranger adaptation

Go-Bus also ties in a lot better with Hasbro's pre-existing properties and is pretty solid turf for their studio to work with in adaptation and just generally look solid. The only one that sticks out is Yellow's mecha but since it's the girl's it's fine. Kyuranger's mecha otoh, look godawful with the giant orbs sticking out everywhere and an adaptation of Kyuranger in general will all of what it has would be a big challenge to adapt despite being their second series.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

I watched Heir to the Throne again last week and it’s still amazing that there’s an episode of Power Rangers that’s almost entirely about Trakeena and very little about the Power Rangers (you don’t even see them until almost eight minutes in.)

There isn’t even a Megazord fight that episode, partially because there’s no footage of Scorpius but also because a random monster would just get in the way of the story. Talk about something Sentai could learn from.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Three years ago was Zyuohger, which is actually good (if probably the ugliest Sentai in history).

Zyuohger is the weird outlier since before it was the terrible Ninninger and mediocre ToQger, and afterwards were the mediocre Kyuranger and the terrible LuPat.

ToQger was mediocre? I thought it was a pretty fun show with good characters, villains and a rather unique plot. The Sixth ranger was cool and the color swapping gimmick felt new and fresh. The costumes themselves maybe were a little odd, and I can think of other nitpicky things, but not enough that I feel like it compares unfavorably to Zyuohger, which you note as good. And on that I definitely agree!

It did come at the end of the Gokaiger - GoBuster - Kyoryuger block though. I guess I see Gokaiger to Zyuogher as being excellent in general with the exception of absolute terribleness that was Ninninger. And I'm only starting at Gokaiger because I haven't seen Shinkenger or Goseiger, though I've heard the latter is mediocre at best.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The high point of ToQger were its villains and are probably some of the best in Sentai. Everything else about is was at least passable if not good to great. Zyuohger is around the same. The quality of the team vs. the villains are reversed where the villains are okay, but nothing to write home about and the team is relatively well rounded and characterized well. The mecha and supporting cast aren't as great though. Ninninger is definitely where a low point really emerges IMO. Ironically, the Mecha and the supporting cast are decently servicable if only in spite of the underutilization of the main team to help prop up Red. The villains are also a bit muddled.

Kyuranger and LuPat just sorta continue this nadir of quality where the former is just way too bloated and seem like an overzealous attempt to push toys, regardless of everything else an the latter seems to be a mess of writing. There were rumors that LuPat originally started as a Sentai about pilots which then morphed into what we have here and I'm intensely curious what was kept and what was changed during that concept process to make it so muddled. That there's also little to no attempts to try and reference one of the most well known anime series in the world (and where LuPat obviously took inspiration) is also a shame, though I'm sure the legal issues would be immense.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Zedd posted:

I don't think LuPat can be called 100% terrible terrible tbh, it has enough redeeming factors imo. It seemed to me most individual episode reactions until we reached the now-rushed endgame seemed to be ]"Well that was fun, but the plot isn't moving is it?". If you go into it with zero expectations of the metaplot you will be entertained, this doesn't mean it's worth seeking out but you'll know you're gonna be entertained. And I also feel there is a really good ~20 episode recut of the show in all the footage that (likely) ends on a weakish ending.

I'm ok with a show not really moving around until the final arcs as long as the final arc actually works. LuPat's problem is the final arc isn't working at all. It feels arbitrary. They've built these really complex interrelations between all the characters and aren't using them. Example, they setup a bit that made it look like Gauche and Noel had some kind of history that could have huge plot implications. Instead they ignored it, and wrote Gauche out of the show in the lamest way possible.

That said, LuPat has a lot of enjoyable episodes and can be reliably enjoyed from week to week. Not in a bingey omg what happens next kind of way. Even the dud of a final arc isn't unwatchable, unless your expectations are wildly high.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Xelkelvos posted:

The high point of ToQger were its villains and are probably some of the best in Sentai. Everything else about is was at least passable if not good to great. Zyuohger is around the same. The quality of the team vs. the villains are reversed where the villains are okay, but nothing to write home about and the team is relatively well rounded and characterized well.

One of the biggest problems I have with the Ganglers is Dogranio is basically Genis without any of the underlying creepiness that made Genis so goddamn good. They both just want to sit back, chill in their chair, have a drink and watch the carnage unfold, but Dogranio is so much more passive about it and does almost entirely nothing for the run of the show because gently caress it, he's retired, he doesn't care anymore.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Xelkelvos posted:

That there's also little to no attempts to try and reference one of the most well known anime series in the world (and where LuPat obviously took inspiration) is also a shame, though I'm sure the legal issues would be immense.

Honestly, a big problem about the Lupinrangers for me is they're not really cool phantom thieves most of the time. You hardly ever see them pulling off heists, or coming up with some scheme to get at a Ganglar. They had to be at least partly trying to ride the Persona 5 wave, but there's a reason people still think of the cast from that fondly while this team will most likely be forgotten soon enough.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Justin_Brett posted:

Honestly, a big problem about the Lupinrangers for me is they're not really cool phantom thieves most of the time. You hardly ever see them pulling off heists, or coming up with some scheme to get at a Ganglar. They had to be at least partly trying to ride the Persona 5 wave, but there's a reason people still think of the cast from that fondly while this team will most likely be forgotten soon enough.

Honestly, the only things they do that separate them from any other Sentai is that they regularly take things from the monsters. There was noise about them caring less about civilians early on, but that became a wash soon enough and they were either going out of their way to save civilians or just letting the other team do it for them. The series could have been about a morally ambiguous crew battling a just, but rigid one, but nope. None of that moral complexity or mystery here. Just one set of rangers calling themselves thieves as the stars and a group of cops that get really mad at them on occasion for some reason fighting the same generic monsters and swapping toys.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Episode 14 of GARO: Man the stern angry face that Kouga's actor uses has surprising versatility. You can feel him sulking about having to give up his ring dad. Also, at first I was questioning why Kaoru suddenly cares enough about Kouga and Rei getting along to go talk to Rei when he's definitely attempted killing her but after seeing that sweet painting I totally get why she thought it was the best idea ever.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I know we've done this topic to death, but I'm re-watching GoBus and it is absolutely absurd how much better these mech designs and fights are. This poo poo makes LuPat look like a drat parody series or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Potsticker posted:

ToQger was mediocre? I thought it was a pretty fun show with good characters, villains and a rather unique plot. The Sixth ranger was cool and the color swapping gimmick felt new and fresh. The costumes themselves maybe were a little odd, and I can think of other nitpicky things, but not enough that I feel like it compares unfavorably to Zyuohger, which you note as good. And on that I definitely agree!

It did come at the end of the Gokaiger - GoBuster - Kyoryuger block though. I guess I see Gokaiger to Zyuogher as being excellent in general with the exception of absolute terribleness that was Ninninger. And I'm only starting at Gokaiger because I haven't seen Shinkenger or Goseiger, though I've heard the latter is mediocre at best.
I agree, I loved everything in that block except for Ninninger. I like ToQger more and more over time too, the ToQger returns movie was wonderful and ToQ #6 may solidify as my second favorite 6th ranger eventually. He's at least my favorite Actually #6 Ranger, but if you take 6th ranger as meaning "extra ranger that joins in halfway through" then nothing will ever come close to Jin and J.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I agree, I loved everything in that block except for Ninninger. I like ToQger more and more over time too, the ToQger returns movie was wonderful and ToQ #6 may solidify as my second favorite 6th ranger eventually. He's at least my favorite Actually #6 Ranger, but if you take 6th ranger as meaning "extra ranger that joins in halfway through" then nothing will ever come close to Jin and J.

I still maintain while the Shadow Line as a whole is the best thing in ToQger, Akira himself is the best single entity in there. Dude is incredible. ToQger is great.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

I still maintain while the Shadow Line as a whole is the best thing in ToQger, Akira himself is the best single entity in there. Dude is incredible. ToQger is great.
It is, and he absolutely is. His backstory is super good, the way he he half-assedly renovates his train so he can use it is incedible, both of his gags ("this is my place to die" and chucking his weapon instead of actually using it) are top notch, and his contribution to the already great roll call pose is the best. Akira is a flawless character.

he's also super buff and handsome which does not hurt at all

EDIT: Thinking about 6th rangers and I remembered Balance and Naga also occupy the 6th slot and also Misao and gently caress 6th rangers have been so good recently. (Minus Noel but personally I like Noel I just think they just dropped the ball on his mystery.) Even if the overall series quality is peaks and valleys thinking about the characters makes me super happy and I disagree even harder that Sentai should take a break because I love it so they should keep making it for me specifically

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 31, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

coconono posted:

I'm ok with a show not really moving around until the final arcs as long as the final arc actually works. LuPat's problem is the final arc isn't working at all. It feels arbitrary. They've built these really complex interrelations between all the characters and aren't using them. Example, they setup a bit that made it look like Gauche and Noel had some kind of history that could have huge plot implications. Instead they ignored it, and wrote Gauche out of the show in the lamest way possible.

The absolute worst, I think, was having Keiichiro do some pretty good logical deduction as to who the identity of the Lupins was, even taking into account the very early episode where they suspected the Jurer folks only to get fooled by Kogure, and then him going "Wait but Red has the ability to split himself, and there's obviously some disguise master out there because of the woman identical to Tsukasa." And all that detective work...doesn't matter, because the Lupins voluntarily unmask themselves at the request of the villains! It was literally pointless because the exact same thing would have happened even if they didn't give any thought to the Lupin's identities (well, okay, from a writing standpoint, it gave them an excuse to do a clip show, but that's it).

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
After Noel and Keiichiro had their little scuffle, K-man should have at least tried using Noel as middleman to form some sort of alliance. For the token effort Kairi would have vetoed it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not even going to get into the premise of the lupins stealing poo poo for Kogure will get their loved ones back was pretty much dropped. Or they muddied that water with the Zamigo angle.

I felt like they were building towards Kogure being the Boss Gangler in human form but shied away from it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My theory for a while was that he was Arsene in disguise, having had to fake his demise.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PMush Perfect posted:

I gave it points for recycling the Starship Troopers armor.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Geiz Revive looked as sinster as Oma Zi-o didn't he?

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
So, I'm guessing Sougo obtained the Double Ridewatch in Heisei Generations Forever?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tragedienne posted:

So, I'm guessing Sougo obtained the Double Ridewatch in Heisei Generations Forever?
Yes! Movie Spoilers: He got the Double Ridewatch and the Kuuga Ridewatch actually, although he only used the latter while in the Time Mazine unfortunately. I wonder if he's gonna bust that one out too. The W finisher is absurd but kind of great, I'm glad he's using it rather than it getting written out of the canon.

Heisei Generations Forever was pretty fun overall. The first half was a little slow and it does involve a Movie Child but they're not so bad. They could've done more with the theme too, but it was still worth it for the back half which was basically them going "Have we hit our plot/dialogue quota? Alright, gently caress it, time to bring in everyone. The only major disappointment was -big spoiler?- Another Kuuga was a big gross buggy CG mess of a monster instead of being a proper Another Rider which is a drat shame since the Another Rider designs are so good and I was really looking forward to Kuuga's. Plus that means they had to fight him in a big CG battle which is usually the weakest point of these movies. Oh well.

Also The Major Cameo was really cool and emotional even though I haven't watched their show.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So I guess Build is everyone's Go To Kick rear end In 2 Seconds armor? First Sougo used it to trounce Geitz and now Geitz used it to trounce Sougo.

Quiz didn't seem to troubled by the time stuff going on, is he a singularity point or something?

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 1, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

So I guess Build is everyone's Go To Kick rear end In 2 Seconds armor? First Sougo used it to trounce Geitz and now Geitz used it to trounce Sougo.

Quiz didn't seem to troubled by the time stuff going on, is he a singularity point or something?

Check the fight properly. Geiz won not because of the Build Armour, but because Sougo wasn't fighting. He was defending himself from hits but never threw any. Sougo could've demolished Geiz if he pleased but decided not to.

About the second point, you could justify it in the fact that Another Quiz was just destroyed so his memories temporarily came back. They'll disappear again soon, but hopefully not soon enough to forget to tell his mum that his dad really loved her.

Actually, talking about Build, can I say I really appreciate how W and Build, the two-tone Riders, were used to face Quiz who has the same design? Neat bit there. Build is even more fitting considering the intelligence theme of this mini-arc.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Check the fight properly. Geiz won not because of the Build Armour, but because Sougo wasn't fighting. He was defending himself from hits but never threw any. Sougo could've demolished Geiz if he pleased but decided not to.

Yes, Sougo barely fought back. That's not quite what I was getting at.

But what I meant was armor choice.
When Sougo did it to Geitz back during OOO's they didn't have any other armors to use. So it makes sense for him to use build there.

Now it was Geitz "turn". On his own he has access to Ghost, Wizard, Drive, GenM and Faiz but he instead chooses to go for Build which he loaned from Sougo. And because Sougo didn't fight back properly the fight finishes in seconds again.

That's what I found amusing. So many armors, but he chooses the one that Sougo used to demolish him.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, talking about Build, can I say I really appreciate how W and Build, the two-tone Riders, were used to face Quiz who has the same design? Neat bit there. Build is even more fitting considering the intelligence theme of this mini-arc.

I didn't realize that. Neat!
Philip had all knowledge due to being connected to the Gaia Memories. You could argue that this also connects W and Quiz.

I was pretty fond of Quiz' suit. It's pretty lean and has a neat helmet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is terrifying.

https://twitter.com/SSJ3__Goku/status/1091137170407124993
https://twitter.com/SSJ3__Goku/status/1091139686586871808

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

omg the Ultraman back massager fits in the driver??

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactoryTV/status/1091432302763114496

JETTO
JETTO
JETTOMAN

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crazy how fast both Timeranger and Jetman got added to Shout Factory TV compared to their physical releases

Also hope they announce another pre Zyuranger season soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

What in the rip-roaring gently caress :psyboom: