Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Homeboy bought a $10k ring on a $60k salary?

Yes :laugh: and I put it on a credit card (which I immediately paid off because I had $ saved). I make no excuses for my BWM past and have posted a few examples ITT. I like to think I’m GWM now, which is why I get such perverse pleasure from reading about othe’s BWM mistakes.

And yes, :thermidor:

Residency Evil posted:

Must...resist...urge...to...selfpost.

Doooo eeeeet

E: i am such a shameful :snypa:

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's like that old saying,

"Buy the ring for the two-months'-salary you want, not the two-months'-salary you have"

Residency Evil posted:

Must...resist...urge...to...selfpost.

:justpost:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's like that old saying,

"Buy the ring for the two-months'-salary you want, not the two-months'-salary you have"

:justpost:

I thought it was 2 years, not months :shrug:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nocheez posted:

I thought it was 2 years, not months :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife's engagement ring is an "ice sapphire" which matches her eyes, and is cheaper than even a normal dark blue sapphire, which in turn is cheaper than a diamond. She married me so I guess it worked, and I spent like $450 on her ring and if I'd spent much more she probably would have been upset about it.

We've been together for 22 years now.

I'm not saying my way is the very best way but actually yes I am saying that, stop buying goddamn diamonds

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$3k of firearms (not covered)

Including a proper safe which they surely had to destroy to get at them?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

Including a proper safe which they surely had to destroy to get at them?

The safe and its contents remained untouched. I had been to the range last weekend and was lazy about putting a couple items back in the safe. I live alone so it's not the first (but certainly the last) time I've done this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This is the most miserable self posting derail ever. No one cares about your jewelry.

The guns I'm interested in though. What type of firearms did you lose that will soon be capping someone's rear end in a convenience store?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ruger GP100 357 mag revolver

Glock 26 9mm subcompact

Walther Q5 Match with Leupold DPP red dot sight

And a Sig Sauer P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm with threaded barrel.

Luckily they did not find/take the suppressor that was in a duffel bag next to it.

Oregon doesn't have a law that would criminalize me for failure to lock them up, but they DO have a law that would criminalize me if they were stolen, not reported, and used to commit a crime. The only time the cops seemed remotely interested in their visit to my house was when I told them I had guns stolen, and their enthusiasm was clearly because they wanted to see me get hosed.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Glock 26 9mm subcompact

Luckily they did not find/take the suppressor that was in a duffel bag next to it.

Oregon doesn't have a law that would criminalize me for failure to lock them up, but they DO have a law that would criminalize me if they were stolen, not reported, and used to commit a crime. The only time the cops seemed remotely interested in their visit to my house was when I told them I had guns stolen, and their enthusiasm was clearly because they wanted to see me get hosed.
lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eh, they're all mass produced and have no sentimental value. They could be replaced with money if needed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Did you leave your house unlocked as well, or just your guns?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They opened and climbed through a window nearly 8 feet off the ground and opened the front door from inside!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eight whole feet? Why, if they were in shape, they might have needed a milk crate!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Glock 26 9mm subcompact

Not securing expensive regulated items: BWM and BWL.

With a haul of handguns like that taken off your hands you'll probably have at least one death on your conscience sometime in the next 18 months. Also great job not locking up the suppressor; if they'd taken that you would be getting considered for federal charges of unauthorized transfer of an NFA item.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah yes my conscience is just riddled with guilt over my choice to be burgled.

Midjack posted:

the suppressor; if they'd taken that you would be getting considered for federal charges of unauthorized transfer of an NFA item.

:lol:

That's not how it works. It's only a crime if they steal my high capacity assault bullet buttons!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

Eight whole feet? Why, if they were in shape, they might have needed a milk crate!

Are you saying I should have been more cautious and kept my window further off the ground??

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you saying I should have been more cautious and kept my window further off the ground??

No, the general consensus by people who own guns as well as people who do not seems to be that, among many other things, you are an irresponsible firearms owner.

To everyone other than GGGC, please tell me if I'm misrepresenting you.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Anyone filing a claim for reimbursement from their homeowner's or renter's insurance should read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/43iyip/-/cziljy3

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

No, the general consensus by people who own guns as well as people who do not seems to be that, among many other things, you are an irresponsible firearms owner.

To everyone other than GGGC, please tell me if I'm misrepresenting you.

I keep all my firearms in a locked unit that only I have access to, and criminals would require extensive tools and time to open. Sounds plenty responsible to me. Tell your General Consensus they're stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I keep all my firearms in a locked unit that only I have access to, and criminals would require extensive tools and time to open. Sounds plenty responsible to me. Tell your General Consensus they're stupid.

Except that time you didn't and left them scattered around like a Doom level

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

all your firearms except the times when it counts, sure

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

At least no one got shot, that could be a pretty hefty lawsuit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

canyoneer posted:

canyoneer posted:

Read the post again

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm glad you got robbed tbh

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ah yes my conscience is just riddled with guilt over my choice to be burgled.

It should be, stolen guns are the fault of the legal gun owner who didn’t secure their weapons.

quote:

Criminals are stealing guns from legal owners in increasing numbers, fueling violent crime in America.

The source of the problem, experts say, is negligence on the part of many gun owners. Criminals are able to rob legal owners of their guns in many cases because their weapons are simply not secured in safes or lock boxes.

"It comes down to basic human responsibility," Occhipinti, the ATF official, told The Trace. "If a gun owner doesn't do what he's supposed to be doing, that obviously makes our job a lot harder."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The front door was locked, so in a sense his entire apartment was a safe, which was defeated. A real gun safe is also defeatable, and additionally often stealable unless it's enormous or set in concrete or some poo poo.

GGGC already admitted it was careless to leave his guns not locked in his safe for a couple days. Probably left them out because he wanted to clean them before putting them away. I'm not gonna say that was just fine and dandy, it wasn't; but on the scale of "leaves a loaded gun where their own kid can easily get them" and "responsibly keeps guns locked in a high quality gun safe inside a home with no children", GGGC is way closer to the latter than the former and the criticism ought to take that into account.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only time the cops seemed remotely interested in their visit to my house was when I told them I had guns stolen, and their enthusiasm was clearly because they wanted to see me get hosed.

Or possibly because the proliferation of stolen handguns may be correlated (in reality or in their minds) with the frequency that police offers are shot at.

Midjack posted:

With a haul of handguns like that taken off your hands you'll probably have at least one death on your conscience sometime in the next 18 months.

Statistically, no, not even close.

With the loss of three handguns, into a state with an average of around 450 handgun-related deaths annually (note: 75% were caused by handguns, but I'm ignoring that due to undifferentiated other stats), in a state with around 24% per-capita (55% of homes) firearm ownership which includes at least 61,000 registered guns and an unknown number of unregistered guns; GGGC will have a maximum of 0.02 gun deaths annually on his conscience. The real number is a lot lower because of the uncounted number of unregistered guns, but also complicated by the net inflows and outflows of stolen guns from the state, which is difficult for me to find numbers on.

The lesson to be learned here is that America is so absurdly awash in guns that adding three more to the pile is statistically insignificant.

To bring this back home to the thread, though: The Ruger costs around $700 new, the Glock around $600, the Walther around $870 plus the cost of the site, and the sig sauer is over $1000.

For economical home protection that's obviously overkill, and for target shooting I have to question the need for four handguns when one or two would suffice. The glock in particular seems superfluous. GGGC is BWM because he spends too much on his handguns.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The front door was locked, so in a sense his entire apartment was a safe, which was defeated. A real gun safe is also defeatable, and additionally often stealable unless it's enormous or set in concrete or some poo poo.

GGGC already admitted it was careless to leave his guns not locked in his safe for a couple days. Probably left them out because he wanted to clean them before putting them away. I'm not gonna say that was just fine and dandy, it wasn't; but on the scale of "leaves a loaded gun where their own kid can easily get them" and "responsibly keeps guns locked in a high quality gun safe inside a home with no children", GGGC is way closer to the latter than the former and the criticism ought to take that into account.

Or possibly because the proliferation of stolen handguns may be correlated (in reality or in their minds) with the frequency that police offers are shot at.

Statistically, no, not even close.

With the loss of three handguns, into a state with an average of around 450 handgun-related deaths annually (note: 75% were caused by handguns, but I'm ignoring that due to undifferentiated other stats), in a state with around 24% per-capita (55% of homes) firearm ownership which includes at least 61,000 registered guns and an unknown number of unregistered guns; GGGC will have a maximum of 0.02 gun deaths annually on his conscience. The real number is a lot lower because of the uncounted number of unregistered guns, but also complicated by the net inflows and outflows of stolen guns from the state, which is difficult for me to find numbers on.

The lesson to be learned here is that America is so absurdly awash in guns that adding three more to the pile is statistically insignificant.

To bring this back home to the thread, though: The Ruger costs around $700 new, the Glock around $600, the Walther around $870 plus the cost of the site, and the sig sauer is over $1000.

For economical home protection that's obviously overkill, and for target shooting I have to question the need for four handguns when one or two would suffice. The glock in particular seems superfluous. GGGC is BWM because he spends too much on his handguns.

All but the Glock sound like they might be fun to shoot though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tend to inspire self-improvement everywhere I go
My father taught me that you can learn something from everyone. He also said that that lesson is often what not to do. He was a public defender who defended murderers. Not sure why that seems relevant, but it does.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

therobit posted:

All but the Glock sound like they might be fun to shoot though.

The glock may have been the most fun to shoot! Their sights and ergonomics are love it or hate it, and I love it big time.

Leperflesh posted:

None of my guns are for home protection. They're all for target shooting at different distances and disciplines (note the full size irons, full size optics, revolver) or personal self defense (the sub compact). The superfluous gun is probably the p229 in the safe!

pikachode posted:

i'm glad you got robbed tbh

Burgled.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
your guns will not protect you

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What I'm getting from this is that this thread needs to travel to TFR next.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
age will break you down like a rotten dead tree, there is no machine that can wind back the mechanisms of time

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Eh, they're all mass produced and have no sentimental value. They could be replaced with money if needed.

The same is true with my schnauzers.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
the infinite has no central body mass for you to aim your lousy little pistol at

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

pikachode posted:

your guns will not protect you

Nor I them, it turns out

Haifisch posted:

Yes, YES

pikachode posted:

age will break you down like a rotten dead tree, there is no machine that can wind back the mechanisms of time

Sounds like somebody has never tried mixing ephedrine with caffeine

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Haifisch posted:

YES please. Many have 5-6 figures invested at least.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sounds like somebody has never tried mixing ephedrine with caffeine
i take only nectars of the earth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Cyrano4747 will ban everyone for talking politics. So yes, it's a good idea.