Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It looks so much like a redo of Kyoryuger except with less over-the-top energy. It's weird. Even the mecha they've shown has the blue and pink arms.

As far as immobile monstrosities go, LuPat may be a sign of things to come where their all-of-the-things mecha is now just a CGI robot with occasional cuts of individual weapons firing off or hitting the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GuyUpNorth posted:

Magiranger is also the source of infamous o-baka-chan-tachi screencap, but someone should have at least scrubbed it. Maybe proper new subs even.

Good news:

http://tinyhenshinsubs.tumblr.com/

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Shinkenger was my first sentai and it is Fuckin Great.

Gokaiger is probably my favorite, but that's mainly because I just really dig the main cast. Some of the episodes were a bit miss, because they take on a bit of the feeling of each of the sentai they're involved with, so like Carranger's episode is real goofy and Shinkenger's is more serious. Also, Gai is and always will be the best sixth member and I will not hear otherwise.

Also, tepid defense of lupat, I generally like what's going on in these last episodes, but the setup for this (most of the rest of the show) does not really make it worth it. I really wished they had foreshadowed the zamigo ending at all during the series, it came out of nowhere but also doesn't feel like a deus ex machina because it makes sense. I don't really know why they had to keep it secret that the cops' upgrades did a different thing. Keichiro is one of the better reds I've seen, and I really really liked the scene when he found Kairi stumbling around. The most unbelievable part of it was a cop who cares about other people :rimshot:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got the Build Watch, I don't have a driver so I can only make it make two sounds.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Episode 21 of GARO, I'm glad everyone is ribbing Kouga for being such a nerd who can't express his feelings.

EDIT: those drawings :3:

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nakamura is my spirit animal.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Finished Garo season 1. That was a really loving good finale. My problems stated earlier still stand but there's a heart to Garo that makes it hard to truly dislike.

Arigato, Garo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Finished Garo season 1. That was a really loving good finale. My problems stated earlier still stand but there's a heart to Garo that makes it hard to truly dislike.

Arigato, Garo.

Watch Beast of the Midnight SUn

Watch it watch it watch it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I finally got around to watching Eps 49 and 50 of LuPat and it was pretty good imo. I felt they coulda built up Zamigo a little more. I mean why was he freezing all those folks for disguises? What was the endgame there? He felt detached from the rest of the Gangler hierarchy. That said, the setup for his finale was a lot more impactful than Gauche's. The Lupin/Pat interactions had nice little callbacks. They spelled out the relationship between the thieves and cops a lot better. That part felt real. All that crying and heartfelt declarations of intent really spoke to me.

One thing I hated The trigger devices lock safes? oh ok. I don't think that was ever brought up before. Felt kind extremely deus ex machina. Really coulda used a spot where K-man kept locking a safe that Kairi kept trying to get into or something.

Speaking of motivations, I don't really get what Dogranio's doing. I guess when you run out of henches you gotta gently caress poo poo up yourself. But why? Just a simple "I'm punishing the world because Arsene Lupin stole from me" would put things into perspective.

coconono fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 5, 2019

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

coconono posted:

One thing I hated The trigger devices lock safes? oh ok. I don't think that was ever brought up before. Felt kind extremely deus ex machina. Really coulda used a spot where K-man kept locking a safe that Kairi kept trying to get into or something.

Honestly I loved that detail because it's just such a delightfully stupid asspull that somehow makes complete sense because sure, why not. I am completely down with this.

Also the Lupins straight up chillin' and meadownapping in Dogranio's safe space while the police are fighting for their lives against the greatest threat they've ever faced is so bizarrely hilarious.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Gokaiger is probably my favorite, but that's mainly because I just really dig the main cast. Some of the episodes were a bit miss, because they take on a bit of the feeling of each of the sentai they're involved with, so like Carranger's episode is real goofy and Shinkenger's is more serious. Also, Gai is and always will be the best sixth member and I will not hear otherwise.

I haven't seen Gai in action yet. But so far the cast is great. Doc is a hilarious fuckup who loves wrestling moves. Luka is kickass (and quite cute). Marvelous is Marvelous. Joe and Ahim are a bit flat compared to the rest, though Joe at least works with the rest.
But I do love how they keep swapping weapons to play to their strengths. It's such a simple thing, yet it gives them just that little extra personality.

I watched the episode (13?) where Ahim gets "kidnapped" yesterday and it was great. I couldn't stop laughing when the Gokaigers destroyed a garage door and ran into an abandoned warehouse firing wildly around them, at no one as Ahim, the kidnapper and the monster had already left.
Poor monster gets the blame for everything. :(

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Dogranio's entire deal has been "I'm bored, let's shake things up". Which makes the reason for nicking Gauche's pieces just bad attempt at making him really villainous.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The knight mooks look pretty good and I kind of like the mushroom girl(?).

Off the subject, I finally got around to watching Tokusatsu Gagaga, it's actually not that bad. Is the manga it's based on any good?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I love it when the generic goons get some accessories, but that neon mushroom person really seems out of place.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

The knight mooks look pretty good and I kind of like the mushroom girl(?).

Off the subject, I finally got around to watching Tokusatsu Gagaga, it's actually not that bad. Is the manga it's based on any good?

The manga, at least based on translations, seems pretty good. It's been running for quite a while now too

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Before zooming in I thought it was Gaim and Ex-Aid

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Dongangstaman's thing is that he used to be this kind of sick, evil bastard, according to Zamigo. Then he got complacent with his wins and just wanted to retire and let someone else run the business. After the organization took so many losses, and Zamigo kept taunting him with how he used to be, he decided to go back to his extra evil ways, showing that off by unceremoniously nixing Gauche.

The toys that lock locks was a dumb, but I did like what they did. Beating Zamigo was cool (heh), but it suffers from just not feeling like Zamigo had much of a reason to do anything. We don't know why he was getting the people for costumes since he seemed like he didn't want anything to do with the organization proper, and his whole "let's have FUN, Lupin Red (and friends)" was just... idk, it felt like a standard rival villain trait tacked on a guy with no real reason.

Still, pretty satisfying to see the Lupins finally succeed in their mission and now chill in another dimension. Now the police have to stop the dude with the hugest power level that constantly causes destruction on a scale beyond their reach.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Dongangstaman's thing is that he used to be this kind of sick, evil bastard, according to Zamigo. Then he got complacent with his wins and just wanted to retire and let someone else run the business. After the organization took so many losses, and Zamigo kept taunting him with how he used to be, he decided to go back to his extra evil ways, showing that off by unceremoniously nixing Gauche.

The toys that lock locks was a dumb, but I did like what they did. Beating Zamigo was cool (heh), but it suffers from just not feeling like Zamigo had much of a reason to do anything. We don't know why he was getting the people for costumes since he seemed like he didn't want anything to do with the organization proper, and his whole "let's have FUN, Lupin Red (and friends)" was just... idk, it felt like a standard rival villain trait tacked on a guy with no real reason.

Still, pretty satisfying to see the Lupins finally succeed in their mission and now chill in another dimension. Now the police have to stop the dude with the hugest power level that constantly causes destruction on a scale beyond their reach.

yeah that makes sense. I guess I like my villains with actual grievances they're acting out in totally inappropriate ways

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meanwhile in ZI-O, we seem to be back to Rider tributes as they just started a Ryuki arc (albeit featuring Ryuga instead of the genuine article).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Shushuttoo/status/1092790276622565384

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Man imagine playing a ton of giant robots for 40 years. Guy probably has grandkids that think it's the coolest poo poo ever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Man imagine playing a ton of giant robots for 40 years. Guy probably has grandkids that think it's the coolest poo poo ever.

Just the grandkids? Sounds like a pretty bad rear end job to me. Play pretend for 40 years and fall on fake buildings.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

imagine explaining your job on first dates. So much play.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just looked up the sheer number of roles that guy has played. Jesus Christ.

And while he is 61 and it’s gotta be tough to be a ranger suit actor and a giant robot, I wonder if it’s a sign of Sentai going on hiatus after all. On the other hand maybe it means less CGI if the computers had been covering for the difficulty of walking through explosions in a robot suit and hitting guys with a fake sword.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They had other people playing other robots, you know.

They have another person playing the robot in the Ryusoulger trailer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh I’m sure they have other suit actors, but this guy has been primary robot for close to 40 years and probably has held that role for tradition reasons.

X Emperor Slash is my favorite of the LuPat mechs mostly because it’s the most mobile and even blows old fashioned sparklers. I would appreciate seeing practical effects again, because superimposed CG fireballs erupting over them is getting tiresome.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
watching through the original terrace house and boy is the difference between oji and kuroto causing a huge disconnect in my brain

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I would absolutely do giant robot suit work if the offer came up. Shoot sparklers out my nipples and the all explosion stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's your cast.

E:

https://streamable.com/g2w1s

Here's your trailer

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That looks good. I'm hopeful.

Of course in the end it all comes down to whether kids want toys, but if they don't at least the show might quit on a good note.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/bingosatsu/status/1092999153309925376

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Christ, they're even giving Green the same reverse-grip swordplay Souji had.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Which add on Zord gets to be as cool as Bunpachy?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Christ, they're even giving Green the same reverse-grip swordplay Souji had.

His personality at least seems different.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So whats with the outfits? They look kinda medieval (Green seriously looks like a Link cosplayer). Are they supposed to be from the past like Zyu? I admittedly don't know if they've released any info about the premise besides "Dinosaurs" so sorry if I'm being dumb.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That trailer looks good as hell and I love how the mecha can actually move. And it's the actual robot and not just a piece of the final product like Ace or Shinobimaru (although the former did get to do much more than the latter.)

Red and Black are handsome, Pink's cute, and there's a grandpa. Only Pratfall McYoutube girl has me concerned now since she gave me Wizard's Shunpei vibes but she might be better in the actual show so I won't worry too much. Please be good Ryusoulger!!

Also!! Is this the first ever Sentai with Kanji for the full team name? The main name is usually in katakana right? I don't know of any others at least. They write it 騎士竜戦隊「竜装者(リュウソウジャー)」which is really neat!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

So whats with the outfits? They look kinda medieval (Green seriously looks like a Link cosplayer). Are they supposed to be from the past like Zyu? I admittedly don't know if they've released any info about the premise besides "Dinosaurs" so sorry if I'm being dumb.

They're Dinosaur and Knight themed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Tokuconnect posted:

Kou / The Brave Knight, Ryusou Red (played by Hayate Ichinose)
A young, talented man of the Ryusou Tribe who excels at combat. Kou is filled with curiosity and knows no fear. While preserving the temple in the Ryusou Tribe’s village, Kou studies as a squire under Master Red’s tutelage. However, due to the Druidon’s raid, Kou, Melt, and Asuna must leave their village behind.

Melt / The Wise Knight, Ryusou Blue (played by Keito Tsuna)
Though Melt is knowledgable and studious, Kou and Asuna are superior to him during training and he wants to change. With a photographic memory, Melt won’t lose twice to an opponent. However, when it comes to fighting, Melt is hesitant and takes a wait-and-see approach. He envies Kou’s straightforward approach to fighting.

Asuna / The Sturdy Knight, Ryusou Pink (played by Ichika Osaki)
A young woman, Asuna grew up in one of the Ryusou Tribe’s noble households. Asuna is very intuitive, though she lacks timing and often says things at the wrong time. Although she is physically the strongest amongst the Ryusoulgers, as a woman, Asuna is extremely embarrassed about this fact.

Towa / The Gale Knight, Ryusou Green (played by Yuito Obara)
Another young, talented man, Towa refuses to lose to Kou when it comes to being talented. Though no one can beat Towa’s agility, deep down he’s kind-hearted and prefers pacifism, which is why he refuses to fully demonstrate his abilities and holds back. Towa is the younger brother of Banba, and he will always listen to his older brother.

Banba / The Majestic Knight, Ryusou Black (played by Tatsuya Kishida)
A man whose battle prowess has already reached the ‘master level’, Banba is the oldest member of the Ryusoulgers and Towa’s older brother. Although he can already be considered a master warrior, Banba fights against the Minosaurs more to prove his own strength rather than only for the sake of the Earth. Unfriendly to most people, except to his precious little brother, Banba isn’t the type to show his feelings.

The cast also includes the Ryusoulgers’ allies Mana Kinjô as Ui Tatsui and Mitsuru Fukikoshi as her father, the paleontologist Naoki Tatsui. Masaki Terasoma (Kamen Rider Den-O’s Kintaros) will voice Tyramigo while Jouji Nakata (Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger’s Azald) and Ryoko Shiraishi will voice the Druidon generals Tankjoe and Cleon respectively.

The theme song for the series is aptly called “Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger”, it will be performed by Tomohiro Hatano, who previously sang Uchu Sentai Kyuranger’s theme song LUCKYSTAR. After being absent in Kaito Sentai Lupinranger VS Police Sentai Patranger, the dance ending returns; “Kebone Ryusoulger” will be performed by Sister Mayo, who previously performed Mahou Sentai Magiranger’s ending theme Jumon Kourin~Magical Force.

The previously announced crew includes Toei producers Shinya Maruyama (live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) and Kazuhiro Takahashi (Kamen Rider Ghost), chief writer Junpei Yamaoka, and head director Kazuya Kamihoriuchi (episodes of Kamen Rider Build & its movie Be the One).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dancing!

Also doing a dance because the last episodes of Ultraman R/B are subtitled by the ColorSubs crew. Now I can find out if the earth finally gets blown up or not.

coconono fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 6, 2019