Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Impressive how many ways that's bad. And it's not like there's not a good poster to use:

Great movie either way, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fart City posted:

Harold is such a weird outlier in that series. Like a lot of it is kind of silly and comedic (complete with prompts to shout or make loud noises, because its meant to be told aloud), but you have Harold and it's this really dark and kind of visually intense story that is unlike anything else in the trilogy of books. I'd argue that it's the only story that can actually truly hang with the artwork in feeling like it's absolutely not meant for children.

Yeah, I remember my teacher reading that story to the class when I was around 10 and it stuck with me ever since.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

(Re: the spoilered First Reformed poster that I'm not going to even quote) Wow, that's terrible. Honestly so much so that I'm pretty sure I would've disliked the movie had I seen that first.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the dvd/br cover sucks rear end too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw the NZ iTunes cover for First Reformed and it's horrible (and a spoiler)

edit: Eww. It's the actual Aus physical cover.
ee: Some international posters too.
Eh, I don't think it spoils anything. It just conveys that there's a light and dark side to Father Toller. Someone seeing that cover could think "Oh, so it's about a priest battling with dark thoughts." I don't think they'd be able to predict the entire plot of the movie from it. It's better than this one

Sir Kodiak posted:

Impressive how many ways that's bad. And it's not like there's not a good poster to use:

which only really conveys that it's about a priest.

I think more people would be willing to give it a chance if they saw that international poster. I could easily see people seeing the US poster and assuming it's some religious movie and writing it off. But it's a jaw-droppingly stunning film and shouldn't be written off.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The main issue is that it looks like poo poo.
The way they made the "light side" to his face is crazy, and the application and shading of the jacket is a bit of basic bad photoshopping.

I'd definitely be a little less inclined to see it if that would have been my first exposure to the movie.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

There isnt a convo to have. No one should watch the super bowl
ftfy

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

which only really conveys that it's about a priest.

Nah, it's a priest in a world on fire, which is plenty. And, as pointed out, it doesn't look like garbage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's probably just subjective, but like if I were to recommend that movie to one of my non film buff friends and the first thing they saw was the poster, I feel like the international one would do more to interest them more than the US one :shobon:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's probably just subjective, but like if I were to recommend that movie to one of my non film buff friends and the first thing they saw was the poster, I feel like the international one would do more to interest them more than the US one :shobon:

Yeah, I think this is a difference in what we're talking about. I don't care how successful A24 is at selling their movie and if I recommend it to my friends they can judge their interest based on my words. I like cool artwork and the poster I posted, to me, better captures the contemplatives and artfulness of the movie.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This image will be better than whatever the Gambit movie ends up being.

Edit: which apparently got shitcanned earlier today!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:vince:

Hahahahahaha

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...so is this a remake of the 2000 Shaft starring Samuel L Jackson? Or a sequel? :thunk:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

...so is this a remake of the 2000 Shaft starring Samuel L Jackson? Or a sequel? :thunk:

Neither movies are remakes. The first one was about the son of original Shaft, and this new one also has his grandson.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

John Shaft the third!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that three of the five movies in this series have the same name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Neither movies are remakes. The first one was about the son of original Shaft, and this new one also has his grandson.

Samuel L Jackson is only 6 years younger than Richard Roundtree.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is that a Lady Shaft

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw the Jackson one a few years back. I didn't catch that it was a direct continuation. Looking it up, he's supposed to be Roundtree Shaft's nephew.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Samuel L Jackson is only 6 years younger than Richard Roundtree.

Jackson Shaft isn't Roundtree Shaft's son, he's his nephew.

Which thinking about it, is still weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kelsey Grammer was 9 years younger than John Mahoney.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The actress playing Glass's mother in Glass and Unbreakable is actually younger than Sam Jackson.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The actress playing Glass's mother in Glass and Unbreakable is actually younger than Sam Jackson.

Hah, true enough.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hah, true enough.

She mostly appears in flashback in Unbreakable so it’s not really that weird

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shaft: Shaft V

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

morestuff posted:

She mostly appears in flashback in Unbreakable so it’s not really that weird

Right, I assume that's the joke.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kelsey Grammer was 9 years younger than John Mahoney.

I do enjoy the fact that John Mahoney, David Hyde Pierce, and Dan Butler (who played Bulldog) were all gay. Kelsey Grammer was the only straight man in the main cast, I don't think there are many shows like that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really should give Shaft in Africa another shot, but from memory my ranking of Shaft movies is easily 4 > Big Score > 1 > in Africa

Apropos of nothing, there are also 4 Super Fly movies, and my ranking for those is T.N.T. > 1 > The Return of > 4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

(2011)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eh, I don't think it spoils anything. It just conveys that there's a light and dark side to Father Toller. Someone seeing that cover could think "Oh, so it's about a priest battling with dark thoughts." I don't think they'd be able to predict the entire plot of the movie from it. It's better than this one

nah i'm pretty sure showing him wearing the suicide vest is a pretty massive spoiler.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
:vince:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Probably one of the best posters of the decade imo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

nah i'm pretty sure showing him wearing the suicide vest is a pretty massive spoiler.
I mean that does happen in the movie, but I doubt anyone who hasn't seen it could predict exactly how the movie goes.
lmao :golfclap:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Schindler would be looking to murder him rather than save him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He's a complicated man.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fart City posted:

Harold is such a weird outlier in that series. Like a lot of it is kind of silly and comedic (complete with prompts to shout or make loud noises, because its meant to be told aloud), but you have Harold and it's this really dark and kind of visually intense story that is unlike anything else in the trilogy of books. I'd argue that it's the only story that can actually truly hang with the artwork in feeling like it's absolutely not meant for children.

Definitely not a child friendly story. Definitely not.

Harold Ending posted:

Neither one wanted to go back for them, but the stools would cost a lot to replace. "There really is nothing to be afraid of," they told one another. "After all, what could a doll do?"

They drew straws to see which one would go back. It was Thomas. "I'll catch up with you," he said, and Alfred walked on towards the valley.

When Alfred came to a rise in the path, he looked for Thomas. He did not see him anywhere. But he did see Harold. The doll was on the roof of the hut again. As Alfred watched, Harold kneeled and stretched out a bloody skin to dry in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My comment about First Reformed is to watch it with as little knowledge about it as possible