Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilMerlin posted:

This looks... wrong.

Plus you would think the General would be using the new M17's.

CASCOM is probably pretty far down the list for new gear.

In related news I just learned this week that the new pistol ammo is hollow point. That is a pretty big shift after over a century of not but ball. I await the legal analysis of Hague Convention and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

Plus you would think the General would be using the new M17's.

Something about this comment strikes me as peak air force

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

EvilMerlin posted:

Because now people think they can get free stuff. Discounts. Handouts and what not... because people suck.

A few years ago my family and I went to a shoe store in new Jersey. They had a big sign, "10% veteran discount!" My wife said I should I should say something and get the discount, even though I'm usually embarrassed to do so.

The clerk gave me all sorts of grief. I didn't have any way to prove to her satisfaction that I was a veteran, because my driver's license - Colorado - didn't have a "Veteran" logo on it. (It does not, this is new.) I didn't want to strip off my shirt and show my USMC tattoo (hey, I was 18) or dig up photos of myself in uniform on my phone, and it's not like I carry my DD214 with me, so I just gave up and paid regular price for the shoes. The whole experience was weird and very off-putting. I don't even ask for veteran discounts, I don't like the whole thing anyway.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was going to say the shot might have been taken after he fired and he was in mid stance or moving to adjust his aim?

There's spent brass about a foot above the pistol in both photos.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Same it's such a hassle and seems attention seeking, for....not really that much money saved?

Oh gee, save two dollars off dinner.

Thanks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cessna posted:

There's spent brass about a foot above the pistol in both photos.

Well uh

I am sure the dude does admin stuff better?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phanatic posted:

He's doing everything wrong.

Maybe he's a fake general

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grumpyfuck1 posted:

Air Force goes to war- hilarity ensues

For those readers that aren’t familiar with the military here is some background. All the military services specialize in their own competencies and they all think that they are the best. This propagates interservice rivalry and with that comes the shaming of each other over the perceived weaknesses. For example, Air Force would use the expression “make it Army proof” meaning to make the task easy enough for a 12 year old to understand and not hurt themselves in the process. It doesn’t take the ASVAB score of a rocket scientist to qualify for infantry. The Army bags on the AF for sins such as lower fitness standards and being the “chairforce” since they don’t have to run around the wilderness to do their job which usually has something to do with an aircraft. That means air conditioned work center with internet and yes even a chair. This is fun stuff that can be used to break up the monotony. Now on to the story.

It is several weeks after 9/11 and I’m in the AF waiting for the inevitable call. It takes about 45 days for the large conventional units to start flowing towards the Middle East. We finally get the 12 hour alert so of course everything goes charlie foxtrot immediately. All our poo poo had to be prepped for a C-5 transport and we would RON in Europe. Of course all the logistics of what we needed to ensure our playstations would be operational in an austere environment needed to be worked out. We even needed to take rifles which were not common for AF at the time. Knowing we would have at least one night in Europe (probably more because it was a C-5) we knew that an overnight bag was a must and most of us had the roller carryon type suitcase which was awesome. Finally, we go wheels up and make it to Spain. As luck would have it there was no room at base lodging so we were shipped off to a very nice hotel in town. Nice start to a war.

Next day all stragglers are rounded up by the less hung over ones and we make it to the airfield. As soon as we get to the aircraft rifles will be issued since our next stop will be in a place that did not give us permission to land. The rifle cases are opened and what a sight. They were the Vietnam era M16A1’s. Yes they had no forward assist and even the three pronged muzzle breaks. We all looked like extras for the movie Platoon. Oh well OK so where are the slings? Yeah the weapons custodian forgot to ask for them. Can we get ammo? They gave us 4 empty mags each, but we didn’t have any rounds either. So we had clubs in case of any trouble. Also we had to use parachute chord (similar to shoelace string) as slings to at least get us off the plane.

Get airborne and arrive at our new home for the foreseeable future several hours later. Turns out that the Army was kind enough to liberate the airfield we would be using and a security company was on hand to greet us. We grabbed our overnight bags and slung our rifles to start deplaning. A few feet after I reached the tarmac I noticed that all the activity in the general area had ceased and every Army infantryman’s eyes were locked on us. Then I realized why. These guys were witnessing something unbelievable. A group of AF had just landed in a war zone with roller suitcases in all colors of the rainbow and their POS rifles slung with string. I could feel the squinty eyes of disdain. I would have given anything to witness the interaction when my unit made the ammo request from the Army because we forgot ours. I’m sure there are Jody calls at Army basic training about us to this day. We handed the Army much shaming material that day.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

bewbies posted:

CASCOM is probably pretty far down the list for new gear.

In related news I just learned this week that the new pistol ammo is hollow point. That is a pretty big shift after over a century of not but ball. I await the legal analysis of Hague Convention and whatnot.

Yeah I was just reading about that...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am sure the dude does admin stuff better?

Probably.

Also, if you're a General, no one is going to correct your weird shooting stance.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

hypnophant posted:

Something about this comment strikes me as peak air force

We won't be getting M17's for a LONG time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cessna posted:

Also, if you're a General, no one is going to correct your weird shooting stance.

This is also very true.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thalantos posted:

Same it's such a hassle and seems attention seeking, for....not really that much money saved?

Oh gee, save two dollars off dinner.

Thanks.

Yeah.

I used my GI Bill, but beyond that I really haven't taken a lot of VA benefits. I've never filed a claim for my hearing loss, used regular financing (no VA Home Loan) for my house, nothing. I don't want discounts. It just feels weird, and beyond talking on dying comedy message boards it's a part of my life I'd just rather forget.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/status/1093127840042795008

Is this alarming in any way

I mean beyond the general "it's alarming that nuclear weapons exist" sense

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Thalantos posted:

The higher ranking the dumber they get.

During pre deployment i once saw my BC take out his pistol and stare down the barrel. We didn't have ammo at the time, but jesus, wtf are you doing?!

The burden of command

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

We won't be getting M17's for a LONG time.

Not specifically m17s, but the idea that higher ranks would get the newest equipment before, you know, the guys doing the fighting

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

The M16A1 never had a three prong flash suppressor. It was the first with a bird cage.
The M16A1 added the forward assist.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zoux posted:

I mean, if they’re shooting off rockets with nuclear warheads, even if those warheads aren’t armed, that does seem like it could cause a problem in that we usually like for fissile material to have a pretty constant chain-of-custody?

:v:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

hypnophant posted:

Not specifically m17s, but the idea that higher ranks would get the newest equipment before, you know, the guys doing the fighting

I thought there were quite a few active Units that already were issued the M17's?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

we knew that an overnight bag was a must and most of us had the roller carryon type suitcase

I lost it right there.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, if they’re shooting off rockets with nuclear warheads, even if those warheads aren’t armed, that does seem like it could cause a problem in that we usually like for fissile material to have a pretty constant chain-of-custody?

Don't really understand the big deal.

This is a regular occurrence.

The USAF did it in August, April of 2018 and a few times in 2017 too...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

It's impossible to tell what I'm supposed to be worried about from the news, they were making a huge deal about the INF too. I know it's more of a DnD issue but some guy over there told me last week that the North didn't give a poo poo about ending slavery and only started the ACW to preserve the union so I don't trust them.

EvilMerlin posted:

Yeah that's what I figured

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

These launches were almost certainly planned and announced a while ago (I know the US one was at least). So, it isn't dick waving around the INF treaty collapse or anything.

That said we will probably see some dick waving pretty soon even though the US has a tiny dick in this particular capability set.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cessna posted:

I lost it right there.

Those are pretty common for the Army now. Not pictured here, but this is how one guy got around the limit on how many bags you can bring. If it's not obvious, the duffel on the left front is about a third larger than a standard duffel.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

I thought there were quite a few active Units that already were issued the M17's?

There are some but, as bewbies pointed out, CASCOM is not likely to be among them

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

hypnophant posted:

There are some but, as bewbies pointed out, CASCOM is not likely to be among them

Good point.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SimonCat posted:

Those are pretty common for the Army now. Not pictured here, but this is how one guy got around the limit on how many bags you can bring. If it's not obvious, the duffel on the left front is about a third larger than a standard duffel.

Man, my experience is so out of date.

I feel like I should be sitting on a porch muttering about You Kids and yer Rifled Muskets, in my day we had smoothbores and we liked 'em.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

Man, my experience is so out of date.

I feel like I should be sitting on a porch muttering about You Kids and yer Rifled Muskets, in my day we had smoothbores and we liked 'em.

Don't remind me. I'm loving old now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EvilMerlin posted:

“Unarmed nuclear missiles” is a tremendously poor choice of term. I am continuing :thejoke: by pretending that these are actually missiles being launched with un-fused nuclear warheads and not rockets without nuclear warheads.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They found the Japanese Battleship Hiei

Here's what it looked like from a B17 trying to finish off a badly damaged Hiei leaking oil with a stuck rudder

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Air Force goes to war- hilarity ensues

This will never get old:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've got a friend who lives down in Colorado Springs. He's an Air Force officer, does some sort of spooky electronic warfare stuff with NORAD. A while back we were down at his house with a bunch of other friends, kids playing outside, barbecue, a good time. He pulled me aside and said "I've got something in the garage I need a hand with." Sure, I thought, he's a car guy, I'm there.

But when I got there he had a tent out. Just a plain camping-style tent in the middle of the floor. He asked, "so how do you work this thing?"

Huh?

"The tent. How do you set it up?"

Here's a career officer type, getting ready to retire from the USAF, and he didn't know how to work a tent. After ROTC he'd never spent a night outside. Not one.

I asked him, "so what did you do when you were deployed?"

He looked at me like I was dumb. "We got hotel rooms, what did you do?"

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

EvilMerlin posted:

The M16A1 never had a three prong flash suppressor. It was the first with a bird cage.
The M16A1 added the forward assist.

This is mostly true, but some early A1s still had the pronged flash hiders.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Since the M17 came up, I’ve read a lot about the M9 and how everyone hates it, but also that most people hate it because they shot horrible worn out army issue garbage. I got to shoot an M9 at a range one day (one of the few times I ever really went shooting, guy had a whole collection of everything from the M9 to the MG42 we could shoot, owned) and honestly the M9 felt great to me, light and super accurate, especially compared to the 1911 I also shot.

Was it really lovely or just kind of urban legend’d into being unverisally disliked?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

This will never get old:

The chairforce needs more coloring books!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

Since the M17 came up, I’ve read a lot about the M9 and how everyone hates it, but also that most people hate it because they shot horrible worn out army issue garbage. I got to shoot an M9 at a range one day (one of the few times I ever really went shooting, guy had a whole collection of everything from the M9 to the MG42 we could shoot, owned) and honestly the M9 felt great to me, light and super accurate, especially compared to the 1911 I also shot.

Was it really lovely or just kind of urban legend’d into being unverisally disliked?

I didn't really know people disliked it? Every one I was ever given worked as intended despite my constant abuse and despite looking like they'd been recently unearthed at gettysburg. That said I've only ever fired one other kind of pistol and I'm also a really bad shot so my opinion may not be particularly well informed.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mazz posted:

People issue complaints louder than compliments. Most people don't care and very few people who are in now ever used a 1911. I own both (ok, a 92FS and a Springfield Armory MilSpec) and either are fine pistols. I like having extra rounds of an M9 and it's simpler to disassemble, but for the vast majority of people issued an M9 will never fire it outside of once a year at the range. I like it because it's easier than carrying an M4 with me everywhere.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mazz posted:

When it first came out - '88 or so - there were a couple of well-publicized accidents where the slide broke, seriously injuring the shooter.

I don't know the full details here, or even if there were really WERE accidents, but rumors flew HARD at the time. This led to a lot of dislike and distrust of the pistol.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The talk about the veterancy and effectiveness of individual soldiers has me wondering about a the same idea zoomed out. Do the major military powers make an effort to expose units to combat experience with the idea that it is beneficial to their effectiveness? Do, say, the US army planners go, "This unit has been in Korea for 20 years, lets send them to Iraq for some real-world experience?" I think I feel like that was definitely a thing in the past, but I can't tell how distorted that view might be from fictional sources. I suppose I'm curious about any time-frame in history through the present and how the idea might have evolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cessna posted:

When it first came out - '88 or so - there were a couple of well-publicized accidents where the slide broke, seriously injuring the shooter.

I don't know the full details here, or even if there were really WERE accidents, but rumors flew HARD at the time. This led to a lot of dislike and distrust of the pistol.

has any weapon system ever been introduced and the guys using it were immediately like hey this thing rules compared to our old poo poo

BAR vs Chauchat maybe?