Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is it ibjjf legal to knee reap a mountain lion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What are some good escapes from side control? My only classes covering it thus far were my literal first week training, so I don't remember anything.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Frame bump shrimp

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shadow225 posted:

What are some good escapes from side control? My only classes covering it thus far were my literal first week training, so I don't remember anything.

Well first you grab the lion and...

Oh wait, you were talking about versus people.

I put pressure on the chin and neck and make space to bring in a knee

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

My tried and true is always to prevent the cross face, pass that arm to the far side and shove the elbow then sit up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shadow225 posted:

What this guy says:

ICHIBAHN posted:

Frame bump shrimp

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I would easily defeat the mountain lion as I outweigh it by like a hundred pounds and am trained in combat arts the animal is unlikely to be familiar with. my main concern are the uuh various knives equipped on the creature's mouth, hands, feet

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Kimura that big kitty.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Apparently the only way to kill a lion is by Rear Naked Choke. Personally I'd just kick it in the head." - Bas Rutten

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

When my cats play fight (which is all the time) they go absolutely porrada and tackle each other off tables and into walls and poo poo. Would not want to fight a big cat

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

When I lock the cats out of my bedroom at night, it sounds like there is an intruder in my house, at all hours, breaking poo poo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

My tried and true is always to prevent the cross face, pass that arm to the far side and shove the elbow then sit up.

I use this one and mix it with various bridging or guard recovery manouvres.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Tap?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Frame bump shrimp

This and drill drill drill.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

When my cats play fight (which is all the time) they go absolutely porrada and tackle each other off tables and into walls and poo poo. Would not want to fight a big cat

I have two cats and I love watching them grapple. Naturals at using their hips and legs.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I absolutely hate that I know this term.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I absolutely hate that I know this term.

for grappling thread trivia night: the porrada video guy that popularized the term is my old coach riba

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All I can think about right now is Joe Rogan telling Kevin Smith that he thinks he could handle a housecat but that anything 40lbs or up would gently caress him up.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

West Coast Trials are today and I have a ton of teammates competing. Can't sleep due to excitement.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Is the Gordon Ryuan guard pass dvd any good?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Someone post the jiu jitsu pitbull

Gimme a minute
Edit:
https://i.imgur.com/atEtOA9.gifv

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 9, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
dog

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Here I am doing some jitz to my dog https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1041190398784266240
https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1041181542909796353

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Absolute unit

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

That's one nice dog.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

dog

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Surprised to see a purple belt give up the arm bar so easy

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I did my first morning class earlier this week. I fought 4 men before breakfast. Felt great.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Getting ready to go train. Trying out the Yuns method with a bacon egg and cheese with salt pepper ketchup

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Morning classes are the best. We're all slowly becoming Yuns.

Learned half guard from Gordo yesterday - maybe my favorite seminar ever in terms of practical info and chill fun vibes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Use salsa instead of ketchup you lilies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you do the cross ankle reversal when someone has your back but you trap their one ankle and use your own leg as the pivot rather than their other ankle does that count as a toe hold in the rules?

Kind of like the ankle lock reversal but instead of pressing down on the foot you manage to torque the foot to the side

Sorry if that makes no sense, I will try and find a pic.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 10, 2019

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wouldn't ever work, way too much space for the foot to move

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Use salsa instead of ketchup you lilies.

Secret Aardvark > *

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

I tapped a purple belt to it and he was trying to figure out if it would be legal for me in a tournament

literally only tap on a purple belt I ever got and he seemed just as shocked as me

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 11, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Its a heel hook, its effective, and kesting had a video on it a month or so ago. Its probably illegal per ibjjf

Edit: Mel if youre looking for the video I vaguely remember it being in a series explaning why you dont cross your ankles and it featured some other high level grappler and stephen kesting

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 11, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Its a heel hook, its effective, and kesting had a video on it a month or so ago. Its probably illegal per ibjjf

Why does everything cool have to be illegal :(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does everything cool have to be illegal :(

Ibjjf hates fun v:shobon:v

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Do you have a link to the video you mentioned? I tried to find it by thumbnail but couldn't find it

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Does anyone have the best gi based video for white belts to get out of side control that they like?

I need it because once I'm there I'm stuck, and also because I want to learn how all these people keep getting out of my side control.

Also very much enjoyed rolling with fellow gi white belts who are starting after me, made me feel a lot better about myself. Was able to Kimura someone from guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Does anyone have the best gi based video for white belts to get out of side control that they like?

I need it because once I'm there I'm stuck, and also because I want to learn how all these people keep getting out of my side control.

Also very much enjoyed rolling with fellow gi white belts who are starting after me, made me feel a lot better about myself. Was able to Kimura someone from guard.

99% the problem isn't that you're not using the right move, it's that you're letting your shoulders get flattened out in the first place. Lots of white belts give up side control and go "oh I guess this is my life now" and just accept it for like 5-6 seconds and get flattened out and give up the crossface, and then go "HELP I CAN'T GET OUT OF SIDE CONTROL NONE OF THE ESCAPES WORK I'VE WATCHED LOTS OF VIDEOS AND THEY DONT WORK"

Don't stop fighting the position, ever. That's the actual key. Fight every inch. Keep shrimping away and framing against the shoulder that's coming in to cross face you. Everything else is just variations on pummelling the the hands to the inside to create frames, shrimping, bridging, and trapping.