Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think I will ever not chuckle upon remembering the enigmatic Silent Doctor character present in many Modegan plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
eyes luminous with the beginning of tears

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
BotL, can you explain in at least 250 words what it is about Patrick's prosaic prose that keeps you up at night shaking your head whilst wistfully whispering, "drat. He's just- drat. Wow."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
And readers who see Denna as indicative of Rothfuss’ lack of artistry are not looking at the evidence. (Of course, one thing this whole f**king election season has demonstrated is that, when people make their minds up, all the evidence in the world is as a shrill wind that passes by and leaves the landscape unmoved, so I’m not going to try hard to convince anyone of anything. I’m just going to point out a few things and leave it to you to make up your own mind.)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

My eyes glassed over so hard trying to read this article they retroactively generated nuclear detonations due to the universe trying to backassedly justify their change.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

It would be awesome if this chucklehead would take all the effort of doing mental gymnastics to justify to themselves why Rothfuss isn’t actually poo poo at writing women and just... use it to read fantasy books with actually good female characters.

Perhaps—and I know this is a lot to ask of the average SFF nerd—even books by women.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Doctor Faustine posted:

It would be awesome if this chucklehead would take all the effort of doing mental gymnastics to justify to themselves why Rothfuss isn’t actually poo poo at writing women and just... use it to read fantasy books with actually good female characters.

Perhaps—and I know this is a lot to ask of the average SFF nerd—even books by women.
I think that someone with the handle "DrLori" might actually be a woman, and you'll find that she has plenty of posts about female-authored books, too. The "Most Recommended Diary" from her profile is an Ursula Le Guin memorial.

No, I don't know either why she'd write a sentence like "The mysterious, damaged, and possibly not-entirely-human Auri is drawn with particular sensitivity, and her character substantiated with nuance and depth." Some kind of fandom poisoning.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I wouldn't say Rothfuss is bad at writing women.

I would say Rothfuss is bad at writing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

porfiria posted:

I wouldn't say Rothfuss is bad at writing women.

I would say Rothfuss is bad at writing.

This pretty much sums it up. I think a large part of it is the fact that the books are multiple unrelated tales stitched together, so very little or nothing carries over between them. For example, after his parents die, he spends 6 months in the wilderness somehow surviving alone. When he goes to the city he promptly forgets this and stays despite the fact that the wilderness was easy enough to survive entirely off-screen while the city is full of evil rapists, drug addicts, inquisitors, and guards.

But then when this section ends, all of his trauma and issues from his time in the city is literally washed away with a single bath and suddenly he looks like a particularly handsome nobleman's son. At this time, roughly 15, leaves and goes to wizard college where... everyone treats him like he's a good 5-6 years older than he is, to the point that nobody gives him any poo poo at all for being a fifteen year old brat and in fact only gets poo poo for being a 1st year-er. He hangs out with people much older than him and goes drinking like he's much older than he is and I'm pretty sure the fact that Denna is his age is never thought of again. It's clear that at some point he WAS the same age as everyone else, but I guess he couldn't fit in a 5 year gap.

I'd wager most of the college stuff in both books was written at about the same time, but then the Pirates+Maer+Bandits+Felurian part was one section, and then the Ademre was it's own. The bandit part where Kvothe is a mysterious maybe-rapist who murders everyone before he even finds out about the kidnapped girls was entirely it's own thing - it was actually the short story that got people interested in Rothfuss.

The part directly after the murders where he takes the girls home and beats up a kid for being a jerk and probably the rest of the book feels like it was all written at the same time.

So when you take all these disparate parts and don't try particularly hard to work them together, you get two awful books.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Edit: Wrong tab.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of Rothfuss' deep and compelling female characters, I was trying to think of whether they passes the Bechdel test and someone did the work to check. The answer is hahaha are you kidding? I doubt it even passes a weaker version of two female characters discussing something other than the main character.

http://bunwat.booklikes.com/post/700867/thoughts-on-name-of-the-wind-and-the-bechdel-test posted:

Among many other things, this got me to thinking about the Bechdel Test. (Or to honor Allison Bechdel’s preference, the Bechdel/Wallace test since it was actually invented by her friend Liz Wallace.) Name of the Wind most certainly fails, in fact it fails pretty spectacularly. I was a few chapters in before I started to wonder where all the women went, so I might have missed something early on but as far as I can tell the first female character appears after seven chapters, there are nine chapters before a female character speaks, forty chapters before a female character has an actual conversation, sixty chapters before two female characters appear in the same scene and speak to one another and never do more than two women appear in any scene nor do they speak to one another about anything except a man.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Of note is that Fela obviously doesn't save herself, kvothe just talks poo poo about how she totally could have.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

She literally knows the supposedly all-encompassing name of stones or earth or whatever yet couldn't muster that to escape a building fire.

Yeah, okay Rothfart.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Of note is that Fela obviously doesn't save herself, kvothe just talks poo poo about how she totally could have.

It makes sense if you interpret it as Kvothe trying to neg her.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lmfao, imagine writing this

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

This pretty much sums it up. I think a large part of it is the fact that the books are multiple unrelated tales stitched together, so very little or nothing carries over between them. For example, after his parents die, he spends 6 months in the wilderness somehow surviving alone. When he goes to the city he promptly forgets this and stays despite the fact that the wilderness was easy enough to survive entirely off-screen while the city is full of evil rapists, drug addicts, inquisitors, and guards.

But then when this section ends, all of his trauma and issues from his time in the city is literally washed away with a single bath and suddenly he looks like a particularly handsome nobleman's son. At this time, roughly 15, leaves and goes to wizard college where... everyone treats him like he's a good 5-6 years older than he is, to the point that nobody gives him any poo poo at all for being a fifteen year old brat and in fact only gets poo poo for being a 1st year-er. He hangs out with people much older than him and goes drinking like he's much older than he is and I'm pretty sure the fact that Denna is his age is never thought of again. It's clear that at some point he WAS the same age as everyone else, but I guess he couldn't fit in a 5 year gap.

I'd wager most of the college stuff in both books was written at about the same time, but then the Pirates+Maer+Bandits+Felurian part was one section, and then the Ademre was it's own. The bandit part where Kvothe is a mysterious maybe-rapist who murders everyone before he even finds out about the kidnapped girls was entirely it's own thing - it was actually the short story that got people interested in Rothfuss.

The part directly after the murders where he takes the girls home and beats up a kid for being a jerk and probably the rest of the book feels like it was all written at the same time.

So when you take all these disparate parts and don't try particularly hard to work them together, you get two awful books.

Horatio Alger for fantasy incels

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
f**cking penis season

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess these extremely promiscuous sex ninjas don't understand how sperm works, brilliant

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I guess these extremely promiscuous sex ninjas don't understand how sperm works, brilliant

I still have no idea what kind of conclusion Rothfuss wanted us to draw about them from that whole thing. Unless, of course, he just wanted an excuse for endless sex scenes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think I can at least take a guess at his "conclusion".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best part was Kvothe just kinda shrugging and saying, "I guess since I can't explain it to them in a way they can understand, their view is just as correct as my scientifically proven view."

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe Rothfuss wanted to make it clear Kvothe is a dumbass who is outdebated by other dumbasses who are coincidentally sex ninjas.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rothfuss's plan to get laid by making women better fighters and magicians in his fantasy world backfires when they have all the agency of a dog fart.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best part was Kvothe just kinda shrugging and saying, "I guess since I can't explain it to them in a way they can understand, their view is just as correct as my scientifically proven view."

It's even funnier in the audio book, since they have swedish accents for some reason, so you've got a bunch of horny Swedes too stupid to understand what even the most primitive tribesmen figured out 100,000 years ago.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Rothfuss was creating his own magic world, so he could have actually decoupled sex and reproduction, and written about the ramifications. In fact, I'll just assume that's true and everyone just got tired of trying to explain to Kvothe that he was an idiot.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ElGroucho posted:

It's even funnier in the audio book, since they have swedish accents for some reason, so you've got a bunch of horny Swedes too stupid to understand what even the most primitive tribesmen figured out 100,000 years ago.

Wasn't there some pop anthropology meme floating around a few years ago about how it was plausible some early cultures didn't necessarily get the sex = babies connection? I remember thinking it was pretty implausible but I definitely recall reading about it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Found this while looking for the TV Tropes take on the issue:

But here's their actual discussion:

quote:

The Adem don't know that sexual intercourse causes pregnancy because they have so much sex that no one never linked the two. However, they do practice animal husbandry. Wouldn't that have clued them in? Without selective breeding, they would not be able to domesticate their livestock. All of their animal products, like meat, leather and wool, would be inferior to those outside their borders. A large percentage of the eggs they eat would be fertilized.

• Kvothe makes the comparison to cats, and the woman in question points out that humans and cats are not the same—which Kvothe admits is true, he was using a fallacy. They just think they're different that way. After all, humans don't give birth in litters either.

quote:

OP Again: Here's a related question: Adem don't believe that sex causes pregnancy, and one female character even laments that men have nothing to offer the world. So why would Adem keep male animals around? From their perspective, what would be the point of tending a male cow past the first opportunity to slaughter it for meat and leather? How would they keep their herds populated?

• This is brought up not just by you, but by the above responses, so it's worth addressing why the Adem can recognize animal reproduction takes 2, but not human. This is brought up indirectly during the conversation Kvothe discovers the Adem's lack of belief when he brings up cats. Aside from the fact that Kvothe is unable to conclusively prove genetic inheritance, Penthe states that reproduction with animals is different. Cats, for example, only give birth in litters while humans typically only give birth one at a time and cats and dogs only mate when they're in heat while humans do it year round. These differences serve to point out Kvothe is trying committing a fallacy. Specifically, the argument from analogy, which is to say that just because two things are similar in some respects does not mean you can assume them to be similar in all respects. So if you brought up animal reproduction, all the adem would do is point out that humans are not animals, so reproduction works differently. And this would be the logically correct response, even if it happened to be wrong.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 12, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Imagine defending this terrible writing. Why did Rothfuss even add this aside? It adds nothing, and makes the ademe, who hes been building up to be The Best People, look like a bunch of grade-a morons.

Edit: a better way to extricate Kvothe from the land of boring ninjas, would be that he destroys their world view on reproduction, so they exile him. Whoops!

Check this out: Kvothe gets the sex ninja preggers, but doesn't know it's his. 9 months later, an extremely red headed child is born. He gets the boot. Now, kvothe has a child that he hasn't seen in years. He is a Bad Absentee Father, and now his character isnt just the goodiest good boy. And, in the future, his relationship with Denna is further complicated by the sudden arrival of sex ninja #1 and a little redheaded girl.

This poo poo honestly writes itself.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 12, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ElGroucho posted:

Imagine defending this terrible writing. Why did Rothfuss even add this aside? It adds nothing, and makes the ademe, who hes been building up to be The Best People, look like a bunch of grade-a morons.

Except to the people who really want to be into these stories, they're not morons. They're mystical people who will gently caress anyone, even you, the reader! Those fans have to believe that the adem are that stupid.

Also, only complete donks say things like, "I committed a fallacy."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except to the people who really want to be into these stories, they're not morons. They're mystical people who will gently caress anyone, even you, the reader!

Lol, touché

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I committed a phallos

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Found this while looking for the TV Tropes take on the issue:

But here's their actual discussion:

that first paragraph, oof

why do you want magic to make seeeennnsseee

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know at what point in fantasy book history it became a thing to explain magic systems. I don't give a gently caress how it works, I just want it to be cool.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The whole "the Adem don't believe in fatherhood as a concept" was my second-lowest point in WMF. I mean, it wasn't really hard just to have a society that understands the mechanisms of reproduction (because, duh) but doesn't grant fatherhood any legal bond because it traces lineage and inheritance matrilinearly, people have multiple partners, etc. I know he tried to have his strong women society but it ends up undermining them by presenting european/western notions of fatherhood as scientifically sound (Kvothe's position) and the Adem as wilfully ignorant

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know at what point in fantasy book history it became a thing to explain magic systems. I don't give a gently caress how it works, I just want it to be cool.

yeah I dunno? for all the influence LotR had its magic is explicitly not explainable beyond "the wizard is an angel and god does stuff sometimes" so it ain't that. maybe it's a side effect of D&D's popularity.

which points to Jack Vance as the culprit but The Dying Earth only has a system insofar as spells are too complicated to keep more than a few in your head at once. infact the very first story in TDE is about a mediocre magician trying to treat magic like science and having it fail miserably.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

porfiria posted:

Wasn't there some pop anthropology meme floating around a few years ago about how it was plausible some early cultures didn't necessarily get the sex = babies connection? I remember thinking it was pretty implausible but I definitely recall reading about it.

IIRC there's a South Pacific culture that historically didn't make the connection because, it's hypothesized, they ate a lot of a root vegetable with high levels of hormones that may have acted as a low-effectiveness birth control. I don't know if that was ever actually supported, but that was the claim that got tossed around.

None of this makes the decision to include that as a part of an already inexplicable sex ninja village make any more sense.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The joke with magic in Dying Earth is that the world is so hosed up that even magic has been broken and become inflexible rote memorization.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The joke with magic in Dying Earth is that the world is so hosed up that even magic has been broken and become inflexible rote memorization.

yeah I guess Turjan's "book of the last 100 spells mankind knows" makes that point right off the bat

and then contrasts it with the alien god wizard who explicitly is not on Earth

I like the part with the server banks

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ElGroucho posted:

Systemic magic appeals to a lot of people because "I dunno a wizard did it" is or at least can be very deus ex machina-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Systematic.