Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Haha right?

Meanwhile, a love letter from the Canadian Housing Bubble thread:

19 examples of Metro Vancouver homes listed and sold at shattering losses (PHOTOS)

Edit: there's a whole Twitter account just dedicated to this.

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1

I'm having trouble embedding the tweet but holy christ #11 belongs in some kind of poo poo-ugly McMansion hall of fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Known Lecher posted:

I'm having trouble embedding the tweet but holy christ #11 belongs in some kind of poo poo-ugly McMansion hall of fame.

https://www.tycampbell.ca/r2335650-2911-w-34th-avenue

In all its majesty.

The rendering doesn't show that your neighbors are about 3 feet from you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s endearing if only because they crammed so much ugly into such a small space. Want a gaudy McMansion but only have a .25 acre lot that’s longer than it is wide? Well I’ve got a deal for you.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Haha right?

19 examples of Metro Vancouver homes listed and sold at shattering losses (PHOTOS)

Bad With Words is saying that “Still a net gain, however” is a “shattering loss”

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Question for the thread: Can whole life insurance ever be GWM?

If someone's main goal is to leave something for their kids when they pass, but they're so BWM that they wouldn't have anything left over anyway, is it potentially a "good" investment?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

insufficient guns posted:

If someone's main goal is to leave something for their kids when they pass, but they're so BWM that they wouldn't have anything left over anyway, is it potentially a "good" investment?

I mean, it seems you are saying that the kids (or parents I guess) will raid whatever money is given to them, then it doesn’t really matter what the account is. You can cash out whole life too. So I assume whatever you did you would want to do as a trust, but I don’t know much beyond that.

That being said, whole life is um, not good. My grandfather took out a whole life policy on me when I was born, and I found out about it 27ish years later.

He put in about $5,000 in the 80s. I found out about it around 2013. If memory serves right, the cash value was $7,000. I think the whole life charged $400 a year.

Using the calculator below, if you assume a general 7% return, it would have been $31,069 if put in a general stock funds :negative:

https://smartasset.com/investing/investment-calculator#lPsgOu7HmR

Don’t do whole life.

He’s my only grandfather left and otherwise was Good with Money running his own shop so I can’t be mad at him

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I feel like there is a BWM story buried in this post:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkFriEZAeE

You'll not find a better deal anywhere I think huhhh...

Watto is GWM, buying from Watto is BWM.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Known Lecher posted:

This wouldn't even make honorable mention

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aq5xfk/dealership_changed_tradein_to_100_lost_2000_down/?st=js394qlu&sh=a464c56d

Dealership changed trade-in to $1.00, lost $2,000 down payment posted:

Hi guys,

I’m not entirely sure where to post this but personal finance seems like the best place. In June of 2018 I purchased a used car through a local dealership.

I got scammed. Hard. I now work in public finance in a federal position. After doing an in-depth training at my current job regarding loans, I decided to go back through my auto loan terms. I found out that the dealership changed my trade-in amount (which was going to be my down payment) from ~$2,000 to $1.00.

Of course at the time I was not aware of this. Not an excuse, but an explanation: One of their employees sexually harassed me while they were running my credit and I was kind of out of it when I went to speak to finance. Naturally, they seat you in a dark office and print the contract in the lightest ink possible.

My auto loan is ~$22,000 with 11% interest at 72 months, making the total over $31,000. Having that $2,000 trade in/down payment would have brought me down to the KBB price, meaning I could have traded it in for something cheaper now that my financial situation has changed. I tried contacting the dealer but they were extremely rude and naturally refused to even listen to me.

At this point I just want to know how to get myself out of this hole. My monthly payments are high and due to the interest, the principle isn’t going down.

Unfortunately, trading in and eating the losses isn’t an option for me right now. 1. I need a car for work, and no the bus doesn’t service my work. 2. I am unlikely to be approved for a personal loan to cover the difference, or even a new car loan for a cheaper car.

Is my only option to continue paying until I can refinance? And at that time, my amount owed cannot exceed the value of the car, correct?

TL;DR: Car dealer changed trade-in/down payment to $1.00 without my knowledge or consent. They’re refusing to correct this.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've made mistakes too but this thread makes me feel a lot better about my life choices.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

insufficient guns posted:

If I'm understanding the gist of your question correctly: can doing something not very good with money be better than squandering all of your money? I guess, but it is still a sub-optimal choice. The best way to leave money to your children and ensure that it is used in accordance with your wishes is to establish an irrevocable trust. That way once you put money into it it cannot be removed by you and it cannot be disbursed except in accordance with the trust documents and with the agreement of the trustee.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sock The Great posted:

I feel like there is a BWM story buried in this post:

quote:

Used in very good condition. Some light rub marks.

It's a Watto sex doll, isn't it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Barry posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I don't know about my heart, but I know what my :dong: tells me

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

If Watto's not your thing and you've only for $450 to spare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
What round for lifesized spongebob target?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

JRay88 posted:

.50 AE

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

If Watto's not your thing and you've only for $450 to spare.

But is there an oriface?

That'll work, thank you

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Haha right?

The prices on these houses are insane. Bog standard houses are going for over a million in Vancouver? Utterly boring McMansions start at 2 million!? What the hell is wrong with the Canadian real estate market? How the hell can anyone afford this? :wtc:

Look at this one.

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1085675410250027008

How in the hell is that house worth 3 million dollars much less the 5 loving million it was assessed at in 2017?

And I thought DC's real estate market was terrible with its 600k townhouses...

edit: oh my god this one is even worse

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1080695322114908160

This was bought for over $1.7 million. HOW :psyduck:

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 13, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JRay88 posted:

87 Octane

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

axeil posted:

The prices on these houses are insane. Bog standard houses are going for over a million in Vancouver? What the hell is wrong with the Canadian real estate market? How the hell can anyone afford this? :wtc:

The Seattle market is close behind - those original prices don't look out of place for here, either. I'm waiting for the schadenfreude if the same happens here.

(also those are pretty large houses for the most part)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Its chinese peeps comparing it to shanghai and pricing in the fact that canadia doesnt randomly gulag peeps

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

axeil posted:

The prices on these houses are insane. Bog standard houses are going for over a million in Vancouver? Utterly boring McMansions start at 2 million!? What the hell is wrong with the Canadian real estate market? How the hell can anyone afford this? :wtc:

Look at this one.

How in the hell is that house worth 3 million dollars much less the 5 loving million it was assessed at in 2017?

First off you got to remember that a Canadian dollar is only worth $0.75 USD, second any 4500 sqft freestanding house not in the absolute worst parts of DC would be right in the market at $3MM

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

The Seattle market is close behind - those original prices don't look out of place for here, either. I'm waiting for the schadenfreude if the same happens here.

(also those are pretty large houses for the most part)

I get the sense that everything is hosed in Vancouver/BC right now. If that's what the really big units are going for I have no doubt that the smaller stuff is similarly in :psyduck: territory where no one can actually afford to live in them.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Its chinese peeps comparing it to shanghai and pricing in the fact that canadia doesnt randomly gulag peeps

Is this actually the cause? Because it seems like if that's the case the Canadian/Vancouver government might want to put occupancy rules in place so that their city doesn't become a ghost town made up of houses bought to avoid PRC capital controls.

Is there any good source to read about how this happened and what (if anything) is being done about it? It sounds like a really horrible crisis for anyone in the area.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

First off you got to remember that a Canadian dollar is only worth $0.75 USD, second any 4500 sqft freestanding house not in the absolute worst parts of DC would be right in the market at $3MM

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4401-Forest-Hill-Dr-Fairfax-VA-22030/51833739_zpid/?fullpage=true

Just found this one in a few seconds. 5 BR/5 BA at 5400 square feet in Fairfax, VA for only $870k.

edit: in DC proper I agree though, stuff is insane inside the district but the suburbs are still fine-ish.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 13, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

axeil posted:

Is this actually the cause? Because it seems like if that's the case the Canadian/Vancouver government might want to put occupancy rules in place so that their city doesn't become a ghost town made up of houses bought to avoid PRC capital controls.

They’re trying:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/vancouver-b-c-tries-again-to-thwart-foreign-real-estate-speculators/

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

I get the sense that everything is hosed in Vancouver/BC right now. If that's what the really big units are going for I have no doubt that the smaller stuff is similarly in :psyduck: territory where no one can actually afford to live in them.

Is there any good source to read about how this happened and what (if anything) is being done about it? It sounds like a really horrible crisis for anyone in the area.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4401-Forest-Hill-Dr-Fairfax-VA-22030/51833739_zpid/?fullpage=true

Just found this one in a few seconds. 5 BR/5 BA at 5400 square feet in Fairfax, VA for only $870k.

edit: in DC proper I agree though, stuff is insane inside the district but the suburbs are still fine-ish.

They've introduced two new "empty homes" taxes targeting foreign/non-residents owners and empty properties (obvs) that are not being rented out to tenants, one on the municipal level and one on the provincial level. The municipal tax is 1% of the property's assessed value and the provincial tax is anywhere between .5% and 2% depending on your citizenship.

It will be great for generating tax revenue but it seems to be loving the ordinary citizen that worked out of the country for more than six months more than than it's bothering the non-resident multi-millionaires that couldn't give a second poo poo about a 20k tax bill while their multi-million dollar detached home rots in the rain.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I have to imagine it's tough to thread the needle between discouraging these buyers, and causing an exodus that makes the housing market crash to normal and causes them to all get voted out by people who are mad that their homes lost value.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dillbag posted:

They've introduced two new "empty homes" taxes targeting foreign/non-residents owners and empty properties (obvs) that are not being rented out to tenants, one on the municipal level and one on the provincial level. The municipal tax is 1% of the property's assessed value and the provincial tax is anywhere between .5% and 2% depending on your citizenship.

It will be great for generating tax revenue but it seems to be loving the ordinary citizen that worked out of the country for more than six months more than than it's bothering the non-resident multi-millionaires that couldn't give a second poo poo about a 20k tax bill while their multi-million dollar detached home rots in the rain.

I mean, they could go really draconian and just ban ownership by non-Canadian citizens.

Or is the problem that the people buying these are dual Canadian/PRC citizens who want to get their money out of PRC? And is it just PRC that's an issue or are they seeing massive buys from Taiwan and other East Asian states too?

If it's just PRC they could go really, really, really draconian and ban ownership by PRC nationals but that would be a giant shitstorm.

Thanks for the article, interesting read.

quote:

According to a 2016 poll by the non-profit Angus Reid Institute, 90 percent of respondents supported the tax, including homeowners, but relatively few thought it would be effective.

This makes me think they could go much more punitive/draconian and still be generally supported.

edit: if this is straying too close to politics chat which is banned in TFR I'll drop the subject, but this is utterly fascinating/horrifying to learn about

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

axeil posted:

Look at this one.

edit: oh my god this one is even worse

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1080695322114908160

This was bought for over $1.7 million. HOW :psyduck:
Geography and growth policies/zoning

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001729-vancouver-planner%E2%80%99s-dream-middle-class-nightmare

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The McMansionest housing development:
https://www.businessinsider.com/turkey-abandoned-disney-castles-villas-2019-1#and-turkey-has-also-been-racked-by-political-turmoil-6

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
YOU get a disney castle!!!

And YOU get a disney castle!

And YOU get a disney castle!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Holy poo poo. That's amazing

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Having one or two of those in a neighborhood would be sweet but that is just creepy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It looks like if that was an MMO and that is the most expensive house available for players to build

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

axeil posted:

I mean, they could go really draconian and just ban ownership by non-Canadian citizens.

Or is the problem that the people buying these are dual Canadian/PRC citizens who want to get their money out of PRC? And is it just PRC that's an issue or are they seeing massive buys from Taiwan and other East Asian states too?

If it's just PRC they could go really, really, really draconian and ban ownership by PRC nationals but that would be a giant shitstorm.

Thanks for the article, interesting read.

This makes me think they could go much more punitive/draconian and still be generally supported.

edit: if this is straying too close to politics chat which is banned in TFR I'll drop the subject, but this is utterly fascinating/horrifying to learn about
I feel like this thread is a zardoz head or an anime floating castle. It’s not subject to the laws of locality

Or physics

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
A record 7 million Americans are 3 months behind on their car payments, a red flag for the economy

quote:

The New York Fed said that there were over a million more “troubled borrowers” at the end of 2018 than there were in 2010, when unemployment hit 10 percent and the auto loan delinquency rate peaked. Today, unemployment is 4 percent and job openings are at an all-time high, yet a significant number of people cannot pay their car loan.

Most of the people who are behind on their bills have low credit scores and are under age 30, suggesting young people are having a difficult time paying for their cars and their student loans at the same time.

I'm not sure if this is more BWM from millenials, or BWL from the people financing the loans. :thermidor:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think the thing that hosed up the Canadian housing market the most was the combination of interest rates less than inflation and capital gains exemption on principal residence. The capital gains exemption should really be abolished or capped at some function of employment income tax paid in order to tie market prices to local incomes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like this thread is a zardoz head or an anime floating castle. It’s not subject to the laws of locality

Or physics

The gun is good. The horse is bad.

:barf::horse::horse::horse::horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Hiya Georgie. I’m 1-3% wise the financial advising clown

Volmarias posted:

The gun is good. The horse is bad.

:barf::horse::horse::horse::horse:

I haven’t actually seen the horse post