Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HycoCam posted:

...or Blue Ridge Hickory?

Is that what you call that objectively ugly look? Too much blonde wood for my taste, but overall the contrast is way too high. It just looks like they had a different box of product and said gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binhex
Aug 17, 2008
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sechelt-seawatch-sinkhole-evacuation-1.5018726

A sinkhole that opened up on Christmas Day leads to the permanent evacuation of a neighbourhood.

I’m really curious to hear more about why they had to evacuate so quickly. Residents weren’t even allowed to drive vehicles up to their houses to move their stuff out.

It must be like Swiss cheese under there.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Regardless of pot fillers, when I fully remodel my kitchen, laundry rooms and bathrooms, they are all getting a floor drain. Same for fire sprinklers.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

binhex posted:

It must be like Swiss cheese under there.

Well, sinkholes, wet spots, and springs started showing as the land was under development in 2008
a sinkhole formed in 2012.
another one in 2015.
another one in 2015 that forced a family to evacuate.
Then they had to close a road because it started sagging too badly.
another one in 2017 forcing them to close an even larger section of road (from 2015)
another one in September 2018.
Then the Boxing Day sinkhole, forcing everybody to evacuate.

There may have been more but I think that's enough to demonstrate that, yes, it's Swiss cheese under there.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

A square one-piece toilet/sink combo, now I've seen everything. With that tap and the white towels on the floor, I assume this is a hotel of some sort? i was going to guess Germany, but there's no poo poo-shelf. France? Carrefour is a French brand, I believe.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What is this wood that all of these houses are using on the exterior like this? If it just stained pressure treated 1x8s or what?
Presumably cedar, no?

That is what my future architect who I think this thread hates uses. E.g.:
http://www.lucidarc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Lucid-Architecture-Modern-Beach-House-5205.jpg

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dillbag posted:

A square one-piece toilet/sink combo, now I've seen everything. With that tap and the white towels on the floor, I assume this is a hotel of some sort? i was going to guess Germany, but there's no poo poo-shelf. France? Carrefour is a French brand, I believe.

Did you see the toothbrush?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Was ceder ever super cheap at some point? The back of my house is all ceder shingles while the other three sides are some kind of siding and I can't figure out why.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stuff's growin on trees

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did you see the toothbrush?

Yes and the unit makes for a wonderful direct slide for anything that falls off the sink, but I'm more interested in the... Crappy Construction

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

This looks like a bowling alley with a fireplace.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Dillbag posted:

Yes and the unit makes for a wonderful direct slide for anything that falls off the sink, but I'm more interested in the... Crappy Construction

it's just a water-saving wall-hung washbasin & watercloset. the company doesn't mention the toothbrush slide though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWrUxkXOqs&t=45s

edit: that's also a loving weird place to put a toilet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol:ing in IRL life jesus gently caress :newlol: I get the aesthetics they were going for but god drat.

e: Only a thin person could do a poo on that toilet anyway.

The Gardenator posted:

Regardless of pot fillers, when I fully remodel my kitchen, laundry rooms and bathrooms, they are all getting a floor drain. Same for fire sprinklers.

Floor fire sprinklers?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 15, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JoshGuitar posted:

I use it for both though. The aerator does give you nicer pressure/feel for washing your hands, so I guess a high flow aerator would be the better choice.

I put a disabled handle on my kitchen flick-mixer so it's easier to only open it 10% for washing your hands.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

B-Nasty posted:

What do you do if (when) the pot filler fixture starts leaking? Rip out the entire backspash and the wall to replace it is my guess.

Usually there's no joins in the wall, so almost no chance of leaks.

If the fixture itself starts leaking, you turn off the mains and unscrew it from the thread jutting out of the wall much like a showerhead.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

If the fixture itself starts leaking, you turn off the mains and unscrew it from the thread jutting out of the wall much like a showerhead.

Yeah, I've since looked up the correct way of installing them, and you're supposed to do a threaded stub out, so the entire fixture can be unscrewed and replaced with the main water turned off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Valves also come apart and have replacement parts. It's not always tear apart your walls when a fixture starts to drip.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

What do you do if (when) the pot filler fixture starts leaking? Rip out the entire backspash and the wall to replace it is my guess.

You replace one of both valves/seats, like with any other faucet (except these have two). If the entire thing is bad you remove it from the wall (it's screwed on) and replace it.

Fender Anarchist posted:

IDK how you make stock

Out of cardboard boxes or cans of stock, apparently.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

there wolf posted:

Was ceder ever super cheap at some point? The back of my house is all ceder shingles while the other three sides are some kind of siding and I can't figure out why.
Actually yes. Around here anyway it was cheaper and considered inferior to clapboard siding so you’d put it on the back (and usually sides) of the house and save the good stuff for the front.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They still make pencil casings out of cedar so I guess it's probably not that expensive.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/ja5RYxk.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fndKimsWnE

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Jerry Cotton posted:

They still make pencil casings out of cedar so I guess it's probably not that expensive.

It's not that expensive and something like shingles doesn't require premium cedar. I got my fence rebuilt and opted for cedar fence planks over pine. It's more expensive up front but it's nicer than the lovely pine ones and they'll last longer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That poor dog. :(

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Close the drat lid when you're not making GBS threads or pissing on the toilet and things won't suddenly fall into it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Super 3 posted:

It's not that expensive and something like shingles doesn't require premium cedar. I got my fence rebuilt and opted for cedar fence planks over pine. It's more expensive up front but it's nicer than the lovely pine ones and they'll last longer.

Pine is fine if you paint it every now and then but it's really soft.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't get the grease fire worry. Is it that people supposedly panic and start to spray water all over the place if a pan full of grease catches fire?

'Yeah, I am definitely going to reach over the flaming pan to turn on this pot filler if a grease fire happens' - a very smart individual

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/the-moment-real-estate-investor-learns-home-is-booby-trapped-with-swinging-knife/amp/
Finally, someone is trying to cut down on real estate speculation.

binhex posted:

I’m really curious to hear more about why they had to evacuate so quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMRv1aZfWo

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Do you not have to run these pot fillers a little bit before use, like you would a normal faucet?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

a cow posted:

Do you not have to run these pot fillers a little bit before use, like you would a normal faucet?
I've only ever heard this being done in areas with high lead levels.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Liquid Communism posted:

'Yeah, I am definitely going to reach over the flaming pan to turn on this pot filler if a grease fire happens' - a very smart individual

I can understand it could have a use in an industrial kitchen, perhaps in a country with incredibly lax occupational health and safety laws, but mostly it seems like one of those stupid dangerous things which have made their way to the modern world hiding behind the veil of 'tradition'.

Yes, you have to turn two taps for water and you're supposed to turn the wall one on first, then the one at the end of the arm. So, what if the last person who used it just turned it off at the wall? Instantly water everywhere all over the stove.

Or someone is filling their huge pot, gets distracted by kids or the phone or whatever and now the pot's overflowing on the stove.

One of these would be worlds safer because you have to stand there holding it for water to come out:

Sure, people would still find a way to jam it open, but at least then they would have to actively try to kill themselves rather than accidentally.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm going to jam it up my rear end

Edit: 3/5 stars. Excellent pressure and fit but the boingy doesn't reach all the way to my 5x8 foot marble sex island.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

a cow posted:

what?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, you have to turn two taps for water and you're supposed to turn the wall one on first, then the one at the end of the arm. So, what if the last person who used it just turned it off at the wall? Instantly water everywhere all over the stove.

Or someone is filling their huge pot, gets distracted by kids or the phone or whatever and now the pot's overflowing on the stove.

I mean, I guess. Open flames on gas stoves seem more dangerous so if you're going to die on a hill, I'd go over there first.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can understand it could have a use in an industrial kitchen, perhaps in a country with incredibly lax occupational health and safety laws, but mostly it seems like one of those stupid dangerous things which have made their way to the modern world hiding behind the veil of 'tradition'.

One of these would be worlds safer because you have to stand there holding it for water to come out:

Sure, people would still find a way to jam it open, but at least then they would have to actively try to kill themselves rather than accidentally.

Chic dishwasher job look I kinda like.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a cow posted:

bro what’s up with ur water

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FCKGW posted:

bro what’s up with ur water

rats in the hot water tank

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

a cow posted:

Something is wrong with your house.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Queen Combat posted:

Something is wrong with your house.

a cow lives in a barn

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Slugworth posted:

I've only ever heard this being done in areas with high lead levels.

I've just always assumed everyone had to do this to get cold water out of the tap. Our house is from the 60's, so there might be some weird plumbing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a well, and you run the water a bit before to get the super cold and good stuff same with hot.