Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean, if you're dumping it in a pot on a stove, the temperature it comes out the tap isn't gonna affect much except a few extra minutes to boil, so unless you've got sludge coming out the first few seconds then who gives a poo poo.

People are really overthinking all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Fender Anarchist posted:

Goons.txt

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
When I was a kid our house definitely had water issues, I distinctly remember brown water from the tap for a few seconds. It's only gotta happen a few times before you check that it's clear obsessively.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

When I was a kid our house definitely had water issues, I distinctly remember brown water from the tap for a few seconds. It's only gotta happen a few times before you check that it's clear obsessively.

That is a symptom of a different problem that is narrow in scope. If you have copper or pex pipes and unleaded water the first drops are as good as the last.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

H110Hawk posted:

That is a symptom of a different problem that is narrow in scope. If you have copper or pex pipes and unleaded water the first drops are as good as the last.

Yeah, I know that logically, but compulsions don't really respond to logic. For the record I don't have any strong feelings about pot fillers or water use.

I actually think that house may have had a backflow problem since it was older and had a very old sprinkler system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fender Anarchist posted:

I mean, if you're dumping it in a pot on a stove, the temperature it comes out the tap isn't gonna affect much except a few extra minutes to boil, so unless you've got sludge coming out the first few seconds then who gives a poo poo.

In some places cold water from the kitchen sink is straight from the mains but hot water, toilet water, and bathroom sink water will come from a water reservoir in the attic, which is not something you want to be drinking regularly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splicer posted:

In some places cold water from the kitchen sink is straight from the mains but hot water, toilet water, and bathroom sink water will come from a water reservoir in the attic, which is not something you want to be drinking regularly.

Uh why a separate reservoir

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

y’all live in some real hosed up houses

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

The British like having legionella and rats in their water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHgUu_8KgA

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, you have to let some of the water out before the water can get out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Splicer posted:

Some places are colonzied by loving idiots who like legionella.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Some places are colonzied by loving idiots who like legionella.

The Danes should never have colonized Britain.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We had an attic reservoir because lovely infrastructure meant the mains pressure was sometimes too low to get the water moving, so you'd fill the reservoir when there was pressure (in the night mostly) and then at least you could rely on gravity to feed it down. The pressure is poo poo but at least you get it out the tap.

Also colonized by legionella lovers though.

Coming to America and experiencing a shower with actual water pressure was pretty amazing. And then machine-dried towels :aaa: Truly the west is a land of decadence.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Here’s how I almost died this week.

I was cleaning up my in-laws basement from a hot water heater leak. I leaned in behind the heater to get in with the shopvac and huge spark went off. That copper line is just floating back there, not sure if that’s from an old fridge or the AC unit. That grey wire was just hanging there, bare ended and apparently live (I put the tape on it afterwards).
Me standing in water with a live wire and a copper conductor just swinging around. Not how I planned to spend my Valentine’s Day.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Burt Sexual posted:

When my dad lived in a tiny country village they didn't have mains, and the bore water there is super hard. So drinking, washing and bathing water came from the rainwater tank, flushing the toilet and watering the garden came from the bore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Burt Sexual posted:

So your toilet water can't back up into the mains.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Splicer posted:

So your toilet water can't back up into the mains.

So, other countries with stone/brick-built houses can make fun of Americans for their 'toothpick' framed houses, but we can make fun of them for having non-potable water faucets like an airplane lavatory.

Enjoy going all the way down to your kitchen in the middle of the night to find a faucet that you can legally get a glass of water from.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

B-Nasty posted:

So, other countries with stone/brick-built houses can make fun of Americans for their 'toothpick' framed houses, but we can make fun of them for having non-potable water faucets like an airplane lavatory.

Enjoy going all the way down to your kitchen in the middle of the night to find a faucet that you can legally get a glass of water from.

a) like you fucks drink water
b) my house has no stairs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GotLag posted:

:getout:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

B-Nasty posted:

*this post unavailable in Flint, MI*

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

And parts of west Virginia, and anywhere they do a lot of fracking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

More like they get to enjoy Raw Water® straight from the tap!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tomapot posted:

Here’s how I almost died this week.

I was cleaning up my in-laws basement from a hot water heater leak. I leaned in behind the heater to get in with the shopvac and huge spark went off. That copper line is just floating back there, not sure if that’s from an old fridge or the AC unit. That grey wire was just hanging there, bare ended and apparently live (I put the tape on it afterwards).
Me standing in water with a live wire and a copper conductor just swinging around. Not how I planned to spend my Valentine’s Day.

That copper line was probably for a humidifier.

Also, find why that exposed wire is still energized and unhook it!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GotLag posted:

You are not protected then.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1097271473780285440

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/syncloss/status/1097273927854895105?s=20

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That really looks like a screwed up render. Impressive!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fuckin hell

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm more concerned by the whole window situation back there than by the load-bearing island.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Youth Decay posted:

I'm more concerned by the whole window situation back there than by the load-bearing island.

Why?:confused::magical: What could the designer have possibly been thinking when they did this!?

More importantly who would ever buy a home with this?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tile for countertops is the worst and that floor ugh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The tile floor is the worst part of that image, and that’s saying something.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My bet is the columns are just to hide wires for the outlets, coming from the ceiling above.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

My bet is the columns are just to hide wires for the outlets, coming from the ceiling above.

If that were the case, why would there be two columns and two sets of outlets?

Cram them all into one.

I mean, the whole room is the product of a deranged mind, but still.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my guess is the pillars are a compromise to enable open floorplan elsewhere. Max unsupported span lengths are a big problem for open floors, especially when they're retrofit onto existing houses so you can't (easily) just add more floor joists or something.

The windows and the floor are bigger horrors than the island. The floor especially looks like I'd be constantly tripping on 2mm height variations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you really badly want that open floor plan, that's not even close to the worst place for the pillars to be. You're already walking around it, unless the fridge and sink are on the far side of it it's a perfectly usable kitchen.

The tile countertop is loathsome, however.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, my guess is the pillars are a compromise to enable open floorplan elsewhere. Max unsupported span lengths are a big problem for open floors, especially when they're retrofit onto existing houses so you can't (easily) just add more floor joists or something.

The windows and the floor are bigger horrors than the island. The floor especially looks like I'd be constantly tripping on 2mm height variations.

I looked at a house that had a corner window like that. It was all one solid piece, not just two normal windows abutted against each other. No idea if that's the case here.

And while there's logic to putting the pillars in the island it looks ugly as hell and king of defeats the purpose of the open floor plan with how it disrupts the eye line. Is there a structural reason they couldn't at least move them out to the edges of the island? Maybe it's just easier to built a cabinet around them that way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably there were two load bearing king studs there and they just built the island around them and then added the pillar bases and capitals to make it look "better".

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Probably there were two load bearing king studs there and they just built the island around them and then added the pillar bases and capitals to make it look "better".

I'm guessing that this used to be an office building or other commercial space that's been converted (badly) for residency. The odd windows and seemingly in the way pillar location wouldn't be a problem in an office building, and the corner window might even be considered a feature for a corner office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess if you've got columns on your kitchen island and really really want to put a spotlight on how they're not even centered, countertop tile is the way to go.