Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'm making myself a workshop and a band saw seems like it would be a good idea, and was leaning towards a portable band saw over a stand based one partially based on floor space considerations. Is there a real reason to go for a corded vs a cordless? Battery seems most convenient, and even though 90% of the time I'll be near an outlet, it's a pain in the rear end to use a cord most of the time and I'll almost always grab my battery tools over my corded ones. As for materials I'll be cutting, it'll probably be mostly wood, plastics and aluminum but I'll probably at least cut steel occasionally (chromoly eventually, assuming I can get my welding skills up to par for a go-kart)

Going for Dewalt since I already have a few Dewalt cordless tools and I need more batteries for them.
Band saw
2x 9ah batteries + charger

Is this a good idea or would I be far better off with a floor or at least corded model? I'll be honest, one reason I'm leaning towards a portable one is I have a giant slab of plastic that I need to cut into easily usable pieces and a hand-held circular saw seems stupid/wasteful and it's way too heavy to easily manipulate into a stand-based bandsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

In Ryobi review revisited and redacted hour, re: their 18v impact driver I thought was either crap or defective, it turns out the speed settings are also torque settings. So, its fine. I've never had an impact driver, so if that's standard, it's news to me.
Once again I like my idiot puke yellow tools.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I like my Ryobi stuff just fine, but I'm not sure they could've chosen a worse color scheme if they tried. I'm in a Facebook group for Ryobi users and some of those guys color match paint so they can paint their toolboxes, etc. with that color. It's truly bizarre.

Glad you got your impact situation figured out.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I like my Ryobi stuff just fine, but I'm not sure they could've chosen a worse color scheme if they tried. I'm in a Facebook group for Ryobi users and some of those guys color match paint so they can paint their toolboxes, etc. with that color. It's truly bizarre.

Glad you got your impact situation figured out.

I was always told the color scheme was to prevent theft.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
The colour is definitely pretty gross. Glad there's nothing wrong with the driver as that's probably the one I'll pick up too.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mr. Mambold posted:

In Ryobi review revisited and redacted hour, re: their 18v impact driver I thought was either crap or defective, it turns out the speed settings are also torque settings. So, its fine. I've never had an impact driver, so if that's standard, it's news to me.

Thats not puke yellow, thats florescent green...Powermatic is the true puke yellow.

edit: Like a 70's kitchen stained with nicotine :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Thats not puke yellow, thats florescent green...

If the Ryobi color was on a fire truck we'd refer to it as "slime lime".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bondematt posted:

Hahaha.

JEEVES420 posted:

Thats not puke yellow, thats florescent green...Powermatic is the true puke yellow.

edit: Like a 70's kitchen stained with nicotine :v:

Motronic posted:

I believe Sherwin-Williams lists it as puque.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I believe Sherwin-Williams lists it as puque.

And color matching... well, all of my power tools are red but the only red shop implements I have are a lovely Craftsman tool chest and a lovely Craftsman workbench, both of which I will eventually replace over a long enough period of time :v:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fire Storm posted:

I'm making myself a workshop and a band saw seems like it would be a good idea, and was leaning towards a portable band saw over a stand based one partially based on floor space considerations. Is there a real reason to go for a corded vs a cordless? Battery seems most convenient, and even though 90% of the time I'll be near an outlet, it's a pain in the rear end to use a cord most of the time and I'll almost always grab my battery tools over my corded ones. As for materials I'll be cutting, it'll probably be mostly wood, plastics and aluminum but I'll probably at least cut steel occasionally (chromoly eventually, assuming I can get my welding skills up to par for a go-kart)

Going for Dewalt since I already have a few Dewalt cordless tools and I need more batteries for them.
Band saw
2x 9ah batteries + charger

Is this a good idea or would I be far better off with a floor or at least corded model? I'll be honest, one reason I'm leaning towards a portable one is I have a giant slab of plastic that I need to cut into easily usable pieces and a hand-held circular saw seems stupid/wasteful and it's way too heavy to easily manipulate into a stand-based bandsaw.

Are you using the bandsaw as a replacement/supplement to a jigsaw or reciprocating saw? That's the only reason I can imagine purchasing a handheld one like that. For your giant slab of plastic, how big are you cutting the pieces? Because the bandsaw you posted will have a maximum width (5") that it can cut.

They do make bench top bandsaws that are pretty reasonably priced if space is a premium.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If Ryobi tools weren't green I'd still be angling to paint half my poo poo that color anyway :colbert:

As it stands half the stuff in my shop is Ryobi and the other half is Ridgid and I've really embraced my Nickelodeon aesthetic.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The green is terrible but I'll still buy the dumb things. The ancient willow bandsaw I bought is a beautiful pale blue and I want to colour match it to paint other stuff in my garage, but there's already too much paint on my drill press, in three different colours

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I have never heard of people color coordinating their garages or trying to match tool colors. Did this start with the whole "man cave" phenomenon?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bondematt posted:

The brand name does a pretty fair job on its own

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

JEEVES420 posted:

I have never heard of people color coordinating their garages or trying to match tool colors. Did this start with the whole "man cave" phenomenon?

People have painted things from since they had paint, don't over think it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

People have painted things from since they had paint, don't over think it.

Fair enough.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Motronic posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've picked up many a truck from Appleton, WI.

We're standard red, but I do like slime lime.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

JEEVES420 posted:

Saw a DeWalt/Stanley garage that was like looking into the sun. Guy painted his tool cabinets to match, as well as making sure to pick out only yellow/black bins.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My shop is a clown show and I intend to keep it that way.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Rust and sawdust are colors

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I already asked in the automotive tools thread and realized I was probably in the wrong place.

Recommend me a soldering iron/station. I need a SMD rework gun and a soldering iron.
They can both be in the same 'station' or separates. I don't mind either way.

The goal here is something quality. I had a cheap ebay Chinese Yuasa station that lasted me a while but was a total piece of poo poo. The rework gun was finicky and really only good for smoking weed. :okpos: The soldering iron was pretty lovely and sorta delicate. The heating element broke on the first one so I had to buy a replacement.

I want something that is sturdy and durable, easy to get replacement parts for, and is capable of soldering a wide range of things from SMD's to 8AWG wire.

When I got tired of the $15 radio shack specials I'd been using for years I bought one of these and I love it: http://www.edsyn.com/product/951SX.html

Apparently it's quite popular in the aerospace industry? It's probably overkill for a home hobbyist like me but it heats up quickly and even came with a calibration certificate. I don't do SMD but I'm sure there are tips for it that would work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

coathat posted:

Rust and sawdust are colors

I’ve been cutting a lot of padauk lately and honestly I can’t even tell the difference anymore

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve been cutting a lot of padauk lately and honestly I can’t even tell the difference anymore

I love the smell of padauk in the morning. Smells like.....hicktory....*

* it doesn't, it smells sweet and I love it, but it's bad for a body, so I've heard

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It has that wonderful rosewood smell that I can only really describe as smelling like cake? Real Ceylon satinwood smells like that same smell mixed with coconut rum and it's amazing.

I don't care how bad it is for me, I will huff that poo poo to an early grave.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

My hometown. My cousins painted fire truck doors by hand at Pierce as summer jobs in between years of college.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stupid puma posted:

My hometown. My cousins painted fire truck doors by hand at Pierce as summer jobs in between years of college.

That's pretty awesome. Pierce makes a nice truck and are pretty rigorous on not just functional quality but cosmetic also (you always get the "oh, you're buying a parade truck" from the companies that like their K-Mart Engineering trucks and the like around here). They must have known what they were doing to have that job.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Motronic posted:

We got almost all pierce trucks, but never been on the good guy list to be able to pick up a truck at the factory.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Has anyone here bought the knockoff dust deputy from China?
I generally like to go for quality tools, but the price difference here is literally 10 fold for the Super Dust Deputy. It's almost $300 CAD for one(on sale from $450!), and I can get a knockoff on ebay for $35ish +shipping.
I feel like this is a hard thing to screw up even with cheaper china materials/process. I imagine the worst part is it might not be as efficient.

I've debated making my own cyclone but I'm building a new shop and its a ton of work as is so some parts just gotta give.

Another option is a cyclone lid/theine baffle for a garbage can. Veritas has one for $80, but I've read they aren't nearly as effective as a proper cyclone.

What are peoples thoughts?

New shop won't be ready for a month so I got some time to decide and wait on slow chines shipping if I go for it.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

keep it down up there! posted:

Has anyone here bought the knockoff dust deputy from China?
I generally like to go for quality tools, but the price difference here is literally 10 fold for the Super Dust Deputy. It's almost $300 CAD for one(on sale from $450!), and I can get a knockoff on ebay for $35ish +shipping.
I feel like this is a hard thing to screw up even with cheaper china materials/process. I imagine the worst part is it might not be as efficient.

I've debated making my own cyclone but I'm building a new shop and its a ton of work as is so some parts just gotta give.

Another option is a cyclone lid/theine baffle for a garbage can. Veritas has one for $80, but I've read they aren't nearly as effective as a proper cyclone.

What are peoples thoughts?

New shop won't be ready for a month so I got some time to decide and wait on slow chines shipping if I go for it.

My mile-high take is that things like that that don't take precision machining you can be much more confident of chinese manufacturing. The other thing is it's getting so you can't spell machines without chines...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have this thing on a trash can between my planer and a cheap harbor freight DC and it does great separating the big chips.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001399USU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0XXzCbT85Q52P

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Sorry if this has been beaten to death already, but any recommendations for after market 20v drill batteries? I hate paying for a branded one, but also don't want it to immediately die and/or catch on fire. Are there any unbranded batteries that are decent or just worth it ponying up for a brand name one? This will be going into a Craftsman Bolt-On, but it seems like there is a lot of battery interchangeability there.

*Edit* well crap, got a Workmate 225 from Lowe's (like $20 less than everywhere else) and one of the latches was busted out of the box. Since I'll be returning it is that still a good option for $50 or are there better ones these days in that range? Or anything else I should be looking at for $50 for someone starting their tool collection?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 17, 2019

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm looking to get my first table saw for woodworking projects and house remodeling stuff after my neighbor with lots of awesome tools he was happy to share moved away. I'm pretty new at this, but I've done a few projects, and I have a good area I can turn into a shop, so I'm looking to get something better and more permanent than a $150 portable one. I was thinking something around $400-$800ish. I'm not in a huge hurry, as it's still too cold to do much, but these 2 popped up on craigslist and I'm looking for opinions from more experienced people.

I want to build some cabinets, so a highish ripping capacity matters.

Ridgid 4512. This is probably what I would buy new, as it seems to have ok reviews for a hobbyist's first saw. https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d/sun-prairie-rigid-r4512-table-saw/6821388826.html

But I found this, which based on reviews might be better: https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d/madison-delta-10-cabinet-saw-with/6821079964.html

I'm a little nervous about the second one not having the safety stuff (riving knife, etc) of the first one, but if the saw is considerably better, I can just stop being a baby and deal with it.

Other suggestions are welcome as well! I read the last few pages and didn't see anything, but if I missed something, I'm happy to go back. Thanks!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You want a riving knife, for sure. Especially if you're doing long rips. At this point, I'd never own a saw without one. The anti-kickback pawls and blade guard are a pain to work around, but still will keep your fingers attached. It's a shame that SawStops are so loving much money. $1300 for a jobsite saw is stupid. I'd suggest a Reaxx, but they're $2,000CAD, assuming you could smuggle it across. That old Unisaw is a great machine, but unless you could retrofit a knife and guard, I don't know if I'd buy one. It's a much heavier and more powerful saw. The microjig with the splitter isn't the same as a true riving knife. That said, if you know what you're doing and are comfortable without the safeties, the UniSaw is a great deal considering all the addons. I assume you have 240V available, and a truck to move that thing... it's heavy as hell.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Buy the Delta and get a shark guard they go on a nut behind the blade and work just as well as a riving knife. Only down side is you cant use it if you angle the blade. Don't use the micro jig, I have never heard good things about them. Also I don't know anybody who actually uses a blade guard, those things get in the way more than they prevent anything bad happening.

I use a Powermatic PM66 5hp with a shark guard (sometimes) and have never had a problem with it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If you've got the space for a dedicated table saw like that, more power to you, and having the larger table is great, but I've been doing great with my Dewalt 7491 once I got used to using it over a big fuckin Sawstop cabinet saw, and I think they're regularly like $450 new

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Buy that Unisaw. It's twice the saw of the Ridgid for only 50% more. The more modern ones like I think that one is have a place you can stick a riving knife and it's very quick/easy to remove.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Well, thanks for the advice. A strong recommendation for the Delta (and I didn't know about Shark Guard, thanks for that). Uuuuunnnnfortunately, it appears to be gone! I'll keep watching for it to come back, or else keep watching craigslist and move quicker next time. There have been 3 of those Ridgid's for sale in the week I've been watching, so I'll let this one go and hope something nicer pops up by the time I need it.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 19, 2019

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Double post, but I've expanded my search area a bit and found a couple of seemingly promising options. I aware that they're different classes of saw, but I don't know enough to have a preferred type of saw. I suspect they'd both do what I'd need them to.

This is what I see in my head when I think Table Saw: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/waukesha-delta-10-table-saw-3-phase/6795806472.html
Looks well used, but the table appears to be in great shape, which bodes well for the maintenance of the unit.

This one is a bit further away, but it comes with more stuff, and a Unifence. It's obviously less powerful. https://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/d/neenah-delta-platinum-edition-table-saw/6820859381.html

Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks for being my sounding board!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Grumpwagon posted:

Double post, but I've expanded my search area a bit and found a couple of seemingly promising options. I aware that they're different classes of saw, but I don't know enough to have a preferred type of saw. I suspect they'd both do what I'd need them to.

This is what I see in my head when I think Table Saw: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/waukesha-delta-10-table-saw-3-phase/6795806472.html
Looks well used, but the table appears to be in great shape, which bodes well for the maintenance of the unit.

This one is a bit further away, but it comes with more stuff, and a Unifence. It's obviously less powerful. https://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/d/neenah-delta-platinum-edition-table-saw/6820859381.html

Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks for being my sounding board!

Unfortunately the one in Milwaukee is 3phase, which unless you have it wired in your shop (very unlikely) or you plan to invest in more 3phase tools and setup a VFD, you should steer clear from. People often try to sell 3phase Unisaws for super cheap around me, like $3/400, because hardly anyone has a 3phase setup.