Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Falco posted:

Unfortunately the one in Milwaukee is 3phase, which unless you have it wired in your shop (very unlikely) or you plan to invest in more 3phase tools and setup a VFD, you should steer clear from. People often try to sell 3phase Unisaws for super cheap around me, like $3/400, because hardly anyone has a 3phase setup.

Considering there are about 25 words in that craigslist posting, you'd think I would have processed that. Yes, no 3 phase, so that's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Falco posted:

Unfortunately the one in Milwaukee is 3phase, which unless you have it wired in your shop (very unlikely) or you plan to invest in more 3phase tools and setup a VFD, you should steer clear from. People often try to sell 3phase Unisaws for super cheap around me, like $3/400, because hardly anyone has a 3phase setup.

Add 200 for a VFD to the price and see if it's still a good price.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Add 200 for a VFD to the price and see if it's still a good price.

Or you can often get a single phase motor for the same price

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mr. Mambold posted:

Or you can often get a single phase motor for the same price

Or a converter for much less.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well poo poo then what's even the problem. Take advantage of it to get cheap stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grumpwagon posted:

Double post, but I've expanded my search area a bit and found a couple of seemingly promising options. I aware that they're different classes of saw, but I don't know enough to have a preferred type of saw. I suspect they'd both do what I'd need them to.

This is what I see in my head when I think Table Saw: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/waukesha-delta-10-table-saw-3-phase/6795806472.html
Looks well used, but the table appears to be in great shape, which bodes well for the maintenance of the unit.

This one is a bit further away, but it comes with more stuff, and a Unifence. It's obviously less powerful. https://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/d/neenah-delta-platinum-edition-table-saw/6820859381.html

Sorry for the dumb questions, and thanks for being my sounding board!
The contractor’s saws like the second one are decent enough job site saws, but not at all comparable to a real cabinet saw. The motor mounts are kind of flimsy and they just don’t have the oomph and stability of a cabinet saw. It has gotten a lot cheaper and easier to convert 3phase stuff to single phase recently. If you can take advantage of it (or just have 3 phase) you can get some deals-my current saw is an early 2000s 5hp 3ph unisaw in great shape I got for $500. That’s a much older unisaw though, and might not be as easy to fit a riving knife to.

It also looks like it’s in a commercial shop which either means it has a) been meticulously and well maintained and rebuilt when needed, or b)been used hard and abused by a bunch of morons and run for years with never a squirt of grease or a new belt or bearing. It can be hard to tell which is which sometimes. Ask to see whatever you find under power and listen for any vibration or rattling/squealing. Standing a dime on edge on the table of a running cabinet saw is the old test-a good one should have very little to no vibration and the dime should stand up.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Dimes are tiny and hard to stand up on their own, I have always heard it as the nickle test.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I actually did decide to test my own advice and my clumsy fingers couldn’t get any coin to stand up on its edge with saw running or not.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Alright, I think the 3 phase conversion is a step too far for me at the moment. I'll keep the search open for cabinet style saws, and thanks for the explanation.

I've been starting to read the owwm forums, and lumberjocks. Any other recommended resources where I could learn more about what to look for?

In the mean time, what other brands are good to look at? I'm obviously looking at Deltas. I've heard good things about old Craftsman, but I don't know how much of that is legit and how much is just reflecting on what the brand is now. There have been several Walker Turner units I've seen, although from the reviews (well, ok, forum posts) I've read they're maybe a step back?

I'm happy looking at this older battle tested stuff, but just to make sure I'm not missing anything, is anything newer decent & in my price range? It feels like to get a decent newer saw, you're looking at $1300 and up, which would be nice, but I like being married.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 19, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Grumpwagon posted:

Alright, I think the 3 phase conversion is a step too far for me at the moment. I'll keep the search open for cabinet style saws, and thanks for the explanation.

I've been starting to read the owwm forums, and lumberjocks. Any other recommended resources where I could learn more about what to look for?

In the mean time, what other brands are good to look at? I'm obviously looking at Deltas. I've heard good things about old Craftsman, but I don't know how much of that is legit and how much is just reflecting on what the brand is now. There have been several Walker Turner units I've seen, although from the reviews (well, ok, forum posts) I've read they're maybe a step back?

I'm happy looking at this older battle tested stuff, but just to make sure I'm not missing anything, is anything newer decent & in my price range? It feels like to get a decent newer saw, you're looking at $1300 and up, which would be nice, but I like being married.

Walker-Turner are an old builder, pretty sure they quit before safety features were a feature. Grizzly's can be had sometimes for a great price. Some folks are big fans of JET tools. If you can get the babyshit yellow Powermatic that JEEVES420 has for a decent price, put the pedal to the metal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grumpwagon posted:

Owwm is a tremendous resource, but unless you like working on machinery as much as you like cutting wood, I'd stay away from the really old stuff like the old Craftsman's or Walker-Turners or Wadkin's or whatever. They might run forever, but its just as likely a worm gear might break tomorrow and nobody has made parts for them in 50 years. Not to mention the lack of safety features like Mambold said. The knowledge base and forums on woodweb also have lots of (badly spelled) knowledge and opinions too.

JET and Grizzly are both decently made in Taiwan (I thiiink JET woodworking stuff has always been import/Taiwanese stuff, but there may be some really old domestic stuff out there) and should be a good value used. Unisaws and Powermatic 66's are sort of the iconic cabinet saws-there's lots of them floating around used and parts are fairly available. Powermatics seem to command a premium because of all the gold in the paint, but they are great saws. You can probably find a Unisaw for $5-700 and a PM66 for closer to $1000. The fence is important too-Biesemeyer style ones are the best, but the newer UniFences are okay too. General was a Canadian manufacturer (now, like Powermatic and Delta and sadly even Oliver they mostly import the better quality East Asian stuff) that made good stuff if you see it available. If you want something new, Grizzly/Shop Fox are probably the best bang for the buck but yeah, it's gonna cost $1300.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks, that's all great stuff! That's probably a good read on me that I don't mind fixing something up a bit, but I'm not going to be machining long lost parts.

I saw you mention JET. I've definitely seen some strong negative reviews about some of their tools. Warranted, or just a loud minority?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Thanks, that's all great stuff! That's probably a good read on me that I don't mind fixing something up a bit, but I'm not going to be machining long lost parts.

I saw you mention JET. I've definitely seen some strong negative reviews about some of their tools. Warranted, or just a loud minority?

Little of both. Jet makes some great tools and some not so great ones. They are not known for table saws FWIW.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have any experience with tile ring saws or can give me anything comparable to a gemini revolution xt? I had to customize my current revolution and I'm debating if its worth getting another or a different saw entirely. The cheaper gemini saws won't work for what I do unfortunately. I've never used a waterjet before but I really like the bandsaw like ability of the revolution xt so I'm not sure that would work for me

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I have never seen that type of tile saw. Googling only shows me like 2 brands.

Any reason a standard tile saw will not work? Seems like a neat concept.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
It's like a bandsaw for stone or glass so a normal tile saw will have a solid center which wont let the material turn as it passes through it on a curve

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Found some Stanley spiral ratcheting screwdrivers, never used them but they look interesting, need to get some bits for them, and some other crap too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Found some Stanley spiral ratcheting screwdrivers, never used them but they look interesting, need to get some bits for them, and some other crap too.

Those were state of the art before cordless tools. Called 'em donkeydicks. I've still got one, but it's got a plastic handle. Looks like yours are the OG wooden handles. The only bits I ever saw for them were phillips like yours and common.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yankee screwdriver

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Mambold posted:

Those were state of the art before cordless tools. Called 'em donkeydicks. I've still got one, but it's got a plastic handle. Looks like yours are the OG wooden handles. The only bits I ever saw for them were phillips like yours and common.

I found hex-bit adapters so that's really handy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My grandpa loved Yankee screwdrivers, but he also used Liquid Nails for everything, so take that for what it's worth.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1100877534261055519

A pro-twitter follow in general.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man Ryobi is good at making stupid stuff that I want. I can’t wait till they start selling this cordless flex shaft tool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-18-Volt-Charger-P460KN/307677581

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1100809146977402880

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

My grandpa loved Yankee screwdrivers, but he also used Liquid Nails for everything, so take that for what it's worth.

Hell, Liquid Nails on your burger, best way to keep that meat from sliding off the bun:stat::wal:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

What's wrong with liquid nails?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

I will not have this disparaging talk about Liquid Nails. I challenge you to a duel. Caulking Guns at 10 paces.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hollandia posted:

You probably dont need to use it and instead could do something else better that also can be dismantled at some point in the future

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hollandia posted:

He used it like Red Green used duck tape. For instance, liquid nails is not an alternative for when you're too lazy to go to the hardware store to pick up a specific screw or nut.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Whoa do not disparage duct tape like that hold up

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The previous owners used liquid nails to attach the garbage dump wainscoting in the basement and one of the bedrooms directly to the drywall. So I got to do much more extensive drywall repair, yay. They also couldn't be arsed to use the provided brackets to hold the dishwasher in place, so they used liquid nails to glue it to the countertop from underneath. They also used it to hold down the carpet pad seams in the basement on the concrete slab, what the gently caress.

gently caress liquid nails, I don't care what you think. It should require a permit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The PO of my place used it to attach decorative shutters to the siding. This created a bunch of little pockets between the shutters and the siding that retained moisture and lead to water damage. I'm lucky it was discovered before the siding was rotted through.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

coathat posted:

Man Ryobi is good at making stupid stuff that I want. I can’t wait till they start selling this cordless flex shaft tool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-18-Volt-Charger-P460KN/307677581

Ryobi recently made the pistol-grip inflater available in the UK, I've been waiting for that one for ages. Bizarrely the cheapest I've found it is Halfords.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

The previous owners used liquid nails to attach the garbage dump wainscoting in the basement and one of the bedrooms directly to the drywall. So I got to do much more extensive drywall repair, yay. They also couldn't be arsed to use the provided brackets to hold the dishwasher in place, so they used liquid nails to glue it to the countertop from underneath. They also used it to hold down the carpet pad seams in the basement on the concrete slab, what the gently caress.

gently caress liquid nails, I don't care what you think. It should require a permit.

Lol. Tbf, the provided brackets for my dishwasher, a Sears Elite, which is the quietest, best loving dishwasher I've ever seen- those brackets were dreck. A fuckin ginsult is what they were.

I was going to make a post about a world with load-bearing drywall held together with Liquid Nails, but you kinda beat me to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lol. Tbf, the provided brackets for my dishwasher, a Sears Elite, which is the quietest, best loving dishwasher I've ever seen- those brackets were dreck. A fuckin ginsult is what they were.

I was going to make a post about a world with load-bearing drywall held together with Liquid Nails, but you kinda beat me to it.

I replaced the dishwasher with an 800 series Bosch and basically my dishwasher’s dad could beat up your dishwasher’s dad :smugbert:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I have one of these. It’s fun as hell.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

I replaced the dishwasher with an 800 series Bosch and basically my dishwasher’s dad could beat up your dishwasher’s dad :smugbert:

Can it remove Liquid Nails? I didn't think so. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can it remove Liquid Nails? I didn't think so. :colbert:

If it were on the inside? Probably

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

If I dont have a plasma cutter how viable is using a bunch of cutoffs to cut through a 1/16th inch steel sheet and will a particulate mask/ample face protection be enough PPE or do I need something special for that? Not galvanized steel just regular rusty poo poo sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If I dont have a plasma cutter how viable is using a bunch of cutoffs to cut through a 1/16th inch steel sheet and will a particulate mask/ample face protection be enough PPE or do I need something special for that? Not galvanized steel just regular rusty poo poo sheets

Depending on how loud your cutter is, you may want ear plugs too. I was cutting 1/16" aluminum yesterday with Dremel cut off wheels without ear plugs in and my ears are still ringing.