Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Sundae posted:

There's this really cute girl I like in my bio class, and I'm pretty sure she'll go on a date with me if I co-sign her horse loan for her summer rider. My credit history isn't great, but what if I forge my dad's signature as the co-signer? Is there anything that could go wrong?

Please don't date horse lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mr.Radar posted:

While searching for an auto mechanic recently I came across this: AutoMotorPlex Garage Condominiums. Luxury garages starting at $150,000 for a 2-car space. No attached housing or even housing nearby. It's just a place to store/work on your collectable cars. For $150,000+. :psyduck:

Worth the price of admission just to be surrounded by a bunch of old rich dudes that are desperate to be parted from their money.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

when i feel bad there's always something i can buy to make me feel better

Fill that void baby

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Lowness 72 posted:

Fill that void baby

:jackbud:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Barry posted:

Worth the price of admission just to be surrounded by a bunch of old rich dudes that are desperate to be parted from their money.

Yeah, think of it as leasing business space to peddle whatever old rich men buy

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the BWM or Shadenfreude threads, but we'll go here for now.

I work with a true believer sovereign citizen. He's been trying for like a year now to not pay taxes.

He just resubmitted his W4 with 99 dependents. Can someone tell me he will go to jail so I don't have to work with him anymore.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the BWM or Shadenfreude threads, but we'll go here for now.

I work with a true believer sovereign citizen. He's been trying for like a year now to not pay taxes.

He just resubmitted his W4 with 99 dependents. Can someone tell me he will go to jail so I don't have to work with him anymore.
He's going to get slapped with an underwithholding penalty which will no doubt compound because he'll refuse to pay it. After a few years of this, the IRS will start garnishing his wages.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

While searching for an auto mechanic recently I came across this: AutoMotorPlex Garage Condominiums. Luxury garages starting at $150,000 for a 2-car space. No attached housing or even housing nearby. It's just a place to store/work on your collectable cars. For $150,000+. :psyduck:

Honestly for what it looks like you get which seems to be a garage with a usable loft space that can be plumbed and finished out it isn't a bad deal. Having priced out a detached garage with ADU it is tough to do for much less than that and some lots simply will not permit it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Report him and you might get a cut.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I have 99 problems, but a tax refund ain't one

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Honestly for what it looks like you get which seems to be a garage with a usable loft space that can be plumbed and finished out it isn't a bad deal. Having priced out a detached garage with ADU it is tough to do for much less than that and some lots simply will not permit it.

If this is in the Seattle area, I'm interested.

Racecar beds count as cars, right?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Since this is in E/N now, self-posting is presumably fully allowed?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Library says my girlfriend is on the hook for 650 dollars of movies her mom rented with her card when she was 5.

quote:

My girlfriend went down to the library today to try and get her library card replaced, and they told her that she owed 650 dollars in late fees. She asked to see the list and the dates for the charges were when she was 5 years old. Her mom had been using her card to rent the movies and never returned them. They said they're going to send her a bill at her current address (her mom's house) for the money. My question is, can they pursue this against her and ding her credit? We can't pay 600 dollars right now, but I think this should be her mother's problem, since she was a minor at the time. The only problem is, her mom is super poor, narcissitic and manipulative. She'd never pay off the bill, she already owes hundreds of thousands in hospital bills she doesn't plan on ever paying off so i doubt she'll pay my girlfriends bill. Can she still be on the hook for this? If so what should we do?

Yep, I am sure that is enforceable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Library says my girlfriend is on the hook for 650 dollars of movies her mom rented with her card when she was 5.

Yep, I am sure that is enforceable.

That's bananas. Years ago I had a couple DVDs out when my car decided to blow the head gasket. I called and asked if I could drop them off at another branch (they did inter-library loans between cities) and they were like 'nope sorry'. Then when I brought them back and went to pay the fines, they had been deleted. :iiam:

That's my tale.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

He's going to have an exciting audit, and might land himself in jail as a result of another action he takes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

He's going to have an exciting audit, and might land himself in jail as a result of another action he takes.

Well I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. He's a total rear end in a top hat so I hope he gets hosed by the IRS.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Library fines disproportionately affect the very people who can benefit from library services the most, and libraries who have done fine forgiveness see poor families and kids return to use the library in large numbers.

Libraries want people to return stuff, but fines don't really seem to be a great way to do that - people who can afford to pay them aren't particularly bothered by them, and people who can't will just not return stuff and stop using the library.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I am just going to put this here.

https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-informant-award

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

Library fines disproportionately affect the very people who can benefit from library services the most, and libraries who have done fine forgiveness see poor families and kids return to use the library in large numbers.

Libraries want people to return stuff, but fines don't really seem to be a great way to do that - people who can afford to pay them aren't particularly bothered by them, and people who can't will just not return stuff and stop using the library.

The rules are the same for everybody: it's free to borrow, bring it back on time. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I don't see this being a class problem.

Rich people don't borrow books, they buy them from Amazon and have them shipped to their house or download to their kindle.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nocheez posted:

The rules are the same for everybody: it's free to borrow, bring it back on time. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I don't see this being a class problem.

Rich people don't borrow books, they buy them from Amazon and have them shipped to their house or download to their kindle.

"it's the same for everybody" is practically the definition of regressive

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nocheez posted:

Um poor people have a much harder time going places due to bad public transportation, less free time, and such? What kind of statement is "the rules are the same therefore there's no bias"? Oh right, the same kind of statement that's "Requiring ID to vote is fine because everyone has an id, right? You just have to get to town hall to get a free state id if you don't have a driver's license".

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nocheez posted:

:can:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nocheez posted:

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

The library here has no fees. Works much better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Not a Children posted:

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

hot drat Anatole had a bangin mustache.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spwrozek posted:

The library here has no fees. Works much better.

Honestly I think they should charge people who have money and not charge people who don't, because I sure should have to pay a couple bucks if I forget to renew books but people who can't afford that really shouldn't.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

I basically only get books from the library. They are free! They are free on my Kindle too!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I still have a library book out from 3rd grade when my parents moved. I drove my old schoold this weekend, I should probably go return that book soon as I live a couple miles away.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I basically only get books from the library. They are free! They are free on my Kindle too!

Look at the (fake) poor here bros!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

crazypeltast52 posted:

I still have a library book out from 3rd grade when my parents moved. I drove my old schoold this weekend, I should probably go return that book soon as I live a couple miles away.

My favorite story was one from my hometown where a guy had a book in his closet then went to fight in WW2. It was like 47 years later when he found it in his mom's house. I forget the ridiculous sum they calculated the fees to be (over $30k?) but obviously they won't charge you more than the book cost.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Nocheez posted:

Lmao my dude if wealthy folks don't use libraries because they can afford not to, and poor people are disproportionately affected by late fees it is absolutely a class issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Lmao my dude if wealthy folks don't use libraries because they can afford not to, and poor people are disproportionately affected by late fees it is absolutely a class issue.

I think you’ll find, actually, that it is a matter of the libraries being principled on their defense of equality.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Subjunctive posted:

I think you’ll find, actually, that it is a matter of the libraries being principled on their defense of equality.

:vince:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

howdoesishotweb posted:

Look at the (fake) poor here bros!

Less spent on books, more spent on hookers and blow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spwrozek posted:

Less spent on books, more spent on hookers and blow.

You haven’t lived until you’ve railed a few lines of coke off a midget’s rear end while your domme quizzes you on the nuances of Proust.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nocheez posted:

My favorite story was one from my hometown where a guy had a book in his closet then went to fight in WW2. It was like 47 years later when he found it in his mom's house. I forget the ridiculous sum they calculated the fees to be (over $30k?) but obviously they won't charge you more than the book cost.

We just had a news story about a 49 year old late fee, but they didn’t have a fine schedule from then.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My bad, I didn't expect to spark a huge outrage with my "all people should return their library books on time" opinion.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Nocheez posted:

My bad, I didn't expect to spark a huge outrage with my "all people should return their library books on time" opinion.

WELCOME TO E/N

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nocheez posted:

Do you understand that poor people often have less time flexibility and worse transportation options than those better off? Returning a book is a very different thing when you can swing by in your car after your one 9-5 job than when you have to fit in an hour round trip between your shifts.

It is a bad opinion, because it demands more of those with fewer resources in order for them to access a public service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
But I've been told successful people work harder than unsuccessful people and are deserving of every tax-sheltered penny, so how do all these high earners...sorry, people of wealth, have all this free time to return books?