Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Kvothe, dragonslayer, kingkiller, delver-of-ancient-dungeons, lover-of-women, will-be-old-enough-to-rent-a-car-in-October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Chronicler mentions that he killed an angel as well somewhere in there. And we know he kills or at least steals Cinder's sword at some point. Man, I hope we finally get to the fireworks factory Chandrian some day.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Chronicler mentions that he killed an angel as well somewhere in there. And we know he kills or at least steals Cinder's sword at some point. Man, I hope we finally get to the fireworks factory Chandrian some day.

Yeah he does mention "I can totally tell that this is the guy who's killed angels!!!" at one point, which I guess means he tangled with the Amyr? I dunno.

Also, we totally don't know that he killed Cinder. People are just guessing from Abenthy's whole letter about "Remember your father's song. Be wary of folly." and the sword being called Folly. So who knows, we may not even have gotten to the Chandrian once, beyond the stupid bandits thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

Actually he does most of them in the first two books.

Gods: Pretty sure it heavily implies that this one guy is secretly a god, whatever

I think this part refers to the Omnipotent rear end in a top hat Tree. Or maybe Felurian but probably the rear end in a top hat tree that knows everything and fucks with people as much as it can.

pikachode posted:

i'm almost thirty and the deeds of my youth have already faded into legend

JRPG syndrome.

Save the world as a teenager and seen as an old person of legend before middle age.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think this part refers to the Omnipotent rear end in a top hat Tree. Or maybe Felurian but probably the rear end in a top hat tree that knows everything and fucks with people as much as it can.

JRPG syndrome.

Save the world as a teenager and seen as an old person of legend before middle age.

I seem to remember some god-guy in Felurian's stories was one of the random people Kvothe meets.

Also twenty-five! He's apparently 25 going on 40!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kchama posted:

He’s so young, Chronicler marveled. He can’t be more than twenty-five. Why didn’t I see it before? He could break me in his hands like a kindling stick. How did I ever mistake him for an innkeeper, even for a moment?
oh and now we're supposed to believe that kvoeth isn't a power bottom

way to break my immersion

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

idiotsavant posted:

oh and now we're supposed to believe that kvoeth isn't a power bottom

way to break my immersion

Bast wants to gently caress so bad, but Kvothe is playing coy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I picked up The Wise Man's Fear from a free book box randomly and read it without catching it was a part of a "Trilogy." I thought that treating the reader like they knew what had happened to this guy before was a variation of the whole "had a pirate adventure NBD."

It was a better experience and it makes me want to write a scifi or fantasy novel that is billed explicitly as the second book of a trilogy but never write/release the other two.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Kchama posted:

We don't know where the Waystone Inn is either. It's just in a village called Newarre.

Where is Newarre? Who knows! :iiam:

it's anywhere

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I picked up The Wise Man's Fear from a free book box randomly and read it without catching it was a part of a "Trilogy." I thought that treating the reader like they knew what had happened to this guy before was a variation of the whole "had a pirate adventure NBD."

It was a better experience and it makes me want to write a scifi or fantasy novel that is billed explicitly as the second book of a trilogy but never write/release the other two.

I, too, wish George Lucas never created the prequel trilogy for Star Wars.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Still laughing at sex ninjas not understanding reproduction

When a dude orgasms, they're just like, "loving gross, why do they do that" lmao

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"A cat isn't the same as a person."
"gently caress, that shot holes right into my argument of how reproduction in mammals works....can't wait to blow this whole reproduction thing apart when I get back to wizard school."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wasn’t a very critical reader when I first read these books but that part made me squint at the page a bit and irked me for a while afterwards. In retrospect it was what led to realizing Rothfuss’ many other shortcomings as a writer.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"A cat isn't the same as a person."
"gently caress, that shot holes right into my argument of how reproduction in mammals works....can't wait to blow this whole reproduction thing apart when I get back to wizard school."

I honestly think we're overly mocking the little tidbit where the sex ninjas don't believe that sex causes pregnancy in humans. It's a quirky belief, but it's not a major plot point or even an important part of their culture or anything, it doesn't drive gender politics or anything weird.

People in real life (a lot of people) believe that the Earth is 6000 years old, that if you eat a cracker it literally transforms to the flesh of a zombie Jew who was supposedly tortured to death 2000 years ago and it was all literally told in accurate stories written down sometimes hundreds of years later and translated across languages and it doesn't matter how many children you rape so long as you say sorry a perfect omniscient benevolent God sends you to an eternal happy place if you say he's in charge.

Is men have no role in pregnancy really that much of a stretch in a pre-scientific world with a talking tree that sees all possible futures and is incredibly malicious alongside magic and alchemy and poo poo?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
OK, Pat.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's not like believing that a goddess makes the crops grow, because that's unverifiable. It's more like not believing that planting seeds in the ground makes crops grow, despite seeing it happen plenty of times. Even the most primitive society can figure out cause-and-effect when there is actual observable data. The ancient Greeks may have believed in Demeter, but they still figured out to plant crops, because otherwise they would have starved to death.

So yeah, it's a pretty dumb excuse for promiscuous sex ninjas.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

People in real life (a lot of people) believe that the Earth is 6000 years old, that if you eat a cracker it literally transforms to the flesh of a zombie Jew who was supposedly tortured to death 2000 years ago and it was all literally told in accurate stories written down sometimes hundreds of years later and translated across languages and it doesn't matter how many children you rape so long as you say sorry a perfect omniscient benevolent God sends you to an eternal happy place if you say he's in charge.

I'll pray for you, friend.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't think of anyone, including priests, who think communion literally transmutes bread and wine to flesh and blood in a cannibalistic ritual. :shrug:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I honestly think we're overly mocking the little tidbit where the sex ninjas don't believe that sex causes pregnancy in humans. It's a quirky belief, but it's not a major plot point or even an important part of their culture or anything, it doesn't drive gender politics or anything weird.

Is men have no role in pregnancy really that much of a stretch in a pre-scientific world with a talking tree that sees all possible futures and is incredibly malicious alongside magic and alchemy and poo poo?

The problem is that, as presented, instead of faux anthropology of a fictional civilization we end up with a "non-westerners have weird beliefs, amairite?"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Again, the point is not to demonstrate the variety of belief systems across cultures. It's to create a plausible scenario in which even you, the dorky reader, could get laid.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't think of anyone, including priests, who think communion literally transmutes bread and wine to flesh and blood in a cannibalistic ritual. :shrug:
i believe this, and know it to be true. the catholics hunger for the flesh of the jews, jesus was just a symbol, like the scapegoat, but without the scape part as they literally eat him in the form of alchemised tissue discs. i did communion twice in my life and the worst part is that i enjoyed the taste of his heavenly meat

pikachode fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 20, 2019

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

pseudanonymous posted:

i am secure in my faith

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
keep in mind that i also don't believe male ejaculation has anything to do with pregnancy, as i like many of my friends am the product of a virgin birth

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That's not what transubstantiation is. The "substance" that is transformed is the food's metaphysical nature, independent from its physical attributes. It's loopy, but it's no loopier than the physical/metaphysical distinctions in every spiritual tradition on the planet.

Edit: The "Roman Catholic Church" section of the Wikipedia page that you linked is many, many words articulating just that.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 20, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we are overplaying it, but it's just the bit we're making fun of for the time being. Eventually we'll move on to making fun of him for how shittily he's trying to do foreshadowing. "Kvothe is a Lackless everyone!" he screams between lines.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's not what transubstantiation is. The "substance" that is transformed is the food's metaphysical nature, independent from its physical attributes. It's loopy, but it's no loopier than the physical/metaphysical distinctions in every spiritual tradition on the planet.

Edit: The "Roman Catholic Church" section of the Wikipedia page that you linked is many, many words articulating just that.

I mean okay and not to start a semantic debate but on some level they "literally" do think it's the body and blood of Christ.

quote:

The Catholic Church asserts that the consecrated bread and wine are not merely "symbols" of the body and blood of Christ: they are the body and blood of Christ.[51] It also declares that, although the bread and wine completely cease to be bread and wine (having become the body and blood of Christ), the appearances (the "species" or look) remain unchanged, and the properties of the appearances also remain (one can be drunk with the appearance of wine despite it only being an appearance). They are still the appearances of bread and wine, not of Christ, and do not inhere in the substance of Christ. They can be felt and tasted as before, and are subject to change and can be destroyed. If the appearance of bread is lost by turning to dust or the appearance of wine is lost by turning to vinegar, Christ is no longer present.[52][53]

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
People literally believe the bread they are eating is 2,000 year old zombie jew-god flesh.

Why does anyone think its surprising that 'vaccines cause autism' is a thing?

Or that people like Name of the Wind.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lotta Rothfuss fans, smdh

I also just remembered that Kvothe is in a shipwreck, but it gets completely glossed over because his DM needed him to end up in a city without any gear for the encounters he had pre-planned.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Was that the pirate adventure that gets mentioned in WMF? I'm convinced that whole thing is a calculated move by Rothfuss to market a novella at some point.

Well, was, since he's seemingly given up actually writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Was that the pirate adventure that gets mentioned in WMF? I'm convinced that whole thing is a calculated move by Rothfuss to market a novella at some point.

Well, was, since he's seemingly given up actually writing.

No that was him "subverting expectations" and all that other flowery bullshit people use to describe their favorite garbage author as if they were good. Especially since he brushes it off with a "well you know how it went" and then he proceeds to spend several hundred pages talking about stuff like casting Call Lightning on a bandit camp and sexing up Felurian with his virginal prowess that went exactly as the myths say they did.

e: Oh wait, my mistake, Kvothe's retelling of Felurian and everything else is even more fantastical than the myths he's "clearing up."

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 21, 2019

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ElGroucho posted:

Lotta Rothfuss fans, smdh

I also just remembered that Kvothe is in a shipwreck, but it gets completely glossed over because his DM needed him to end up in a city without any gear for the encounters he had pre-planned.

Yup. When I read this I thought to myself "Kvothe just got Metroided!"

UD: To have all of the abilities, equipment, powerups, etc, removed from a character in a videogame. Often happens at the start, or just before the start, of the game. Occasionally happens in the mid-to-late stages, but usually doesn't last for long.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
is PR the new GRRM?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

branedotorg posted:

is PR the new GRRM?

GRRM had a writing career before ASoIaF and he co-wrote a decent novel (Hunter's Run) after starting ASoIaF so no.

Rothfuss is more like the Vermeer of writing, see.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

eXXon posted:

GRRM had a writing career before ASoIaF and he co-wrote a decent novel (Hunter's Run) after starting ASoIaF so no.

Rothfuss is more like the Vermeer of writing, see.

He also wrote a lot more ASoIaF books than Rothfuss did Kingkiller and wasn't out there saying poo poo like "oh yeah all 3 books are totes written already I'll put out one per year" around the time the first came out. GRRM looks bad because pretty much the entire run of the TV show has happened since he put out the last one but I still think Rothfuss is way more embarrassing

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GRRM had a long career with some legit good works before Game of Thrones so nooo waaayyy

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think its popular to hate GRRM. I think he's also an extremely talented author that most people dream of being able to write as well as. With Rothfuss, people joke about the weird sex stuff and its a legitimate criticism because there are no other strengths for his books to fall back on if you remove it. With Martin, you can make fun of whatever you want, his writing is still loving solid and story interesting.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

porfiria posted:

I mean okay and not to start a semantic debate but on some level they "literally" do think it's the body and blood of Christ.

That qoute basically says the same thing he said, it reads like to me... I think you *are* starting a semantic debate and should be v ashamed of yourself.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
The thing about extreme beliefs is that the faithful are vehement and zealous. The Ademre on the other hand are only ever amused to have their core beliefs questioned. It’s a wild tone mismatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

branedotorg posted:

is PR the new GRRM?

The first three ASOIAF novels are great, the next two suck poo poo

The first Kingkiller ok, the next one sucks, and the last one is never coming out, so no, he is not GRRM

ed: My favorite new thing to think about it is "what if Rothfuss wrote someone else's book?"

The Old Man and the Sea: "But a man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."

The Sea Gentleman: "But the sea was like a stone in his pocket, smooth and cold to the touch, like a beautiful woman, lurid in the moonlight, which is like the reflection of an eternal love, which is like the warmth of a flickering lantern"

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 21, 2019