Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ebola Dog posted:

Have you tried sticking a bunch of drain cleaner/sanitiser down the drain yet? Could just be you have some bacteria growing in the trap or something.

This was going to be my suggestion. I have the same issue because the shower drain is on a very, very shallow incline so has water sitting in it constantly, most of the time that works as an effective trap but you have to dump some phosphoric acid down it every now and then to keep it clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you take a house spider outside, it'll just die.

The spindly, almost transparent ones are adapted for indoors, yes, but how do you think they get into your house in the first place? And you can always relocate, eg, from bedroom to utility closet.

In any case, things like grass or wolf spiders--proper outdoor spiders--can be moved outside without issue.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

This thread is the anti-gbs. Terrified of fire in all of its forms, madly in love with venomous spiders. It's "kill the fire with spiders" rather than the usual.

I don't mind spiders, but the widows in my garage get killed because they tend to web on disused-but-not-always outdoor equipment and I just don't want to deal with them, but house spiders are fine usually until they scare the wife. Then they get moved outside.

I guess there's a certain kind of real fast black spider about the size of a dime which I kill on sight because they've bitten me for no reason too many times and it hurts. Not sure what they are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I once flung a giant house-spider out the bedroom window and a sparrow caught it mid-air so yes, spiders die outside :ohdear:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ebola Dog posted:

Have you tried sticking a bunch of drain cleaner/sanitiser down the drain yet? Could just be you have some bacteria growing in the trap or something.

I have bleach, will that do the trick?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

GotLag posted:

I have bleach, will that do the trick?

I've not done it with straight bleach before myself but it might help. Just avoid mixing bleach with other cleaning chemicals that might cause a bad reaction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shortspecialbus posted:

This thread is the anti-gbs. Terrified of fire in all of its forms, madly in love with venomous spiders. It's "kill the fire with spiders" rather than the usual.

I don't mind spiders, but the widows in my garage get killed because they tend to web on disused-but-not-always outdoor equipment and I just don't want to deal with them, but house spiders are fine usually until they scare the wife.
Tell your wife to stop being scared of spider friends.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i light a candle for this thread every night

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The spindly, almost transparent ones are adapted for indoors, yes, but how do you think they get into your house in the first place?

:thejoke:

sneakyfrog posted:

i light a candle for this thread every night

same. i leave it on top of a towering pile of newspapers, next to the window that doesn't close all the way

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

GotLag posted:

For crappy construction content, when I have my shower first thing in the morning sometimes when the water starts running I get a whiff of sewer for a few seconds. My almost entirely uninformed guess this is something to do with a trap, but is there anything cheap I can do about it?

Do you have well water? Is it just the shower, or does it happen with hot water in sinks and stuff too? If it's a sulfur smell from the hot water source, rather than coming up from the drain, an aluminum anode in your water heater can help. Or if you get that smell in your cold water too, a whole-house carbon filter or green sand system should fix it.

The aluminum anode is $50ish, and the carbon filter or green sand system can be upwards of a grand, so hopefully it's just on the hot side.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The spindly, almost transparent ones are adapted for indoors, yes, but how do you think they get into your house in the first place?

They're born there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

same. i leave it on top of a towering pile of newspapers, next to the window that doesn't close all the way

you forgot an oscillating fan intermittently blowing on the newspapers

you amateur

absolute sillyhead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I actually keep a candlestick by my keyboard in case I'm nerding and can't be arsed to get up and turn on the light when it starts getting dark.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jerry Cotton posted:

I actually keep a candlestick by my keyboard in case I'm nerding and can't be arsed to get up and turn on the light when it starts getting dark.

Just turn the brightness up

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Jerry Cotton posted:

There are these things called "lamps" you could look into

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Chairman posted:

I have one on the desk but the switch is on the cord so it's behind the table. When did they stop putting the switches either on top of the shade or on the base? I thought this one had it on top when I bought it but turns out it's just a weird knob meant for ???.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Chairman posted:

Don't want to pay for the gas.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get a clapper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Get a clapper.

They'll applaud if I can be arsed to turn on the light?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Positive reinforcement works.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Excellent idea. If the candle falls over and lights the papers on fire, then the wind from the open window will surely blow the fire out.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

Get a clapper.

Like the one I have the space heater plugged into? I clipped the wires to the fan in the heater because it was too noisy, so I just leave the heater on all the time. Don't move the wire, though! It smells funny and makes a buzzing sound if you do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Bloop posted:

I've seen some poo poo you people wouldn't believe.
Black widows in a fuel filter under a gas pump in Florida.
I watched compound eyes glitter in the dark near the jungle of Saipan.

Scarodactyl posted:

All these spiders will be lost to time, like bedbugs in a mound of diatomaceous earth.

:golfclap:
I just wanted to let you know this was appreciated.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Make sure the drapes are free to sway in the breeze.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JoshGuitar posted:

Do you have well water? Is it just the shower, or does it happen with hot water in sinks and stuff too? If it's a sulfur smell from the hot water source, rather than coming up from the drain, an aluminum anode in your water heater can help. Or if you get that smell in your cold water too, a whole-house carbon filter or green sand system should fix it.

The aluminum anode is $50ish, and the carbon filter or green sand system can be upwards of a grand, so hopefully it's just on the hot side.

Mains water, only in the shower, and only for a few seconds at the start. The smell is like stale decay. I poured some bleach down it 12 hours ago so I'll see if that helps.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cakesmith handyman posted:

I once flung a giant house-spider out the bedroom window and a sparrow caught it mid-air so yes, spiders die outside :ohdear:

Similar thing happened to me, except it was a labrador. Nature: red in tooth and claw.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What kind of birds do you have that can take a labrador?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GotLag posted:

What kind of birds do you have that can take a labrador?

Golden eagle?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

Golden eagle?

Delicious fox :yum:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

NewZealand had a bigger eagle until the Maori hunted out the moa that the eagles hunted.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Before the most recent ice age there was a swan that stood as tall as a human. I'd like to have seen that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Before the most recent ice age there was a swan that stood as tall as a human. I'd like to have seen that.

As long as it's not anything like real swans or Canada geese, I'm OK with it. If it is like those, then no, I'm OK without that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Azza Bamboo posted:

You know the extinction of giant (presumably rear end in a top hat) swans makes me think that once upon a time god didn't hate us all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Diatryma grew to a height of around 2.25 meters. See also the Gastornis genus.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

crazypeltast52 posted:

NewZealand had a bigger eagle until the Maori hunted out the moa that the eagles hunted.

Moa:

Haast's Eagle hunting moas.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress swans and geese.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress swans and geese.

And peacocks.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Moa:

Haast's Eagle hunting moas.

In case anyone is wondering, the 50 pound eagles killed 500 pound moas by dive bombing them and breaking thier necks. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PainterofCrap posted:

Golden eagle?

It feels like the magpie at the bottom of the frame is mugging for the camera.