Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Evil Fluffy posted:

People think Erikson is good even though Malazan is like someone managed to vomit word salad in 4D.
You have basically described Finnegans Wake, and I am now much more interested in Malazan than I imagined I could ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pacho posted:

My guess is that it's like that episode of Firefly about how you don't need sex to feel validated as an adult but also you totally do

Huh?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

The one where some noble wants his son to lose his virginity with Inara. Can't remember the name of the episode. Inara talks with the kid about how sex is not really gonna make him a man, fucks him anyway and he suddenly finds the courage to stand up to his dad. So yeah, a "cake and eat it" situation. In Kvothe's case I got the impression that Rothfuss wanted him to be all woke and beyond bro-ish attitudes but at the same time needed him to be sexually validated because he can't escape the old notion that a hero needs to gently caress

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
also much like the rothfuss books, firefly has poo poo writing and its creator is a sex creep

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
to be fair rothfuss only comes across as a creepy weirdo whereas whedon is at the very least an actual abuser

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

also much like the rothfuss books, firefly has poo poo writing and its creator is a sex creep

It's got the overly snappy writing that feels like a genre unto itself. The sort of writing that feels like it was made to frame lines for tshirts and other merch.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

This is what will happen, but on a bigger scale.

"My dear readers! With all the delays, so many people pointed out that there's a lot to cover in the third book, almost as if it's unreasonable, and they might have been right. So I've expanded it! Expect book three soon, and books four, five, six, seven, eight, and nine soon after that! Thanks! Don't forget to visit me at the forty-seven cons I'm going to this year - autographs will be about $45 a pop. I'll be sitting down with the Penny Arcade guys, where they'll draw comics about how we're all great friends and how my two books are the bestest ever."

GRRM seems - at least from what I can tell in his public interviews - to feel lovely for not finishing his books quickly enough. He has that guilty dog look of not wanting to make eye contact and is like "I'm working to make it the best I can, please be patient while I try, try, try". He's also involved in the business side of things, earnestly talking about the Hugos and editors and illustrators. Rothfuss plays tabletop games for fans to cheer him on and says this:

Vulture Interview posted:

“They don’t realize this is so wearying,” he said with a sigh when we spoke a few weeks ago. “It’s like asking, ‘When are you going to get married? When are you going to go to law school?’ It’s like, just gently caress off. Just die. I don’t need any more of that in my life.”

It still amazes me the Stephen King can write a fantasy series in between writing other books and getting absolutely destroyed by a minivan.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Hotbutt posted:

It still amazes me the Stephen King can write a fantasy series in between writing other books and getting absolutely destroyed by a minivan.

and the quality reflects that

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

and the quality reflects that

and yet still way better than Rothfuss

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

Not really.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

they are robot wolves with Dr Doom hoods, lightsabers and exploding Harry Potter snitches. All of these things are mentioned by name

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tim Burns Effect posted:

they are robot wolves with Dr Doom hoods, lightsabers and exploding Harry Potter snitches. All of these things are mentioned by name

But how is the prose?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

no lies detected

King might have problems, but he makes page turners. I can't tell you how many times I've yelled "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOU.... MOVE THE STORY" in traffic while listening to Rothfuss on audio book

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

to be fair rothfuss only comes across as a creepy weirdo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
gross

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

in the way that one turd can smell better than another, different turd i guess

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm so horny for kvothe, the 17 year old ginger

Lmfao

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

The only thing i've read from King was the first Dark Tower book and it was... boring. I've heard that the series picks up after he second book but the first one really put me off. Can't really compare it with Rothfuss because they are really different but I wouldn't call, at least that book, better

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wouldn't know I've never read anything by Stephen King

Dreamcatcher is a masterpiece of modern film though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
His novellas are better than his novels and his short stories are better than his novellas

But lmao at putting Rothfuss in the same level, let alone the same building as King or GRRM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

His novellas are better than his novels and his short stories are better than his novellas

But lmao at putting Rothfuss in the same level, let alone the same building as King or GRRM

I'm curious as to what level he actually sits at. I'm not cruel enough to say Rothfuss and Kevin J Anderson are on the same level, but I'm hard pressed to think of a comparable writer to match against Rothfuss. From what context and background I'm familiar with I'd go with David "The name of the main French Republic expy villain is Rob S Pierre" Weber.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Terry Brooks?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

What in the hell is this?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PJOmega posted:

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/07/why-i-love-my-editor/

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I'm so horny for kvothe, the 17 year old ginger

Lmfao

That's Rothfuss himself B

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PJOmega posted:

An image from Rothfuss, noted feminist.

mewse
May 2, 2006

“The truth was, I’d been focusing all my energy on Name of the Wind for years while book two just sat their gathering dust.” — NYT best selling author

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

:emptyquote:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

I really, really hope they moderated the hell out of that comment section. Otherwise it's even worse that no one called him out on that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
[quote="ElGroucho" post=""492907469"]
gross
[/quote]

You don''t want to have a three way with two attractive women (or men, if that's your thing) wearing cat ears before you die? That's an experience you have no interest in?

Weird.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

idiotsavant posted:

to be fair rothfuss only comes across as a creepy weirdo whereas whedon is at the very least an actual abuser

Whedon is (or was, before his sexcreep stuff came out) one of the people Rothfuss idolizes. Not sure if he rejected Whedon or doubled down afterwards but considering Rothfuss looks like the kind of guy who kidnaps and eats hobos and how he writes women as props I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out the same.

my bony fealty posted:

That's a bar so low you'd need an excavator to find it, though.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hope Rothfuss isn't a pet owner.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm curious as to what level he actually sits at. I'm not cruel enough to say Rothfuss and Kevin J Anderson are on the same level, but I'm hard pressed to think of a comparable writer to match against Rothfuss. From what context and background I'm familiar with I'd go with David "The name of the main French Republic expy villain is Rob S Pierre" Weber.

I really don't see David Weber poo poo on enough.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

I really don't see David Weber poo poo on enough.

Is that the dude with the lady captain and her stupid space cat?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Is that the dude with the lady captain and her stupid space cat?

Sure is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Imagine thinking Robespierre was a villain in the first place