Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
People weren't too fond of the Emoji Movie parodying Handmaid's Tale, so they probably made the right call there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

the pope as a child-eating crocodile

That's just the Space Pope though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp. Our Dark Phoenix art leaked.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 26, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Welp. Our Dark Phoenix art leaked.

Is there some non-obvious reason why it's bad for people to be voluntarily sharing advertisements for a movie? Assuming you're talking about the poster, it doesn't seem to show anything we didn't already know about the movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's embargoed until tomorrow when the trailer comes out. There's a strategy to the release and an order. When something gets leaked it makes our system and our people look bush league and lacking security. It's embarrassing, basically. That said, it's generating buzz which is nice for the company but marketing doesn't really get credit for that. Accidentally backing into hype based on your own ineptitude doesn't have a silver lining for the marketing department.

All that said at least it wasn't the mechanical or layered art, it's just an impression of the art itself. It will be pretty easy to track down the leak and then at least one head will roll.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ah, okay. I was just seeing links that talked about how it revealed Jean Grey as the villain, which seemed odd when the existing trailer already did that. It being embarrassing professionally makes sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Ah, okay. I was just seeing links that talked about how it revealed Jean Grey as the villain, which seemed odd when the existing trailer already did that. It being embarrassing professionally makes sense.

I would argue the title does that as well.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I would argue the title does that as well.

Yeah, though that at least requires some familiarity with the franchise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looked it up. Are they seriously dressing Phoenix exactly as they did Phoenix is X-Men 3? Who the gently caress came up with this awful poo poo?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Well this is directed by the same guy who produced X-men 3: Simon Kinberg.

The thing about reboots is that they don't work if it's being made by the same shitheads every time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Simon Kinberg wrote The Last Stand, not produced. But, yeah, this is his first time directing, attempting to "do it right" this time, which apparently means a remake with a worse cast. It's going to be awful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Good thread

https://twitter.com/realTomCody/status/1100455263285534720

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

apparently means a remake with a worse cast

The great casting is pretty much the only thing the last half-dozen X-Men films have going for them

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

morestuff posted:

The great casting is pretty much the only thing the last half-dozen X-Men films have going for them

Plenty of good actors in them, but swapping out Famke Janssen for Sophie Turner is a big step down and that's the focus of the movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She's a fifty-five year old woman, there is no way the studio wouldn't replace her at this point.

And I'm not saying I agree, just the sad reality.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looked it up. Are they seriously dressing Phoenix exactly as they did Phoenix is X-Men 3? Who the gently caress came up with this awful poo poo?

At least you aren't alone with people being angry about a jacket.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm confused. Is the new X-men movie just a retelling of the same story from the third one? And if so, why? Isn't it set before it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alternate timeline.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

Plenty of good actors in them, but swapping out Famke Janssen for Sophie Turner is a big step down and that's the focus of the movie.

Each their own, I guess.

I barely remember Turner in the ones that I've seen but I don't really think of Famke as anything special in the originals, either. Like 90% of her performance was just making this face

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She's a fifty-five year old woman, there is no way the studio wouldn't replace her at this point.

And I'm not saying I agree, just the sad reality.

Oh, sure, that's gonna happen. But this isn't exactly a replacing Patrick Stewart with James McAvoy or Ian McKellen with Michael Fassbender level swap.

morestuff posted:

I barely remember Turner in the ones that I've seen but I don't really think of Famke as anything special in the originals, either.

She was both not amazing in the originals and much better than her replacement.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 26, 2019

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Almost Blue posted:

I'm confused. Is the new X-men movie just a retelling of the same story from the third one? And if so, why? Isn't it set before it?

It's the single most famous X-Men story, and I guess they figure X3 stunk enough no one's going to get up in arms if they tell it again, but tell it well this time. As for time-lines... who cares?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That GRIP.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This one's my favorite because I guess they thought Ernest Borgnine was playing Snake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's the single most famous X-Men story, and I guess they figure X3 stunk enough no one's going to get up in arms if they tell it again, but tell it well this time. As for time-lines... who cares?

And they can't do the other most famous one, House of M, because that's how they're going to get mutants into the MCU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

This one's my favorite because I guess they thought Ernest Borgnine was playing Snake.

That one kinda reminded me of the home video cover for Chato's Land.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Phoenix poster has been officially posted now.
https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/1100455705457319936/photo/1

Is that evil Beast on the baddie side?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why is that idiot from ready player one still wearing the headset? That was a different movie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how long until Disney done buying Fox?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Tye Sheridan and Sophie Turner are just so loving blaaaaaaaaaand

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix poster has been officially posted now.
https://twitter.com/XMenMovies/status/1100455705457319936/photo/1

Is that evil Beast on the baddie side?

Someone please edit Lusting For Death guy over whoever that is in the bottom right corner.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's so loving boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They actually got Jennifer Lawrence back for this? I thought she was done with it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Alternate timeline.

The X-Men movies have finally become just as confusing as the comics it's based on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

New Detective Pikachu poster

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The perspective of that room on the top floor is borked.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I worked at WB as an assistant I always tried to delicately suggest fixing perspective issues when I was in the lightbox because apparently even Executive Vice Presidents are completely blind to them if they never had any art training.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone please edit Lusting For Death guy over whoever that is in the bottom right corner.

How's this?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm alright with that. :allears:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

They actually got Jennifer Lawrence back for this? I thought she was done with it?

I think she has contractual obligations but has been successful in limiting the amount of time she has to be in the makeup chair, which IIRC is one of her biggest gripes about the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This owns