Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's $4. Something twice that much is $8. How badly do you really need to cheap out on tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Javid posted:

It's $4. Something twice that much is $8. How badly do you really need to cheap out on tools?

He rasped:dadjoke:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

I know Harbor Freight isn't exactly a go to around here, but is there any reason to avoid something as simple as a rasp from them?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-rasp-set-33865.html

At half the price of the 4 way rasps I'm seeing seems like it might be worth a risk.
I use some cheap HF files in between a good rasp and sandpaper and I guess they're ok? Those look like they have about 4 teeth on them and are super coarse. They do look very badly hand cut though, for better or worse.

E: because the reviews on HF stuff are always funny (the handles apparently fall off):

A reviewer posted:

Sharpens well...handles suck
I was able to sharpen my garden tools to ninja sword sharpness...but the cheap handles kept falling off and made my fingers hurt... but the price was good so I'm not slamming this product
I would love to see the tools he sharpened with a coarse rasp.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 27, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok a touch cutesy-pretentious, but it’s all about the “sale” when it comes to fundraising auctions, right?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Javid posted:

Answer: as much as possible.

Probably not that badly though, point taken. Thanks everyone for slapping sense into me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I spent like $9 on a long rasp with swappable blades at Home Depot when I needed one and it's served me well for quite a while.

Feenix posted:

Ok a touch cutesy-pretentious, but it’s all about the “sale” when it comes to fundraising auctions, right?

The kind of people who attend charity auctions are exactly the crowd that kind of marketing is aimed at. Let us know how much that beautiful piece goes for!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Javid posted:

The kind of people who attend charity auctions are exactly the crowd that kind of marketing is aimed at. Let us know how much that beautiful piece goes for!

exactly.

You did good imo

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just impulse purchased a tablesaw from Aldi for $100. I know its not going to be great, but I have been wanting a table saw for ages, and options in Australia are limited to say the least. Probably going to build my own stand for it, and add some safety features like a riving knife, but pretty excited about it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NPR Journalizard posted:

and add some safety features like a riving knife
......how do you plan to do that?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm the idiot that doesn't measure twice and screwed up a zero clearance insert on my DeWalt contractor saw.

I went to cut the notch for the riving knife and extended the slot on the wrong end.

Also with the way the fence runs on a cogged rail, there wasn't a very good place to clamp a board over the insert to hold it down while I cut the insert, and the fencer doesn't sit flush to the surface to hold the insert down... So when I eventually order a new insert I'd appreciate some advice on how to clamp a board to the table top and hold the insert down while I cut it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MetaJew posted:

I went to cut the notch for the riving knife and extended the slot on the wrong end.

hahaha

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Congrats on your two zero clearance half plates I guess? :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I'm the idiot that doesn't measure twice and screwed up a zero clearance insert on my DeWalt contractor saw.

Also with the way the fence runs on a cogged rail, there wasn't a very good place to clamp a board over the insert to hold it down while I cut the insert, and the fencer doesn't sit flush to the surface to hold the insert down... So when I eventually order a new insert I'd appreciate some advice on how to clamp a board to the table top and hold the insert down while I cut it.

The red text works well here.

I almost did the same thing lol.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

......how do you plan to do that?

Havent worked that bit out yet, but it will be a good thinking exercise anyway.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MetaJew posted:

What?

agreed

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MetaJew posted:

Pretty easy to roll your own out of some 3/8” (or whatever thickness the insert is) plywood with some veneer shims to get it just right. Carpet tape the original to the plywood and band/jigsaw+flush trim rout. As for clamping it down-just clamp a board over it? Not sure how that part is at all hard.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MetaJew posted:

1. put the insert in
2. adjust the leveling screws on the insert so it's level with the top of your table
3. move your fence on top of the insert but not on top of the blade
4. start the saw and raise the blade

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

Thanks! I will. Honestly, the school is a great school but serves a lot of families with lower income. It’s going to be a fairly casual affair. (I’ve been to some ridic. auctions in my time...) I’ll just be pleased to see the school get some money for it, and hopefully someone feeling like they scored on a unique-ish piece.

(That said, it’s a paddle auction, not a silent one, and I don’t know if my fragile sense of accomplishment can take low bids. I may instruct my wife or someone to at least bid 50 on it. Heh.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sockser posted:

1. put the insert in
2. adjust the leveling screws on the insert so it's level with the top of your table
3. move your fence on top of the insert but not on top of the blade
4. start the saw and raise the blade

The rack and pinion on the bottom that the fence rides on is not a good place to clamp to, and the aluminum fence isn't all that stiff. In addition, there's a bit of a gap between the surface of the table top and the bottom of the fence. So, when I initially tried this, the zero clearance insert pushed out of the throat. This caused the insert to tilt off axis just slightly and seemed kinda sketchy. Maybe this is fin, but it doesn't seem ideal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pretty easy to roll your own out of some 3/8” (or whatever thickness the insert is) plywood with some veneer shims to get it just right. Carpet tape the original to the plywood and band/jigsaw+flush trim rout. As for clamping it down-just clamp a board over it? Not sure how that part is at all hard.

I suppose that's not a bad idea. I did recently get a router, but I don't have a router table so flush trimming it would be a bit awkward.

This is the insert, it has a few little barbs/teeth to try and lock itself under the table.

There really isn't any good clamping surface on this type of surface, unless I'm just missing something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

MetaJew posted:

The rack and pinion on the bottom that the fence rides on is not a good place to clamp to, and the aluminum fence isn't all that stiff. In addition, there's a bit of a gap between the surface of the table top and the bottom of the fence. So, when I initially tried this, the zero clearance insert pushed out of the throat. This caused the insert to tilt off axis just slightly and seemed kinda sketchy. Maybe this is fin, but it doesn't seem ideal.

I've just done this twice the past few weeks on the same saw

Get the fence on the left side of the blade

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sockser posted:

I've just done this twice the past few weeks on the same saw

Get the fence on the left side of the blade

I'll try that if I get around to getting another insert. I had the fence a few millimeters to the right of the blade when it pushed out. I guess since the arbor is on the left side, putting the fence on the left would be a good idea.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Is there a formula to making tapered legs look good? Friend wants to make a wee liquor cabinet and this is an excuse to build a tapering jig, but my design looks kinda..... poo poo?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the fence rides above the surface, jam a shim inbetween the surface and the insert to hold it down?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Is there a formula to making tapered legs look good? Friend wants to make a wee liquor cabinet and this is an excuse to build a tapering jig, but my design looks kinda..... poo poo?

Start the taper right below (or leave a small 1/4” flat) the cabinet-that’s the main reason yours looks terrible. Generally though, only taper the inside faces (like you did) and taper to slightly more than one half the width of the leg. This varies some spending on the size of the leg etc. but it’s a good rule of thumb not to leave less than half the width or it starts looking very spindly.

My gut feeling on your drawing is that I would just keep the tapered part as you have it drawn and make the cabinet bigger to cover the straight part of the leg, but draw it with a longer taper too-it might look better

MetaJew posted:

I suppose that's not a bad idea. I did recently get a router, but I don't have a router table so flush trimming it would be a bit awkward

This is the insert, it has a few little barbs/teeth to try and lock itself under the table.

There really isn't any good clamping surface on this type of surface, unless I'm just missing something.
You can just run the router on the insert, no router table required. Or clamp the router upside down in a vice and you have a tiny, free router table.

Why not just take the fence off and clamp a board from left to right across the saw if there’s nothing to clamp to (and I promise, with big enough clamps there is always something to clamp to)?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sockser posted:

If you are keen on building jigs then go ahead, but they certainly aren’t necessary. I tapered the legs on a bedside table and hall stand using a hand plane. Didn’t take long at all, and you can get an idea of the shape as you go, giving your more options if you want to stop early.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

Sockser posted:

It's about proportions and how the lines lead into each other. As someone else mentioned, try and get the taper to run up to the cabinet closer. Right now you have kind of squat legs and a tall cabinet. Are there space concerns making you do two shelves instead of one long shelf?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I feel like tapering with those proportions of cabinet to legs isn't really going to help unless you can extend the taper into the cabinet itself. AIUI tapering is about visually slimming the piece, making it look lighter / more graceful. But with the leg length you have there, about all you can accomplish with tapering is make the legs look too thin for the bulk they have to support.

I will also say that I think tapering is one of those things where you don't need much of it. I put a half-inch taper on a 30"-long square leg (from 1.5" down to 1") and I think that's probably about right for the design I was going for (don't have photos handy right now, sorry). It's more about subconscious visual impressions than it is about people being able to look at it and see "oh yeah, that leg is tapered".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

I'd eliminate that knee break- technically, not a joint- make it smooth and tapered, but it's a matter of what's pleasing to the eye- specifically your friend's eye.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Made the desk top over the last weekend and it went really well. T&H was great, nice staff, and has a shitload of solid wood and sheetgoods. They had 5/8" Baltic Birch which was the perfect thickness for the desk, glued and screwed it with 1" screws on a 6"x6" grid starting 3" from the edges. Cut it to the final dimensions of 58"x28".

Only part that could be better was the paint. Did you know that you're supposed to leave latex paint alone once you lay it down? I didn't. Some spots are nice and smooth, some are pretty rough. Might end up repainting this weekend.

Thanks for the advice, especially on the baltic birch!

Next project is to make is a dresser to fit in my closet under my clothes rack. Debating on re-purposing the dressers I have by just cutting down a drawer, or building something from scratch. The dresser's are made out of melamine'd particle board, so not sure how paintable that is. The particle board seems to be really low quality too, and is attached by weird pegs that have a turning nut that grabs it from the side. Really wobbly and crap all around.

If I do build my own, I'm thinking something like this

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/a972e3cb-e81b-4025-84d7-46b2a5f17093/Dresser-Mk2

Not sure how to do the corners really, I have them as rabbeted, but I would need a lot of clamps to do this all at once. My googling leads me to believe that hardwood plywood would probably be the best bet for painting.

Ideally no screws, but not really married to that since it'll be painted anyway.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Radial Arm Saws. A good / bad idea?

I was thinking of trying one out since the thing I hate about my miter saw is that it can't sit flush against the wall, and I don't want to shell out $600 for the Bosch Glide. But like $75 or $100 for an old radial arm saw seems maybe worth a gamble?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tres Burritos posted:

I was thinking of trying one out since the thing I hate about my miter saw is that it can't sit flush against the wall, and I don't want to shell out $600 for the Bosch Glide. But like $75 or $100 for an old radial arm saw seems maybe worth a gamble?

Someone earlier in the thread was even using theirs to rip wood.

If you need a ton of 90* cuts, I can see it being pretty handy. Are these pretty finicky to tune into odd angles?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They're more dangerous than other kinds of saw. You get versatility in exchange, but personally I find them sufficiently scary that I stay away.

If you're not going to use that versatility, though, then I question why you'd get one. Surely you can solve your storage issues some other way?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tres Burritos posted:

If you’re willing to come to the Philly burbs to pick it up you can have mine for free

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Tres Burritos posted:

They are big and take up a lot of room and can't make compound miter cuts.

Your better off just building some cabinets around your miter saw to utilize the space.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I don't post Workstuff here often but I figured this would be pretty funny. I spend a lot of winter running around hauling trees out of the woods (storm damage, root lifts, dangerous trees, etc) and milling them. I'm working on a gigantic 12' wide curved boardwalk/overlook and since I need to rip giant wedges to deck around the curve, I've started milling slabs and cutting them down in the field.

It.. pains me a little. Typically use white oak, ash, walnut and cherry with a side order of red elm when I can find it.

13' long cherry, 2" thick and about 19" wide

:v:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Can I have your cut offs?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

They are big and take up a lot of room and can't make compound miter cuts.

Your better off just building some cabinets around your miter saw to utilize the space.

Oh contraire, Senor, but they can. It's cludgy, but radial arms are the original compound miter cut makers. The problem with a lot of the older ones is they have some slop up to 1/2 degree or more, and you can't cinch it down and it's infuriating. :argh:

edit- before DeWalt was known for anything else at all, before cordless was even on the drawing boards, their 12" radial arms were the thing to have if you built cabinets and trim on site.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 1, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Oh contraire, Senor, but they can. It's cludgy, but radial arms are the original compound miter cut makers. The problem with a lot of the older ones is they have some slop up to 1/2 degree or more, and you can't cinch it down and it's infuriating. :argh:

edit- before DeWalt was known for anything else at all, before cordless was even on the drawing boards, their 12" radial arms were the thing to have if you built cabinets and trim on site.

That is what Dewalt started as, they made the first from what I can remember.

I didn't think they could do the compound cuts, miter yes. I havent even seen one in probably 20 years though. My grandfathers scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, big rear end blade just spinning freely no guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

I don't post Workstuff here often but I figured this would be pretty funny. I spend a lot of winter running around hauling trees out of the woods (storm damage, root lifts, dangerous trees, etc) and milling them. I'm working on a gigantic 12' wide curved boardwalk/overlook and since I need to rip giant wedges to deck around the curve, I've started milling slabs and cutting them down in the field.

It.. pains me a little. Typically use white oak, ash, walnut and cherry with a side order of red elm when I can find it.

13' long cherry, 2" thick and about 19" wide

:v:
That just seems way to good to use as decking. Do y'all just use it because it's free?

Tres Burritos posted:

They're pretty good for making crosscuts, and can cut much wider stuff than most sliding mitre saws. They get a reputation for being dangerous because they used to be advertised as a wonderful magical multitool that could rip and be a shaper and overarm router and cross cut dados and people actually used them for all that. Even crosscutting, they are more dangerous than a chop saw because they are climb cutting-the blade is spinning towards you and you are pulling the saw towards you-it wants to jump forward and eat you-and the wider crosscut capacity also means on the the return trip, its not uncommon for the cut-off to get between the blade and the fence and get thrown/kick back. There are blades specially ground for radial arm saws/climb cutting that aren't as aggressive and mitigate that danger somewhat. People do it, but be really careful and know what you're doing if you use one to rip stuff.

JEEVES420 posted:

That is what Dewalt started as, they made the first from what I can remember.

I didn't think they could do the compound cuts, miter yes. I havent even seen one in probably 20 years though. My grandfathers scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, big rear end blade just spinning freely no guards.
I have a huge old (50's or 60's) 16" blade DeWalt that I only run a 14" blade on and it still scares the poo poo out of me. It has a 5hp 230v single phase 30A motor and when it fires up it probably pulls close to 50A and noticeably dims all the lights in the shop. I got it cheap, and it's great for busting up the 20" wide hunks of 8/4 sapele that walk in the shop occasionally, but it has too much slop in the guide rail to be useful for anything very precise (and it's scary). The Original Saw Company still manufactures a DeWalt clone (I think with the original tooling etc. from when DeWalt quit making them) domestically. I need to paint mine DeWalt yellow so it matches its litte baby brother that gets much more use.

Take the guards off your saws on occasion to remind yourself what a terrifying beast you are actually using:

Back when my shop was shiny and clean and not covered in dust: