Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hypnolobster posted:

I don't post Workstuff here often but I figured this would be pretty funny. I spend a lot of winter running around hauling trees out of the woods (storm damage, root lifts, dangerous trees, etc) and milling them. I'm working on a gigantic 12' wide curved boardwalk/overlook and since I need to rip giant wedges to deck around the curve, I've started milling slabs and cutting them down in the field.

It.. pains me a little. Typically use white oak, ash, walnut and cherry with a side order of red elm when I can find it.

13' long cherry, 2" thick and about 19" wide

:v:

drat, nice. What are you using to mill those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

That is what Dewalt started as, they made the first from what I can remember.

I didn't think they could do the compound cuts, miter yes. I havent even seen one in probably 20 years though. My grandfathers scared the poo poo out of me as a kid, big rear end blade just spinning freely no guards.

Lol, grandpa probably threw the guard away cause it blocked his view. Yeah, no guard, scary as hell like nightmares from those cartoons with the big sawmill blade.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Little trashy Simplicity band mill, but we're getting a Woodmizer LT40 in fairly soon. Not my first choice, but they're good mills that have been around for a drat long time.

and yeah, we use it because it's free and the wood is easy to get. I guess I didn't actually mention that I work for a park system on trails, so the wood is always coming down everywhere and there's always more than we can even go pick up. Our crappy little sawmill cost about $4200, and it's milled well into the $70,000+ range worth of lumber over 6 years. Obviously time and related comes out of that, but it lets us do things that would be completely impossible otherwise due to upfront cost of projects. The public loves to see park resources go right back into the park too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unrelated to your post but how do you like that miter saw table? That's pretty soon on my list of things to build for the shop and am curious how you liked that setup as I'm evaluating a couple different options.

Hypnolobster posted:

Little trashy Simplicity band mill, but we're getting a Woodmizer LT40 in fairly soon. Not my first choice, but they're good mills that have been around for a drat long time.

and yeah, we use it because it's free and the wood is easy to get. I guess I didn't actually mention that I work for a park system on trails, so the wood is always coming down everywhere and there's always more than we can even go pick up. Our crappy little sawmill cost about $4200, and it's milled well into the $70,000+ range worth of lumber over 6 years. Obviously time and related comes out of that, but it lets us do things that would be completely impossible otherwise due to upfront cost of projects. The public loves to see park resources go right back into the park too.

What region of the country are you guys in and do you sell off any lumber?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That Works posted:

What region of the country are you guys in and do you sell off any lumber?

Northeast Ohio, and we don't but I do have tons of offcuts from the mill/bad lumber (punky, grain runout, too much figure :v:, all the bark slabs, etc) and I set it out by the road and the public attacks it like vultures. Most of it is just firewood but there's the occasional gem and I'm sure people wet their pants when they get lucky and find it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hypnolobster posted:

Northeast Ohio, and we don't but I do have tons of offcuts from the mill/bad lumber (punky, grain runout, too much figure :v:, all the bark slabs, etc) and I set it out by the road and the public attacks it like vultures. Most of it is just firewood but there's the occasional gem and I'm sure people wet their pants when they get lucky and find it.

I would! Always looking for smaller milling stuff nearby. Cool looking stuff, I'm jealous!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Helping a buddy build a speaker cab

More or less done, waiting for the screen frame to dry and then put some splines in it and attach the screen and then it's finishing time

But you can't have a cab without a sweet badge on it, right?

So trying to come up with ways to make a badge for it, settled on doing a laser cut/etching. It'd be cool for the badge to match the sweet curly birch of the cab itself, but gently caress if I want to go track down a nice sheet of 1/4" birch plywood to cut out a 3"x1" little baby scrap from it.

Can I.... resaw plywood? There's a ton of leftover 3/4" scraps, and only one face needs to be good

Further wrinkling the matter- I don't have a bandsaw yet so I'd be doing some poor man's tablesaw resawing, if that matters any for this

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Unrelated to your post but how do you like that miter saw table? That's pretty soon on my list of things to build for the shop and am curious how you liked that setup as I'm evaluating a couple different options.
It's good. I have since added another 12' of table to the right so it can hold 16' stuff easily, and a piece of plywood screwed to the top in line with the saw fence to act as a longer fence. One day I'll make the fence taller so I can clamp stops to it and undercut the face of the fence 45 degrees so dust doesn't push the work out of square. I think I sort of adapted the plan from this https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/miter-saws/how-to-build-a-miter-saw-table/ but I built it all out of 3/4" ply.

As I built it, the little cubbies under the table aren't quite big enough to store sawblades in (cuz I'm a dummy) but are big enough to lose stuff in-I'd probably do that differently next time, and covering it all in laminate would be nice too some day. The basic design is pretty much a torsion box and quite stiff. If I had built it out of 3/8" ply with 2x4's on the bottom like the article I think it would still be plenty stiff and much lighter/semi-portable enough to just sit on top of sawhorses instead of having permanent legs. If you're going to be working with crown, definitely make a taller fence or some little cradles.

e: I like this a lot better than a portable saw stand just because stuff doesn't fall off all the time and you have some space to stick stuff- but if you need the space/flexibility the portable saw stands work fine.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 1, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

More or less done, waiting for the screen frame to dry and then put some splines in it and attach the screen and then it's finishing time

So trying to come up with ways to make a badge for it, settled on doing a laser cut/etching. It'd be cool for the badge to match the sweet curly birch of the cab itself, but gently caress if I want to go track down a nice sheet of 1/4" birch plywood to cut out a 3"x1" little baby scrap from it.

Can I.... resaw plywood? There's a ton of leftover 3/4" scraps, and only one face needs to be good

Further wrinkling the matter- I don't have a bandsaw yet so I'd be doing some poor man's tablesaw resawing, if that matters any for this

Cutting an itty-bitty piece of scrap on a table saw, I highly recommend doing- a thing no one said ever. Be careful. Yes, you can resaw it, why not? There's no law

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Sockser posted:

I would see if anyplace that sells and cuts plywood had any scraps.

You certainly CAN resaw plywood, if you really want to.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sockser posted:

attach it to a bigger piece of wood/good luck RIP

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't mean I was going to take a baby scrap and cut it down

Take a sizable piece, resaw it, then cut it down to size. Cmon now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For a 3x1 scrap, you could also just resaw it by hand.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For a 3x1 scrap, you could also just resaw it by hand.

You uh... raise a valid point. Guess I'm just trying to find a way to try something new instead of going the obvious and sensible route.

Thanks yall

e: actually, thinking about it more, I can probably just jam a poo poo chisel in and split the plies without sawing

Sockser fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 1, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I mean, you could soak it first, which breaks down the glue and makes it easier to delaminate. I bet if you made 3 or 4 of them, at least one piece would give you a side that was still usable/didn't break in half, and with some sanding it'd probably look fine once it re-dried.

Typing that out, just taking the saw to it sounds simpler.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

I didn't mean I was going to take a baby scrap and cut it down

Take a sizable piece, resaw it, then cut it down to size. Cmon now.

We have to assume the worst here. Always. Sure, take a 2-3 foot piece, resaw as much as you want, kill the motor or whatever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

We have to assume the worst here. Always. Sure, take a 2-3 foot piece, resaw as much as you want, kill the motor or whatever.

Aw see you've got me all worried again. Which part of this is the kill the motor part? Resawing on a table saw in general, or is it something intrinsic to plywood? Like this is def a handsaw job at this point but knowlege is power, esp if I ever plan on resawing anything else with my table saw

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think he just meant turn the saw off. Backing out of a cut on a table saw is fairly dangerous, so just push it in as far as you need to cut, hold it in place, and turn the saw off. If you want it to stay flat(er) make sure the face and the back both have the grain going in the same direction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would expect delaminated plys to warp like hell, though? Surely the whole point of plywood is that by alternating the grain 90 degrees for each ply and using shitloads of glue, you take what would be hella warpy sheets of thin wood and turn them into super stable flat stuff.

I mean I'd still experiment with it a bit. Maybe if you manage to peel off a single sheet, you could epoxy it to a thin piece of steel or something to keep it flat?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah but a 3/4" piece resawed in half should still have a ply each way, more or less. It'll be less stiff than a true 1/4" piece but for a logo it will be stiff ENOUGH

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think he just meant turn the saw off. Backing out of a cut on a table saw is fairly dangerous, so just push it in as far as you need to cut, hold it in place, and turn the saw off. If you want it to stay flat(er) make sure the face and the back both have the grain going in the same direction.

Yes. Don't burn up the motor for this project, NO NEED!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

The motor on a tablesaw is not going to burn up from a resaw cut in plywood. But also yes, use larger stock, rip in and bump the saw off with your knee or whatever while controlling the piece.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The way I’ve seen it done previously, and tell me if this is dumb and bad (maybe I pulled this from Steve Ramsey?) was to do four cuts around the perimeter of a board each like 1/3 of the width, and then handsaw apart what’s left, not just running the whole board through with the blade all the way up

Really wish I could find a good bandsaw on Craigslist

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No reason to effort anything fancy like that for a 1x3" piece. Feed it into the saw 6 inches, turn off saw, pull back material, cut off what you need.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As with a lot of projects you could have done it by hand in the time taken to discuss it :v:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Picked up a couple pine 2x10s for the coffee table, both look pretty similar and are basically cut right through half the heart. I've heard that part can cup or warp, but the grain was wavy and looked too great to pass up. Am I asking for trouble?

Also had pretty narrow growth rings, this sucker is gonna be heeeeeavy.

*Edit* and any recommendations on a good 101 walkthrough on wood inishing? Seems like a lot of varied information out there, so if anyone can point me in the right direction much appreciated.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 3, 2019

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
This is slightly woodworking related since its involves cutting and finishing some wood.
I have been putting my trash and recycling bins under this little built in counter/table surface in kitchen. Its always a mess down there and its been a source of annoyance for the last 6 years I have owned this house.

I built a rolling cart to hold the trash can, recycling bin, and added storage for paper bags and broken down boxes. The trash is now out of sight, the dog can't get into it anymore, and I can wheel it over to the counter if I'm cooking and have a lot of scraps to throw away.

It's mostly 1/2" 16 gauge steel square tube. 1/2" cherry veneer plywood on the front.

asmasm fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 3, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The extra section for boxes and cardboard is not something I would have thought to do, but now definitely will if I ever do something like that

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

asmasm posted:

This is slightly woodworking related since its involves cutting and finishing some wood.
I have been putting my trash and recycling bins under this little built in counter/table surface in kitchen. Its always a mess down there and its been a source of annoyance for the last 6 years I have owned this house.

I built a rolling cart to hold the trash can, recycling bin, and added storage for paper bags and broken down boxes. The trash is now out of sight, the dog can't get into it anymore, and I can wheel it over to the counter if I'm cooking and have a lot of scraps to throw away.

It's mostly 1/2" 16 gauge steel square tube. 1/2" cherry veneer plywood on the front.

Jesus you drink a lot of coffee if you have a Pro Bunn grinder in your house.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Cheap craigslist bunn with ditting burrs in it. I think there is a website that offers the conversion now but they are charging $$$ for it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So my kid’s school auction was last night. Fun time.
My cheeseboard was a “last bid wins” cumulative auction. It’s where each person bids 25 bucks and the last person to bid wins, but all the money is kept even for non winning bids. I lost count but it was in the thousands before it was done. Lol!
I know that’s not a true representation of the value of what it fetched, but it was neat to be a part of it.

The guy who did win it got in a bidding war with a mom who really liked the board. He ended up probably cumulatively bidding 400+ dollars for it. But that’s not the best part of the story.

At the end he walks over to me and is like “so you made this?!” And I was like, yeah, just a fun hobby. Turns out he’s a parent of two kids at my son’s school and is the owner (or high up, I don’t know, I’d had a few drinks and it was noisy.) of Made in Washington, a local chain of stores in WA that sell local gifts and art and specialty items. He ripped my contact/care card off of it, gives the cheeseboard to the mom who really wanted it, and then tells me he’s going to contact me if I’m interested in making them to sell in their stores.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Feenix posted:

My cheeseboard was a “last bid wins” cumulative auction. It’s where each person bids 25 bucks and the last person to bid wins, but all the money is kept even for non winning bids. I lost count but it was in the thousands before it was done. Lol!
I know that’s not a true representation of the value of what it fetched, but it was neat to be a part of it.

The guy who did win it got in a bidding war with a mom who really liked the board. He ended up probably cumulatively bidding 400+ dollars for it. But that’s not the best part of the story.

At the end he walks over to me and is like “so you made this?!” And I was like, yeah, just a fun hobby. Turns out he’s a parent of two kids at my son’s school and is the owner (or high up, I don’t know, I’d had a few drinks and it was noisy.) of Made in Washington, a local chain of stores in WA that sell local gifts and art and specialty items. He ripped my contact/care card off of it, gives the cheeseboard to the mom who really wanted it, and then tells me he’s going to contact me if I’m interested in making them to sell in their stores.

Nice!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feenix posted:

YESSSS!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Right place, right time. My current gig came about through similar chance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Feenix posted:

Congrats!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mean who knows what the gently caress it actually means or if the guy will wake up and not even remember, but it was flattering and cool and I should probably find a place in Seattle to more reliably source not insanely priced hunks or live edge slab.

But it made my night all the same.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Doing some rip cuts with a circular saw and a strait edge clamped to the wood. That is no fun.

I smell a table or bandsaw in my future.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 4, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

wenge was a mistake

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Bob Mundon posted:

Doing some rip cuts with a circular saw and a strait edge clamped to the wood. That is no fun.

I smell a table or bandsaw in my future.

What do you mean it isn't fun? Like you aren't getting good cuts or you don't feel comfortable doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

wenge was a mistake
Aw I love it! About the most stable wood in service I know of. Did you get a hand full of splinters? It will make some nasty ones.