Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

The audacity of the absolute Legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I'm moving soon and so will have to change gyms (which is actually good since I've been getting sick of the way my Professor does things and so I'm excited to try another gym out). There happens to be a pretty good gym near where I'm moving to, has a couple of black belts who train and teach there and the head professor seems to teach there also, doesn't travel around or anything too much for what I understand (he is a 5th degree).

Question: what do you guys look for or ask about when trying out a new gym? There are a couple of others in the area I might try out if the above gym doesn't impress me but I'm not sure what to look for.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mekchu posted:

How often do your gyms do a "gauntlet" for sparring?

By that I mean, you have a set group of guys sitting on the mat and then the rest of the class goes through each of them for the time period. So they start with person A snd go through the rest in order until person F

We usually use it for positional sparring but its done a lot more often here than what my last 2 gyms did do I'm curious.

We do that for situational stuff, but not free rolling, if that makes sense. Normally we try to pass guard/sweep out of it.

Unrelated: we were training take downs last night and I spiked my big toe in the mat. That should not have hurt as much as it did. I've never experienced a toe swelling before, and certainly not a large, instant toe bruise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

HamsterPolice posted:

Question: what do you guys look for or ask about when trying out a new gym? There are a couple of others in the area I might try out if the above gym doesn't impress me but I'm not sure what to look for.

Same thing as if your starting out plus an addendum.

Is the mat clean? Are the people douchebags? How does the professor teach classes? Does it look like he focuses mainly on his competition folks while all the hobbiests are left to fend for themselves?

I'd also be looking to see how the professor tends to pair partners or rolling partners if he does it at all. Does he pair high belts with everyone to spread the experience or does he keep the Brown/Purple/Black segregated into their own pool? If you're a ultra/super/regular heavyweight and your professor and high belts are all rooster/feather/light weights does the professor mix his high belts in or does he keep them segregated?

I like my professor and school, but if I had gotten my blue belt under him I would have been a technically inept blue belt, because depending on how my life is going at the time I can easily be a regular/super/ultra heavyweight and him and his high belts run between the 130-165 range and he segregates the big dudes into their own pool and it kinda shows.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

How often do your gyms do a "gauntlet" for sparring?

By that I mean, you have a set group of guys sitting on the mat and then the rest of the class goes through each of them for the time period. So they start with person A snd go through the rest in order until person F

We usually use it for positional sparring but its done a lot more often here than what my last 2 gyms did do I'm curious.

We do this but in a "pass the guard" style format where if you pass someones guard, its you thats now playing guard. I like it because everyone has different ways of attempting to pass and defend and you get to see it all in one class.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

Unrelated: we were training take downs last night and I spiked my big toe in the mat. That should not have hurt as much as it did. I've never experienced a toe swelling before, and certainly not a large, instant toe bruise.

I rolled my big toe under my foot bumbling a double leg about 4 months ago and it still isn't 100%, someone accidentally dove onto it and only it while passing guard yesterday and I had to call it an early night.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Every single class we devote 15-20 minutes to king of the mat or shark tank positional drills.

King of the Mat has 3-4 people on the mat, everyone else in a line, some simple rules of engagement, and it's a winner stays loser goes to the back of the line situation. Shark Tank is a similar situation with a line up and a row of victims, but instead the person on the bottom has to stay in for the entire round.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Sounds broken.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool. So my next questionnis how often you spar. Our school doesn't do the typical 30m8ns sparring at the end bud does full drilling for the class length etc. So the days we do sparring all class are fun and at least interesting to do because people try new stuff more readily compared to previous schools I've been at.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
30-60 minutes free rolling after every class and two days a week of open mat.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My gym has two evening classes during the weekdays. The first class is a beginner class. No positionals or free rolling is involved, only the move of the day for about an hour. The second class is the standard class. Class lasts for about 45 minutes, then usually some sort of positional work, and then free rolling until people stop afterward. The weekends have some open mats which I haven't checked out yet.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Sounds broken.

After looking at some pics, I think I agree. Have you dealt with one before? If so, how long did it take you to be 'comfortable' being active on it again? I conveniently go to a podiatrist on Tuesday, but I would like to pause my membership before then if recovery is going to take a few weeks.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Different toes came with different requirements. I've broken my pinky toes a few times and always ignore it/tape it so I never missed anything. I broke my "index" toe last year and hosed up some tendons in my foot so that took much longer. About a month away from heavy activity but it still bothered me a while after.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Breaking the big toe is bad, you can’t walk normally, your stride changes, you can develop weird hip/knee problms as a result of walking weirdly for months. The other toes don’t really matter though, you can just strap them to the (bigger) toe next to it.

After a crush injury on my big toe I had trouble finding comfortable shoes for years. Turns out I was just walking badly with one foot, the one that had been injured, I had to train myself to make my footfalls natural again and suddenly all my shoes were fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Cool. So my next questionnis how often you spar. Our school doesn't do the typical 30m8ns sparring at the end bud does full drilling for the class length etc. So the days we do sparring all class are fun and at least interesting to do because people try new stuff more readily compared to previous schools I've been at.

Our classes follow a rough pattern of 30 mins warmup, 30 mins technique, then 15-20 mins positional drilling, and whatever is left over goes for free rolls. The class actually ends with "ok, that's everything for the day - grab a mouthguard, grab a partner, and the timer is set to 5 and 1 - don't break your toys."

The 30 mins "technique" expands or contracts a bit depending on what we're doing, and our warmup includes lots of useful drills.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Sensei asked me to demo the techniques of the day today. First time being asked to do so and I've been here for almost two years now. Made it through most of the techniques with minimal issues. I am on cloud 9.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just to bring this back for closure. Mountain lion guy hit the thing with a rock.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
and so, the world becomes a little less magical

edit: also it was a 40lb kitten? Come on dude you could have just smacked it and it would have bolted ffs

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dude's story is pretty crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBrRRcrZCA

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

oh man I know that trail

saw a black bear on it one time and I chased it off

bitch rear end black bears

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

bitch rear end black bears

like bigger more annoying raccoons. porcupines are scarier

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

like bigger more annoying raccoons. porcupines are scarier

yeah, one of the advantages of growing up in the woods is knowing which animals are the punks of the animal kingdom

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah, one of the advantages of growing up in the woods is knowing which animals are the punks of the animal kingdom

yeah call me when someone takes down a fisher in hand to hand combat

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

yeah call me when someone takes down a fisher in hand to hand combat

A mountain lion you can chase off with a bop to the nose but if you piss off a goose you best be prepared to kill that goose

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't know what kind of raccoons you guys are around but the ones I've seen will buck up to you with all their friends they don't give a gently caress.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Good morning!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Its been awhile since its been said I think.

Hey goon what with the jitsu clothing line. Whens that reap knees for satan rashguard? American XXL wants one two, because I just remembered youre shipping out of Australia.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I’ll take a medium of

Defenestrategy posted:

Its been awhile since its been said I think.

Hey goon what with the jitsu clothing line. Whens that reap knees for satan rashguard? American XXL wants one two, because I just remembered youre shipping out of Australia.

Iirc it’s coming when Australian tax returns come through.

Put me down for a Satan one and a ground karate one when ready (mediums)

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Ground Karate medium for me, definitely.

Also, competed in my second event this past weekend. Cut ten pounds only to find out that there was no one in my weight class and get moved back up to where I started.

After an abysmal first match where I literally pulled the guy into side control twice (a botched suicide throw and an unfortunate whizzer roll) but regained half guard before he could establish true control, I went on to win my division.

Then I met Arnold and Tim Kennedy and saw a bunch of guys who I would describe as “gently caress he’s big!”, so it was a great time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess I've committed to doing some competitions this year, somewhat accidentally.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I had a moment where I got to roll with a true newbie. I never realized how much I have learned than when I was effortlessly controlling the guy all round. Felt good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't quit watching videos from this channel; the quality of the rolls and the videos themselves is so good.

https://youtu.be/GMeIlHY-zxk

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hey gang, how do you all make the most out of instructional tapes? Watch all the way through and see what sticks? Watch it technique by technique and try when rolling? Get a partner for drilling? I assume that final one would be the ideal, but outside of that how do you best make instructional content stick with you?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can't quit watching videos from this channel; the quality of the rolls and the videos themselves is so good.

Whats said is that while you are watching this, I am watching STREETBEEFS

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whats said is that while you are watching this, I am watching STREETBEEFS

I, unironically, love streetbeefs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JaySB posted:

I, unironically, love streetbeefs

I am not sure if its ironic or unironic for me, I just find it fascinating to see what fighting looks like when people are really bad at fighting.

Like, it helps you appreciate the elegance of boxing or MMA to see it done at the lowest level4

for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QxiSAPU6RQ

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 4, 2019

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't really know anything about him but Roy Dean rings a lot of weirdo alarm bells for me

e: and that's already considering being a bjj obsessed weirdo

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The "stickied" video on his channel rung some bells for me too, but watching someone test for 3rd dan blackbelt had already impressed me wrt the channel. Someone give me a different channel full of technically competent , well shot rolls.

Or I'll just watch another STREETBEEFS, I just saw some fat slob get tapped to basically the mount position. Just the position, it defeated him.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

roy dean is almost definitely not allowed within 500 yards of a grade school

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hey gang, how do you all make the most out of instructional tapes? Watch all the way through and see what sticks? Watch it technique by technique and try when rolling? Get a partner for drilling? I assume that final one would be the ideal, but outside of that how do you best make instructional content stick with you?

Basically, at this point, I'm going to watch the entire thing through once, maybe half assed, and see some "cool" things and attempt those for a few weeks.

Then I'm going to watch the videos again on the specific points where I've been failing in an attempt to clean them up.

There's usually too much information density for me to really absorb things off the hop, so I'm going to focus on control positions, and getting to the move, rather than the move itself.

Case in point, I'm going through the Leglock stuff from everyone's favorite rash guard enthusiast. I've watched the videos a little bit in the past, and now I'm going back through them to clean up the technique, now that I have a base level understanding of the positions. Initially I focused on the saddle from Craig Jones' stuff (cross ashi garame), and now that I've been in that position a bunch, I'm re-watching that section to pick up on the rest of the subtlety that John has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Wangsbig posted:

roy dean is almost definitely not allowed within 500 yards of a grade school

Seriously.